Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Johnson Will Soon Pass Glen Rice on all-time NBA Arkansan Scorers List

Started by edemire, October 28, 2015, 10:23:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

Johnson is the only Hog in the Top 4 but he's steadily rising and should take the top spot from Pippen this season. By "NBA Arkansan," I mean someone who was either born in the state or played here in college before playing in the NBA (or ABA).

Overall, I have found 70 such NBA Arkansans. From those I made an all-time Top 50 list of the top career scorers. Here's a slapdash cut 'n paste of the top 10:

Player   Points   Points Per Game   Years in NBA   Birthplace
1   Scottie Pippen   18940   16.1   17   Hamburg
2   Glen Rice   18336   18.3   15   Jacksonville
3   Joe Johnson   18326   17.3   14   Little Rock
4   Joe Barry Carroll   12455   17.7   10   Pine Bluff
5   Sidney Moncrief   11931   15.6   11   Little Rock
6   Archie Clark   11819   16.3   10   Conway
7   Paul Silas   11782   9.4   16   Prescott
8   Alvin Robertson   10882   14   10   Barberton, OH
9   Derek Fisher   10713   8.3   18   Little Rock
10   Fat Lever   10433   13.9   11   Pine Bluff

Complete, non headache-inducing list here:
http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/coming-soon/

Last night, by the flickering light of my hearth, I lovingly cobbled together Hog-only rankings here:
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/10/27/9622520/joe-johnson-nba-razorback-preview-statistical

and here:

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/evin-demirel-bobby-portis-can-dominate-nba-hogs/

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

WMHawgfan

Thanks for posting this. There are some big names on there that I had no idea were native Arkansans.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on October 28, 2015, 10:31:38 am
Thanks for posting this. There are some big names on there that I had no idea were native Arkansans.

Like Glen Rice.. I had never seen that before.. too bad he wasn't a Hog...

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 28, 2015, 11:13:13 am
Like Glen Rice.. I had never seen that before.. too bad he wasn't a Hog...

Not from Jacksonville. Was born on the Air Force Base. Wasn't here long and probably doesn't even remember being here.

edemire

Born in Jacksonville (area), whether in a hospital on/near the AFB or a medical facility in some nearby town. Still, Jacksonville AR is a LOT more accurate than Flint, MI, which is listed as his official birthplace on 97% of the bios and trading cards out there.

The more important point is Rice grew up in Benton, AR. He definitely remembers living there until around 9 years old, as I write in the hyperlinked post.

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 28, 2015, 11:14:39 am
Not from Jacksonville. Was born on the Air Force Base. Wasn't here long and probably doesn't even remember being here.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

novack2

http://www.bentoncourier.com/content/nba-champion-rice-coming-back-home-benton

Recently was back in town. He lived in Benton until he was 12. Did a basketball camp at PARK while he was in town.

Dominicanhog

novack2

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 28, 2015, 11:41:09 am
did Nolan recruit him?

Rice's first year at Michigan (85-86) was the same as Nolan's at Arkansas. I would imagine that he was already signed, sealed, and delivered to Michigan before Nolan accepted the Arkansas job. Complete speculation though.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: novack2 on October 28, 2015, 11:51:37 am
Rice's first year at Michigan (85-86) was the same as Nolan's at Arkansas. I would imagine that he was already signed, sealed, and delivered to Michigan before Nolan accepted the Arkansas job. Complete speculation though.

that makes sense.. thanks..

Hawg Red

That's what I get for not reading the article. I had always assumed Rice wasn't here long. Never knew he was a true Arkansan.

edemire

No worries - I had the same assumption before Nate Olson gave me a heads up and I started seeing the Benton Courier reporting on this. I'll try to talk to him in the next couple of days for a SLAM piece and I'll ask him about what he thought of the basketball Hogs.

I know, per Nate, that he was a huge football fan in the early-mid 1980s and presumably would have been watching some Lou Hotlz-era Razorbackage.

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 28, 2015, 12:12:02 pm
That's what I get for not reading the article. I had always assumed Rice wasn't here long. Never knew he was a true Arkansan.

TrueBlue

Just think what would it had been like if the Triplets had Joe Barry Carroll with them??

We might have won multiple NC's.

hawkhawg

I know glen rices younger brother. Glen still has family in Arkansas.

lefty08

Not sure that is true, he still has family here.......
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 29, 2015, 10:03:39 pm
I know glen rices younger brother. Glen still has family in Arkansas.

I ran into Ed today, not sure if  he is a brother or cousin, never have asked
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jchill

Quote from: WMHawgfan on October 28, 2015, 10:31:38 am

Agree! Surprised to see Silas, Rice, and Lever on the list.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Overtheroadtruckdriver