Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Thoughts on Game1

Started by HognitiveDissonance, November 14, 2015, 01:30:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Obviously Kingsley and Hannahs showed out.
Moses...I'm not too surprised by what he did. I've always believed in his ability level, based on his limited action in years one and two. He just needed a chance to play significant minutes. And how many times did people complain(including me) that he needed to be on the court more? Look what he did when given significant minutes. No, he shouldn't have gotten Portis's minutes, but I think he deserved more PT than he received. Some will say he and some others have 'improved', but often times it's guys knowing that their time has come, they're going to play a lot, they're relaxed, and they won't be coming into the game for two minutes before sitting down again. MUCH easier to play like that.

Moses was always prone to foul trouble...and fouled out tonight. Will be an ongoing issue all year....was really impressed by his hustle plays tonight. The guy was everywhere.

Durham another guy given a chance to have significant minutes, and he has settled in nicely. Ran the point well, and only had one careless turnover.

Nice to see Hannahs make shots when the lights were on. He needs to stop posing after three-pointers, though; twice he did that, like a golfer holding his tee shot. Just trot down the floor, Dusty. If he keeps doing that, some opponent is going to get even in some way.

The one glaring issue, after seeing one practice and one game, is that scoring droughts will be an ongoing issue. This team MUST have two guys making shots from the perimeter to beat good teams. Hannahs was on tonight, but that was about it. The slashing/driving buckets will be there from a plethora of guys, the jump-shooting buckets will be the key to the season. I'm afraid there will be several head-banging moments this year for Hog fans 'will somebody please make a shot?'

I recall Scotty Thurman having a terrible first game vs Memphis in 1992, then lit up Arizona on the road for 28 in an upset, so I'm not too concerned about Jimmy Whitt's slow start. He'll be there.

hogcam

Agree with everything you have to say.. Except for the Dusty needs to stop posing part.. It's not like this is pewee basketball.. Good shooters need swagger.. It's confidence and that's what shooting is.. You probably think Curry needs to stop high fixing his bench before the shot goes in as well.

Razorod

Thanks for your insights and thoughts! They are much appreciated.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hawgfan4life

Scoring droughts have always been an issue for this system with both Coach Richardson and Anderson.  Talent of our team and quality of opponent generally determines the impact. 

When we shoot well on the perimeter, our bigs will likely feed off the momentum and the extension of the defense.  When we shoot badly outside, I don't see our inside game taking over and carrying the team too many games.

All speculation at this point.  Hoping for the best and still expecting a post season of some kind at the worst.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 14, 2015, 12:46:14 pm
Scoring droughts have always been an issue for this system with both Coach Richardson and Anderson.  Talent of our team and quality of opponent generally determines the impact. 

When we shoot well on the perimeter, our bigs will likely feed off the momentum and the extension of the defense.  When we shoot badly outside, I don't see our inside game taking over and carrying the team too many games.

All speculation at this point.  Hoping for the best and still expecting a post season of some kind at the worst.
I'm afraid we're back to the old mantra 'as Anthlon Bell goes, so goes Arkansas'. When he's on, we're tough to beat. When he's not on, we stagnate at times. Of course, it really means 'any outside shooter who can stretch the defense' and in recent years that has been Bell more than anyone. Hannahs was on last night, when both Hannahs and Bell are on, we'll be tough. If only one of them is on...well, it got very stagnant there in the second half for a while.....Beard coming back at some point will help(if he comes back) as he's a decent shooter(although he slumped badly at end of the year). I don't see anyone else available. Whitt is not a shooter. Durham, sometimes. That's it.

-Blu

Quote from: hogcam on November 14, 2015, 01:42:12 am
Agree with everything you have to say.. Except for the Dusty needs to stop posing part.. It's not like this is pewee basketball.. Good shooters need swagger.. It's confidence and that's what shooting is.. You probably think Curry needs to stop high fixing his bench before the shot goes in as well.

I agree nothing is wrong with a little celebration or in this case a pose as long as it's not something going overboard.  Shooting has a lot to do with confidence, that's why you see some good shooters just start going on crazy streaks and nailing several shots in a row.  We as fans celebrate on shots and we aren't even playing, why wouldn't the person actually shooting the shot not be able to do a little small celebration?  Him holding his shooting pose for 2 seconds isn't hurting anyone, and if it helps boost his confidence I'm all for it.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: -Blu on November 14, 2015, 02:00:02 pm
I agree nothing is wrong with a little celebration or in this case a pose as long as it's not something going overboard.  Shooting has a lot to do with confidence, that's why you see some good shooters just start going on crazy streaks and nailing several shots in a row.  We as fans celebrate on shots and we aren't even playing, why wouldn't the person actually shooting the shot not be able to do a little small celebration?  Him holding his shooting pose for 2 seconds isn't hurting anyone, and if it helps boost his confidence I'm all for it.
We are far better when we have Dusty, Bell, Whitt and Kingsley on the floor at the same time. I think they all should get as many minutes as they can handle.  The other guards and big men can't score enough. Once those four were put on the floor when we were only up by six things happened and we easily increased the lead.

azhog10

My biggest concern is transition defense. CMA offenses are always in their worst in the half court in terms of offense. I did like the amount of passing, but feel we passed up open looks for worse looks. But our half court defense looked pretty good minus a couple lapses. Whites defense looked good and Moses is best coming from the weak side. Offensively we fed the post a lot and if Moses and Trey can produce some, it will open up Bell and Hannahs

HognitiveDissonance

Durham is not 'reliable', but he can stick a shot here and there. It was his three that pushed it back to a nine point lead after they had cut it to six. HUGE shot of the game.

hogsanity

Dusty is going to be a defensive liability. Moses is going to have foul problems, but he looks VASTLY improved offensively. Durham MAY provide adequate PG play. Whitt just looks smooth, even though you could tell he pressed the 1st half. Bell is Bell. Watkins just refuses to shoot outside of 4 feet. Didnt see anything special out of Miles or Thompson..

That said, it was my 12 yr olds 1st game in BWA, we were the 2 in section 222. We had it all to ourselves. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2015, 12:14:22 am
Dusty is going to be a defensive liability. Moses is going to have foul problems, but he looks VASTLY improved offensively. Durham MAY provide adequate PG play. Whitt just looks smooth, even though you could tell he pressed the 1st half. Bell is Bell. Watkins just refuses to shoot outside of 4 feet. Didnt see anything special out of Miles or Thompson..

That said, it was my 12 yr olds 1st game in BWA, we were the 2 in section 222. We had it all to ourselves.
Too funny!  You PAY to see a product you don't like?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 15, 2015, 06:58:47 am

An absurd statement. I've been to most of the games coached by Nolan (post 1995), Heath, Pel, and now Mike. Many bad years there and a bad product.

Being an Arkansas fan is unconditional for me, and likely Hogsanity. We go to support our program, whether or not we believe we have the right coach. Heck, I went to an exibition game this season and I do not approve of Mike's performance during the 2015 offseason.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2015, 08:09:34 am
An absurd statement. I've been to most of the games coached by Nolan (post 1995), Heath, Pel, and now Mike. Many bad years there and a bad product.

Being an Arkansas fan is unconditional for me, and likely Hogsanity. We go to support our program, whether or not we believe we have the right coach. Heck, I went to an exibition game this season and I do not approve of Mike's performance during the 2015 offseason.
Ok

azhog10

Its funny that Whitt had arguably the worst half of anyone yet you pay him the most compliments. Dusty's defense wasn't that bad, I was actually surprised. Moses will be fine, this happened last year where officials call it extremely tight the first month and then by conference play its back to the old.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2015, 08:09:34 am
I do not approve of Mike's performance during the 2015 offseason.

Why have you never mentioned this before? You should learn to get things off your chest and not stew quietly. Gets your blood pressure (and your dander) up. No one on here had any inkling that you did not approve of Mike's performance during the 2015 offseason. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag, by all means, continue.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 15, 2015, 06:58:47 am

I paid to take my kid to a game. We had a good time. I like some of the product. Like I said Whitt looks like he will be just as good as advertised. Watching Dusty knock down 3's was fun. Seeing Moses take over when the game got to within 6 pts was good.

But, nothing in that game changed my prediction of 16-17 wins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

Quote from: azhog10 on November 15, 2015, 09:54:57 am
Its funny that Whitt had arguably the worst half of anyone yet you pay him the most compliments. Dusty's defense wasn't that bad, I was actually surprised. Moses will be fine, this happened last year where officials call it extremely tight the first month and then by conference play its back to the old.
I thought his defense was pretty bad myself, he has a quickness problem from what I saw. You have to be quick in our D.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 15, 2015, 08:57:10 pm
I thought his defense was pretty bad myself, he has a quickness problem from what I saw. You have to be quick in our D.

its going to take a few games to adjust to college game speed for him.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 15, 2015, 08:57:10 pm

5-12 from the field 2-2 from the line, 3 assists and 2 steals. 12 points. Looks like a great game to me. Could it have been better? Yes, but pretty good for his first college game. Look at the first game box scores for other top 50 freshmen in their first games, including KY's. Whitt compares very favorably.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 15, 2015, 09:17:20 pm
5-12 from the field 2-2 from the line, 3 assists and 2 steals. 12 points. Looks like a great game to me. Could it have been better? Yes, but pretty good for his first college game. Look at the first game box scores for other top 50 freshmen in their first games, including KY's. Whitt compares very favorably.

He was talking about Hannahs not Whitt

TomBigBeeHog

HognitiveDissonance

Yes, looking around the arena occasionally it crossed my mind 'why would anyone sit up there instead of moving down to better seats in the lower level?'. I used to do that a lot. Start out in regular seat then at the second TV timeout move to unoccupied seats that were still empty. 

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 15, 2015, 11:27:28 pm
Yes, looking around the arena occasionally it crossed my mind 'why would anyone sit up there instead of moving down to better seats in the lower level?'. I used to do that a lot. Start out in regular seat then at the second TV timeout move to unoccupied seats that were still empty. 

I asked him if he wanted to move, he said he liked it up there because he could see everything. He is also not a big fan of big crowds, so he was fine. Now my older kid would have been trying to get right behind the bench.