Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former "Voice" of the Razorbacks(and Gamecocks) died yesterday

Started by hogfan064, November 04, 2010, 05:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Bob Fulton had to be one of the first men to call Razorback games.  He was a graduate of The University of The Ozarks and called Hog games in the late 40s and early 50s.  He was station director for a local radio station in Little Rock(forget which one).

He's most known for being the voice of The Gamecocks for 43 years, but he started in Arkansas and always talked highly of the Razorbacks. 

Any older Hog fans remember him? 

DeltaBoy

I  heard of him from my Grandpa.  Prayers for his family!

http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/04/1543968/voice-of-the-gamecocks-bob-fulton.html
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JaxFlaRazorback

Interesting that several of our Razorback Voices have ties to other SEC schools.  Paul was the Vandy "Voice" before he came here.

My recollection doesn't go back to Fulton, only to Bob Cheyne.

go hogues

All the great ones (whether coach or broadcaster) have come through Arkansas. Pretty amazing for a small state.

RIP
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Shoat61

My earliest memory of listening to the games is 1953 and Wally Ingalls (sp?) was the play-by-play guy.  "Win, lose, or draw...let's be sports about it!" was his sign off.  One feature of broadcasts back then was that the announcers always turned the mic to the field for the National Anthem and the Alma Mater.  Too bad talking heads have gotten rid of those traditions.  They had great meaning.  The Arkansas Alma Mater at some point, and by some group, was rated the most beautiful in the nation.  Even at today's games, people don't even listen or acknowledge it much.

smooviecock

One of the greatest thrills in my college career was hearing a tape of a game my Mama made with Bob Fulton calling the play I made a sack on.....Actually my first game I ever played in college.....And after 2 years I still got a big kick out of hearing him call my number.....Hell all of us back then loved it......Later in life I became friends with him and his lovely wife Carrol.....and let me tell ya some of the stories he told where unreal....My favorite is when he was sitting at a dinner table with Frank McQuire and Bear Bryant...and most of the conversation was McQuire telling Bryant he needed to start recruiting black players....Can you imagine..??

hogfan064

Quote from: Shoat61 on November 04, 2010, 10:16:19 am
My earliest memory of listening to the games is 1953 and Wally Ingalls (sp?) was the play-by-play guy.  "Win, lose, or draw...let's be sports about it!" was his sign off.  One feature of broadcasts back then was that the announcers always turned the mic to the field for the National Anthem and the Alma Mater.  Too bad talking heads have gotten rid of those traditions.  They had great meaning.  The Arkansas Alma Mater at some point, and by some group, was rated the most beautiful in the nation.  Even at today's games, people don't even listen or acknowledge it much.

I do play by play for a SOuth Carolina High School team. I also do play by play for the South Carolina State Championship games at W-B Stadium every year.

I always make it a point to let the crowd listening at home hear the National Anthem, Alma Mater, and the team's entrance.  I hope my audience enjoys this part of our pregame. 

tiber

Quote from: smooviecock on November 04, 2010, 11:05:58 am
One of the greatest thrills in my college career was hearing a tape of a game my Mama made with Bob Fulton calling the play I made a sack on.....Actually my first game I ever played in college.....And after 2 years I still got a big kick out of hearing him call my number.....Hell all of us back then loved it......Later in life I became friends with him and his lovely wife Carrol.....and let me tell ya some of the stories he told where unreal....My favorite is when he was sitting at a dinner table with Frank McQuire and Bear Bryant...and most of the conversation was McQuire telling Bryant he needed to start recruiting black players....Can you imagine..??

Good stuff. 

Shoat61

I'm sure they do, HogFan.  It is all part of the great atmosphere college sports have over the pros.  Now if we could just get the TV talking heads to be quiet before the game and during halftime so we can soak up that atmosphere rather than their tired, canned bickering for ratings.  Give me the great band music rather than Lou and all the guys saying the same old tired cliches week after week.

go hogues

Quote from: Shoat61 on November 04, 2010, 10:16:19 am
The Arkansas Alma Mater at some point, and by some group, was rated the most beautiful in the nation.  Even at today's games, people don't even listen or acknowledge it much.
I get a lump in my throat every time the Alma Mater plays and I didn't even attend the UA! It's a very beautiful song.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />