Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PC today with Bielema, Rhoads, and Mitchell

Started by ricepig, February 29, 2016, 12:29:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Let's be honest though. Kirkland did perform well at tackle.  We can say whatever we wish about if it was a good idea, but he held the spot down and did a good job. BA was protected and the run game kicked in pretty well too after the hiccups at the beginning.

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 01, 2016, 04:57:57 pm
Bielema said that had Kirkland returned for his senior season, he would have been moved back to offensive guard.

I want to go back and revisit all the spitting and cussing that went on here when some people questioned whether Kirkland would be good at left tackle. My conclusion is that Kirkland might have been the best available left tackle at the time, but he was not a good left tackle.

Spitting and cussing over that AND Wallace at LT. Some people were quite insistent that anybody projecting him there was wrong, nevermind that it was Wallace who filled in for Kirkland at LT during the season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 01, 2016, 04:57:57 pm
Bielema said that had Kirkland returned for his senior season, he would have been moved back to offensive guard.

I want to go back and revisit all the spitting and cussing that went on here when some people questioned whether Kirkland would be good at left tackle. My conclusion is that Kirkland might have been the best available left tackle at the time, but he was not a good left tackle.

If you remember, they said at the time he was "the best left tackle we had".  I agree with you that means we didn't really have a good option and he was simply the best among not great choices.

azhog10

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 01, 2016, 10:45:06 pm
If you remember, they said at the time he was "the best left tackle we had".  I agree with you that means we didn't really have a good option and he was simply the best among not great choices.
Not sure that speaks much on what we have now then. If a guy who will be our starting LT wasn't as good as a guy who was available and able to play but didn't. How is he improved in a way that he would now force a move back to a position he used to play. Something about that doesn't seem right.

bennyl08

March 01, 2016, 11:14:52 pm #54 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:18:38 pm by bennyl08
Quote from: azhog10 on March 01, 2016, 10:56:06 pm
Not sure that speaks much on what we have now then. If a guy who will be our starting LT wasn't as good as a guy who was available and able to play but didn't. How is he improved in a way that he would now force a move back to a position he used to play. Something about that doesn't seem right.

A thing called growth and development and experience? Why did Spaight not start his first year here? Knile Davis his freshmen season? Drew Morgan the previous two years? Players are dynamic and constantly changing. Chances are, we will see that Austin Allen is way way better at qb than AJ Derby was. Why then did Derby start at qb while Austin redshirted? Derby probably made fewer mistakes.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike_e

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2016, 11:14:52 pm
A thing called growth and development and experience? Why Spaight not start his first year here? Knile Davis his freshmen season? Drew Morgan the previous two years? Players are dynamic and constantly changing. Chances are, we will see that Austin Allen is way way better at qb than AJ Derby was. Why then did Derby start at qb while Austin redshirted? Derby probably made fewer mistakes.

Dang, it sounds as though you've actually had kids.

;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!