Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help me understand

Started by dishhog40, November 03, 2015, 06:27:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 10:22:11 am
Like Ice said, 247 does rank JUCO's.

Find in my posts where I said that.

So, I guess both of you guys are going to completely ignore the entire part of the post for the reasoning of Jenkins and Kouassi not being included in the ranking, yet they are 2015 recruits?  I would ignore it if I were you guys too, it made too much sense.  Since your Iceman's personal co-signer today I'll tell you the same as him, if you seriously think we brought in the least amount of talent this year, you know nothing about college basketball or at least college basketball recruiting.  Would anyone seriously take Alabama's recruiting class that's stacked with guys in the mid 200s over Jimmy Whitt.  The fact that you guys are even trying to argue that is hilarious.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 09:46:44 am
Definitely. Even 4 within the West have the potential to be pretty scary (notice I said potential, for all you people who jump on every word.) We know what Pearl and Howland can do. Jones has had LSU on a decent upswing, and you have to like Avery Johnson's potential. Then you look across at the East and have Barnes at Tenn? Yeesh.

There is no such thing as a western division in basketball.

hogman99

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 04, 2015, 09:33:39 am
I'm not saying getting rid of Heath was a good idea, I'm just saying w/r/t Pel vs Mike trajectory matters, and that you can't say 1 in 4 makes them equivalent because it matters that Mike's program is getting better and Pel's got worse.

I'll go ahead and say this.  The worst case our program has going for us now is that Mike is a stable but mediocre coach, which means that if we don't make it to where we think we ought to be in a few more seasons, the next guy will not be taking over a dumpster fire, and that may be attractive to whatever marquee name we are going after.

IF we have to get a new coach, then don't kid yourself this program won't attract a marquee name (See Florida). What the powers to be better be doing is watching these mid-tier schools and how their coaches are doing.  That is the route we will be going and if they do their job right we can get one of those coaches that is producing.

-Blu

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 04, 2015, 10:31:34 am
There is no such thing as a western division in basketball.

His username is RyanMalletsEgo, and he's saying he would take 3 guys ranked in the 200s over 1 top 75 player, is it really surprising he doesn't know that basketball doesn't have east and west divisions in the SEC? 

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogman99 on November 04, 2015, 10:33:05 am
Don't kid yourself this program won't attract a marquee name (See Florida). What the powers to be better be doing is watching these mid-tier schools and how their coaches are doing.  That is the route we will be going and if they do their job right we can get one of those coaches.

That's kinda what I meant, marquee name from a mid-level school kinda thing.  We're not stealing Bill Self or anything, but if Mike can keep doing what he is doing the program would be quite desirable for an up-and-comer type.  I guess I was meaning big name for message board types.  Not Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart exactly, but someone in that realm or whoever that would be when the time comes, which by the way I hope is a long time.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 04, 2015, 10:37:36 am
That's kinda what I meant, marquee name from a mid-level school kinda thing.  We're not stealing Bill Self or anything, but if Mike can keep doing what he is doing the program would be quite desirable for an up-and-comer type.  I guess I was meaning big name for message board types.  Not Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart exactly, but someone in that realm or whoever that would be when the time comes, which by the way I hope is a long time.

There are quality mid major coaches out there but I'm afraid Dr. Jeffrey Long will give Anderson as long as he wants even if next 2 seasons are CBI and NIT teams

RME

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 10:36:22 am
His username is RyanMalletsEgo, and he's saying he would take 3 guys ranked in the 200s over 1 top 75 player, is it really surprising he doesn't know that basketball doesn't have east and west divisions in the SEC? 

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Hey, thanks. I know there aren't divisions in basketball. Forgive me for breaking it down in a different way. I guess I have too much football on the brain.

Blu, my name is RyanMallettsEgo, actually. It's hard to take you seriously when you use constantly "your" incorrectly. It's also evident that anyone with a different opinion than your own is an idiot and doesn't know basketball. Your ad hominem attacks are pathetic. I apologize, I never realized you were a college basketball coach, player, or scout for that matter, and had such a brilliant insight into the game.

Just because you have an obsession with something doesn't mean you know a lot about it.

RME

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 10:36:22 am

-Abraham Lincoln

Also, Lincoln never said that. I too can Google quotes that are taken out of context and try to employ them to belittle another. "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet," said Thomas Jefferson.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/

http://www.greatamericanhistory.net/lincolnneversaidthat.htm

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 04, 2015, 10:43:22 am
There are quality mid major coaches out there but I'm afraid Dr. Jeffrey Long will give Anderson as long as he wants even if next 2 seasons are CBI and NIT teams

Is that avatar a representation what we are supposed to feel like when discussing this stuff with you?

Worst-case is we don't get any better basketball-wise but have a solid program from a disciplinary and organizational standpoint on top of which some new guy can build.  Whatever happens Mike won't leave in a poop-storm, the program will not be a dumpster fire and will probably have some workable talent.   That will be a good thing whenever we have to shop this job to someone new. 

Best case is that we go on some unprecedented tear of success over the next decade or so, and our next coach is someone like Zimm, TJ or Kikko and they keep it rolling.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 04, 2015, 10:51:55 am

Best case is that we go on some unprecedented tear of success over the next decade or so, and our next coach is someone like Zimm, TJ or Kikko and they keep it rolling.

Unprecedented tear? In the 90's the program went to 3 final 4's, an elite 8, and one or 2 sweet 16's, won a nc, finished runner up. So what would constitute and " unprecedented" tear?

And as for the next guy after that being TJ, Zimm or Kikko...............REALLY?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 10:25:14 am
If you seriously think we brought in the least amount of talent in the SEC this year, you know absolutely nothing about college basketball, no way to sugarcoat that.  Your basically saying you would take Alabama, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Georgia, and Vandy recruiting class (a bunch of low tier 3 stars) over Whitt, that's ridiculous.

I have not been able to go through and see if any of those teams brought in grad transfers or have transfers that will become eligible this season. But if we want to assume Jenkins is a mid-3-star , and say that Kouassi is a 4-star (despite the fact he has never produced 4-star numbers in his career), and also call Dusty Hannahs a solid 3-star, then yes: I would take that class over just the 2015 recruiting classes of those teams. I would put this class around 8th, just below South Carolina and slightly above Mizzou and Vandy.

I'll be fair with that, if that's the way you want to evaluate it. But, that class is still not acceptable considering what we lost, the facilities we built and upgraded, the programs that finished above us in the rankings, and his loss of Kapita. Then add that in to the fact we lost Babb due to Mike's mishandling of him, losing up what would have been like adding a high 3-star guard to the rotation this season. Also, us losing our top returning player and floor general in Beard, as well as our starting PF Williams (not a big fan of his, but he would have helped this team).

-Blu

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 10:45:51 am
Hey, thanks. I know there aren't divisions in basketball. Forgive me for breaking it down in a different way. I guess I have too much football on the brain.

Blu, my name is RyanMallettsEgo, actually. It's hard to take you seriously when you use constantly "your" incorrectly. It's also evident that anyone with a different opinion than your own is an idiot and doesn't know basketball. Your ad hominem attacks are pathetic. I apologize, I never realized you were a college basketball coach, player, or scout for that matter, and had such a brilliant insight into the game.

Just because you have an obsession with something doesn't mean you know a lot about it.

Spell and grammar check police always show up when someone gets their feelings hurt.  FYI, you don't have to take me seriously, I definitely don't take you serious.  And, your the one that started talking to me, I was having a conversation with Iceman, but you wanted to be his co-signer.  Me and Ice talk all the time it's nothing personal, we will argue here and then discuss recruits in PM or something later on.  If I got all these problems and it's so horrible talking to me, then I would simply put me on ignore.  I can guarantee you I won't initiate a conversation with you.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2015, 10:55:38 am
Unprecedented tear? In the 90's the program went to 3 final 4's, an elite 8, and one or 2 sweet 16's, won a nc, finished runner up. So what would constitute and " unprecedented" tear?

And as for the next guy after that being TJ, Zimm or Kikko...............REALLY?

I was kidding around, I don't know what unprecedented would be, that's why it would be unprecedented! 

TheRazorbackGuy

Um..... Why do we have to have the next coach to be part of the active family? I think this is pretty silly to think to hire guys with none or limited to head coaching experience to take over a power 5 basketball program. I don't think it matters anyways because Dr. Jeffrey Long will likely let Anderson stay so long as he doesn't have losing records. I don't agree w it but it is what it is

RME

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 10:57:33 am
Spell and grammar check police always show up when someone gets their feelings hurt.  FYI, you don't have to take me seriously, I definitely don't take you serious.  And, your the one that started talking to me, I was having a conversation with Iceman, but you wanted to be his co-signer.  Me and Ice talk all the time it's nothing personal, we will argue here and then discuss recruits in PM or something later on.  If I got all these problems and it's so horrible talking to me, then I would simply put me on ignore.  I can guarantee you I won't initiate a conversation with you.

Lol, I don't get my feelings hurt on an anonymous forum.

I tried to present an argument by saying that I simply didn't believe our recruiting class was that good, which rankings will back up. That turned into you saying I "know nothing about college basketball", because I presented my opinion that I would rather be taking several 3* to build a team over one 4*, and because I became "Iceman's co-signer".

Again, I disagreed with you, said NOTHING belittling your knowledge of the sport and you resorted to immature personal attacks rather than civil discussion.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2015, 10:56:42 am
I'll be fair with that, if that's the way you want to evaluate it. But, that class is still not acceptable considering what we lost, the facilities we built and upgraded, the programs that finished above us in the rankings, and his loss of Kapita. Then add that in to the fact we lost Babb due to Mike's mishandling of him, losing up what would have been like adding a high 3-star guard to the rotation this season. Also, us losing our top returning player and floor general in Beard, as well as our starting PF Williams (not a big fan of his, but he would have helped this team).

Babb left because he thought Qualls was coming back and he had no idea that Beard was going to have his legal troubles. He was blindsided after the fact just as much as CMA with those developments then when he leaves for Iowa State, Hoiberg bails. Pretty sure he would have stayed if he saw all that coming.

Kids leave all the time for opportunities elsewhere because the grass always looks greener on the other side. No ones fault there.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Basketball recruiting rankings are flawed and more volatile than Football rankings.

In college football most teams sign 22-25 every year the points the average themselves out.

In college basketball every team differs in the amount of available scholarship. Which can give more points to a team because they have more commits. But they may not have the better class in quality.

I agree with Blu's points regarding that and if we had had only one scholarship open I would be backing his argument 100%

However, considering the amount of open scholarships we had available and the Kapita disaster I would agree the offseason was a failure.

100% have no problem with MA signing or taking a chance on Kapita. But he shouldn't have been a pillar for our recruiting class as clearly there was some question about his eligibility.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 04, 2015, 11:04:17 am
Babb left because he thought Qualls was coming back and he had no idea that Beard was going to have his legal troubles. He was blindsided after the fact just as much as CMA with those developments then when he leaves for Iowa State, Hoiberg bails. Pretty sure he would have stayed if he saw all that coming.

Kids leave all the time for opportunities elsewhere because the grass always looks greener on the other side. No ones fault there.

Wow back to the excuses of players leaving early again.... Qualls declared pro and because Babb "thought" he was coming back then he transfered. I don't buy it. I think the coaching staff had most to do with Babb transferring.

-Blu

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 04, 2015, 11:05:10 am
Basketball recruiting rankings are flawed and more volatile than Football rankings.

In college football most teams sign 22-25 every year the points the average themselves out.

In college basketball every team differs in the amount of available scholarship. Which can give more points to a team because they have more commits. But they may not have the better class in quality.

I agree with Blu's points regarding that and if we had had only one scholarship open I would be backing his argument 100%

However, considering the amount of open scholarships we had available and the Kapita disaster I would agree the offseason was a failure.

100% have no problem with MA signing or taking a chance on Kapita. But he shouldn't have been a pillar for our recruiting class as clearly there was some question about his eligibility.

I agree that 2015 offseason was bad.  I've never said it wasn't.  I'm simply saying we didn't bring in the worst talent in the SEC for 2015.  Which if you look at the guys we brought in compared to other teams, it's pretty apparent.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 03, 2015, 07:07:54 pm
Let me step away from being an admin for a minute and make an observation using my own beliefs about the upcoming season.

I do not believe we will be a tournament team - although I have zero evidence to base that on. No games. I said last week that I thought we'd be a little better than .500.

Now, then. Here comes the important part.

Let's suppose that every time we get beat, I log on to Jump Ball just to remind people of how bad I thought we'd be. Should we happen to win, I log on to mitigate that win with whatever ammunition I can find. Just for good measure, every time I get the opportunity I'm going to talk about how badly recruiting went.

Do you know what I deserve for that?

To be banned.

Okay, now I'm an admin again.

Have you ever explained this admin thingy to Biggus?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

MississippiHawg

I was very down on our chances this year before attending the Red-White game on Sunday. The team looked a lot better than I had expected. Dusty Hannahs and Anthlon Bell both showed that they are going to be leaders on the perimeter. With them two getting hot in the right game (because you know it will happen at least once) can cause a lot of trouble for the opposing team no matter who we are playing. Moses Kingsley looked a lot stronger out there than he has in previous years and showed a lot of tenacity on the boards, got the easy points, and looked solid at the foul line. The biggest surprise was Trey Thompson. I never really liked him, even when we recruited him but the kid has developed a solid jump shot and has seem to have adapted to the pace of the game. His big body will make an impact this year. Jimmy Whitt also proved that he will be a scoring threat immediately and once he adapts to the pace and physicality of the NCAA game then he will be one of our best players. Coach MA has proved that he can win at least in Bud Walton and I believe that is not really going to change that much. I could very well see us upsetting a team or two at home on our way to a .500 season and staying somewhat relevant in the SEC. As long as we do not take a significant dip and stay at or above .500 this season, we have the recruiting class coming in plus a few more people we have a chance with that can really make some noise next season. You never know though, after all we are the Hogs.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 04, 2015, 11:05:10 am

Totally disagree. Basketball recruiting rankings are more accurate than football rankings bcuz they have AAU where you get to see college talent as high schoolers play against each other. Recruiting is VERY important in college hoops

HoopS

My goodness the forum sucks.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 11:03:56 am
Again, I disagreed with you, said NOTHING belittling your knowledge of the sport and you resorted to immature personal attacks rather than civil discussion.

"Do as Blu says, not as Blu does."

Oy vey.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 11:03:56 am
Lol, I don't get my feelings hurt on an anonymous forum.

I tried to present an argument by saying that I simply didn't believe our recruiting class was that good, which rankings will back up. That turned into you saying I "know nothing about college basketball", because I presented my opinion that I would rather be taking several 3* to build a team over one 4*, and because I became "Iceman's co-signer".

If you felt like I was belittling you I apologize.  But I don't mean anything personal.  A lot of guys you see me arguing with, that's just how we do, we'll argue one thread and then be on the same side of a discussion in another. If you get easily get offended, I'm probably not the best guy on here to start a debate with, I get fired up sometimes.  And I don't mind talking and debating with anyone that's what the board is for.  If you feel like I'm coming at you too personal, just say so, and I'll chill, I don't want anyone feeling like I'm trying to degrade them over basketball.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 11:07:29 am
I agree that 2015 offseason was bad.  I've never said it wasn't.  I'm simply saying we didn't bring in the worst talent in the SEC for 2015.  Which if you look at the guys we brought in compared to other teams, it's pretty apparent.

except that is not apparent at all. Whitt was an excellent get, after that ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: -Blu on November 04, 2015, 11:36:55 am
If you felt like I was belittling you I apologize.  But I don't mean anything personal.  A lot of guys you see me arguing with, that's just how we do, we'll argue one thread and then be on the same side of a discussion in another. If you get easily get offended, I'm probably not the best guy on here to start a debate with, I get fired up sometimes.  And I don't mind talking and debating with anyone that's what the board is for.  If you feel like I'm coming at you too personal, just say so, and I'll chill, I don't want anyone feeling like I'm trying to degrade them over basketball.

Again, I don't get easily offended. I get annoyed when a person I'm attempting to have a conversation with resorts to unwarranted belittling. It's a useless way to argue and present a point, that's all. Not offended, no feelings hurt, I just have a hard time taking someone's argument seriously when they resort to childish attacks such as "you obviously know nothing about basketball."

Anyway, this pissing contest is over. Carry on.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2015, 11:38:47 am
except that is not apparent at all. Whitt was an excellent get, after that ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

you must have missed some of the previous posts I gather

The_Iceman

Quote from: MississippiHawg on November 04, 2015, 11:12:03 am
I was very down on our chances this year before attending the Red-White game on Sunday. The team looked a lot better than I had expected. Dusty Hannahs and Anthlon Bell both showed that they are going to be leaders on the perimeter. With them two getting hot in the right game (because you know it will happen at least once) can cause a lot of trouble for the opposing team no matter who we are playing. Moses Kingsley looked a lot stronger out there than he has in previous years and showed a lot of tenacity on the boards, got the easy points, and looked solid at the foul line. The biggest surprise was Trey Thompson. I never really liked him, even when we recruited him but the kid has developed a solid jump shot and has seem to have adapted to the pace of the game. His big body will make an impact this year. Jimmy Whitt also proved that he will be a scoring threat immediately and once he adapts to the pace and physicality of the NCAA game then he will be one of our best players. Coach MA has proved that he can win at least in Bud Walton and I believe that is not really going to change that much. I could very well see us upsetting a team or two at home on our way to a .500 season and staying somewhat relevant in the SEC. As long as we do not take a significant dip and stay at or above .500 this season, we have the recruiting class coming in plus a few more people we have a chance with that can really make some noise next season. You never know though, after all we are the Hogs.

I caution taking too much away from the Red White games. They are like NBA all-star games where its a free flowing game and a lot of points were scored. We've seen this in the past at Arkansas.

The day before in practice the defense was much stronger and the competition was stronger. I came away much more troubled by what I saw there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 04, 2015, 11:12:26 am

Totally disagree. Basketball recruiting rankings are more accurate than football rankings bcuz they have AAU where you get to see college talent as high schoolers play against each other. Recruiting is VERY important in college hoops

I am not talking about ranking as far as individual players. Those are pretty accurate.

I'm talking about the Top 25 team/school rankings. Where more commits leads to a higher ranking.

So a school with 4 mediocre recruits could be higher than a school 2 very good players just because they have more scholarships available

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on November 04, 2015, 11:38:47 am

A guy who was a 4-star three years ago, but hasn't produced good numbers even at a lower tier school. A guy who reclassified and was not ranked, but we are going to give him a 3-star because one site did. And a transfer from Texas Tech who can light it up when he gets hot, but his career shows a Anthlon Bell like tendency to be hot and cold.

TomBigBeeHog

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :puke:

::hornsdown::  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

:razorback:  :razorback: :razorback:

The gamut of my emotions while reading this unbelievable thread

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 04, 2015, 11:51:28 am
:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :puke:

::hornsdown::  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

:razorback:  :razorback: :razorback:

The gamut of my emotions while reading this unbelievable thread
You need a hug ???  I understand...

-Blu

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 04, 2015, 11:41:40 am
Again, I don't get easily offended. I get annoyed when a person I'm attempting to have a conversation with resorts to unwarranted belittling. It's a useless way to argue and present a point, that's all. Not offended, no feelings hurt, I just have a hard time taking someone's argument seriously when they resort to childish attacks such as "you obviously know nothing about basketball."

Anyway, this pissing contest is over. Carry on.

Like I said, I'm probably not the best person to start a debate with then, I'd put me on ignore if I were you because it will probably happen again.  That's just the way I argue with sports I'm sorry, if you say something I feel is crazy, I'm probably going to say you don't know anything.  I thought most sports fans were like that, me and my friends taunt each other all the time and challenge each others sports knowledge, especially when our teams are playing each other.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told I don't know anything about basketball by my friends because I'm a grizzlies fan.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 04, 2015, 11:55:26 am
You need a hug ???  I understand...

I need to be around some Hog fans right now. Group therapy.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 04, 2015, 11:57:53 am
I need to be around some Hog fans right now. Group therapy.

Exhibition games Thursday and Tuesday night. There will be a few hundred there to be around.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2015, 12:02:26 pm
Exhibition games Thursday and Tuesday night. There will be a few hundred there to be around.

I know you were sincere but I can't. Distance is a factor. Saving up for the regular season games though. Already bought tickets to the LR game. I expect to have a great time, as always, calling my Hogs. Hope you are there for the exhibitions.  :razorback:

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 04, 2015, 12:16:02 pm
I know you were sincere but I can't. Distance is a factor. Saving up for the regular season games though. Already bought tickets to the LR game. I expect to have a great time, as always, calling my Hogs. Hope you are there for the exhibitions.  :razorback:

I can't go Thursday because that is always a bad night for me. But I will be going next Tuesday.

lefty08

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 04, 2015, 11:09:36 am
Have you ever explained this admin thingy to Biggus?

Very first time I actually laughed out loud 9n hogville. We'll done and so true
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2015, 09:39:24 am
The SEC has hired better coaches and recruited better players across the board. Our roster is depleted of talent and we squander away a great season by bringing in the worst recruiting class in the SEC. I would be a pretty bad lawyer if I couldn't look at those facts and determine that the upcoming season is going to be very bad.

conjecture
kənˈjekCHər/Submit
noun
an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

SEC recruiting being up is a fact, our roster being depleted is probably a fact, the rest at this point is pure conjecture.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on November 04, 2015, 11:02:20 am

Um..... Why do we have to have the next coach to be part of the active family? I think this is pretty silly to think to hire guys with none or limited to head coaching experience to take over a power 5 basketball program. I don't think it matters anyways because Dr. Jeffrey Long will likely let Anderson stay so long as he doesn't have losing records. I don't agree w it but it is what it is

That was a joke, I was just saying the best-case scenario would end in unheard of accomplishments and logically one of our assistants who currently gets zero to negative love on this board would become hot commodity and we hire one them once Mike rides off into the sunset.  I don't actually think that'll happen.  I suppose others' best case scenarios include dumping some of the assistants.

hogman99

Is that avatar a representation what we are supposed to feel like when discussing this stuff with you?

Worst-case is we don't get any better basketball-wise but have a solid program from a disciplinary and organizational standpoint on top of which some new guy can build.  Whatever happens Mike won't leave in a poop-storm, the program will not be a dumpster fire and will probably have some workable talent.   That will be a good thing whenever we have to shop this job to someone new. 

I assume you are just being funny.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on November 04, 2015, 02:35:14 pm
conjecture
kənˈjekCHər/Submit
noun
an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

SEC recruiting being up is a fact, our roster being depleted is probably a fact, the rest at this point is pure conjecture.

You, sir, are incorrect.

He has information about our current players, has seen them scrimmage/practice in person, and has basketball knowledge/experience which leads him to that conclusion.

Not the same as pure conjecture.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 04, 2015, 03:52:25 pm
You, sir, are incorrect.

He has information about our current players, has seen them scrimmage/practice in person, and has basketball knowledge/experience which leads him to that conclusion.

+1 to BDH. The guy has information inside the Razorback program much of that type of information could be more known on Jump Ball. Most of not any of us have the information "inside" the program that he has. I'm interested to hearing more.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogman99 on November 04, 2015, 03:44:53 pm
I assume you are just being funny.

Yes but I also don't buy the HV truism that our assistants are worthless.

jjdlc

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 04, 2015, 03:52:25 pm
You, sir, are incorrect.

Can you please point me in the direction of the replays of the upcomming season?  I really would like to watch all those games I've apparently missed.

We also do not know the eventual outcome of Beards situation.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on November 04, 2015, 05:02:23 pm
Can you please point me in the direction of the replays of the upcomming season?  I really would like to watch all those games I've apparently missed.

We also do not know the eventual outcome of Beards situation.

I think you missed a lot, young sir.

I think the point you want to make is he is speculating, and not stating certainties, but rather likelihoods, in his opinion, but that is different from complete conjecture.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rude1

Let me see if I can get this right. CMA wins more games every year, gets the program back into NCAA tourney since forever, wins a game. Expert fans declare next season is going to be a disaster without having played a game and the program is in shambles. CBB goes .500 last year, loses early and often out the gate this season, ranked at beginning of season and drops out quickly, now just hoping to duplicate .500 record of last season, expert fans declare we are on schedule, building it the right way, just need more depth, Toledo is really good....One would have to ask himself, which of these coaches have produced enough to have earned the benefit of the doubt?

-Blu

Quote from: rude1 on November 04, 2015, 07:03:22 pm
Let me see if I can get this right. CMA wins more games every year, gets the program back into NCAA tourney since forever, wins a game. Expert fans declare next season is going to be a disaster without having played a game and the program is in shambles. CBB goes .500 last year, loses early and often out the gate this season, ranked at beginning of season and drops out quickly, now just hoping to duplicate .500 record of last season, expert fans declare we are on schedule, building it the right way, just need more depth, Toledo is really good....One would have to ask himself, which of these coaches have produced enough to have earned the benefit of the doubt?

You summed it up pretty nicely.