Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jon Rothstein is becoming the new Jeff Goodman

Started by Hawg Red, November 03, 2015, 03:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25362331/under-the-radar-freshmen-uclas-jonah-bolden-makes-list

Top 20 under-the-radar freshmen.

No Whitt.

There's some kid from Mississippi State (Quinndary Weatherspoon) on there but not Jimmy Whitt, who I don't believe is getting much of any national press right now. He also lists P.J. Dozier from South Carolina, so he obviously looked at the SEC.

He's quickly replacing Jeff Goodman as a national writer that seems to go out of his way to diss or deny Arkansas. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but Jimmy Whitt is definitely an under-the-radar freshman.

-Blu

I think it was me and you that talked about Rothstein last year.  You have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.  He's VERY BIASED.  If he's a fan of a school, or if he likes the coach, or if a school treated him well when he went to watch a practice he'll go way out of his way to hype that team or player up.  His own colleagues know this and they give him a hard time and make fun of him a lot on their after game show on CBSsports network.

We just need to accept the media isn't going to like CMA much.  He gives generic answers and keeps everything close to vest and he's not going to kiss guys butts when they interview him or come to watch the team practice, so naturally a guy like Rothstein isn't going to care too much for Arkansas.  You look at the predictions he's given us over the past 3 years, and he's been way off every time.  I think predicted us something crazy like 5th or 6th last year if I remember correctly, and had us like 9th or 10th the year before that.  If CMA invited him down and took him to the catfish hole and gave him an exclusive interview, you can bet Whitt would have been on that list then.

The_Iceman

Why would anyone care about a team that will struggle to make the NIT? Mississippi State has a Top 10 recruit coming in and a coach with multiple Final 4 appearances. South Carolina has a good recruiting class to go on top of a returning Thornwell.

Jimmy Whitt is a good player, but it isn't going to matter much because of the roster Mike assembled during the 2015 offseason. Arkansas basketball will be irrelevant in 2015-2016, and that result by Mike Anderson will affect Whitt's publicity.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 03, 2015, 03:30:49 pm
Why would anyone care about a team that will struggle to make the NIT? Mississippi State has a Top 10 recruit coming in and a coach with multiple Final 4 appearances. South Carolina has a good recruiting class to go on top of a returning Thornwell.

Jimmy Whitt is a good player, but it isn't going to matter much because of the roster Mike assembled during the 2015 offseason. Arkansas basketball will be irrelevant in 2015-2016, and that result by Mike Anderson will affect Whitt's publicity.

First player listed is from St. John's, who I've seen projected to finish last in the Big East.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 03:01:24 pm
Maybe I'm just overreacting, but Jimmy Whitt is definitely an under-the-radar freshman.

Jimmy was a top 50ish recruit, so there's quite a few others who weren't included.

Some recognize that Jimmy will have ample opportunity to score, but an outsider can also make the case that Coach A prefers his vets and there are four or five upperclassmen guards that have more experience. No harm in sticking up for your/our boy though. I'm waiting to see how effective his perimeter game will be as a freshman. With no interior help to balance the defense, he'll be living off perimeter screens early and often.

Quote from: -Blu on November 03, 2015, 03:30:12 pm
We just need to accept the media isn't going to like CMA much.

That's sour grapes, talking. Coach A is a professional, who has never had any issues with the media. Portis got plenty of pub.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 03, 2015, 03:30:49 pm

What does where Arkansas project have to do with how well Whitt will perform as a freshman?  If anything him being on a bad team should help him, that means more minutes and more shots.  As Hawg Red said, the first guy on the list is on a horrible team.

And on a side not your really starting to become one bitter dude towards CMA, starting to remind me of Hogsanity a little bit.  If your bashing CMA now in almost every thread you must be all over CBB in MMQB for underachieving this year and making Arkansas the laughing stock on twitter for the first few weeks of the season.  But, my guess is your one of those guys preaching patience over there, but pitchforks over here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on November 03, 2015, 03:55:16 pm
What does where Arkansas project have to do with how well Whitt will perform as a freshman?  If anything him being on a bad team should help him, that means more minutes and more shots.  As Hawg Red said, the first guy on the list is on a horrible team.

And on a side not your really starting to become one bitter dude towards CMA, starting to remind me of Hogsanity a little bit.  If your bashing CMA now in almost every thread you must be all over CBB in MMQB for underachieving this year and making Arkansas the laughing stock on twitter for the first few weeks of the season.  But, my guess is your one of those guys preaching patience over there, but pitchforks over here.

Bielema is in year 3 of a football rebuild. Mike Anderson is in year 5 of a basketball rebuilt. 85 scholarship players vs. 13 scholarship players. Big difference. I am not happy with the performance of Bielema this year, but I understand where he is at in the program, the players he has lost to injury, the staff he's assembled, and his recruiting ability.

Coming off of 27 wins and a 2nd place finish in the SEC, Mike brought in the last ranked recruiting class in the SEC (which included the #1 player in the state going elsewhere), has his starting PG on indefinite suspension, lost the #2 in-state player to Minnesota, the #1 player in the state is at best 50/50, and has no hope of an NCAA appearance in 2016. The NIT is actually a long shot.

As of now, we are placing our hope in 2016 and that two JUCO players will come in and produce in the backcourt, that Monk decides to ignore the superior recruiting pitch from UK (and Oregon), and we don't have another disastrous off-season like 2015. So I'm sorry that I am a little more upset with Mike Anderson right now than Bret Bielema, and Jimmy Whitt not being on some irrelevant preseason list is the least of my worries.

Hawg Red

The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm reaching. Like HawgAdvocate said, there are a lot of freshmen that could stake a claim for that list. I guess I just got caught living in the Razorback bubble and letting some opinions of Rothstein fuel that.

But, like -Blu said, he is an incredibly biased writer/analyst.

tconey1

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 03:39:59 pm
First player listed is from St. John's, who I've seen projected to finish last in the Big East.

Drop the mic!!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 04:03:45 pm
The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm reaching. Like HawgAdvocate said, there are a lot of freshmen that could stake a claim for that list. I guess I just got caught living in the Razorback bubble and letting some opinions of Rothstein fuel that.

To be fair, Rothstein did tweet that Hannahs was one of five "Under-The-Radar SEC Transfers" back in July.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 03, 2015, 04:08:50 pm
To be fair, Rothstein did tweet that Hannahs was one of five "Under-The-Radar SEC Transfers" back in July.

That is fair. And I do remember him tweeting positively about Durham early in the season last year. I guess the low annual predictions and his irrational love for SMU/Larry Brown (a Razorback opponent the last two years) planted the seeds in my memory.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 03, 2015, 04:01:44 pm
Bielema is in year 3 of a football rebuild. Mike Anderson is in year 5 of a basketball rebuilt. 85 scholarship players vs. 13 scholarship players. Big difference. I am not happy with the performance of Bielema this year, but I understand where he is at in the program, the players he has lost to injury, the staff he's assembled, and his recruiting ability.

So, you'd rather complain about what could happen in year 5 with CMA rather than what's actually happening in year 3 with CBB, that make sense.

And notice you keep talking about CBB's recruiting, you complain about the basketball 2015 class because we were last in the conference (That didn't count Kouassi or Jenkins because of transfer and reclassifying), but no mentions of CBB having the 11th/14th ranked class in the SEC for 2015.  You think we're going to be successful in the SEC West in football with the 11th ranked class?

And I'm not a big football guy, I just follow casually, but I don't like this double standard that's accepted on hogville.  I've seen mods lock threads, ban people, and make statement threads that they will ban people for saying anything negative about CBB in MMQB. I felt bad for guys that thought he actually flopped, they got killed over there. Yet, you can literally go to any thread on jumpball and there's some form of bashing of CMA in every thread.  And the man just won 27 games, you'd think he'd get a little slack.  Let CBB go to the SEC championship game, you guys may start a petition to get him a statue in front of the stadium.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 04:11:49 pm
That is fair. And I do remember him tweeting positively about Durham early in the season last year. I guess the low annual predictions and his irrational love for SMU/Larry Brown (a Razorback opponent the last two years) planted the seeds in my memory.

All good. I do believe that the media will sometimes take our smaller market into account when choosing players. They do live for article clicks, after all. St. John's can suck, but they do have a helluva market.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 03, 2015, 04:20:02 pm
All good. I do believe that the media will sometimes take our smaller market into account when choosing players. They do live for article clicks, after all. St. John's can suck, but they do have a helluva market.

And Rothstein is a New York guy.

HawgAdvocate

Hawg Red

FWIW, St. John's just lost to a D2 school by 32 points.

32 points.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 04, 2015, 08:02:57 pm
FWIW, St. John's just lost to a D2 school by 32 points.

32 points.

Dang.... Hope something like that doesn't happen to us tomorrow.  Could you imagine this place if that happened?

Hawg Red

jry04

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25362331/under-the-radar-freshmen-uclas-jonah-bolden-makes-list

No Whitt.

There's some kid from Mississippi State (Quinndary Weatherspoon) on there but not Jimmy Whitt, who I don't believe is getting much of any national press right now. He also lists P.J. Dozier from South Carolina, so he obviously looked at the SEC.

He's quickly replacing Jeff Goodman as a national writer that seems to go out of his way to diss or deny Arkansas. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but Jimmy Whitt is definitely an under-the-radar freshman.
I think you are overreacting a bit. He loved us last year. He was always complimenting Arkansas on twitter. He even listed Dusty Hannahs as a transfer to watch this season a few months ago. I just think too many people are underestimating Whitt because he wasn't a top 30-40 recruit on most publications.

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 03, 2015, 04:08:50 pm
My bad, should have read the thread. Didn't see you mentioned this already.

mizzouman

No Whitt.

Don't worry about it.  Who cares?  Just let play on the court do the talking.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on November 05, 2015, 07:50:17 am
Don't worry about it.  Who cares?  Just let play on the court do the talking.

Because I'm a fan? Because I'm human? I don't know. That's just how it works. People say things and then people react. I'm not worried about anything. I vented my thoughts two days ago and resolved those feelings within a matter of minutes, if you care to read the thread. It's clear I got over it very quickly and realized I overreacted.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 05, 2015, 08:09:05 am
Because I'm a fan? Because I'm human? I don't know. That's just how it works. People say things and then people react. I'm not worried about anything. I vented my thoughts two days ago and resolved those feelings within a matter of minutes, if you care to read the thread. It's clear I got over it very quickly and realized I overreacted.
Fair enough

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 03:39:59 pm

Maybe the truth is that Jimmy Whitt was ranked in the top 100 freshmen, not the top 10 or 25 or 50, and Rothstein isn't dissing him at all.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 05, 2015, 02:20:59 pm
Maybe the truth is that Jimmy Whitt was ranked in the top 100 freshmen, not the top 10 or 25 or 50, and Rothstein isn't dissing him at all.

Yeah, again, I came to this realization 2 days ago. About an hour after creating the thread. Anyone else want to come here in, days later, and tell something I've already posted that I understand?

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 03, 2015, 04:03:45 pm

mbgrulz

Quote from: -Blu on November 03, 2015, 04:17:05 pm
So, you'd rather complain about what could happen in year 5 with CMA rather than what's actually happening in year 3 with CBB, that make sense.

And notice you keep talking about CBB's recruiting, you complain about the basketball 2015 class because we were last in the conference (That didn't count Kouassi or Jenkins because of transfer and reclassifying), but no mentions of CBB having the 11th/14th ranked class in the SEC for 2015.  You think we're going to be successful in the SEC West in football with the 11th ranked class?

And I'm not a big football guy, I just follow casually, but I don't like this double standard that's accepted on hogville.  I've seen mods lock threads, ban people, and make statement threads that they will ban people for saying anything negative about CBB in MMQB. I felt bad for guys that thought he actually flopped, they got killed over there. Yet, you can literally go to any thread on jumpball and there's some form of bashing of CMA in every thread.  And the man just won 27 games, you'd think he'd get a little slack.  Let CBB go to the SEC championship game, you guys may start a petition to get him a statue in front of the stadium.
So True!!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 05, 2015, 03:05:17 pm
Yeah, again, I came to this realization 2 days ago. About an hour after creating the thread. Anyone else want to come here in, days later, and tell something I've already posted that I understand?

[CENSORED]!