Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if........

Started by oldfart, March 20, 2018, 08:00:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

Broyles had been able to bring in Bill Self like he wanted to before John  White stuck his skinnya$$ nose in

HogFaninMemphis

What if we hadn't run off Lou Holtz? What if we had treated Eddie Sutton better and he had been convinced to stay? What if Bobby hadn't fallen off his Harley?
I think every school and even every program has questions like those above that are brutal to look back on.
Positive is that the program is in good shape, we're just not winning at a high level. That wasn't true for about 10 years. I am confident if the school moves on from MA in a couple of years, the next coach will have all the resources to make this an elite program. That being said, let's support our coach and hope these good recruits coming in gel really quickly.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

The_Iceman

Simple answer: we would be a Top 25 program annually and even with Kentucky as the best program in the conference. We would have had at least one Final Four since 2001.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2018, 08:39:48 am
Simple answer: we would be a Top 25 program annually and even with Kentucky as the best program in the conference. We would have had at least one Final Four since 2001.
very good chance of that, yes. We can't simply transfer his KU success to Arkansas, but he was a really good up-and-comer who wanted to come here. I think it would be similar to us rejecting Chris Beard two years ago had we been searching for a new coach.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

jbigs77

Frank Broyles was a great coach, a great AD and a great man. However, It had to be his way or the highway and he offended many. In the end, that started the downfall in football and basketball because he ran off the coaches. When Nolan and Kenny left, we lost the national ability to compete successfully for a long time. Our program is no where near what it was in the 60s, 70s 80s and early 90s in basketball.

HF#1

You cannot assume things would have been the same for Self here as they have been at Kansas. No doubt he would have succeeded but probably wouldn't have the level of success he has had at Kansas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jbigs77 on March 20, 2018, 08:43:21 am
Frank Broyles was a great coach, a great AD and a great man. However, It had to be his way or the highway and he offended many. In the end, that started the downfall in football and basketball because he ran off the coaches. When Nolan and Kenny left, we lost the national ability to compete successfully for a long time. Our program is no where near what it was in the 60s, 70s 80s and early 90s in basketball.

Another forum but Hatfield wasn't going to compete successfully nationally.  Nolan had stopped. 

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 09:29:02 am
You cannot assume things would have been the same for Self here as they have been at Kansas. No doubt he would have succeeded but probably wouldn't have the level of success he has had at Kansas.

I don't think anyone would assume that. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.