Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did the Monk visit go?

Started by TexArkHogFan, November 02, 2015, 02:46:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexArkHogFan

Anybody heard any comments, twitter feeds, etc.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

PorkRinds

The Hogfather

HOGINTENNESSEE

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

HoopS

Foshodo

Cinco de Hogo

swinesation

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 02, 2015, 03:56:18 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/slimshadey23/status/660493327435874304

I considered this retweet by Malik to be a good thing lol

Holy Smokes. Pretty sure I'd be retweeting that if I was 18 no matter what I thought of the school. That's some top notch recruiting right there!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: swinesation on November 02, 2015, 08:23:54 pm
Holy Smokes. Pretty sure I'd be retweeting that if I was 18 no matter what I thought of the school. That's some top notch recruiting right there!

Louisville style!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

TexomaRazorback

He's just basking in the moment.

jry04

Dudley just said he spoke with people close to Monk who "should" know, and that the staff hit a homerun this weekend with the visit. They said they were able to really show Monk how he would be a legend if he came here, and just another Archie Goodwin if he left. Portis came back for the visit and hung with Monk all weekend. Dudley said he was told by someone close to Monk that they think he is really considering staying home, and he may end up signing early to the Hogs. He basically said if Monk had to choose today it would be Arkansas, and that if we don't get him it is because of Malik and nothing the staff did wrong.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: jry04 on November 04, 2015, 05:00:44 pm
Portis came back for the visit and hung with Monk all weekend.
Portis and the Bulls played Friday night 10/30 at Detroit
Portis and the Bulls played Sunday 11/1 in Chicago

You sure that's what he said?

Qadi999

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 04, 2015, 05:07:27 pm
Portis and the Bulls played Friday night 10/30 at Detroit
Portis and the Bulls played Sunday 11/1 in Chicago

You sure that's what he said?
Dudley said he flew in Fri night and flew back out  Sat

ADavisTheGOAT

Dudley just said he spoke with people close to Monk who "should" know, and that the staff hit a homerun this weekend with the visit. They said they were able to really show Monk how he would be a legend if he came here, and just another Archie Goodwin if he left. Portis came back for the visit and hung with Monk all weekend. Dudley said he was told by someone close to Monk that they think he is really considering staying home, and he may end up signing early to the Hogs. He basically said if Monk had to choose today it would be Arkansas, and that if we don't get him it is because of Malik and nothing the staff did wrong.
Was this on scout or the radio?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Danny J

They said they were able to really show Monk how he would be a legend if he came here, and just another Archie Goodwin if he left.
And THAT is the biggest selling point for his services. If it really is down to just us and UK then I would hit that point over and over and over and over again.

King Kong

TomBigBeeHog

Please, let it be so.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Dropkick

Archie should be the perfect example of why not go to Ky

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 08:58:33 pm
Why?

I would assume because he was a projected lottery pick before he went to UK? And then almost fell out of the first round

hoglady

Got to absolutely love Bobby Portis and his commitment and loyalty to the Arkansas Basketball program.
Just an outstanding young man.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2015, 09:03:02 pm
I would assume because he was a projected lottery pick before he went to UK? And then almost fell out of the first round

Are we suggesting that was UK or Cal's fault?

Does someone have some insight as to AG regretting his decision? 

Has he felt bad about his decision because he or family members aren't liked by Arkansas fans? 

He just had his $2+ million option for next season picked up by the Suns. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dropkick

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2015, 09:03:02 pm
And have you guys forgotten the " I can't coach you" comments by Cal when he threw Archie under the bus after UT handed his a$$ to him. Also, few give two shirts about AG in Arkansas or Kentucky now.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dropkick on November 04, 2015, 09:08:04 pm
And have you guys forgotten the " I can't coach you" comments by Cal when he threw Archie under the bus after UT handed his a$$ to him. Also, few give two shirts about AG in Arkansas or Kentucky now.

Does that bother AG?

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 09:08:43 pm
Does that bother AG?
It may not bother him, but I am sure many players would rather be a legend somewhere, rather than an afterthought. Archie is doing fine for himself. I am sure Portis enjoyed being the big man on campus, and being loved by fans everywhere he went, rather than being thrown under the bus by his coach and booed by his own fans. Portis is welcome back well after his playing days are over. He could get a job with RSN when he retires, or maybe a spot on the staff. You think UK will do that for Archie?

Wherever Monk goes, he will shine. He will get drafted in the top 10 whether he goes to Arkansas or UK. The only difference is his odds of winning a championship, and his place in history at that particular school.

I will say, if we are able to land Cook and Monk, then I will believe we have potential at a top 10 team.

Dropkick

I don't know Mrs. Goodwin but someday it may.

Porked Tongue

November 04, 2015, 09:14:48 pm #28 Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:27:46 pm by Porked Tongue
Well, I think the perception is more about post-basketball career & life.

The thought being Portis will do victory laps around this state for life.  AG will not be so privileged.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on November 04, 2015, 09:11:49 pm
It may not bother him, but I am sure many players would rather be a legend somewhere, rather than an afterthought. Archie is doing fine for himself. I am sure Portis enjoyed being the big man on campus, and being loved by fans everywhere he went, rather than being thrown under the bus by his coach and booed by his own fans.

Wherever Monk goes, he will shine. He will get drafted in the top 10 whether he goes to Arkansas or UK. The only difference is his odds of winning a championship, and his place in history at that particular school.

I will say, if we are able to land Cook and Monk, then I will believe we have potential at a top 10 team.

Absolutely.  It depends on the player and how they feel both now and how they look back on it later in life.  I have no doubt Portis enjoyed his time at Arkansas and his decision and never second guessed it.  No reason to have.  No reason to assume AG did either. 

Arkansas fans hope right now is Monk does care about his likely brief college legacy and how fans in his home state feel about him. 

Monk I get.  Why Cook?   Sounds like he might develop into a solid role player.  But why the estimate he would make such an impact next season?  I would think Monk + Moses' development, maybe Thompson, what Whitt shows this season and Barford and Macon would go further in preseason hype and rankings. 

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 04, 2015, 09:14:48 pm

The thought being Portis will due victory laps around this state for life.  AG will not be so privileged.

Of course.  Depends on what each person cares about. 

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 09:08:43 pm
Does that bother AG?

Does it both him that he dropped in the draft costing him a lot of money, because Cal played him out of position and called him uncoachable?

I'm sure it doesn't bother him at all

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 04, 2015, 09:14:48 pm

The thought being Portis will due victory laps around this state for life.  AG will not be so privileged.
Correct and good luck to AG trying to do anything in Kentucky. It is not just UK in Kentucky....it is Louisville also. I couldn't care less if AG flopped in the NBA and went to work at McDonalds in Lexington.

Atlhogfan1

If Monk wants to look to a cautionary tale of leaving home then he should look to Darnell Robinson.  Perhaps Coach A should tell him about Darnell and his regrets.  How Darnell wishes he would have stayed in the East Bay and went to Cal. 

hawgfan4life

Nice propaganda but we know none of this can be true because we all know he is committed to KY and AR coaches can't recruit.  If it is true, about 80% of posts regarding Monk, recruiting, and Monk's recruiting just became invalid.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2015, 09:21:48 pm
Does it both him that he dropped in the draft costing him a lot of money, because Cal played him out of position and called him uncoachable?

So you do believe it was Cal's fault he dropped in the draft.  Maybe it was.  And AG may regret his decision. 

Atlhogfan1

I also think some are selling Portis short.  He and DMac may have considered their legacy and post-sports life and how that would be affected by attending Arkansas vs other colleges.  But they definitely signed with the Razorbacks because they were Razorbacks before being offered.  They wanted to help the Razorbacks win.  Viewed it as an obligation and did it out of devotion and love for their home state university.  To suggest a player is worried primarily about their own legacy isn't always true.  Where Portis deserves even more respect is his selfless attitude towards the program.  Can't imagine too many situations where players like Portis or DMac would have left the state. 

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 09:19:54 pm
Absolutely.  It depends on the player and how they feel both now and how they look back on it later in life.  I have no doubt Portis enjoyed his time at Arkansas and his decision and never second guessed it.  No reason to have.  No reason to assume AG did either. 

Arkansas fans hope right now is Monk does care about his likely brief college legacy and how fans in his home state feel about him. 

Monk I get.  Why Cook?   Sounds like he might develop into a solid role player.  But why the estimate he would make such an impact next season?  I would think Monk + Moses' development, maybe Thompson, what Whitt shows this season and Barford and Macon would go further in preseason hype and rankings. 

Of course.  Depends on what each person cares about. 
Those guys are already committed or on the team, so I didn't mention them. Cook would be a solid role player, that can make an instant impact. He may not score double digits, but he will be able to add quality depth in the post. We will be LOADED at the guard position with Monk. Barford, Macon, Monk, Beard (if he returns), Whitt, and Hannahs will all be able to get buckets. You will also have Watkins who is more of a role player. Cook to go with Bailey would add much needed size/depth at positions of need.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2015, 09:21:48 pm

What does that have to do with Monk though? Just because he's from the same state? UK and Cal has reeled in five other of out-of-state guards and helped them achieve quite a bit of amateur and profe$$ional success. Is there some curse I'm not aware of?  Why should Monk believe he would suffer the same exact circumstances? He's not Archie Goodwin.

There are great reasons for Monk to stay in AR. But let's not be so naive about this by bringing up the AG comparisons.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hammer66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 09:31:13 pm
I also think some are selling Portis short.  He and DMac may have considered their legacy and post-sports life and how that would be affected by attending Arkansas vs other colleges.  But they definitely signed with the Razorbacks because they were Razorbacks before being offered.  They wanted to help the Razorbacks win.  Viewed it as an obligation and did it out of devotion and love for their home state university.  To suggest a player is worried primarily about their own legacy isn't always true.  Where Portis deserves even more respect is his selfless attitude towards the program.  Can't imagine too many situations where players like Portis or DMac would have left the state. 

The point isn't whether that matters to MM or not. The point is that is the absolute best and probably only chance the coaches have to convince him to be a hog.
You seem very passionate that this is a non factor. You may be right (probably are) but hog fans want this pitch to work.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 04, 2015, 09:46:08 pm
What does that have to do with Monk though? Just because he's from the same state? UK and Cal has reeled in five other of out-of-state guards and helped them achieve quite a bit of amateur and profe$$ional success. Is there some curse I'm not aware of?  Why should Monk believe he would suffer the same exact circumstances? He's not Archie Goodwin.

There are great reasons for Monk to stay in AR. But let's not be so naive about this by bringing up the AG comparisons.

I never compared the two or their situations. That was another poster and apparently Dudley Dawson.

I will however stand by my opinion it didn't work out as planned for Archie at UK.

Would have gone higher in the draft if he had gone here? I think so, but that could just be me underestimating how much his inability to shoot the ball may have dropped him in the draft.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hammer66 on November 04, 2015, 09:55:07 pm
The point isn't whether that matters to MM or not. The point is that is the absolute best and probably only chance the coaches have to convince him to be a hog.
You seem very passionate that this is a non factor. You may be right (probably are) but hog fans want this pitch to work.

Now how have I seemed to have suggested this is a non factor?  Read my posts in this thread or others about the subject.  I've stated just the opposite.  I do believe it is one of the strongest pitches the Hogs have.  This forum is like talking with sensitive children sometimes. 

Has MM said anything or indicated somehow that minutes are important to him?  I'm with HA in that I don't think AG's situation is really related.  But if it were, would the fact Archie got over 1,000 minutes in his freshman season at UK be appealing to MM?  Cal has had players with 1200-1300 minutes in a season.  Coach A has only had two over a 1,000 in a season at Ar- Portis and Qualls last season a little over 1,000 each.  No freshman yet at Arkansas.  Just posing the questions and not making an argument or giving an opinion. 

hammer66

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 10:02:41 pm
Now how have I seemed to have suggested this is a non factor?  Read my posts in this thread or others about the subject.  I've stated just the opposite.  I do believe it is one of the strongest pitches the Hogs have.  This forum is like talking with sensitive children sometimes. 

Has MM said anything or indicated somehow that minutes are important to him?  I'm with HA in that I don't think AG's situation is really related.  But if it were, would the fact Archie got over 1,000 minutes in his freshman season at UK be appealing to MM?  Cal has had players with 1200-1300 minutes in a season.  Coach A has only had two over a 1,000 in a season at Ar- Portis and Qualls last season a little over 1,000 each.  No freshman yet at Arkansas.  Just posing the questions and not making an argument or giving an opinion. 

Do you realize your response appears sensitive? Just giving you a hard time.

Non factor was poor wording on my part. Your posts just make it sound like you don't want him to be a hog, IMO. Maybe you are being devils advocate.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hammer66 on November 04, 2015, 10:11:30 pm
Do you realize your response appears sensitive? Just giving you a hard time.

Non factor was poor wording on my part. Your posts just make it sound like you don't want him to be a hog, IMO. Maybe you are being devils advocate.

Just posing questions for discussion. 

Not sure how it sounds like I don't want him to be a Hog.  Never even hinted to anything like that.  I don't have any reason to believe AG regretted his decision although he may.  I do know a player like Darnell did and hopefully MM won't regret his and look back on his college experience in near the same way.  Players like Portis and DMac are great examples of it working out to stay home.  We've had some other athletes where it didn't.

I will be more surprised if MM doesn't sign with Arkansas than if he does. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: King Kong on November 04, 2015, 09:58:46 pm
I never compared the two or their situations. That was another poster and apparently Dudley Dawson.

I will however stand by my opinion it didn't work out as planned for Archie at UK.

Would have gone higher in the draft if he had gone here? I think so, but that could just be me underestimating how much his inability to shoot the ball may have dropped him in the draft.

My apologies. I didn't necessarily mean to point the finger at you. I had read the comments made above and simply replied to the last post on the topic of AG. I suppose I should have replied to Dropkick.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on November 04, 2015, 09:42:16 pm
Those guys are already committed or on the team, so I didn't mention them. Cook would be a solid role player, that can make an instant impact. He may not score double digits, but he will be able to add quality depth in the post. We will be LOADED at the guard position with Monk. Barford, Macon, Monk, Beard (if he returns), Whitt, and Hannahs will all be able to get buckets. You will also have Watkins who is more of a role player. Cook to go with Bailey would add much needed size/depth at positions of need.

That would be a lot of guards. 
'17
Watkins 6-3 SR
Hannahs 6-3 SR
Whitt 6-5 SO
Macon JR
Barford JR
Beard JR?

Not listing Jenkins.

So who loses their minutes to Monk? 

What is Cal telling MM about what his guard depth will be and the minutes to be had?   I believe he signed 4 in the last class.  0 so far committed in the current one.

hogcam

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 04, 2015, 10:28:40 pm
That would be a lot of guards. 
'17
Watkins 6-3 SR
Hannahs 6-3 SR
Whitt 6-5 SO
Macon JR
Barford JR
Beard JR?

Not listing Jenkins.

So who loses their minutes to Monk? 

What is Cal telling MM about what his guard depth will be and the minutes to be had?   I believe he signed 4 in the last class.  0 so far committed in the current one.

Monk would take any of their minutes. He'd be the best player on the team.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcam on November 04, 2015, 10:52:28 pm

Yes he would probably be the team's most talented player.  Not really the point of the question.  How would he fit and what is he being told?  Just some things to speculate/bs about while we wait on his decision.  Would a Sr SG like Hannahs have a reduced role?  Or a possibly talented scorer like Whitt or Macon?  In how we play, don't think we can have too much guard depth.  Would be good to have finally. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hoglady on November 04, 2015, 09:03:40 pm
Got to absolutely love Bobby Portis and his commitment and loyalty to the Arkansas Basketball program.
Just an outstanding young man.
Yes he is.
My take is that yes, Bobby is all-Hog, but he probably felt a need to give back. He should feel no guilt at all for leaving early and being drafted in the first round, but I think he probably felt like 'hey, I did what I felt best for me, and I don't feel bad about that, but me and Qualls leaving put the program in a bind to some degree which is unfortunate, so I'm going to do what I can to help the program out by trying to help them recruit Monk.'

SPAL

I love you, bro.

King Kong

Quote from: hogcam on November 04, 2015, 10:52:28 pm

Yeah, Watkins and Hannahs probably have there min cut like Ricky Scott and Wade did there SR years. Which is a good thing.

We run a 3 guard like up there is plenty of mins there for all those other 4 guys.

Personally I don't think UK's Briscoe is locks for being one and done. Ullis with a wonderful college player not sure about his NBA prospects either. The Murray kid has risen to the top 10 in most mock drafts right now but prior to signing with UK most had him last first round.

Add in Fox who everyone says is a lock for UK and that backcourt Could be just as full with more talented players than we have.

Now as far as how they plan to use him? I assume they are telling him in the Half Court he will has the ball in his hands to make plays like a PG but on the Fastbreak they want him of the ball and finishing at the Rim