Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard reinstated, suspended until Dec 18th

Started by Bacon_Bitz, November 16, 2015, 10:01:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

1.  Do not know the details or anything about Beard personally.  I hope he deserved the second chance he received from being a really good person that did something really stupid and/or he really was a victim of not knowing he was spending fake bills.

2.  I personally believe if he knew he was doing the crime, he should be given his second chance somewhere but not at Arkansas.  I won't lose sleep over the issue and I am happy he gets a second chance.  However, I also believe playing for the UofA is a privilege and the players are supposed to be an extension of our state values and pride.  Counterfeiters and forgers are not who I want being my representative.

3.  I know I am a dinosaur but wins and losses take second place to what is right.  I hope we are not compromising for the sake of getting a good player eligible to somehow try and help us win a few games.  That said, decision is made, and I hope all works well for team and individuals.  I hope Beard learns his lesson, applies said lesson, and becomes a roll model citizen/basketball player for the remainder of his time.

TomBigBeeHog

When Ron Huery got in some trouble here, I think he came off the bench for us behind Todd Day, I think. Remember Huery taking to the role and saying that the second team was "my unit" and there was no static over his role it seemed. Course, I doubt he would have argued with Coach Richardson anyway.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 16, 2015, 12:26:23 pm
That said, decision is made, and I hope all works well for team and individuals.  I hope Beard learns his lesson, applies said lesson, and becomes a pick & roll model citizen/basketball player for the remainder of his time.

FIFY
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TOM "tbw1"

1.  Do not know the details or anything about Beard personally.  I hope he deserved the second chance he received from being a really good person that did something really stupid and/or he really was a victim of not knowing he was spending fake bills.

2.  I personally believe if he knew he was doing the crime, he should be given his second chance somewhere but not at Arkansas.  I won't lose sleep over the issue and I am happy he gets a second chance.  However, I also believe playing for the UofA is a privilege and the players are supposed to be an extension of our state values and pride.  Counterfeiters and forgers are not who I want being my representative.

3.  I know I am a dinosaur but wins and losses take second place to what is right.  I hope we are not compromising for the sake of getting a good player eligible to somehow try and help us win a few games.  That said, decision is made, and I hope all works well for team and individuals.  I hope Beard learns his lesson, applies said lesson, and becomes a roll model citizen/basketball player for the remainder of his time.

From someone who does this day in and day out, this is not close to being a compromised position.  To put it in terms you understand, Anton is going on probation before being sentenced.  If he completes the terms of the agreement, case is dismissed.  This is standard procedure for first time offenders under Arkansas law.  Happens to Anton Beard and Joe Smith equally.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hawg Red

What about kids who shoplift? DUI? Are you saying you're basically a zero tolerance fan? We've had kids do things way worse than what Beard did (in my opinion) and they stuck with the program. Kids make mistakes. Sometimes they even do things they know are wrong. They're too young to understand how real the consequences are. And I'm sure someone will say "but they're not kids, they're grown men." Stop it. You know that isn't true. Never had to work for a living or provide for themselves or someone else (in most cases). That is not an adult.

Beard broke the law, got arrested for it, and then the feds never even pursued it. Left it to the state, who saw it fit to give him no jail time whatsoever. He's missed every team activity since July 22 and will miss 8 more games. I have a good feeling that being put in those handcuffs and placed in a cell with plenty of time to ponder if you're still going to get to play college basketball was quite a sobering experience for him. It became real at that point and he became much more closer to being a grown man at that point than when he was spending fake money.

mizzouman

Good to hear.  Hopefully he completes what he needs to do and learn from it. 

It's about a kid making a mistake and allowed to redeem himself.

jry04

Quote from: LLPL on November 16, 2015, 11:40:12 am
My sister was going to be charged with felony forgery but the prosecutor said they would not charge her at all if they would complete a drug rehab program. She was addicted to prescription drugs and forged some checks to get money for that. So if they feel like his crime of forgery was based on feeding a drug issue then yes it could have been diverted to that. Ideal situation really because it addresses the root cause. 
This is completely different. It isn't about drugs. It is about making good choices. The program Beard is being entered in basically teaches you right from wrong, and how to avoid situations that may get you into trouble.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 12:47:07 pm
What about kids who shoplift? DUI? Are you saying you're basically a zero tolerance fan? We've had kids do things way worse than what Beard did (in my opinion) and they stuck with the program. Kids make mistakes. Sometimes they even do things they know are wrong. They're too young to understand how real the consequences are. And I'm sure someone will say "but they're not kids, they're grown men." Stop it. You know that isn't true. Never had to work for a living or provide for themselves or someone else (in most cases). That is not an adult.

Beard broke the law, got arrested for it, and then the feds never even pursued it. Left it to the state, who saw it fit to give him no jail time whatsoever. He's missed every team activity since July 22 and will miss 8 more games. I have a good feeling that being put in those handcuffs and placed in a cell with plenty of time to ponder if you're still going to get to play college basketball was quite a sobering experience for him. It became real at that point and he became much more closer to being a grown man at that point than when he was spending fake money.

Well said.

onebadrubi

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 11:19:27 am
Great News! I'm glad Beard will get a second chance.  9 game suspension + having to complete the drug court program is the appropriate punishment.  I'm also sure CMA will have some extra stuff he has to complete for the basketball team as well.  Hopefully he learns from it, and nothing like this ever happens again.  I was rooting for a positive outcome like this.  :razorback:

Yeah, I think it is needless to say but he will be in basketball shape before his first game. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: jry04 on November 16, 2015, 12:56:36 pm
This is completely different. It isn't about drugs. It is about making good choices. The program Beard is being entered in basically teaches you right from wrong, and how to avoid situations that may get you into trouble.

I think the one thing we take for granted is that all kids coming into a program know the absolutes of right and wrong.  Some do some don't, some see this type of crime different than smacking someone in the face or even outright stealing from them. 

This could be the best thing that ever happened to AB because he now knows he could lose everything at the drop of a hat, and not to take anything for granted. Probably scared the **** **** out of him, and hopefully if he's a good kid really takes to the second chance he has been given.

I do not see this in the same vein as giving a second chance to someone that has committed assault, domestic violence or some other heinous act.

I'm glad for the program, but I'm happier for Beard as a person and hope he is thankful for the second chance and makes the most of it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on November 16, 2015, 12:39:23 pm
From someone who does this day in and day out, this is not close to being a compromised position.  To put it in terms you understand, Anton is going on probation before being sentenced.  If he completes the terms of the agreement, case is dismissed.  This is standard procedure for first time offenders under Arkansas law.  Happens to Anton Beard and Joe Smith equally.

I fully understand the sentence and am perfectly okay with the justice system's decisions.  However, the justice system and the University decision to allow him to stay on the team are two completely separate issues.  Not one word in my post said or implied I think favors was done in the justice system.  I think all decisions were fair for the situation.  However, I still believe that being a Razorback is an honor and I am not sure he deserved to keep that honor based on the seriousness of his crime.    I am all for him having a second chance at the school of his choice that is willing to take him.  I am not certain I believe it should have been at Arkansas.  Crime has consequences.  One of those is sometimes you don't get to keep your job or your position in an organization. 

Again, I am not convinced I am correct and I will be happy for him and hope for the best.  However, I still feel that I would rather our program be above this level of action.  It is no different than BB cutting the two WRs loose for not going to class dependably.  He had a standard, it wasn't met, he let them go to another school.  My standard is somewhere between stupid mistake and premeditated theft.

That said, I will not post on Beard regarding this anymore.  He has paid a dept and will continue paying his debt.  I wish him the best for him and the program.  I am glad he is getting an opportunity to continue playing basketball and get an education.

hoglady

I am happy there is system in place to allow non violent offenders a chance to right the ship.
The alternative is much worse for society as a whole.
When a kid gets a felony conviction and goes to prison for a few years - no one wins.
Not the kid and surely not society.
I'd much rather see them get a second chance with a possibility of a good future.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

moses_007

I would imagine he told investigators where the bills came from, and that's why he got off so quickly and so lightly.

Pancetta

I agree that non-violent first time offenders should get a 2nd chance. I hope he makes the most of it.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

ThisTeetsTaken

Pretty sweet deal for a crime that is supposed to bring a punishment of 5-20 years in prison a $15K fine or both.  Congratulations Anton.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

McKdaddy

Quote from: moses_007 on November 16, 2015, 06:57:27 pm
I would imagine he told investigators where the bills came from, and that's why he got off so quickly and so lightly.

I hope someone doesn't come around looking to break his fingers, or worse.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 11:57:37 am
That's funny I was actually thinking about that.  I would definitely say most likely is Jenkins if anyone does transfer.  But, if there was any year that no one transfers it would be this year.  Jenkins will get his chance, if he stays patient and improves.  He's a 6'7 guard, if he really dedicates himself he can work into the rotation this year.  Next year may be tough though, but if he stays the course, I could see him playing major minutes his junior and senior year.
I liked what I saw from Jenkins in the practice I watched. I was disappointed he didn't get a few minutes in Game1. I hope he doesn't ride the pine all year. For one thing, he has a nice stroke and this team's Achilles heel will be going cold for stretches. We need all the shooters we can get.

whosiskid

I may be one of the few who is happy for Beard but disappointed that Anderson didn't suspend him permanently. I wonder if Bielema would have allowed Beard back on the team if he was a basketball player. I doubt it. Of course, in football there is the pressure to get down to 85 scholarship players, but still, I somehow feel that the team standards are being set too low. I would have guessed that he would not go to jail but that he would be off the team. Part of me is unhappy that he is back on the team. We like to talk about other teams being filled with law breakers. Now we may have built a glass house.

As a basketball fan, I am, of course, delighted to have Beard back. He was really looking good last year. Hopefully he'll be a model citizen from here on out.

I do want to stress that I'm delighted that he isn't going to jail. It is absolutely ridiculous how many people are sent to prison these days. Since 1990 violent crime has dropped across the US as a whole, but the prison population has mushroomed, exclusively because of drug charges and mainly because of the huge army of lobbyists for the prison industry. Well, that is another story. Hopefully this is the end of all of Beard's legal problems.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Swinesong1

November 17, 2015, 07:56:45 am #70 Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:12:30 am by Swinesong1
Quote from: whosiskid on November 17, 2015, 03:42:09 am
I may be one of the few who is happy for Beard but disappointed that Anderson didn't suspend him permanently. I wonder if Bielema would have allowed Beard back on the team if he was a basketball player. I doubt it. Of course, in football there is the pressure to get down to 85 scholarship players, but still, I somehow feel that the team standards are being set too low. I would have guessed that he would not go to jail but that he would be off the team. Part of me is unhappy that he is back on the team. We like to talk about other teams being filled with law breakers. Now we may have built a glass house.

As a basketball fan, I am, of course, delighted to have Beard back. He was really looking good last year. Hopefully he'll be a model citizen from here on out.

I do want to stress that I'm delighted that he isn't going to jail. It is absolutely ridiculous how many people are sent to prison these days. Since 1990 violent crime has dropped across the US as a whole, but the prison population has mushroomed, exclusively because of drug charges and mainly because of the huge army of lobbyists for the prison industry. Well, that is another story. Hopefully this is the end of all of Beard's legal problems.
Weren't three footballers arrested in the past year for being drunk?  One underàge?  Did he kick them off the team?

PorkRinds

I don't think anyone who will, if they end up fulfilling their obligations to the court, end up having their charges completely dropped would be kicked off either team. 

hogsanity

I may be one of the few who is happy for Beard but disappointed that Anderson didn't suspend him permanently.

Why? The legal process took its course, they found no reason to incarcerate Beard. He has been going to class, and has had no further trouble. Why should Anderson have suspended him permanently?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

TomBigBeeHog

root_hawg

That shows what is most important at Fayetteville, just win baby .. nothing different than any other sports program in covering up and taking care of its athletes.  Hope  he learns his lesson.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 16, 2015, 12:03:22 pm
With Beard back and Thomas soon to follow, how many scholarships are left for 2016 class now that we have added 4 guys during the early signing period?

I dont remember if we get 12 or 13 scholarships but right now it looks like we have 12 on scholarships.  We have 4 seniors and we have signed 4.  If we get 13 scholarships then we can add one more without losing anyone else.  Of course if the right recruit comes around we can always put Watkins back to walk on status if we need his scholarship.  With his daddy on staff his tuition cannot be very expensive. 

But I think we get to have 13 on Scholarships so I think we have one more position to add.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 17, 2015, 07:56:45 am
Weren't three footballers arrested in the past year for being drunk?  One underàge?  Did he kick them off the team?

Plus didn't we kick Jacorey off for assault?  It'd be one thing if these kids were getting off scott-free but that's clearly not happening, and when you actually pull some BS you do get dealt with.  Madden and Qualls both served minor suspensions for team-related stuff last year, so we know he's not afraid to pull the trigger when it comes to discipline.

The_Iceman

Quote from: root_hawg on November 17, 2015, 09:19:31 am
That shows what is most important at Fayetteville, just win baby .. nothing different than any other sports program in covering up and taking care of its athletes.  Hope  he learns his lesson.

Yep, we invented that Drug Court program this week just to get Beard off.

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 17, 2015, 09:33:44 am
I dont remember if we get 12 or 13 scholarships but right now it looks like we have 12 on scholarships.  We have 4 seniors and we have signed 4.  If we get 13 scholarships then we can add one more without losing anyone else.  Of course if the right recruit comes around we can always put Watkins back to walk on status if we need his scholarship.  With his daddy on staff his tuition cannot be very expensive. 

But I think we get to have 13 on Scholarships so I think we have one more position to add.

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 17, 2015, 07:56:45 am
All three underage. O'Grady (freshman), Beanum (20), and the punter (freshman). Technically to crimes in one for all them. Minors shouldn't be drunk, and no one should drive intoxicated or pee on light poles in public.

hogsanity

Quote from: root_hawg on November 17, 2015, 09:19:31 am

So a 1st time offender is offered a diversion program, in accordance with programs that have been used throughout the state for YEARS, but it is being done to cover up for an athlete?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

root_hawg

Felony, you or I would not be getting this same type of consideration.

Hawg Red

Quote from: root_hawg on November 17, 2015, 09:46:55 am

Disagree.

Anyone with a spotless record would get the same punishment for this.

PorkRinds

Absolutely false.

Dwight_K_Shrute

People equating this to the sh** that goes on at other schools are ignorant. 

You know why these kids even getting in trouble was news?  Because Mike, or even BB for that matter had not had any incidents up to that point, any.  That's why it' was such a shock.  It wasn't FSU or LSU where it's oh here we go again no big surprise.

There are so many finger pointers, front pew sitters, and judgmental aholes on here it's ridiculous.  They lurk they hide they keep a low profile and then when something like this happens can't wait to jump all over it.  Then once the courts and administration hand down their decisions they jump all over it again just so they can go na na na waaa waa waa.

Again there is also a distinction to be made between this and violent crime, it's not like he was dealing or the gang lord of Yokum.

Also the local PDs and courts have a long history of not showing preferential treatment to Razorback athletes. 

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

a shady hog

I used to cover felony court during my years as a news reporter and you are wrong. First time non-violent felony offenders usually get a probation sentence. 

hoglady

That's just really not true at all - not for a kid who hasn't been trouble before.
Someone 40 years old would probably not get the same consideration, but really any college age kid would.
There's plenty of violent criminals and habitual offenders to fill up our prisons.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 17, 2015, 10:08:12 am
People equating this to the sh** that goes on at other schools are ignorant. 

You know why these kids even getting in trouble was news?  Because Mike, or even BB for that matter had not had any incidents up to that point, any.  That's why it' was such a shock.  It wasn't FSU or LSU where it's oh here we go again no big surprise.

There are so many finger pointers, front pew sitters, and judgmental aholes on here it's ridiculous.  They lurk they hide they keep a low profile and then when something like this happens can't wait to jump all over it.  Then once the courts and administration hand down their decisions they jump all over it again just so they can go na na na waaa waa waa.

Again there is also a distinction to be made between this and violent crime, it's not like he was dealing or the gang lord of Yokum.

Also the local PDs and courts have a long history of not showing preferential treatment to Razorback athletes. 

Seriously?  Only a few posters have questioned anything and none have wanted him hung out to dry!  Just because someone believes it was a little more serious than you doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong.  Your condemnation of a few posters over their comments is much stiffer proportionally than the punishment for the crime being questioned.  Ironic how that works with some people.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 17, 2015, 12:15:17 pm
Seriously?  Only a few posters have questioned anything and none have wanted him hung out to dry!  Just because someone believes it was a little more serious than you doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong.  Your condemnation of a few posters over their comments is much stiffer proportionally than the punishment for the crime being questioned.  Ironic how that works with some people.

Next time I'll will quantify it by counting the number of posters I'm referring to or calling them out individually.  Not sure how my comments are harsher than any punishment in any context.  If they rubbed anyone the wrong way it's probably because they hit a little too close to home.  That's how it usually works.

maxhog5

TomBigBeeHog

PonderinHog

TomBigBeeHog

TomBigBeeHog

azhog10

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 17, 2015, 02:20:24 pm
I stole some Bubblelicious gum when I was 8.
THIEF!! Someone kick him off hogville now. We don't want negative attention like that. It's not a right, it's a privilege to post on hogville.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: azhog10 on November 17, 2015, 02:24:20 pm
THIEF!! Someone kick him off hogville now. We don't want negative attention like that. It's not a right, it's a privilege to post on hogville.

It wasn't just any old gum, it was Bubblelicious! It had just come out and it was a world of difference from the old standard of Wrigleys flavors like Juicyfruit and the hated Spearmint and Doublemint.

I was smitten right in the tastebuds at the impressionable age of 8.

tigerinhogtown

I'm glad he's back, and I'm all for 2nd chances. 

Just 1 honest question, how did this go from a FEDERAL crime to county court? Did the feds back away?  what has to happen for that to take place?

hoglady

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on November 17, 2015, 02:36:32 pm
I'm glad he's back, and I'm all for 2nd chances. 

Just 1 honest question, how did this go from a FEDERAL crime to county court? Did the feds back away?  what has to happen for that to take place?

He was never charged by the Feds.
My understanding is it's a State crime unless the money came from out of state.
And I guess even then the Feds can decide whether they want to take the case or leave it at the state level.

root_hawg

The basketball team was projected to be bad, reason for moving to lower court