Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Iowa State CFB HC Paul Rhoads is now a Hogs coach

Started by Doug, February 24, 2016, 09:32:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

LZH

I gotta hand it to big boy, that is one hell of a hire.

southarkhog06

The NewEra

Now we get to see just how good our DB's currently on campus really are.  I suspect they have a lot more potential than we have witnessed recently.  I love this hire.

Redbug

Quote from: idochog on February 24, 2016, 09:46:08 am
This is not your typical Hootie staff thats for sure.

This is the kind of staff JFB used to bring in here

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RazorPiggie

FraggleHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 24, 2016, 01:56:52 pm
Aren't most of the position coaches on a 1 year contract?

Yes... at least for Arkansas. His contract is structured like Reggie Mitchell's and CKA's as well.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

PorkRinds

I think new hires always get a one year contract.  Then if it doesn't work out they can find a new job without being "fired".  If it works out, they get signed to a better deal.

PorkSoda

ahh, for some reason I was thinking we typically had 2 year contracts for assistants.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

edemire

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 24, 2016, 12:44:09 pm
If you can recruit to Iowa State from FL, CA, and TX you sure as hell can recruit to UA. He has had to be a great talent evaluator to get to bowl games with the Cyclones.

Seems like a solid hire to me.

Agreed. Don't underestimate how much it will matter to recruits that he mentored the NFL's richest cornerback, in the same way Bielema's ties to Watt and Wilson have paid off in d-line/QB recruiting/transfer signing.

"When it comes to recruiting the nation's best cornerbacks, the University of Arkansas doesn't have a great NFL pedigree to lean on. The program has produced solid NFL corners in the likes of Chris Houston and David Barrett, and a first-round pick in Ahmad Carroll, but it has yet to produce a major star at this position in the pros. In the last eight years especially, the program has had a hard time keeping up with SEC rivals when it comes to talent here.

Expect a change soon..."

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/paul-rhoads-darrelle-revis-mentor-will-be-arkansas-new-defensive-backs-coach/

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 24, 2016, 02:11:06 pm
ahh, for some reason I was thinking we typically had 2 year contracts for assistants.

Nope, a few have had them, Jennings had one, I'm sure Pittman's was multi-year.

Paul

tophawg19

a fantastic hire , but i'm afraid he is a one and done unless Smith leaves . He is just too good to be a DB coach . He will be snatched up quickly. I Really thought he was going to be a SEC D.C this season . I wish they had started him at 400.000 at least.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 24, 2016, 02:36:39 pm
a fantastic hire , but i'm afraid he is a one and done unless Smith leaves . He is just too good to be a DB coach . He will be snatched up quickly. I Really thought he was going to be a SEC D.C this season . I wish they had started him at 400.000 at least.

Why?? Then you have to raise the others. It was obviously a number he was happy with, or agreed to, and you can always up it when it warrants it.

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2016, 02:39:26 pm
Why?? Then you have to raise the others. It was obviously a number he was happy with, or agreed to, and you can always up it when it warrants it.

Because it is Hogville and we like to spend other peoples money when it isn't required.

I'm like you....only spend what is required.  If it would have taken $500,000 to get him then fine but why spend that if we only need to spend $350,000.

Vantage 8 dude

Well even if we only get one or two great years out of Rhoads this is still one heck of a hire! I mean I'd prefer that then to have CBB hire someone who is mediocre and willing to spend his whole life just getting by with just enough to be a well paid assistant. I'll pose this question once again: name any assistant that would have realistically been a better hire (and available of course).

BTW if PR hadn't been happy with the salary that CBB and the U of A offered him do you honestly think he would have gone ahead and accepted? Come on.....this is ludicrous!!

PorkRinds

I have to LOL when people post crap like this.  I mean, come on.  You've got zero clue about what went on behind the scenes with this hire, what Rhoads wants to do with his career at this point, or how much money he should be making.  Yet here you are, on a day when we should all be impressed and happy about the hire, whining about him not getting enough money and that he will be gone in a year.  Makes no sense.

ChitownHawg

February 24, 2016, 03:11:40 pm #171 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:51:34 pm by ChitownHawg
Quote from: factchecker on February 24, 2016, 10:31:58 am

Dang that could have been CBB's video. The personality similarities are strong.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

JackJohnson

from a pure coaching standpoint based on resume- this is on par with getting Shannon as the LB's coach and one of the best on paper hires he has made hands down.

Now if we could somehow find a taker (or just flat out fire but we know that isn't CBB's style) for deadweight recruiter/coach Hargreaves and bring in a young ace recruiter to bring in some defensive talent we will be hell on wheels.  My concern is we have so many weak recruiters on the defensive side of the ball- which is also the place we have historically had the most trouble recruiting.  Segrest, Hargreaves and Smith (granted he is the DC) are very average recruiters and are a far cry from what we have on the offensive side.  Jennings was by far our best recruiter on that side.

I know Rhoads is known to have a rep of a recruiter, but as a DC and HC for the past 15+ years the day to day recruiting that an assistant does is going to be a major change from what he has been doing.  Hopefully he picks it back up quickly though.

And before someone jumps on me about not being happy- I am ECSTATIC.  I just wish we would now find a way to upgrade from Segrest and especially Hargreaves as nothing they did this past year in coaching and especially recruiting is deserving of A- their salary or B- a place on a staff in the SEC West

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 24, 2016, 03:14:56 pm
from a pure coaching standpoint based on resume- this is on par with getting Shannon as the LB's coach and one of the best on paper hires he has made hands down.

Now if we could somehow find a taker (or just flat out fire but we know that isn't CBB's style) for deadweight recruiter/coach Hargreaves and bring in a young ace recruiter to bring in some defensive talent we will be hell on wheels.  My concern is we have so many weak recruiters on the defensive side of the ball- which is also the place we have historically had the most trouble recruiting.  Segrest, Hargreaves and Smith (granted he is the DC) are very average recruiters and are a far cry from what we have on the offensive side.  Jennings was by far our best recruiter on that side.

I know Rhoads is known to have a rep of a recruiter, but as a DC and HC for the past 15+ years the day to day recruiting that an assistant does is going to be a major change from what he has been doing.  Hopefully he picks it back up quickly though.

And before someone jumps on me about not being happy- I am ECSTATIC.  I just wish we would now find a way to upgrade from Segrest and especially Hargreaves as nothing they did this past year in coaching and especially recruiting is deserving of A- their salary or B- a place on a staff in the SEC West

I saw a quote from a defensive recruit this season who cited Smith as the reason he was interested in Arkansas.  Said Robb Smith was the best recruiter he'd been around.  So take that for what it's worth.  I don't think our defensive recruiters are as bad as you think they are.  We signed some really good defensive prospects this last cycle.

Paul

I'm pleased with the LB's & the D linemen we signed.  If anything, I think we missed out on our 4-5 star DB recruits so maybe we should get rid of Jennings...Oh Wait!

JIHawg

tophawg19

you pay EXTRA when you get a coach like this on board . Set the bar high from the start so you're not fighting off lesser schools . y'all do realize we are in the SEC RIGHT ? iF YOU ARE GOING TO BEAT THE bAMA'S OF THE WORLD YOU HAVE TO MATCH THEM IN SPENDING . And don't give me that B.S about us not having the money either . We are one of the lower paying in the west. You won't touch Saban on the field or in recruiting till you get serious about Coaches salaries . Hire the best and spend to keep them. The money difference between A major bowl and the Liberty more than makes up for it . We can hire Top coaches , but unless you start matching the big schools you aren't going to keep them. And until you are able to keep them, recruiting will suffer from losing the good ones . y'all still have a HDN mentality of go cheapest you can and wonder why it doesn't work out

Hoggish1

Quote from: atekido on February 24, 2016, 10:26:14 am
This issue is not getting good staff we have been doing that.  It is keeping the staff and keeping some sort of continuity for at least 2-3 years

As you very well should know, getting good staff is the first goal.  Keeping them is hard because they are good. 

So, relax.  Two or three years is all that's expected and that would be plenty enough...

tophawg19

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 03:01:58 pm
I have to LOL when people post crap like this.  I mean, come on.  You've got zero clue about what went on behind the scenes with this hire, what Rhoads wants to do with his career at this point, or how much money he should be making.  Yet here you are, on a day when we should all be impressed and happy about the hire, whining about him not getting enough money and that he will be gone in a year.  Makes no sense.
i'm Thrilled with the hire , if you'd learn to read . I also realize this type hire deserves Bama type money to keep them and the reason i think we only have him for a year is I expect him to be a D.C if not a Head coach again .

Hoggish1

PonderinHog

Hoggish1

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 24, 2016, 03:33:12 pm
you pay EXTRA when you get a coach like this on board . Set the bar high from the start so you're not fighting off lesser schools . y'all do realize we are in the SEC RIGHT ? iF YOU ARE GOING TO BEAT THE bAMA'S OF THE WORLD YOU HAVE TO MATCH THEM IN SPENDING . And don't give me that B.S about us not having the money either . We are one of the lower paying in the west. You won't touch Saban on the field or in recruiting till you get serious about Coaches salaries . Hire the best and spend to keep them. The money difference between A major bowl and the Liberty more than makes up for it . We can hire Top coaches , but unless you start matching the big schools you aren't going to keep them. And until you are able to keep them, recruiting will suffer from losing the good ones . y'all still have a HDN mentality of go cheapest you can and wonder why it doesn't work out

Lol, you love to spend someone else's money, we don't have Bama/Auburn/LSU/aTm type money, you want to know why??? I can give around 30,000 reasons, as in the number of seats they sell per home game more than we do. It's simple, our budget isn't as big as theirs, but don't let the get in your way.

OldCoot

Quote from: idochog on February 24, 2016, 09:34:52 am
Naysayers in 3-2-1

This was a really big hire.  Don't know how BB is going to compete with another mouth though.  He is doing really good at getting great coordinators who decided they are better coordinators than HC's.  Smart move.

SC Hogman

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Marshfieldhog

Great Hire!!! Love a coach that doesn't just hire his "buddies" like Nutt, Anderson, and even CBP. Get the best you can get and get after it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 24, 2016, 05:00:30 pm
Great Hire!!! Love a coach that doesn't just hire his "buddies" like Nutt, Anderson, and even CBP. Get the best you can get and get after it.
I agree. However, I have a strong hunch that with his demeanor and value system CBB has a LOT of friends in the coaching profession. While he's tangled with some in the past, it doesn't mean that he still can't be admired and respected by his peers. IF you do your best to live and coach in the manner you publicly advocate then respect will come natural. Easy to talk a good game when it comes to how you play and coach the game, as well as how you teach living your life. However, it's often so much more difficult to follow through, especially when others aren't looking. Seems some folks including a HC or two, at least based on what's being reported/said in the media of late, have forgotten that very salient point.

Doug

Quote from: Surfing8All you have to do is watch some ISU basketball games to realize they have some pretty sports-savvy fans... they've definitely jumped on the map in both football and basketball the last 5 years or so.
A decent amount of my Twitter followers are hardcore ISU fans... and some of the nicest people around. They certainly don't have that Big 12 ego (for any sport). They just keep their heads down, and grind it out. Definitely a *very* respectable fan base.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: idochog on February 24, 2016, 09:34:52 am
Naysayers in 3-2-1

Great hire! Even people that tend to look at the negative side of things can be happy with this.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Tarheelhawg

Love this Coach!  He is passionate about the game and clearly knows defense.  I admit that I watched his post game speech against Nebraska more than once or twice. 

Boardon Hamsay

Wow. Never thought I'd get a raging full chub off a position coach hire but this is a chub worthy hire.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

OK, so what's your point?

Ironhawg