Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Iowa State CFB HC Paul Rhoads is now a Hogs coach

Started by Doug, February 24, 2016, 09:32:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hview

How does our Head Coach this? This is a great hire!

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Hawgzinbowlz

This hire is close to stunning.

I'll enjoy his time here.

" GO HOGS "

Squealers

Our coaching bench strength is exceptional.  We can now plug and play at OC/DC, not to mention Asst. Head Coach should we see someone else leave.  Then its backfilling with more exceptional talent!

A great succession plan!
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

SamBuckhart

Wanted CBB to hurry and hire someone. This was well worth the wait. Welcome, Coach Rhoads. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SamBuckhart on February 24, 2016, 10:20:12 pm
Wanted CBB to hurry and hire someone. This was well worth the wait. Welcome, Coach Rhoads. Wooo Pig!
Really nice thing about this particular situation was that it didn't take that long to come up with a monster hire.

STLhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 10:48:28 pm
Really nice thing about this particular situation was that it didn't take that long to come up with a monster hire.
Which makes me wonder, did CJ really start this or did BB?

sickboy

Quote from: STLhawgg on February 25, 2016, 12:44:43 am
Which makes me wonder, did CJ really start this or did BB?

I think there are whisperings that we didn't jump at trying to convince CJ to stay... soooooooooo. There's that.

LZH

As much as I like Robb Smith, anyone else think his sphincter puckered just a bit when he found out about this hire?   :)

#mydefensebetterkickassthisyear
#lookingovermyshoulder

Relax young ones, it's a joke.
Mostly.

Steef

Quote from: LZH on February 25, 2016, 04:04:37 am
As much as I like Robb Smith, anyone else think his sphincter puckered just a bit when he found out about this hire?   :)

#lookingovermyshoulder

Mostly.

My first thought was "Robb has been getting HCing offers and this is his replacement when he goes".

The Kig

Quote from: HamShank on February 24, 2016, 09:57:25 am
Coach B came here assuming he could fix what he considered to be his biggest problem at Wisconsin, losing coaches every year. Despite Long's willingness to match salaries, the problem has only gotten worse. I can only assume Bielema's only "plan" at this point is to get the best possible coach available and hope they buy in and want to be here for a long time. The rest is beyond his control.

Seems like the main difference is the root of the issue.  At Whisky the issue was simple finance where his staff was always at risk of departure for both lateral/promotional moves and couldn't get guys like Enos/Rhoads to take (on paper because I contend Enos is more visible in the SEC than HC of Directional U) lesser roles in title. 

Until CBB cements his legacy at ARKANSAS (and not as former Wisconsin coach) and establishes us as a top tier SEC contender, his coaching hires will likely be upwardly mobile.   Only then will we stem the occasional lateral flow to schools like Georgia, Texas and Oio St and be able to groom talent from GAs over time.  What has been unequivocally impressive so far has been the breadth of his network and ability to sell his vision to get quality experience to come. The reality of assistant/position/coordinator coaching today, especially for A players, is that they are looking for advancement.  If there is a clear path where they are, then they may stay...If it is elsewhere, then they go.  They have to move while their individual brand is hot because they are always at risk.  If things go south either the HC has sacrificial lambs or there is wholesale change in staffs. 

The finance difference at Arkansas hasnt made the issue of change go away, but it has nourished his coaching tree. We are seeing branches, strong ones, that we didn't know existed and he is building his future legacy when they move on to bigger jobs.  Great hire and part of a pattern. 

WPS
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 24, 2016, 01:56:52 pm
Aren't most of the position coaches on a 1 year contract?

I think this is pretty standard in college and pros.
Poker Porker

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The Kig on February 25, 2016, 08:40:26 am
Seems like the main difference is the root of the issue.  At Whisky the issue was simple finance where his staff was always at risk of departure for both lateral/promotional moves and couldn't get guys like Enos/Rhoads to take (on paper because I contend Enos is more visible in the SEC than HC of Directional U) lesser roles in title. 

Until CBB cements his legacy at ARKANSAS (and not as former Wisconsin coach) and establishes us as a top tier SEC contender, his coaching hires will likely be upwardly mobile.   Only then will we stem the occasional lateral flow to schools like Georgia, Texas and Oio St and be able to groom talent from GAs over time.  What has been unequivocally impressive so far has been the breadth of his network and ability to sell his vision to get quality experience to come. The reality of assistant/position/coordinator coaching today, especially for A players, is that they are looking for advancement.  If there is a clear path where they are, then they may stay...If it is elsewhere, then they go.  They have to move while their individual brand is hot because they are always at risk.  If things go south either the HC has sacrificial lambs or there is wholesale change in staffs. 

The finance difference at Arkansas hasnt made the issue of change go away, but it has nourished his coaching tree. We are seeing branches, strong ones, that we didn't know existed and he is building his future legacy when they move on to bigger jobs.  Great hire and part of a pattern. 

WPS
I think you made some very good points in this post. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: trphog on February 24, 2016, 02:23:28 pm
#uncommon

Not sure if I'm just being emotional this morning or what, but that video brought tears to my eyes. I think we've got us a winner, folks.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: The Kig on February 25, 2016, 08:40:26 am

WPS

Its getting old hearing people say that moving to a top 10 school to coach the same position is a lateral move.

That's like saying moving from the manager at Burger King to manager at Chile's is a lateral move.

We aren't BK, but we sure as hell aren't in the same league as OSU, Georgia, Texas, Bama, etc. You cannot blame an assistant for going to a program with tons of history, larger fanbases, and easier recruiting.

goodguytex

This is an amazing hire. Can't wait to see the improvement in our defensive recruiting and coaching. I wonder with Pittman being gone if Bieliema is going to make him assistant HC like Pittman was.

LZH

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 25, 2016, 10:31:37 am
Its getting old hearing people say that moving to a top 10 school to coach the same position is a lateral move.

That's like saying moving from the manager at Burger King to manager at Chile's is a lateral move.

We aren't BK, but we sure as hell aren't in the same league as OSU, Georgia, Texas, Bama, etc. You cannot blame an assistant for going to a program with tons of history, larger fanbases, and easier recruiting.

Especially when the team's overall success, as well as the success of the unit that you are coaching, is going to determine how you make your living from here on out. A few good years at a top 10 school can mean millions of dollars by the time your career is over with. If you're a coordinator at a school like Arkansas, and you have the chance to move into the coordinator position at Alabama or Ohio State, you would damn near be foolish not to take it.

Of course it depends on who the head coach is as well as other factors, but a really good three year run could propel you into a multimillion-dollar head coaching gig. Staying at Arkansas would be great, but if things turned south for a year or two you would be out and back to the mid majors. That's just how it is. You've got to strike while the iron is hot, and if you don't put yourself in a position for the iron to be hot in the first place you'll never get that chance.

When you have 18 year old kids determining your living and your future, you could be the best coach in the country or the most mediocre and still wind up in the same place if you don't take advantage of the opportunities.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: LZH on February 25, 2016, 10:49:29 am
Especially when the team's overall success, as well as the success of the unit that you are coaching, is going to determine how you make your living from here on out. A few good years at a top 10 school can mean millions of dollars by the time your career is over with. If you're a coordinator at a school like Arkansas, and you have the chance to move into the coordinator position at Alabama or Ohio State, you would damn near be foolish not to take it.

Of course it depends on who the head coach is as well as other factors, but a really good three year run could propel you into a multimillion-dollar head coaching gig. Staying at Arkansas would be great, but if things turned south for a year or two you would be out and back to the mid majors. That's just how it is. You've got to strike while the iron is hot, and if you don't put yourself in a position for the iron to be hot in the first place you'll never get that chance.

When you have 18 year old kids determining your living and your future, you could be the best coach in the country or the most mediocre and still wind up in the same place if you don't take advantage of the opportunities.

Excellent post. Kinda puts a new perspective on losing position coaches, doesn't it?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Mike_e

Quote from: goodguytex on February 25, 2016, 10:38:01 am
This is an amazing hire. Can't wait to see the improvement in our defensive recruiting and coaching. I wonder with Pittman being gone if Bieliema is going to make him assistant HC like Pittman was.

It seems likely that CBB will keep that in his back pocket.

The question of money had to have come up and with CPR getting $750,000.  a year plus the $300,000. bonas already he's not hurting.  He having been a HC understands the need to attract great talent, both in players and coaching, and as the success of the program is just as important to him as anyone else should make him agreeable to not having that title just now.

I can't know CPR's mind but getting let go from a position is a kick to Anyone's ego.  Getting back in the game and rebuilding your self image by getting the basics in order seems to be something he'd do.

Having been the top guy may still be his goal but that desire may have been fulfilled and if so he may be here for a long time.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

The Kig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 25, 2016, 10:31:37 am

Guess you're waxing philosophical about that generalization.   Because if you read my post, I prefaced the GA,  TX, OSU comment with what had to happen to change that.  I get that we aren't there yet... Which I why I made the distinction.   
Poker Porker

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The Kig on February 25, 2016, 04:09:10 pm
Guess you're waxing philosophical about that generalization.   Because if you read my post, I prefaced the GA,  TX, OSU comment with what had to happen to change that.  I get that we aren't there yet... Which I why I made the distinction.
"Waxing philosophical"? Man, no wonder I love being on HV! The longer I stay the more "uppity" I can become by debating and arguing with my friends who graduated from UALR, UAM, SAU, UCA, ATU, HSU, OBU, Hendrix, Harding and of course......ASU. Thanks, Hogville!! :)

lasthog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 25, 2016, 05:22:41 pm
"Waxing philosophical"? Man, no wonder I love being on HV! The longer I stay the more "uppity" I can become by debating and arguing with my friends who graduated from UALR, UAM, SAU, UCA, ATU, HSU, OBU, Hendrix, Harding and of course......ASU. Thanks, Hogville!! :)

I am suddenly reminded of an old story.

The story goes that the country boy was seeking the library at Aggie land, and came upon a professor whom he thought might give him directions.

"Where's the liberry at" said country boy to the professor, but the professor chose to scold him rather than give him the directions he sought.

"Young man, this is Texas A&M University, and at this institution we do not end sentences with a preposition."

Duly chastened, country boy attempted to correct his poor grammar and inquired "Where's the liberry at a$$hole?"

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: LZH on February 25, 2016, 04:04:37 am

#lookingovermyshoulder

Mostly.

I would bet that Robb Smith had some input on this hire.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Birminghog

I asked my Iowa State alum colleague today about Paul Rhoads. My guy is an avid ISU and Auburn fan (his daughter went to Auburn). He loves the guy and spoke of how strong he was as a DC. I asked him, "So is it a good hire?" He told me it was "great for you guys." Couldn't say enough good things about him and is sorry that we got him.

Love it.

factchecker

Cool video of Coach Rhodes at coaching clinic:

QuotePaul Rhoads gives you the insight that has turned Iowa State into a highly respectable defensive school in the Big 12 conference. Coach Rhoads goes into great detail as he discusses The Five Phases of a Play.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgmasta

Goodness what a phenomenal hire! I mean seriously my mind is a little blown. Anybody that worries about recruiting all he has to do is tell them he coached the NFL's greatest corner and was a former head coach; that's more than enough to get their attention.

Kudos to CBB once again!

ChitownHawg

What bothers me about ISU is that Rhoads came in and turn them into a winner. He pulled in quality recruits they had never seen before. ISU was an FBS cellar dweller before Rhoads.

Were they going to win a championship with Rhoads? No. After all it is ISU and Rhoads isn't a miracle worker.

The AD said Rhoads had to go because he wasn't maximizing the wins even though the talent is at an all time high. Just like Arkansas this AD is about to find out if his new coach can maintain the high recruiting to a school that isn't known for it. Even in the state it all about the Hawkeyes. Akin to us and ASU.

AD may have gotten a little over the top of his skis on this one.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 26, 2016, 06:44:47 am
What bothers me about ISU is that Rhoads came in and turn them into a winner. He pulled in quality recruits they had never seen before. ISU was an FBS cellar dweller before Rhoads.

Were they going to win a championship with Rhoads? No. After all it is ISU and Rhoads isn't a miracle worker.

The AD said Rhoads had to go because he wasn't maximizing the wins even though the talent is at an all time high. Just like Arkansas this AD is about to find out if his new coach can maintain the high recruiting to a school that isn't known for it. Even in the state it all about the Hawkeyes. Akin to us and ASU.

AD may have gotten a little over the top of his skis on this one.

I would agree. Over the last 37 years (since 1978) Iowa State has won 6 or more games only 11 times. One of those times it was 9 games, the rest of the time it was 7 wins (5 times) or 6 wins (5 times). So about 30% of the time they exceeded 6 wins in a season. Iowa State has just about become a basketball school first, football second. And then when you figure that you have to compete with Iowa for in-state recruits and then you are surrounded by Big Ten states and an SEC state, I'd say that you have your hands full in trying to make anything at all out of the football program.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig In The City

The_Hog_Father

Here is some info from someone (not me) who was at the White County Razorback Club meeting with CBB:

To paraphrase this information:

CBB had 32 names of DB coaching candidates.

He was narrowing that list down dramatically over a few days then Rhodes called and said he was interested in the job.

Paul met with defensive staff and it seemed like a great fit once they met him and started talking... It was obvious that CPR was the man.

There was also tons of great information from this man's post elsewhere... Like how LSU came after Coach Smith hard (not CRS) and Arkansas bumped him to $400K though LSU countered with $450K.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on February 26, 2016, 09:42:10 am
Here is some info from someone who was at the White County Razorback Club meeting with CBB:

To paraphrase this information:

CBB had 32 names of DB coaching candidates.

He was narrowing that list down dramatically over a few days then Rhodes called and said he was interested in the job.

Paul met with defensive staff and it seemed like a great fit once they met him and started talking... It was obvious that CPR was the man.
Was Rhoads one of the 32 on his list?  Not that it matters.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 26, 2016, 09:45:05 am
Was Rhoads one of the 32 on his list?  Not that it matters.

It wasn't mentioned but I highly doubt it. He is overwhelming overqualified for the position but it seems to me that CBB is building something that other Coaches want to be a part of and CPR with his payouts and conditions of those payouts fit perfectly with our needs.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on February 26, 2016, 09:53:53 am
It wasn't mentioned but I highly doubt it. He is overwhelming overqualified for the position but it seems to me that CBB is building something that other Coaches want to be a part of and CPR with his payouts and conditions of those payouts fit perfectly with our needs.
The harder he works, the luckier he gets...   :razorback:

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 26, 2016, 10:06:57 am
The harder he works, the luckier he gets...   :razorback:
Yeah, interesting how that seems to happen quite often out there in the cold, cruel world.  ;D 

Philip Seaton

factchecker

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on February 26, 2016, 09:42:10 am

Rhodes called and said he was interested in the job.

That really, really pushes this hire over the top.... for multiple reasons.

First, the fact that Coach Rhoads wanted to get back out in the field instead of taking a year to vacation while collecting his buyout is impressive.

Second,  you know that he could have taken a DC or HC job at a lower level (FCS, DII).  John L Smith (not comparing) got a head coaching job after the 2012 debacle!  He instead recognized the importance of staying relevant.  As much as we hate losing assistants.... the rub is that coaching under Bielema will get you noticed and in position for high profile jobs.

Finally, the fact that he called us.  I don't think anyone, even Coach Bielema, would imagine that a coach of Rhoads caliber would entertain a position job.  The fact that he was humble enough to not only take the job but to actually call an inquire about the job is impressive as hell!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

I believe his willingness to take a position coach job is likely so he can get his money from ISU. 

swinesation

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on February 26, 2016, 09:53:53 am

Has it been stated what the conditions of his payouts are? Seems like I've heard of cases where the contract states that the buyout is reduced the amount of a coaches new salary. If that's the case, it wouldn't really matter what he is paid. $750K - $300K = $450K buyout payment, or $750K - $700K = $50K buyout payment. Not saying that's what Rhoads has in his contract, but I think I've heard it sometimes works that way.

ricepig

Quote from: swinesation on February 26, 2016, 11:01:07 pm
Has it been stated what the conditions of his payouts are? Seems like I've heard of cases where the contract states that the buyout is reduced the amount of a coaches new salary. If that's the case, it wouldn't really matter what he is paid. $750K - $300K = $450K buyout payment, or $750K - $700K = $50K buyout payment. Not saying that's what Rhoads has in his contract, but I think I've heard it sometimes works that way.

Almost in every case that's the way it works, some of them even have in them that you have to try to be gainfully employed.