Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

RME

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 09:44:53 am
It's really pretty simple we made a mercenary hire in Long. He's not a native or an alum. Now, it can work with a "hired gun", but you have to acknowledge it for it is going into that type of transaction. Further, you have to understand that not all mercenaries are equal, and able to perform and excel the same. Knowing that, you have to have the mindset, going in, that if said hired gun can't accomplish the mission, you terminate the relationship and its next up.
There's no doubt in my mind an AD with ties to the school is going to work a little harder, a little longer and be more invested in the end product day in, day out.

[CENSORED] it. David Bazzel for AD. Scooter Register for head coach.

In one fell swoop, we've saved Arkansas football. Let's call it a day, boys.

Kevin

how did this guy get hired, when the football program at pitt tanked under him?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

factchecker

Quote from: Kevin on September 14, 2017, 04:04:27 pm
how did this guy get hired, when the football program at pitt tanked under him?

Pitt football previous 5 years before Long's arrival:  30-29
Pitt football during Long's 5 years: 32-28
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Kevin

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 04:12:23 pm
Pitt football previous 5 years before Long's arrival:  30-29
Pitt football during Long's 5 years: 32-28

played in the fiesta bowl, then he hires dave wannstedt.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

factchecker

Quote from: Kevin on September 14, 2017, 04:17:33 pm

Who ended up being a pretty good hire.

Wannstedt finished up at Pitt with a 42-31 record.  He went 9-4, 10-3, and 7-5 his last three seasons.  Not great but sure a hell not tanking.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 14, 2017, 04:17:33 pm

....then he flatly refused to fire him when the program tanked. If Arkansas hadn't offered him the AD job, he would have eventually been fired from Pitt.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:20:49 pm
....then he flatly refused to fire him when the program tanked. If Arkansas hadn't offered him the AD job, he would have eventually been fired from Pitt.

Wannstedt finished up at Pitt with a 42-31 record.  He went 9-4, 10-3, and 7-5 his last three seasons.  Not great but sure a hell not tanking.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:20:49 pm

More Guvism's.....

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 04:23:21 pm
More Guvism's.....

Get on a Pitt board and ask them what they think of Jeff Long. You won't like their responses.

Kevin

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 04:22:53 pm

turned it around under new ad

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:27:46 pm
Get on a Pitt board and ask them what they think of Jeff Long. You won't like their responses.

I couldn't care less what they have to say, I'd put their thoughts right up there with yours. Everyone craps on the guy that leaves.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 04:45:49 pm
I couldn't care less what they have to say, I'd put their thoughts right up there with yours. Everyone craps on the guy that leaves.

They were crapping on him before he left. Many wanted him fired.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:47:32 pm

How many, do you have a definitive number, can you provide a link to this number?

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:27:46 pm

Which Pitt board did you visit to discern this information?

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 04:47:32 pm

Pathological lying (also called pseudologia fantastica and mythomania) is a behavior of habitual or compulsive lying. It was first described in the medical literature in 1891 by Anton Delbrueck. Although it is a controversial topic, pathological lying has been defined as "falsification entirely disproportionate to any discernible end in view, may be extensive and very complicated, and may manifest over a period of years or even a lifetime". Individuals may be aware they are lying or may believe they are telling the truth. Sometimes, however, the individuals may be lying to make their lives seem more exciting when in reality they believe their lives are unpleasant or boring.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: GuvHog on September 14, 2017, 09:03:31 am
Long knew about it as did everyone in the BAC. The Long huggers are scared to death that the truth will come out and Long will be exposed. Hoggycat has them on the run though. Notice that None of the Long huggers have bothered to accept his offer to buy their lunch and look at the evidence he has.
Stay focused. This poll ain't bout Bobby, or anything else. Don't let the Jeffies distract you and get you distracted about something that happened 6 years ago. Keep it on Jeff.

Hogs-n-Roses

4+ days, 2799 views, 256 people voted so far. 177 of them feel Jeff Long is not the guy for Arkansas. That's just short of 70%.30 % feel like he should stay. Only 11 percent wit Coach B.

Hogs-n-Roses

I notice that people are still voting on this. With there being 2 distinct sides its prolly best that comments are left out. I do wonder why there are so many views and not as many votes.

KennyForAD

The man is a fink.  A rat fink who threw us under the bus so he could promote himself.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 17, 2017, 01:04:18 pm
I do wonder why there are so many views and not as many votes.

Views are inclusive of repeat views......Viewers can vote only 1 time.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 10:04:29 am
Jeff Longs notes regarding the Petrino incident...

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jeff-long-notes.pdf

Bobby Petrinos Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bobby-petrino-personnel-file.pdf

John Fagg's notes

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jon-fagg-notes.pdf

Jessica Dorrell's Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jessica-dorrell-personnel-file.pdf

Gee thank's... A little "light" reading never hurt anyone... I wonder if the percentage rate of complete readership is compatible with poster vitriol; and if Steef can come up with a ratio via poll to determine who is "bitchier" between people who read all to completion, people who read a little and got tired(me) and/or people who can bearly reed or don't won't too read two much to soon..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

wachhog

It
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 10:07:22 am
Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992.  Our first four head coaches were for the most part smashmouth coaches and during our first 16 seasons we never once made it to a BCS bowl or finished higher than 15th in the polls.  Some of us said for years that we COULD be a better program than we appeared to be, that we merely needed a better coach and the right approach, as in right for Arkansas.  We hired that coach in 2008 and by the end of 2011 we had played in the Sugar Bowl and finished in the top five.

It seemed obvious that the winning pattern had been identified.

So what does Long do?  He hires not just A smashmouth coach, but maybe THE smashmouth coach.  Again, a lot of us said at the time that it seemed foolish to try to out-Saban Saban and wondered why we hadn't learned anything from what had just happened. 

Long hired a name, but not the right name for Arkansas.  A sledgehammer can be a useful tool but if you are trying to change the battery in your watch it's not the best choice for the job.  I honestly don't think Long understands Arkansas, the SEC, and what it takes for us to be successful on the field.  That shouldn't surprise anyone, because he apparently didn't comprehend what it would have take at Pitt, either.
One wonders if there aren't some old smash mouth GOB dinosaurs still telling the AD what hires to make.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: wachhog on September 17, 2017, 02:01:31 pm
It One wonders if there aren't some old smash mouth GOB dinosaurs still telling the AD what hires to make.

Yes, and they ran off the Springdale Jesus too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig Worshipper

The problem isn't Jeff Long. I really don't like the high buy-out but, if you're able to have some perspective, Long has done a good job at Arkansas.

Our biggest problem, in my opinion, is do we play finesse football or power football? Bret Bielema, as much as I like him personally, is done. Oh, he will linger at least two, maybe three more years but he is done. To out-Alabama Alabama with power football would have taken a very disciplined approach. Bielema would immediately have had to begun a methodical Jim Grobe-style redshirting of all incoming linemen. He didn't do it and it doomed his opportunity here.

But, with our recruiting handicaps at Arkansas, an unusually disciplined redshirting program for linemen (no exceptions, all freshmen linemen are redshirted) is the only way the Hogs can ever be successful at smash mouth football, in my opinion. We are almost as far from being a power football team right now as we were the day Bielema was hired. That's on him.

Finesse football is the quickest way back to a possible 10-win season and I expect that's the kind of coach Long will hire in 2-3 years.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 17, 2017, 02:55:43 pm
The problem isn't Jeff Long. I really don't like the high buy-out but, if you're able to have some perspective, Long has done a good job at Arkansas.

Our biggest problem, in my opinion, is do we play finesse football or power football? Bret Bielema, as much as I like him personally, is done. Oh, he will linger at least two, maybe three more years but he is done. To out-Alabama Alabama with power football would have taken a very disciplined approach. Bielema would immediately have had to begun a methodical Jim Grobe-style redshirting of all incoming linemen. He didn't do it and it doomed his opportunity here.

But, with our recruiting handicaps at Arkansas, an unusually disciplined redshirting program for linemen (no exceptions, all freshmen linemen are redshirted) is the only way the Hogs can ever be successful at smash mouth football, in my opinion. We are almost as far from being a power football team right now as we were the day Bielema was hired. That's on him.

Finesse football is the quickest way back to a possible 10-win season and I expect that's the kind of coach Long will hire in 2-3 years.

No, the problem is Jeff Long.

KennyForAD

My God!  If he's done a good job, what would a bad job look like?  Long is a nightmare.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 03:17:23 pm
My God!  If he's done a good job, what would a bad job look like?  Long is a nightmare.
29-43

rickfahr

Listened to the problem with Hogs sports in a radio interview last week.

Guys from the big Little Rock radio station were interviewing Long.

Problem 1: Those guys were too chicken&%*# to ask one question about Bielema. And that's an issue for all the state media. None of them hold anyone on The Hill accountable. They would lose "access."

Problem 2: Not once, not once, did Long mention anything on the field. All he talked about was money. Until the AD cares about winning, the coaches won't.

I understand how important money is. Yada. Yada. Yada. We are constantly ranked in the nation's top 20 in terms of revenue and profit. Yet, we don't reside there on the field.

I'm ready for that to change.

Tusks

Okayyy for the 10K time, what has Jeff Long done that is so damn great that is above and beyond his contractual job description as AD of the Hogs?  The SEC sends him so much money that you really can't F' up financially, at least you shouldn't be able to.

So what has he done that makes some of you go 'wow that's an awesome AD'?  I haven't seen anything.  Lawyers drafted the bond issue, not JL.  He took money from Jerry and built a BB practice facility that many inside the department were bitching the hogs didn't have, so that wasn't a great accomplishment.  It was right in the wheel house for what a SEC AD does.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jawhog

The problem is Jeff Long. Cut the life line and let him go.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: jawhog on September 18, 2017, 04:42:47 pm
The problem is Jeff Long. Cut the life line and let him go.
Maybe a resignation and taking a new job.

Hogs-n-Roses

Saw an article on yahoo front page of my computer bout several schools,Tennessee,LSU,and a couple of others whose AD's and head coach were being tied together and the AD's were on the hot seat.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: yraciv on September 11, 2017, 09:36:55 am
High graduation rates, successful programs across the board, impressive facility growth, and respect of his colleagues across the country.  The football program may have things to work out, but that is a small part of who an AD is. Jeff Long has been and will continue to be an excellent man for the job!

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-earn-top-20-directors-cup-finish/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-ad-wins-national-award/

Aren't this votes on the Top AD's voted on by a body of AD's?
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

codeHog

he looks at the dollar...........not Arkansas people. A robot could do that. We need a person that loves ARKANSAS and it's fans. Money will dry up with Long there

HognitiveDissonance

I actually like Long quite a bit as a person, and he's a good AD.
I don't think he has the 'gift' when it comes to hiring coaches. That instinct.

But beyond that, it's always bothered me that he's always seemingly been about mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. The insinuation has always been 'if we only had more revenue as a athletic dept', that's what's holding us back. The insinuation is that more revenue = more wins. It's never stated, but it's implied.

And that is a complete falsehood. There is no direct correlation between revenue and winning. Obviously you need money for facilities and salaries...but the fact is, Arkansas has always had enough money to build whatever needed to be built and pay coaches the market rate. Always.

The biggest factor in winning is the quality of the coaches that the AD hires (or fires). The head coach drives everything.

bvillepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 09:28:24 am
What took you so long??

I realized that hiring Long was a mistake  when he tried to hire Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe as Football HC while ignoring Bobby Petrino and then, he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.

I'll admit that I gave him high marks for hiring Bret Bielema, he sure fooled me with that one. I really believed Bret would turn things around.
He did offer Grobe and a few of the foundation members refused to write the check so Grobe had to quietly take his name out of the hat is what I have been told. I took a wait and see on Bret and still am not sure what has gone on.  My guess would be that at the first sign of adversity the players bail on him because of all the extra non traditional stuff they go through. Jelly sandwiches,guys carrying mattresses around when there 5 minutes early but it's called late, benching them when the prof doesn't require them to be in class , etc.   I believe in discipline but it can backfire when your losing if you don't have total buy in.  Not eating three meals a day.

Hogs-n-Roses

People are still voting. At present it looks like 2/3 of the people think Long shouldn't be the man here. We'll check back after the game tomorrow.

HamSammich

Poll is illegitimate because there wasn't an option calling him a heartless yankee.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 22, 2017, 01:30:08 pm
People are still voting. At present it looks like 2/3 of the people think Long shouldn't be the man here. We'll check back after the game tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see the gameplan Jeff Long comes up with to light a fire under this offense. 

His moment is now.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 22, 2017, 01:40:01 pm
Will be interesting to see the gameplan Jeff Long comes up with to light a fire under this offense. 

His moment is now.
We have 16,000,000 reasons for him to get it right.

Hogsfan1981

I believe Jeff Long will leave for something "Bigger and Better" eventually. I don't think it will even be an AD gig. I bet he has his eyes on something. I think he will just leave one day of his own accord.

He is a great AD. However, unfairly or not he will be judged mostly by how well CBB and CMA do(football /basketball W/L).

If they were winning more then no one would care. His reputation as an AD is all tied up in the wins and losses of the football and basketball programs. Nature of the beast. Nebraska just fired their AD right? I don't care much about that but I'm guessing he was fired because of football. 

Cure

Great AD that most schools would love to have. I can completely understand the premature extension and big buyout gripe. I will say that he's done a lot on the hill behind the scenes that has changed the perception of what it means to be a student athlete at Arkansas and they are much better off for it.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 10:49:47 am
It shouldn't have been necessary to make a hire then because there shouldn't have been a vacancy. Firing BP was a major mistake. A competent AD doesn't fire a Head coach who just led his team to a #12 and #5 final national ranking in back to back seasons while running a clean program that isn't even close to being investigated ny the NCAA, he handles it in house. Suspend him for a couple of months and dock his pay? Yes, but don't fire him.

Guv, are you ever going to accept the fact that long offered Petrino all of those things to keep his job? And Petrino basically told him to stick it, that he was calling his bluff. Petrino, no matter how good he could have been, was not bigger than our program.

It happened, trust me, it happened.

Marshfieldhog

Nothing about Jeff Long screams great AD. I don't know where people get that. That were glad he left Pitt and while he probably balances the budget ok, that doesn't make him a great AD just because the SEC sends big checks. I think he is average at best and has played the Petrino deal as far as he can. Don't forget he was a John White hire, that dude was toxic.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: LZH on September 22, 2017, 05:48:56 pm
Guv, are you ever going to accept the fact that long offered Petrino all of those things to keep his job? And Petrino basically told him to stick it, that he was calling his bluff. Petrino, no matter how good he could have been, was not bigger than our program.

I believe this is how it went down but then why does Long say that no such negotions(offers) were made.

Hogs-n-Roses

Srry misses LZH on the quote function somehow.

LZH

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 22, 2017, 06:10:55 pm
I believe this is how it went down but then why does Long say that no such negotions(offers) were made.

Because that's what and AD does? Maybe a private personal courtesy, because they were friends after all. Or at least Jeff thought so. He publicly denied it, but he kind of had to. However I have no doubt whatsoever that that went down exactly as we have all read.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 15, 2017, 08:09:51 pm
4+ days, 2799 views, 256 people voted so far. 177 of them feel Jeff Long is not the guy for Arkansas. That's just short of 70%.30 % feel like he should stay. Only 11 percent wit Coach B.

I saw another poll on SurveyMonkey.com that linked from this board and it said something like 99.5% of people though Long needed to go or sumpin' like that too!

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Disagree entirely.   I do not think Long has done a good job.  Please share the data that supports the supposition.

--Knute Rockne

bondhue

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 11:11:10 am
Do you realize how many players got benched for the entire season - NC was set to contend for the ACC.
14 players missed at least one game and seven were forced to sit the entire season.
To still finish 8-5 was a miracle.
Best poster on Hogville.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.