Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collins considered for first round

Started by Hogberry Snortcake, February 24, 2016, 09:58:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogberry Snortcake

Its just SDS, but good for AC if scouts consider him worthy of the conversations:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/alex-collins-first-round-discussion/

SIAP.  Didn't see it on the front page. 

jgphillips3

Personally, I think AC has the capability to be the best pro back in this years draft.  He is cat quick and rarely gets hit cleanly.  In the pros, no one expects you to break 80 yard runs and he will be excellent at getting 3-6 yards, pass protection and staying healthy.

jjdlc

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 24, 2016, 10:14:52 am
Personally, I think AC has the capability to be the best pro back in this years draft.  He is cat quick and rarely gets hit cleanly.  In the pros, no one expects you to break 80 yard runs and he will be excellent at getting 3-6 yards, pass protection and staying healthy.

This is my exact feeling.  However, I would still be very surprised if he goes first round, RBs just don't get selected that high anymore.

Acer4

No way Collins goes first round.  Especially after they see that 40 time.......

Love those Hogs

I predict a 4.6 forty for Alex.  Not a blazer but plenty fast to get 3-5 yds a pop.  He is very quick and has outstanding vision.
Hogs 4 Life!

bhogs05

10 years ago he'd be a 1st rounder but now the NFL just doesn't go for RBs in the first round unless they are just freakishly good..I think he'll go in the 2nd-3rd round and has the potential to be in the league for a long time. 

RME

Quote from: bhogs05 on February 24, 2016, 10:52:03 am
10 years ago he'd be a 1st rounder but now the NFL just doesn't go for RBs in the first round unless they are just freakishly good..I think he'll go in the 2nd-3rd round and has the potential to be in the league for a long time.

I agree.

Quote from: Acer4 on February 24, 2016, 10:42:16 am
No way Collins goes first round.  Especially after they see that 40 time.......

Running a 4.55-4.6 wouldn't be bad for Collins at all. Looking back at previous combines, many RBs who are doing very well in the league today didn't run much better than a 4.53 or so. Of course there are exceptions, but guys like Dion Lewis, Doug Martin, Gio Bernard, CJ Anderson, Javorius Allen, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah, and Matt Jones all ran 4.53 or worse. I think Alex's 40 time can only help him, not really hurt him.

Cure

It's not a stretch, he's been the best back in the SEC in terms of being a complete back. He just needed to be used more in the passing game, though I believe that was due to protection concerns and the playaction game.

Collins is a cut above the rest because of how he performs in the phone booth.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Acer4

I think he will run 4.65 but would not be shocked to see 4.7

Acer4

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Tejano Jawg

What might make him a first rounder is a team that is solid everywhere, but feels they're weak at running back. It's happened before, where the good RB was the missing piece. Don't know who that is, I haven't looked at the draft order in awhile.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Acer4

Quote from: Cure on February 24, 2016, 12:26:42 pm
I'm going with sub 4.8
LOL OK.  Would you like to make a bet on that?  No way he breaks 4.8 unless he shows up less than 250 pds

Acer4

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 24, 2016, 12:30:06 pm
What might make him a first rounder is a team that is solid everywhere, but feels they're weak at running back. It's happened before, where the good RB was the missing piece. Don't know who that is, I haven't looked at the draft order in awhile.
I cant see an NFL team taking a RB first round and they know he has no prayer to EVER have a run over 50 yards.  I like Collins in the NFL though

WooPig90

Quote from: Acer4 on February 24, 2016, 12:32:44 pm
LOL OK.  Would you like to make a bet on that?  No way he breaks 4.8 unless he shows up less than 250 pds

Why is it every thread you come to $hit on every player? Get a life

younghog

I C Alex easily going in the 1st Round..

Just Love it

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Acer4

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 24, 2016, 12:34:01 pm
Why is it every thread you come to $hit on every player? Get a life
I bring common sense.  Get a clue

Acer4

Quote from: younghog on February 24, 2016, 12:34:30 pm
I C Alex easily going in the 1st Round..

Just Love it

GO HOGS
LOL are you for real?  I hope he does but wow

RME

Pigsknuckles

AC will be a reliable back who won't make a lot of noise, but will move the chains.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Acer4

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on February 24, 2016, 01:39:34 pm
AC will be a reliable back who won't make a lot of noise, but will move the chains.
I agree

HogInFlorida

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 24, 2016, 10:14:52 am

I think he will be better than Henry and Dixon, but Elliott is the best RB to go to the NFL in years. Elliott is the perfect every down back.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Acer4

I think Henry will be a bust like Trent Richardson.  Neither have good hips. 

gmarv

AC is the man I hope he does in the pros what he did at UofA.he,ll always be one of my favorite hogs.i can,t hope for enough good things for him.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OldCoot

Quote from: jjdlc on February 24, 2016, 10:27:17 am
This is my exact feeling.  However, I would still be very surprised if he goes first round, RBs just don't get selected that high anymore.

While I agree, what is the reason they don't?

Professor Psychosis

bennyl08

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 24, 2016, 12:30:06 pm

First rounders aren't solid everywhere but great everywhere. To be a first round rb, you need to be great vision, balance, speed, power, durability, and not fumble the ball.

Collins has great durability, vision, and balance. He has very good speed and power. He has some work to do with fumbling.

Elliot will likely be a first round pick unless he bombs at the combine. Henry will probably be the second pick, but I could see Collins going second. Henry is the exciting size/strength/speed combo back while Collins is the dependable back but currently doesn't excite a whole lot of people with potential. However, if Henry shows shades of Richardson and Collins shows that he is more athletic than given credit for, Collins becomes a lot more attractive to teams. Plus, there are other running backs out there.

However, first round running backs there generally isn't much question that they are first round. Gurley was going to be a first rounder after his freshmen year. Collins IMO will be a 2-3 rounder unless he runs a 4.6 or less and falls to the 4-5th rb on people's radar. I think Collins runs in the 4.55 range. What I'm most curious to see is how strong is Collins actually? What does he do on the bench and the broad jump? I think Collins will be top 3 in the 3-cone drill.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 24, 2016, 10:57:00 am
I agree.

Running a 4.55-4.6 wouldn't be bad for Collins at all. Looking back at previous combines, many RBs who are doing very well in the league today didn't run much better than a 4.53 or so. Of course there are exceptions, but guys like Dion Lewis, Doug Martin, Gio Bernard, CJ Anderson, Javorius Allen, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah, and Matt Jones all ran 4.53 or worse. I think Alex's 40 time can only help him, not really hurt him.

Vision and anticipation are also very key beyond the normal measurables.
Emmit had those in spades.
I think most would agree that he had an above average career.   :)

Didn't he run a 4.65 - 4.7 or so?
Speed is great, but a chain mover is more dependable.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Acer4 on February 24, 2016, 02:32:23 pm

I'm reluctant to even comment on this post, but...

Comparing a tight end with great hands to a running back cannot be a "like" bust.  Sorry.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 25, 2016, 08:50:08 am

Comparing a tight end with great hands to a running back cannot be a "like" bust.  Sorry.

Pretty sure he's talking about Derrick Henry!

Muleriderhog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 25, 2016, 08:50:08 am

He was probably talking about Derrick Henry.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Acer4 on February 24, 2016, 02:32:23 pm
Life is hard for you, isn't it?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

a0ashle

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on February 25, 2016, 12:10:29 am
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19031/denver-broncos-will-focus-on-offensive-linemen-at-the-combine

Quick story that mentions the Broncos may be looking at AC, which I would love as a fan of theirs.

Broncos and Packers are my selfish hopes... I think Broncos more likely, given that the Packers most likely will be looking for pass catching back if Starks leaves in FA. (This is not saying I think AC can't be a receiver, but that I think NFL teams likely think that is an unknown for him, and therefore a risk if you are looking for a receiving back)

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 25, 2016, 09:11:26 am
Pretty sure he's talking about Derrick Henry!
Quote from: Muleriderhog on February 25, 2016, 09:13:45 am
He was probably talking about Derrick Henry.

Makes more sense...my bad for thinking we might talk about Hogs on a Razorback message board!!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

threeNout

Marshall Faulk-ish.

AC could be that rare back that can have a 10 year career.

I think his receiving out of the backfield is going to check out more than OK.