Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hunting each day I can

Started by Spikes, September 07, 2015, 10:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Got these pics last week( never mind the dates) some how I screwed that up.. Two good looking mature bucks... Got my bow ready and stands set up!!

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

95_alum

Spikes- How much sleep are you getting now that you know? You posted the "before" photos. Looking forward to the "after" photos. Have you given him a name?

Albert Einswine

Those definitely ain't spikes, Spikes. Are these Natural State deer?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

95_alum

Spikes

Quote from: 95_alum on September 07, 2015, 10:30:22 pm
Spikes- How much sleep are you getting now that you know? You posted the "before" photos. Looking forward to the "after" photos. Have you given him a name?

The one to the left we have named Tank, and the solo buck or one to the right has been named Zeus.

Checking trail cams every 7-10 days, will update as the year goes by and hope to show the finishing pic during bow season.

Spikes

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 07, 2015, 10:31:02 pm
Those definitely ain't spikes, Spikes. Are these Natural State deer?

They are true Arkansas deer.  Northeast Arkansas

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Spikes on September 07, 2015, 10:38:39 pm
They are true Arkansas deer.  Northeast Arkansas

Well, in that case they're Michigan and possibly Wisconsin genetic stock. Big genes in the NEA herd.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Spikes

Quote from: 95_alum on September 07, 2015, 10:35:54 pm
Strictly nocturnal?

As of last week they were nocturnal.  Hope as the acorn start dropping they will change up a little, but as my father always tells me" they don't get that big traveling during the day, but son if you don't get out there and put the time in you will never see them" 

Have had some luck hunting mature buck during mid day, just like big toms , deer figure out hunters, some weeks I will hunt morning/ afternoons, then the following week will hunt mid day to catch them moving .

Spikes

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 07, 2015, 10:40:01 pm
Well, in that case they're Michigan and possibly Wisconsin genetic stock. Big genes in the NEA herd.

You are 100% correct. We have have done a pretty good job of managing the heard, plenty of food sources for all four season, thickets and water.  We have a lot of 90-110 class bucks.  We have a strict rule of 8pt or more,outside the ears unless it is an older mature buck in his decline.  Only problem is the neighbor hunters don't care and shoot any and everything that moves. Its there land so they have the right to shoot what they want tho.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

Quote from: Spikes on September 07, 2015, 10:08:00 pm
Got these pics last week( never mind the dates) some how I screwed that up.. Two good looking mature bucks... Got my bow ready and stands set up!!

Hey, where is this?  I need to find a good place to hunt, and this looks like it might be it.  (LOL) Seriously, good luck.

rickm1976

Quote from: Spikes on September 07, 2015, 10:47:43 pm
As of last week they were nocturnal.  Hope as the acorn start dropping they will change up a little, but as my father always tells me" they don't get that big traveling during the day, but son if you don't get out there and put the time in you will never see them" 

Have had some luck hunting mature buck during mid day, just like big toms , deer figure out hunters, some weeks I will hunt morning/ afternoons, then the following week will hunt mid day to catch them moving .

Same here.  The past few years, I've seen more deer moving in the middle of the day and late in the evening than any other time.  I used to stress myself out trying to get out there before sunrise, but any more if it doesn't work out, I don't worry about it too much, and just hunt mid-day and sometimes late afternoons with what seems like better luck.

LSUFan

I'd take him walkin' in the moonlight.

And he can hold my hand.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

theFlyingHog

That second pic looks just like the buck I hit with my truck an hour ago. Got that shorter brow tine and all

lahawg1

Looks to be 4-1/2 yo old and good mature deer there. If I could offer any advice I would leave that spot alone until the proper scent gets in the air.......

Spikes

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 08, 2015, 09:11:34 pm
That second pic looks just like the buck I hit with my truck an hour ago. Got that shorter brow tine and all

Make sure you get him scored then!

Spikes

Quote from: lahawg1 on September 09, 2015, 08:12:01 am
Looks to be 4-1/2 yo old and good mature deer there. If I could offer any advice I would leave that spot alone until the proper scent gets in the air.......

That farm will only be hunted when the wind is out of the right direction.

Spikes

Howdy guys..  Still bow hunting pretty hard.  Missed a nice 10 pt 3rd week
Of the season.

Been a little down due to not seeing the big buck all season, nor on my trail cameras.  Until l checked them this afternoon, least i know he is still alive.  He sure has dropped some weigh over the last few months.  No day pics of him.. I hoping a young doe will come in heat the next few day and draw him out within my bow range. 

Hope everyone is having a great season and be safe in the woods.

Spikes

grayhawg

Quote from: Spikes on December 12, 2015, 08:26:04 pm
Howdy guys..  Still bow hunting pretty hard.  Missed a nice 10 pt 3rd week
Of the season.

Been a little down due to not seeing the big buck all season, nor on my trail cameras.  Until l checked them this afternoon, least i know he is still alive.  He sure has dropped some weigh over the last few months.  No day pics of him.. I hoping a young doe will come in heat the next few day and draw him out within my bow range. 

Hope everyone is having a great season and be safe in the woods.

Spikes

Good looking buck.

Virgil

Great looking deer. Good luck getting him.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

HogBreath

Quote from: Spikes on September 07, 2015, 10:08:00 pm

Lol..my buddy got me to help him set up his new camera, I thought I carefully got the date right, it's a pretty simple model just like one that I have.  We put it out, in about 10 days he got around 1600 pictures, including two real good bucks.  But somehow, someway..the dates started at January 1st, 2008!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Spikes

Got a 3 1-2 yr old 8 pt.  Not the big one, but it was nice to take a pretty buck. Lord bless me with a pretty deer.

DeltaBoy

Sounds like you had a good season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.