Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 24, 2024, 07:25:02 pm

SEARCH BUTTON

Started by wevsspot, September 24, 2007, 01:19:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wevsspot

Can anyone tell me what happened to the forum "search" function toolbar?  I can't seem to find it anymore when using Firefox as my web browser.

Lanny

You must have 500 post before you can use the search feature. 
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

wevsspot

nughaud

500 Posts?  Wow.... That's excessive... just asking for people to post nonsense so they can search.

Doug

Our site, our rules.  We're tired of people abusing resource they don't pay for, yet do nothing to contribute valid info/posts to the site.  It's not targetting you, nughaud, but a few certain mendgets that caused this inconvenience for others like yourself.

I'm sorry you're caught unfairly with this, but it is what it is.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

nughaud

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll be able to use the search function in 2.74 years.  I'm not going to ramp up my post count and "waste resources" just so I can use a search function which would allow me to use less resources.  I understand your reason, just think 500 is way to excessive.

pig pickin

December 11, 2007, 10:34:57 am #6 Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:42:09 am by txkpoker
Quote from: Douglas on October 18, 2007, 08:46:01 pm
Our site, our rules.  We're tired of people abusing resource they don't pay for, yet do nothing to contribute valid info/posts to the site.  It's not targetting you, nughaud, but a few certain mendgets that caused this inconvenience for others like yourself.

I'm sorry you're caught unfairly with this, but it is what it is.

Seems like this is a way to ensure people will "+1" their way to 500 posts to me.

Also, I see a lot of complaints from veteran posters about newbies making duplicate posts.  A great solution to that would be to allow anyone to search and have an FAQ sticky at the top of each forum that explains the expectations and guidelines for posting.  Requesting that newbies use the search feature to make sure that the topic they are posting hasn't already been posted would be something that could be put in the FAQ along with whatever other guidelines you want to see in place.  This would easily clear up a ton of forum clutter and make modding easier.  I realize that the coaching search has brought a lot of new people into this place (me included), but I'm really trying to make a recommendation that I sincerely believe would make this forum much easier to navigate.

Hawgwild8988

I think instead of being based on post count, the use of the search feature should be based on tenure. I have been a member for 3 1/2 years, since June 28, 2004, and my post count is only 96. I shouldn't be punished because I don't whore myself out on every post by saying "good post", "+1", and all of that other bull crap. The people that abused the feature were looking for a quick find and were probably registered for hours to a day tops, not THREE AND A HALF YEARS.
>:(

Doug

Hawgwild (and others), like I said, I'm sorry that y'all are being hit by this.  Yes, it is unfair, but due to the abuse of a few incompetent twittards, their actions have necessitated this change.

Please do note that useless posts (such as one liners or +1's that are done to inflate post counts) will do nothing for you, except irritate admins and moderators, and are subject to being removed.  You will lose post counts that way, and if the admin that's removing your post is in a less than jovial mood, you could very well be penalized a few additional posts on top of that.

Yes, it's a challenge to post 500 well thought out posts... but people DO accomplish that.  If you want something bad enough, you need to do your part to contribute.  Think of it as a reward/bonus for achieving a good milestone.

As I said, a few bad apples (IDIOTS!) necessitated this change.

Also, we cannot do this based on tenure, one of these twittards has had "her" account for quite some time, as well.  Further, this would require a major code re-write to accomplish this.  I, frankly, do not have the time to sit here and re-invent the wheel for such an arduous task.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)