Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Iowa State CFB HC Paul Rhoads is now a Hogs coach

Started by Doug, February 24, 2016, 09:32:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

I can dig it.  Get to work Mr. Rhoads.  We need some stud DB's.

cmrhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 11:05:14 am
Second tier?! I assume you're referring to the Hogs  ??? :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

I believe he is referring to others saying we are a 2nd tier program. He is making the case that we are not 2nd tier, because a 2nd tier program would not be able to pull coaches like this for position roles.

Justifiable Hogicide

Wow! WooPig Coach B! :razorback:
And welcome Coach Rhoads.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: cmrhawg on February 24, 2016, 11:08:31 am
I believe he is referring to others saying we are a 2nd tier program. He is making the case that we are not 2nd tier, because a 2nd tier program would not be able to pull coaches like this for position roles.
Well if that indeed is his intent then I'll offer my apologies before hand.

hoghiker

Great hire. The days of having a stable staff year after year are over in my opinion. Too much money being pumped into the system. Some things gotta give and that something is stability. The coaching profession has been a  mobile profession historically and the new money just amps up the volume.

longtimeHogfan

These quality coaching hires come at 'ya so fast it jus' messes you up. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 24, 2016, 11:13:44 am
These quality coaching hires come at 'ya so fast it jus' messes you up.
Well Hooter, those great coaching hires were never something you had to worry your head about. It was only the 70+ points rung up by folks like USCw that kept you befuddled.

PorkRinds

I'll admit I was pretty worried about losing Jennings.  I didn't really think we'd get a better recruiter or coach than him.  I think CBB has, once again, proven me wrong.  On paper this is a darn impressive hire.

Sivad

Magnifico hire and addition to the staff by Coach Bielema!
WPS!

swineology

Quote from: Sivad on February 24, 2016, 11:20:23 am
Magnifico hire and addition to the staff by Coach Bielema!
WPS!

And let's all have a laugh at the Shorthorn's for stealing our coach......

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

RyeHogFan

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Dwight_K_Shrute

I wish they could keep the hires private until the actual press conference then just blow it up.  Bielema just stepping up to the mic, grabbing it, saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, Paul Rhoads" then drops mic and goes and hops on his wife.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Mike_e

Get the feeling that other HCs around will start being nicer to CBB?

They may be working for him soon after all.

LOLOLOLOL
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

fishes2000

Will he be on the field or up in the box with Lunney? Seems like a former head coach upstairs would work great in communicating with CRS.

Cure

I wonder if he'll get the assistant head coach title.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

GolfnHog

I was just up in Ames, Iowa for the week 2 weeks ago. Though I had no idea this hire would ever come to the Hogs, the majority of the folks that talked football were a bit perturbed that Coach Rhoades was let go. They talked more about how he was loved by everyone, he had the kids in class etc... so yeah, the Hog just got a damn sight better today!

Most felt that given time that CPR would have consistently given ISU a bowl eligible team each and every year and they understood that's what ISU should aspire too and not National Championships
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: HamShank on February 24, 2016, 09:57:25 am
Coach B came here assuming he could fix what he considered to be his biggest problem at Wisconsin, losing coaches every year. Despite Long's willingness to match salaries, the problem has only gotten worse. I can only assume Bielema's only "plan" at this point is to get the best possible coach available and hope they buy in and want to be here for a long time. The rest is beyond his control.
That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works...

Assistant coaches move often at every school in the NCAA.  Nothing different than what we deal with.  He did not like that his coaches were taking lateral jobs for more money.  Here the coaches have moved on for better job, better fits and more money.  Completely different.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

immahog

WOW at this hire Woo Pig. Did BB ever say anything about jennings moving on ?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dwight_K_Shrute

If you look at his resume he hasn't been a guy that moved around much.  Was an asst at ISU for 5 years.  DC at Pitt for 8 years.  1 year stop at Auburn but left to take ISU job after TT was fired, and had been at ISU for 7 seasons.

He will be paid well at the UofA and has already had a taste of what the HC grind can be like.  I'd guess he will be here beyond 2 seasons unless someone comes calling with a 7 figure coordinator job.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

FreshHog

Now that is a mic drop.

Great coach, even greater man. I think he can do some big things here for us, even if he's not here long.

Happy as hell to have him.

Smalltownhog95

LOVE IT. Another former head coach on staff. Hoping we lock down the middle of the field from now on.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 24, 2016, 11:34:05 am
I wish they could keep the hires private until the actual press conference then just blow it up.  Bielema just stepping up to the mic, grabbing it, saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, Paul Rhoads" then drops mic and goes and hops on his wife.

mtnmusic

20hog11

Bret does it again! He's changing the game with his recent hires.

lumphog

FreshHog

Quote from: factchecker on February 24, 2016, 11:45:19 am

LOL, the last line of the video

" At long last, Iowa State takes down Mighty Texas! "

Mighty.... oh lord how far they've fallen. Its a b-e-a-UTIFUL sight.

BallHog1

Quote from: RyeHogFan on February 24, 2016, 10:14:31 am
He's probably going to be a 2 year guy here, but MAN what a 2 years it'll be!!
This, and if everyone will accept that and not freak out when he does leave, we'll be fine. Take advantage of the opportunity and when its over, know that CBB will find another.

rustr

Dam outstanding hire. This dude is the real deal. Welcome aboard coach rhoads.

Hollywood_HOGan45

longpig

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 24, 2016, 11:42:46 am
That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works...

Assistant coaches move often at every school in the NCAA.  Nothing different than what we deal with.  He did not like that his coaches were taking lateral jobs for more money.  Here the coaches have moved on for better job, better fits and more money.  Completely different.

And to add, vast majority of the ones who left from Arkansas were under performing, opposite of Wisconsin.
Don't be scared, be smart.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

younghog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 24, 2016, 10:11:35 am
the magnitude of this hire is huge, as some fans were supporting him for HC before CBB was hired.

Don't Recall this..

BUT THIS IS A GREAT GET..

Up there with "One of the Best thus Far"

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

rzrbk4life

Welcome aboard coach! Another great hire by CBB. WPS!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Oklahawg

If you can recruit to Iowa State from FL, CA, and TX you sure as hell can recruit to UA. He has had to be a great talent evaluator to get to bowl games with the Cyclones.

Seems like a solid hire to me.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgzinbowlz

Snizzzo

factchecker

https://twitter.com/TheForumJohn/status/702565084795568129

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/paul-rhoads-iowa-state-cyclones-speeches-profile-aaron-torres-092614

QuoteWhen Dave Wannstedt took over for the 2005 season, he kept Rhoads on the staff as much for his character as for his X's and O's acumen. The two not only became colleagues but fast friends, with the young coordinator serving as a confidant to the new head coach.

"Him and I always had a good relationship and it really developed where I trusted him," Wannstedt said. "I really used Paul as a sounding board. It wasn't long before we went one-on-one behind closed doors, where I'd say 'What do you think? Think we need to do something or not?'"

That trust helped them team up for one of the biggest wins in program history.

The 2007 Panthers closed a disappointing 5-7 season with the chance to play spoiler vs. hated rival West Virginia in the "Backyard Brawl." At 10-1, the Mountaineers were No. 2 in the country and would play for the national championship with a win.

In a game then-WVU coach Rich Rodriguez called a "nightmare," Pitt pulled off the most improbable upset in series history, winning 13-9 in Morgantown.

While most are quick to remember that West Virginia's prolific offense (which averaged just under 40 points per game that season) came to a screeching halt that night, what few have ever bothered to ask is what exactly the Panthers' coaching staff did to stop them.

Wannstedt points to a game plan installed by his defensive coordinator. It had been instituted earlier in the week and was centered on the most fundamental skill in football, he said.

"The way I would do it as a head coach, is, you have your offense practicing on one field, your defense practicing on another field," Wannstedt said. "I remember, we're getting ready for West Virginia and I look over, and Paul is putting the defense through tackling drills."

Seems simple enough, only Rhoads took it to an extreme.

When Wannstedt looked over at his defense during the next period of practice -- 20 minutes later -- there was the D, going through another tackling drill.

The decision to scrap more formal game-planning and get back to basics piqued Wannstedt's interest. He walked over and asked Rhoads what exactly he was doing.
"He says 'Coach, the more I look at this thing, we've got a good scheme, we're going to have guys in the right positions, but to beat West Virginia, we've got to be able to tackle,'" Wannstedt explained. "He really said it (again), 'We've got to be able to tackle.'"

Reflecting on the win, all Wannstedt could do was laugh.

"We go on to win the game, and I went back and looked at that tape," he said. "I believe we had a total of seven missed tackles in the game. At that time, West Virginia was having guys miss seven tackles on one play."

It's a game that will live on forever in Pitt lore. And it had Rhoads' fingerprints all over it.

"Behind the national championship," Wannstedt said. "It's arguably the second biggest win in Pitt history."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

southarkhog06

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 11:05:14 am
Second tier?! I assume you're referring to the Hogs  ??? :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
One thing that is clear: you're a top tier moron with that question.
oh boy I forgot sarcasm font again, look at the post history of the guy I quoted and my comment will make more sense.

phadedhawg

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JIHawg

phadedhawg

Listening to his post game speeches make me wanna grab a helmet and run out onto the field!  Awesome stuff.  I hope our kids learn a lot and have a lot of fun playing for him.

Bassrox

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 24, 2016, 12:38:34 pm
http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=273350277

I'll just leave this here.

Let's just make him Co-DC and call it a day.
Holy cow! That says volumes about his ability to limit dual threat QBs. Wow.

Tejano Jawg

I have a good friend who's an Iowa St alum, and he loved Rhoads.

You can see in that video what a genuine guy he seems to be. I like him in the DB coaching role. Next to being the first string quarterback, no other position in football is more psychological (along with emotional, and a batch of other qualities) than defensive back. He looks like a guy who can get our guys' heads right.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Danny J