Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard reinstated, suspended until Dec 18th

Started by Bacon_Bitz, November 16, 2015, 10:01:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

poloprince

Awesome, that's better than a redshirt season and rejoining the team for the 2016 season.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Good deal. Lines up EXACTLY with what I was told a week or so ago.

chiti66

WOW!!!! I really hope that he has truly learned something and will use this opportunity to not only get himself of the straight and narrow, but also become a mentor and role model to the younger guys, to include HSers.

Woo Pig!!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 10:03:50 am
I PM'ed you for some scoop and you just ignored me :-X LOL. Good for Anton, hopefully he learns from this!

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

gopigs

Having Anton alone will win us two or three additional games this year. We could approach close to 20 wins

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 16, 2015, 10:09:21 am
I PM'ed you for some scoop and you just ignored me :-X LOL. Good for Anton, hopefully he learns from this!

Sorry about that. I was actually out of pocket then and just forgot to reply later.

Adam Stokes

November 16, 2015, 10:20:46 am #9 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:52:52 am by Adam Stokes
So it looks like he'll be back for the three games of our OOC schedule before SEC games begin.  Hopefully he can use Mercer and North Florida to get adjusted back and be ready to go full speed ahead for Dayton.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 10:03:50 am

Good call Red. You told me this over a week ago. +1 for the heads up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

How the heck did Beard get back before Thomas, considering that Beard seemed most culpable?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 10:18:29 am
Sorry about that. I was actually out of pocket then and just forgot to reply later.
Yeah i sensed you were out, no posts and all, it's cool! From what I have seen I may up my prediction with Anton back, to a possible NIT what say you?

Qhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 16, 2015, 10:22:39 am
How the heck did Beard get back before Thomas, considering that Beard seemed most culpable?

Kinda what I'm wondering.  I won't pass too much judgement as I certainly don't know all the details, but I hope MA will shed a bit more light for the fans.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 10:18:29 am
So what is the scoop on Thomas then?  Why is his case ongoing?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

20gauge

The article says his legal part has not been cleared yet.

20gauge

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: 20gauge on November 16, 2015, 10:30:34 am
The article says his legal part has not been cleared yet.

For Beard it has. If he completes the rehab program he is in, the case will be dismissed.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Does this mean that beard has a drug problem? Is that how he got the diversion to the drug treatment program?

Glad he's back. Hope he takes advantage of this second chance.

Pancetta

I'm confused, how would someone charged with forgery get put into drug court diversion?  Do they sometimes divert non violent non-drug related offenses through drug court?  Or did they change the charges to something drug related and drop the felony forgery charges? 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 16, 2015, 10:29:58 am
So what is the scoop on Thomas then?  Why is his case ongoing?

I don't have anything on that. I only get NLR scoops. But I wouldn't be worried about Dustin Thomas. If Beard can get clear of this with the punishment he got, Thomas will be fine. Probably has a different lawyer, is all.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pancetta on November 16, 2015, 10:41:50 am
I'm confused, how would someone charged with forgery get put into drug court diversion?  Do they sometimes divert non violent non-drug related offenses through drug court?  Or did they change the charges to something drug related and drop the felony forgery charges?

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2015, 10:41:22 am
Does this mean that beard has a drug problem? Is that how he got the diversion to the drug treatment program?

Glad he's back. Hope he takes advantage of this second chance.

It's Drug Treatment and Diversion Court. He's entering a diversion program.

QuoteA diversion program in the criminal justice system is a form of sentencing and such programs are often run by a police department, court, a district attorney's office, or outside agency designed to enable offenders of criminal law to avoid criminal charges and a criminal record.

TomBigBeeHog

Great news! We can use this kid this year because we are going to need all the help we can get. Sure could have used him for the preseason NIT. Gonna be a tough row to hoe.

Hawg Red

Here's a better explanation than what I attempted.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/nov/16/beard-reinstated-after-drug-court-agreement/

Quote"Drug court is not solely for drug offenses," Durrett said. "Mainly it's for first-time, nonviolent offenses."

The_Iceman

This is good news for this year, but even better news for 2016. Having an experienced PG like Beard will go a long way in getting up deep into the NCAA-T.

20gauge

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 16, 2015, 10:34:03 am
For Beard it has. If he completes the rehab program he is in, the case will be dismissed.
Was talking about Thomas, missed the quote feature

The Hogfather

-Blu

Great News! I'm glad Beard will get a second chance.  9 game suspension + having to complete the drug court program is the appropriate punishment.  I'm also sure CMA will have some extra stuff he has to complete for the basketball team as well.  Hopefully he learns from it, and nothing like this ever happens again.  I was rooting for a positive outcome like this.  :razorback:

dbhog

Thomas cannot play this year anyway since he transferred from Colorado.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 11:19:27 am
Great News! I'm glad Beard will get a second chance.  9 game suspension + having to complete the drug court program is the appropriate punishment.  I'm also sure CMA will have some extra stuff he has to complete for the basketball team as well.  Hopefully he learns from it, and nothing like this ever happens again.  I was rooting for a positive outcome like this.  :razorback:

Awesome outcome! I was pulling for the kid. Hope he learns from this and I think he will. Big boost for the team.

Breems

Great news.

We'll have a pretty decent backcourt with a variety of offensive skills with Beard in play.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on November 16, 2015, 11:25:45 am
Great news.

We'll have a pretty decent backcourt with a variety of offensive skills with Beard in play.

Really hoping we can maintain and be 8-1 or 7-2 by the time he comes back.  We'll have a solid 10 man rotation once he returns.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on November 16, 2015, 11:25:45 am
Great news.

Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Whitt / Watkins
Miles / Thompson
Kingsley / Kouassi

That will pretty much be the 10 man rotation once Beard is back. While still not a 20 win caliber roster, it is much better than it was without him. Still projecting around 17-18 wins with Beard. However, this upcoming stretch could really hurt that, starting with Akron.

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 16, 2015, 11:33:46 am
Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Whitt / Watkins
Miles / Thompson
Kingsley / Kouassi

That will pretty much be the 10 man rotation once Beard is back. While still not a 20 win caliber roster, it is much better than it was without him. Still projecting around 17-18 wins with Beard. However, this upcoming stretch could really hurt that, starting with Akron.

It will also be a quick backcourt, so hopefully that helps establish our defense. We desperately need them to hold the line on the press. If they can't, Kingsley will foul out every game within a few minutes, and our frontcourt is already in trouble.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

LLPL

Quote from: Pancetta on November 16, 2015, 10:41:50 am

My sister was going to be charged with felony forgery but the prosecutor said they would not charge her at all if they would complete a drug rehab program. She was addicted to prescription drugs and forged some checks to get money for that. So if they feel like his crime of forgery was based on feeding a drug issue then yes it could have been diverted to that. Ideal situation really because it addresses the root cause. 

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 16, 2015, 11:33:46 am
Beard / Durham
Bell / Hannahs
Whitt / Watkins
Miles / Thompson
Kingsley / Kouassi

I would say Durham and Hannahs still remain starters, unless something is going terribly wrong.  Durham is really emerging as the leader of the team, and if he continues to keep Kingsley involved and racking up the assists like he has, I don't see CMA taking him out of the starting lineup.  He may use Beard as the firepower off the bench, because there will be a little bit of rust.  And Hannahs has just been outplaying Bell up to this point. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: LLPL on November 16, 2015, 11:40:12 am
My sister was going to be charged with felony forgery but the prosecutor said they would not charge her at all if they would complete a drug rehab program. She was addicted to prescription drugs and forged some checks to get money for that. So if they feel like his crime of forgery was based on feeding a drug issue then yes it could have been diverted to that. Ideal situation really because it addresses the root cause. 

Drug Court is an excellent program. We need more programs like it.

razorhog52

Is Thomas red shirting this year? Or did he already redshirt.

TomBigBeeHog

Now that Beard is back in the fold, it is just a matter of time before Thomas rejoins the team. Great to have two more scholarship athletes for practice. So, does this mean that Jenkins goes down lower on the totem pole next year with Bailey and Thomas likely ahead of him. Is it too early for the who is most likely to transfer thread?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hopefully, we can do well before he gets back

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 16, 2015, 11:50:54 am
Now that Beard is back in the fold, it is just a matter of time before Thomas rejoins the team. Great to have two more scholarship athletes for practice. So, does this mean that Jenkins goes down lower on the totem pole next year with Bailey and Thomas likely ahead of him. Is it too early for the who is most likely to transfer thread?

That's funny I was actually thinking about that.  I would definitely say most likely is Jenkins if anyone does transfer.  But, if there was any year that no one transfers it would be this year.  Jenkins will get his chance, if he stays patient and improves.  He's a 6'7 guard, if he really dedicates himself he can work into the rotation this year.  Next year may be tough though, but if he stays the course, I could see him playing major minutes his junior and senior year.

The_Iceman

The only people lower on the totem pole than Jenkins are the walk ons.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 11:42:10 am
I would say Durham and Hannahs still remain starters, unless something is going terribly wrong.  Durham is really emerging as the leader of the team, and if he continues to keep Kingsley involved and racking up the assists like he has, I don't see CMA taking him out of the starting lineup.  He may use Beard as the firepower off the bench, because there will be a little bit of rust.  And Hannahs has just been outplaying Bell up to this point.

Hannah's got to the free throw line and Bell didn't. Part of the reason Hannah's had 7 more points than Bell while only taking 1 shot more than Bell did. Bell also had 3 turnovers. Not what you want from a senior. Still, it was only the 1st game. He can redeem himself against Akron.

At this point, I would agree that Beard comes off the bench for Durham. I like how Durham is playing but he will have to clean up the turnovers if he wants to keep that starting job now that Anton is back.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 16, 2015, 11:49:44 am
Is Thomas red shirting this year? Or did he already redshirt.

He's currently redshirting.

hoglady

Too bad Jacorey couldn't have stayed out of trouble.

Very happy for Beard. He better walk the straight and narrow now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TomBigBeeHog

With Beard back and Thomas soon to follow, how many scholarships are left for 2016 class now that we have added 4 guys during the early signing period?

Hawg Red

I could see Jenkins transferring at some point, but I think he'll stick around for his sophomore season. Maybe he transfers out after two years a la Dee Wagner, but yeah, maybe too early to predict that. I would have to think he'd be the only candidate, though. Wouldn't make sense for anyone else to leave given their roles and years remaining.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2015, 12:05:39 pm
I would have to think he'd be the only candidate, though. Wouldn't make sense for anyone else to leave given their roles and years remaining.

What about Beard?  If we land Monk and say Whitt has a great year.  Would he be willing to come off the bench next year?  Because all signs would point to him coming off the bench next year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 12:10:34 pm
What about Beard?  If we land Monk and say Whitt has a great year.  Would he be willing to come off the bench next year?  Because all signs would point to him coming off the bench next year.

Almost included him in my post as a darkhorse transfer candidate. But I think he'll stay. I hope he does, anyway. But that's me being a fan and assuming he'll accept his role. We know it doesn't exactly work that way with these kids.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on November 16, 2015, 12:10:34 pm

Beard is one fortunate sob. He should be thanking his lucky stars for another chance on the hill. In return for such mercy, he should be willing to accept whatever role that CMA offers him on the team, including mopping the locker room floors and cleaning toilets. If he comes off the bench this year and next, he can take the keys to the team as a senior. Penance paid.