Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Julie Cromer Peoples’ Press Conference

Started by WilsonHog, November 24, 2017, 08:02:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

November 24, 2017, 08:02:25 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:35:34 pm by Arkansas Traveler
    I thought JCP did a good job, FWIW.

(1) There will be no hiring committee.

(2) Chancellor Steinmetz is focused on the AD search, and her focus is on the coaching search.

(3) She feels like she has the authority to make the hiring decision.

(4) She wants a coach who understands Arkansas and our culture.

(5) She does not believe it is necessary to have a permanent AD in place to hire the football coach.

(6) The hiring search starts tonight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFSBKC-WME[/list]

Mr. Porkleone

a0ashle

I am floored...seriously. That was a superficially normal PC, but the more I think on it, the crazier this whole thing is. I hope it ends well.

007 License To Squeal

No search committee?  Then she has her choice already lined up....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Dark Helmet Hog

Ugly Uncle

Just my opinion...no inside info:

They have plan A, plan B, and Plan C. 

Plan D is hiring a search committee and getting whoever they can get.

I think we get A or B.
Retired Radio Host

duckman

It is how it has been....

Gus will be here if he wants it, if not it will be Norvell...

hotdog hog

1HourToHogville

She had the same believability as Sarah Huckabee Sanders or the former Iraqi Defense Minister in claiming she will do the hiring.   

They put her in a tough spot and she did fine. But I don't believe what she said that she's leading a search by herself. If indeed that's true, we're in trouble.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Karma on November 24, 2017, 09:58:57 pm
They put her in a tough spot and she did fine. But I don't believe what she said that she's leading a search by herself. If indeed that's true, we're in trouble.

It probably depends on your definition of lead. When it's all said and done I would think she'll be the one to officially extend the offer and make the hire if the new AD hasn't been hired yet.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Karma on November 24, 2017, 09:58:57 pm

Agree.  It's hard for me to believe Steinmetz and Bobbitt are going to allow her to make such a huge hire.  Her statement that she has people who she will seek out for advice makes me tend to believe the next coach is all teed up and all she has to do is step up on the tee box and make contact.  If that's not how things are, we are probably in serious dutch.

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 24, 2017, 10:11:16 pm
It probably depends on your definition of lead. When it's all said and done I would think she'll be the one to officially extend the offer and make the hire if the new AD hasn't been hired yet.
That is likely true. But I don't think she'll be the one making the decision on who to hire.

tusksincolorado

One thing I do know from years of experience....Peoples is a Director of Human Resources plain and simple. Her answers was "tight, concise, and well scripted".

She is definitely carrying the water for someone or some committee...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: duckman on November 24, 2017, 09:00:23 pm
It is how it has been....

Gus will be here if he wants it, if not it will be Norvell...
Ok....will Gruden be Recruiting Director?

Please enlighten those of us outside the inner circle.

duckman

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on November 25, 2017, 02:12:16 am
Ok....will Gruden be Recruiting Director?

Please enlighten those of us outside the inner circle.

Like I'm the only one saying this.. LOL

cosmodrum

I hope things line up for Norvell. I'm tired of drama. I want someone fresh. Seems everyone that's been around him believes he's the real deal.
Go away, batin'

hawgbawb

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 25, 2017, 02:42:41 am
I hope things line up for Norvell. I'm tired of drama. I want someone fresh. Seems everyone that's been around him believes he's the real deal.
Agreed.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Kneph13

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 25, 2017, 02:42:41 am

Ditto
There is no Political Correctness in war

netteltonhog

He's in my top 3, which doesn't include Gus

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 24, 2017, 10:18:08 pm
Agree.  It's hard for me to believe Steinmetz and Bobbitt are going to allow her to make such a huge hire.  Her statement that she has people who she will seek out for advice makes me tend to believe the next coach is all teed up and all she has to do is step up on the tee box and make contact.  If that's not how things are, we are probably in serious dutch.

What if the next athletic director is currently "advising" her and acting as an intermediary with the potential coach's agent.

Keeps him from getting FOIA'd by a disgruntled fan.

The PTB/GOBN has developed and learned in the last decade from Jeff.
This is my non-signature signature.

jackflash

I think she did a great job at the press conference

cosmodrum

Did y'all see Bazzel's reaction to the presser? He should've just said "who does this broad think she is?"
Go away, batin'

zuko

Primary  requirement for the new coach hire.  Be in reasonably good condition and look like a coach. Athletes tend to listen and respect a coach more who is in good condition that he will be able to do what he tells them to do. Not to look like you slept in the clothes you wear to the game.  Be a coach first and then a father figure, makes parting a little easier if you fail. Be in control of the English language and project with clarity what you are saying so we will be able to understand you when something went wrong and you are trying to explain it. Try to get you assistants pat by the second or third season you are on board and hold them accountable. Bad defense cost the old coach and the AD his job. If you are responsible for a bad effort, eat it.

zuko

To Julie Cromer Peoples if you are the exclusive hirer of the new Head Coach.  Resist being impressed by a coach who has been on job and successful for one or two years since he might be the beneficiary of the success of the parting coach. Especially if the parting coach went for a much bigger job. Justin Fuentes had a good run at Memphis and Mike Norvell was the beneficiary of good personnel left behind. I can go the other way as well. Charlie Strong who has an excellent rep wherever he coached but found out that you can't dig you way out with bad personnel and Tom Herman of Texas is finding that out now.

Matt Burks

Quote from: zuko on November 25, 2017, 12:36:01 pm
To Julie Cromer Peoples if you are the exclusive hirer of the new Head Coach.  Resist being impressed by a coach who has been on job and successful for one or two years since he might be the beneficiary of the success of the parting coach. Especially if the parting coach went for a much bigger job. Justin Fuentes had a good run at Memphis and Mike Norvell was the beneficiary of good personnel left behind. I can go the other way as well. Charlie Strong who has an excellent rep wherever he coached but found out that you can't dig you way out with bad personnel and Tom Herman of Texas is finding that out now.
Actually Fuente changed his offense after meeting and learning from Norvell when Norvell was the OC at Arizona State. Further nearly all the players on the field for Memphis are Norvell's recruits. So Fuente became the hot coach because of Norvell.

sowmonella

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 25, 2017, 11:19:24 am
Did y'all see Bazzel's reaction to the presser? He should've just said "who does this broad think she is?"
I don't agree with Bazzel often but if that was his reaction I absolutely agree. She doesn't need to be seen speaking for the UA again. I was stunned at how arrogant she presented herself.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

cosmodrum

Quote from: sowmonella on November 26, 2017, 11:09:31 pm
I don't agree with Bazzel often but if that was his reaction I absolutely agree. She doesn't need to be seen speaking for the UA again. I was stunned at how arrogant she presented herself.

She was just trying to reassure folks that we aren't a rudderless ship. Doesn't matter. She has zero to do with hiring a coach.
Go away, batin'

logic

November 27, 2017, 01:01:19 pm #31 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:58:48 pm by logic
If Julie chooses the next head football coach, she may make an outstanding choice or she may make a terrible choice.  Regardless of who chooses the next head football coach, there are no guarantees.  Even Frank Broyles didn't always make the best choice.

Greg ManChilds

Just my thoughts on what is going on with AD & Coaching hire. JCP is making this hire at the direction of the PTB. JCP is serving as nothing more than a mouthpiece for those who want to remain anonymous. The AD hire will take longer and that will be because they University wants to best possible person to maintain the success we have in other athletics. I feel that this allows who ever eventually is tasked with leading our athletic department the ability to fire this coaching hire if it doesn't appear to be working out rather quickly. That gives the PTB the ability to reach on a coaching hire as opposed to going the safe route like we did with Bret.

duckman

duckman

November 28, 2017, 11:24:54 am #34 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:18:52 pm by duckman
Search firm is window dressing...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: duckman on November 28, 2017, 11:24:54 am
Search firm is window dressing...
correctamundo. more like an ass drape, but yeah.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 24, 2017, 10:18:08 pm
quick question--- I get this confused-who is the top guy?  The President or The Chancellor?  Is Bobbitt the top guy for UA system and Steinmetz is the chancellor of just the Fayetteville campus?  Is that the pecking order?