Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Patrick Beverly arrest

Started by Dugann, November 12, 2015, 07:41:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

sickboy

Kid's gonna be broke as a joke when his career is over. Buying a freaking Rolls Royce and buying other people cars. Waste of good money right there.

HiggiePiggy

A lot of professional sports players are that way. Never think about the future just think about now and it shows the way they spend money. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 13, 2015, 06:24:52 am
A lot of professional sports players are that way. Never think about the future just think about now and it shows the way they spend money. 

True and a tragedy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jry04

Quote from: Dugann on November 12, 2015, 07:41:53 pm
Pay your tickets kiddos

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/12/dashcam-video-captures-houston-rockets-stars-tense-arrest-after-officers-discover-open-warrant/
To be fair, if he is telling the truth, he didn't know he had tickets. The CC he had attached to his toll pass was expired, so his payment wasn't going through. It is still his fault, but some of the headlines make it sound like he was just avoiding paying. Who knows if that is true, though.

I do find it odd that people are saying he will without a doubt go broke because he owns a RR. He may manage his money like many of the other professionals who have gone broke before him did, but the guy just signed a contract to make over $6 million/year for the next 4 years. It isn't like he bought a RR while playing for league minimum.

TomBigBeeHog

Non story. Shouldn't have even made the news. Just name dropping so get clicks. Beverly had no tags. Cops pull him over. Find warrant for outstanding traffic tickets. Cuff him. Run him in to the station. he pays tickets. Story over.

Same thing would have happened if he were driving a Pinto.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Dugann

IMO point being, you don't act like that number #1.  #2 if you are silly enough to waste money like that, and buy other people cars, then you must understand that you are responsible for tickets per say that they rack up on your dime.  Again to me it is how he acted.  A non story I beg to differ. When you have a star that kids look up to acting like child to the police he made it a story.  IF he had conducted him self in a professional way  then it might have been different IMO.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Dugann on November 13, 2015, 08:51:05 am
IMO point being, you don't act like that number #1.  #2 if you are silly enough to waste money like that, and buy other people cars, then you must understand that you are responsible for tickets per say that they rack up on your dime.  Again to me it is how he acted.  A non story I beg to differ. When you have a star that kids look up to acting like child to the police he made it a story.  IF he had conducted him self in a professional way  then it might have been different IMO.

Guy in 'Rolls Royce on his way to a yacht party with friends to hang out with scantily clad models. Gets pulled over by cops. Finds out he has unpaid tickets and warrant. Guy gets pissed and vents a little because now he can't make the party. Non story.

I mean really, this is juvenile. Guy was just a little ticked off. No one likes being cuffed, unless it happens in the bedroom and is consensual.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

A non story I beg to differ. When you have a star that kids look up to acting like child to the police he made it a story.

The only stars that kids should look up to are in the Milky Way. Take your kids out to some dark outpost far from the city lights and let them take a peek. Those stars are awesome!

If kids are looking up to earthly stars, the parents have failed.

RazorPiggie

Had PBev acted like a normal citizen, instead of a rich BBall player that should never be pulled over, this probably wouldn't have been a story or at least I doubt the footage would have been released. Respect the law and cops, they are just doing their job.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 13, 2015, 09:40:00 am
Had PBev acted like a normal citizen, instead of a rich BBall player that should never be pulled over, this probably wouldn't have been a story or at least I doubt the footage would have been released. Respect the law and cops, they are just doing their job.

He did respect the law and the cops. He followed all of their orders. He was just pissed about it. Human nature. Non story.

Lots of "normal citizens" act this way or worse when they get pulled over.

jry04

Again, you are assuming he knew about the tickets and he was deliberately avoiding them. I wouldn't have said some of the stuff he did, but I would definitely be irritated if a cop was arresting me for tickets that I did not believe I had. More because of the inconvenience. PBev said there was a problem with his CC not being charged on his toll account. If that is the case, it is an honest mistake. Yet you are acting like he knew he had tickets, chose not to pay them, and acted like that because he feels a sense of entitlement. If I was set to make $6.5 million this year and got arrested for $300 of tickets I didn't know I had, I would be annoyed, too. The cop was just doing his job, but I can see why PBev was frustrated too if his side of the story is accurate.

RazorPiggie

November 13, 2015, 10:04:26 am #12 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:19:47 am by RazorPiggie
Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 09:43:51 am
He did respect the law and the cops. He followed all of their orders. He was just pissed about it. Human nature. Non story.

Lots of "normal citizens" act this way or worse when they get pulled over.

Yeah I cuss at cops all the time while sitting in the back of a cop car with my hands behind my back.

"You know you lying, bruh. Don’t worry about it. I’ll be out this f***er in 10 seconds. I’ll hop back in my Rolls Royce,”

Lots of respect right there.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 09:43:51 am
He did respect the law and the cops.

Respecting the law would mean getting proper registration for one's car, not accusing an officer of lying, & not cussing at an officer for doing his job.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 13, 2015, 10:04:26 am
Yeah I cuss at cops all the time while sitting in the back of a cop car with my hands behind my back.

Ok, I get it. You were a model citizen all those times you were sitting in a cop car with your hands behind your back. He was cuffed though and had a wrist injury he was concerned about. Reasonable request to ask if he could not be cuffed, since it is a minor infraction although, police procedures do not allow this. 

Most people aren't aware of all of the rules police have to follow, even in a case of a low level infraction like this therefore some of them take it personally. The officers handled it the way they should have. Non story.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 13, 2015, 10:22:17 am
Respecting the law would mean getting proper registration for one's car, not accusing an officer of lying, & not cussing at an officer for doing his job.

Please God no!!! I do not want to start off the first day of basketball season with this crap! I need a cloaking device for my posts.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 13, 2015, 10:04:26 am

"You know you lying, bruh. Don't worry about it. I'll be out this f***er in 10 seconds. I'll hop back in my Rolls Royce,"

Lots of respect right there.

He was verbally combative, yes. How is that a big deal, because he said "I'll be out of this f***er in 10 seconds"? That is very tame. Watch adult swim (your kids do). Is f*** even a big deal in todays world?

Bottom line. He followed all officers commands and orders whether he liked it or not. That is respect. That should be enough.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 10:53:50 am
He was verbally combative, yes. How is that a big deal, because he said "I'll be out of this f***er in 10 seconds"? That is very tame. Watch adult swim (your kids do). Is f*** even a big deal in todays world?

Bottom line. He followed all officers commands and orders whether he liked it or not. That is respect. That should be enough.

If you told your kids it's bedtime and the whole way down the hall they said "You know you lying, bruh. Don't worry about it. I'll be out this f***er in 10 seconds. I'll hop back in my playroom" but still hopped in bed. You think that is respect and should be enough?

Anywho! Can't wait for the season to start tonight, looking forward to seeing this years squad.

yraciv

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 09:20:54 am
Guy in 'Rolls Royce on his way to a yacht party with friends to hang out with scantily clad models. Gets pulled over by cops. Finds out he has unpaid tickets and warrant. Guy gets pissed and vents a little because now he can't make the party. Non story.

I mean really, this is juvenile. Guy was just a little ticked off. No one likes being cuffed, unless it happens in the bedroom and is consensual.

This! And to be fair, I hear he was heading to a morning shootaround. When an arrest, no matter how minor, gets in the way of your day job it has to be frustrating.

I'll also throw the race card out there because it is so popular in today's society.  Maybe Pat felt he was getting pulled over for a bogus reason, and then he got arrested for a $300 ticket he probably didn't know about. Yeah I'd be frustrated too if that was my line of thinking!

An NBA player had the cops called on him recently because he looked suspicious when trying to approach a jewelry store.  It is possible he could have felt targeted? He grew up on the South Side of Chicago, so you know he has seen some stuff. Look I don't know the facts, I think the officer and Pat both handled it rather professionally until the cuffs were put on.  Pat lashed out a bit after, but that is totally normal given the circumstances.

Just stop with the going broke nonsense.  So he bought a Rolls Royce and some cars in his name.  Not one of us knows the volume of that, and it is certainly something he can afford if he manages his finances properly.  Lots of athletes do this, some are out of control and go broke, some don't.  Hopefully he has a smart advisor helping him with this.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 11:06:00 am
If you told your kids it's bedtime and the whole way down the hall they said "You know you lying, bruh. Don't worry about it. I'll be out this f***er in 10 seconds. I'll hop back in my playroom" but still hopped in bed. You think that is respect and should be enough?

Anywho! Can't wait for the season to start tonight, looking forward to seeing this years squad.

Way off point there comparing this to kids and bedtime, unless the kid was being handcuffed and hauled off to time out for forgetting to load the dryer.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 11:31:28 am
Way off point there comparing this to kids and bedtime, unless the kid was being handcuffed and hauled off to time out for forgetting to load the dryer.

You missed my point entirely. Just because you follow orders doesn't mean you are respectful and that shouldn't "be enough" but you know that.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 11:36:48 am
You missed my point entirely. Just because you follow orders doesn't mean you are respectful and that shouldn't "be enough" but you know that.

I'm simply saying that this is overblown, but you know that.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: yraciv on November 13, 2015, 11:06:52 am
When an arrest, no matter how minor, gets in the way of your day job it has to be frustrating.

Being detained, only briefly, can be very disconcerting and agitating. Black people often fear/suspect they are being targeted even when they are not. Past history can lead to present paranoia. Don't knock it unless you lived it.

micali

Yes it would suck and the correct thing to do is comply, as he did.  Regardless he had unpaid tickets and their job is to bring you in. Why cuss at them and act like a rich entitled brat?  It ain't gunna change anything cuz your headed down town either way. Granted, I would be upset but I'm not gunna act like a spoiled brat. That's just me. 

TomBigBeeHog

Laws aren't always equally enforced, depending on the officer and the circumstances. There are times when officers let people go when they could have made an arrest. That type of uneven enforcement can be a problem, especially for an athlete who has been given a break in that type of situation before. Then, you run across an officer who goes by the book and you think he is being an a**h***.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jry04 on November 13, 2015, 08:04:12 am
To be fair, if he is telling the truth, he didn't know he had tickets. The CC he had attached to his toll pass was expired, so his payment wasn't going through. It is still his fault, but some of the headlines make it sound like he was just avoiding paying. Who knows if that is true, though.

I do find it odd that people are saying he will without a doubt go broke because he owns a RR. He may manage his money like many of the other professionals who have gone broke before him did, but the guy just signed a contract to make over $6 million/year for the next 4 years. It isn't like he bought a RR while playing for league minimum.

It is his responsibility to keep up with a toll pass expiration and any unpaid fines or make dang sure someone else does and pays them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 10:25:16 am
Ok, I get it. You were a model citizen all those times you were sitting in a cop car with your hands behind your back. He was cuffed though and had a wrist injury he was concerned about. Reasonable request to ask if he could not be cuffed, since it is a minor infraction although, police procedures do not allow this. 

Most people aren't aware of all of the rules police have to follow, even in a case of a low level infraction like this therefore some of them take it personally. The officers handled it the way they should have. Non story.

Thankfully I've never been in the back of a cop car nor have I been hand cuffed. He still could have played this much much better. Yeah he has a wrist injury, so be nice and explain to the officer who you are and to not put the cuffs on too tight because of said injury. No reason to start cussing at them and telling them they are lying.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 11:38:56 am
I'm simply saying that this is overblown, but you know that.

Man we all like P Beverly and wish him nothing but the best. You haven't been simply saying this is overblown, your defense of him is all over the place. He is responsible for following the law, sorry, he should have just been cool about it all and this would never even be out there to become "overblown." Nobody is calling for him to be executed, just saying that he could have handled the situation better.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 12:50:15 pm
Nobody is calling for him to be executed, just saying that he could have handled the situation better.

"tense arrest" That term is normally associated with a peaceful arrest after a temporary standoff, usually an armed standoff.

This one involved a pampered athlete having a hissy fit and dropping one measley f bomb about a brief detention over unpaid toll tickets. Overblown.

TomBigBeeHog

Shouldn't have even made the news, IMO.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 01:07:42 pm
Shouldn't have even made the news, IMO.

Agreed and if PB would have been respectful it never would have.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 01:12:38 pm
Agreed and if PB would have been respectful it never would have.

Disagree about his being "respectful". Guy was getting locked up, he doesn't have to like it. F*** bombs don't concern me in the least.

Pretty sure the cops thought it was no big deal as well. Probably wished every arrestee only expressed their discontent with a cuss word or two while complying with every order they gave.

TomBigBeeHog

I drop a cuss word or two quite often. So, I am not easily offended with words. Actions.... that is a different story.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 01:29:51 pm
Disagree about his being "respectful". Guy was getting locked up, he doesn't have to like it. F*** bombs don't concern me in the least.

Pretty sure the cops thought it was no big deal as well. Probably wished every arrestee only expressed their discontent with a cuss word or two while complying with every order they gave.

I think this is the problem you and I are having; just because a guy is getting locked up, doesn't like it, f bombs don't bother you, cops didn't think it was a big deal, etc. doesn't magically make something respectful. Once again, do you think this would have made the news if PB was polite? (the normal definition of polite, not the one you get to make up in your own head btw).

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 01:37:50 pm
I think this is the problem you and I are having; just because a guy is getting locked up, doesn't like it, f bombs don't bother you, cops didn't think it was a big deal, etc. doesn't magically make something respectful. Once again, do you think this would have made the news if PB was polite? (the normal definition of polite, not the one you get to make up in your own head btw).

There is a new normal in America. This ain't Mayberry, if you haven't noticed. We are not the polite society I grew up with in rural Arkansas. People feel entitled. People mouth off. It's not just athletes or spoiled superstars. School bus drivers are getting kicked, spit on and slapped. To me, this was so not a story, cuss words or not. He did not come across as irate or out of control at any time. It's not a crime to be irritated.

Bam, Alright Now

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 13, 2015, 01:44:19 pm
There is a new normal in America. This ain't Mayberry, if you haven't noticed. We are not the polite society I grew up with in rural Arkansas. People feel entitled. People mouth off. It's not just athletes or spoiled superstars. School bus drivers are getting kicked, spit on and slapped. To me, this was so not a story, cuss words or not. He did not come across as irate or out of control at any time. It's not a crime to be irritated.

Good story and all. Was he polite? If he were polite would this have made the news? Maybe society is this way because people like you can't bring yourself to call someone out for not being respectful/polite.

trippigs

PB acted like a punk. Hope he has not become one

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: dk44 on November 13, 2015, 01:52:27 pm
Good story and all. Was he polite? If he were polite would this have made the news? Maybe society is this way because people like you can't bring yourself to call someone out for not being respectful/polite.

I am just pointing out that this society is getting more and more disrespectful, argumentative and impolite. PB's behavior is nothing to get bent out of shape about in this environment. I don't see a need for "someone like me" to call PB out. I don't care about what he said because I consider it unimportant. He doesn't represent me or my views and he didn't assault the cops. He just used a few unpretty words. I'll let the NBA worry about their fake piety and image control.

fineswine

Why does everyone defend this guy? He embarrassed the athletic department with his fraudulent academic activity.  He now seems to act like every other entitled professional athlete.  He is the poster child for everything I distain about professional athletics with the singular exception of not being a woman beater.