Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

These are your Delta State Statesmen (what's the women's mascot?)

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 09, 2015, 10:57:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas plays Delta State (from Cleveland, Miss.) in an exhibition tomorrow night. Delta State is preseason favorite in Division II's Gulf South Conference.

Key players:

G 6-4 junior Devin Schmidt - preseason All-America, great shooter, 21 ppg.
G 6-5, 210 senior Jack Madgen - preseason all-conference, from Australia so you know he can shoot (46% from 3-pt range last season).
F 6-6, 210 soph P.J. Davis, conference freshman of the year last season.
F 6-5, 220 senior Zelvin Smith Jr., good rebounder and defender.
C 6-10, 230 senior Declan Harrick - also from Australia, very much a plugger.
G 6-1 junior Terry Morris - juco transfer.
G 6-3 junior James Kilpatrick - juco transfer.

Groan - the women's team is called the "Lady Statesmen." Awful.

Delta State's men's basketball team is coached by Jim Boone (390-193 career record at D-II level). Is in the school hall of fame at California University of Pennsylvania, where he went 228-71. Boone coached on the Division I level at Robert Morris and Eastern Michigan. Very experienced coach.

Delta State should give the Razorbacks an interesting game.

[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 09, 2015, 10:57:51 am
Groan - the women's team is called the "Lady Statesmen." Awful.

You got something against lady statesmen??

Misogynist.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 09, 2015, 11:12:32 am
You got something against lady statesmen??

Misogynist.

Not on board with the whole transsexual thing.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin

Unless Boone has changed, they will play half court man to man , run a disciplined motion offense.

That is what he used to climb the ladder from cal-pa, to Robert Morris, to eastern Michigan. I know he ran it a tusculum, also
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 09, 2015, 11:18:43 am
Not on board with the whole transsexual thing.

Be careful, Biggus, the student body at Mizzou will be on you like white on rice, er, like black on rice.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TNhogfan

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2015, 11:30:22 am
Unless Boone has changed, they will play half court man to man , run a disciplined motion offense.

That is what he used to climb the ladder from cal-pa, to Robert Morris, to eastern Michigan. I know he ran it a tusculum, also
He had a couple of decent teams at Tusculum.  I don't think they have had any or many since he left. 

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2015, 11:30:22 am

Yep, he likes the read and react offense and packs the lane defensively.....well a form of pack.

Kevin

Quote from: azhog10 on November 09, 2015, 01:48:48 pm
Yep, he likes the read and react offense and packs the lane defensively.....well a form of pack.

Run a program like bob knight in the 80's
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

husker71

as long as Gerald Glass doesn't show up I am ok     he was one of my favorite non Hog players   when he transferred with Coach Murphy that team instantly became tough

Biggus Piggus

Southwestern Oklahoma State lost its second exhibition game on Saturday, but only by 73-70 to Oklahoma City. Markeise Champion scored 14 points (had 5 against the Hogs), and Nick Shoemaker had 12 (8 at Arkansas).

SWOSU made 10-23 3-pointers against OCU, 8-25 against Arkansas. The Hogs allowed 9-30 shooting inside the arc vs. 8-26 defense by OCU.

Oklahoma City, in NAIA Division I, was 18-9 with a postseason tournament appearance last year. The school has a very good history in men's basketball, most of it in NCAA Division I; dropped down in 1985. Abe Lemons coached there before getting the Texas job. Also returned there at the end of his career.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 10, 2015, 09:28:28 am
Southwestern Oklahoma State lost its second exhibition game on Saturday, but only by 73-70 to Oklahoma City. Markeise Champion scored 14 points (had 5 against the Hogs), and Nick Shoemaker had 12 (8 at Arkansas).

SWOSU made 10-23 3-pointers against OCU, 8-25 against Arkansas. The Hogs allowed 9-30 shooting inside the arc vs. 8-26 defense by OCU.

Oklahoma City, in NAIA Division I, was 18-9 with a postseason tournament appearance last year. The school has a very good history in men's basketball, most of it in NCAA Division I; dropped down in 1985. Abe Lemons coached there before getting the Texas job. Also returned there at the end of his career.
Oklahoma City also lost to North Texas last year in OT. We beat North Texas at home by 16. Unsure what Oklahoma City lost or brought back, but it looks like we played fairly well considering.

UhYeaJoe

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: UhYeaJoe on November 10, 2015, 09:47:39 am
The "Fighting Okra"

If you've ever picked okra, you would know it has a lot of fight. Stuff itches the crap out of you. Of course, my grandma's okra patch was a whole acre and I never heard of a mechanical okra picker. Plus, there is no quit in okra, it just keeps coming back. It has to be picked every other day. 
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TrueBlue

UhYeaJoe

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 10, 2015, 01:32:43 pm
Something is just not right about this picture....

Is that an okra pod, a furry jalapeno or a fuzzy pickle? Something slightly devilish about that piece of produce. Who uses produce as a mascot anyway, are these people vegetarians or something?

If they were going to use produce as a mascot they should have tried the ugli fruit. At least it might fit their product on the court.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 10, 2015, 01:32:43 pm
Something is just not right about this picture....

Why is a man hugging up on a fuzzy pickle? I have heard of bestiality, what would you call this?

TomBigBeeHog

Biggus Piggus

According to Wikipedia:

The "Fighting Okra" grew out of humor among students about the improbability that anyone would find a "Statesman" particularly frightening. In the mid-1990s, a student vote was taken, resulting in the university taking on "The Fighting Okra" as an unofficial mascot.
[CENSORED]!

phadedhawg

Anybody know if this game will be broadcast anywhere.  Arkansasrazorbacks.com doesn't have a link for radio broadcast. 

Thanks in advance.  I'll hang up and prepare for abuse :)

MissippHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 10, 2015, 04:47:33 pm
According to Wikipedia:

The "Fighting Okra" grew out of humor among students about the improbability that anyone would find a "Statesman" particularly frightening. In the mid-1990s, a student vote was taken, resulting in the university taking on "The Fighting Okra" as an unofficial mascot.
Just a little more to the story.  The name first came about from a group of baseball players at a basketball game.  It is rumored that the baseball guys got the Okra name from a rival team that said they looked like giant okra.  At the game, the baseball players started chanting "Fighting Okra" and the name stuck. 

Another little tidbit, DSU was known back then for having beautiful coeds, as well as a 7:1 girl to guy ratio.  Needless to say, my time spent there was memorable, lol.