Former Iowa State CFB HC Paul Rhoads is now a Hogs coach

Started by Doug, February 24, 2016, 09:32:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HamShank

RazorPiggie

Wow. Great Hire. He was a hot name a couple years ago after he took ISU to a bowl game (if memory serves me correctly).

Edit: took them to a bowl game 3 out of 4 years.

idochog

I love Jesus!

idochog

Big stuff if you can get a former D1 HC to work as a Asst. coach
I love Jesus!

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm not a naysayer by any means, but I am curious about his recruiting ability.

shshark00

Quote from: idochog on February 24, 2016, 09:34:52 am
Naysayers in 3-2-1

It'll be interesting to see how they try to justify this not being an improvement. Heck of a hire.

factchecker

Coach Paul Rhoads

Coaching Experience

Iowa State, head coach (2009-2015 )
Auburn, defensive coordinator (2008)
Pittsburgh, defensive coordinator (2000-07)
Iowa State, assistant coach (1995-99)
Pacific, assistant coach (1992-93), pass game coordinator (1994)
Ohio State, graduate assistant (1991)
Utah State, graduate assistant (1989-90)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

010HogFan

The_Iceman

February 24, 2016, 09:41:06 am #13 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:21:00 am by The_Iceman
WOW!

online-with-swine

"Son, look over there.  Do you see it?  Way over there in left field, that's Arkansas' new defensive backs coach."

WooPig90

hogcam

Coach B is the man! WPS!   :razorback: Welcome Coach Rhoads!

factchecker

I love the fact that nobody leaked this info out.  The first I read about this hire was from the official Razorback Football Twitter.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HawgTrough

WPS

idochog

This is not your typical Hootie staff thats for sure.

This is the kind of staff JFB used to bring in here
I love Jesus!

Paul

opineonswine

jackflash

coach BB does it again. Like this hire wonder what area he will recruit

online-with-swine

On the surface it is kinda a weird hire.  Head coach to db coach?  Maybe CBB is expecting Coach Smith to move on in a year or two as a head coach and is bringing Rhoades in so he can promote from within when it happens?

FutureMan

"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hawgndaaz

Tim Harris

Great hire and gives us a built in DC candidate if Smith was to move on at some point in the future.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 24, 2016, 09:49:15 am
On the surface it is kinda a weird hire.  Head coach to db coach?  Maybe CBB is expecting Coach Smith to move on in a year or two as a head coach and is bringing Rhoades in so he can promote from within when it happens?

Or it could be you just hire the best available ?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Cure

Yes, that's what it seems like. In most cases these days around college football, they're bringing these guys to step right in (i.e. Saban).
Team Economics

hogman78

Maybe he wouldn't get his buyout money if he took another head coaching job?

greenEGnHAWGS

Wow. CBB is the freaking man. Awesome hire! Welcome to the family CPR!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

whippersnapper

Welcome aboard Coach Rhoads! I wonder who reached out to whom first? Seems like a guy that doesn't like to bounce around a whole lot in the coaching world. He also didn't tuck tail and run once it started getting tough the last 3 years at ISU.

Chief Mac

WOW!!  Totally unexpected!  Great defensive coach.  Can he recruit?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HamShank

Coach B came here assuming he could fix what he considered to be his biggest problem at Wisconsin, losing coaches every year. Despite Long's willingness to match salaries, the problem has only gotten worse. I can only assume Bielema's only "plan" at this point is to get the best possible coach available and hope they buy in and want to be here for a long time. The rest is beyond his control.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sooie71923

buldozer

Sounds like a home run. I just hope the guy stays more than 1 or 2 years and does a good job recruiting. I like CBB thinking outside the box.

Tim Harris

It will be interesting to see what we are paying him 

Hogberry Snortcake

Arkiebarkie

Bret say's we have a chance to improve if someone leaves.....YEP!  Great job Coach B.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 24, 2016, 10:00:31 am
It will be interesting to see what we are paying him 

Bitcoins??  Yeah, give Tom Murphy a few days to FOI it for us. I suspect we'll soon hear of this one, and several other raises and extensions.

southarkhog06

With all due respect to CRS, CDE, CMS, and CKA. On the surface this is the most amazing hire of CBB career.

StadiumDrive

This is big time. Hope he will stay a few years and build some continuity. If there is one area that seems to be consistently weak year over year dating back to HDN, it's the secondary. This is huge.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Cure

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 24, 2016, 10:06:28 am
With all due respect to CRS, CDE, CMS, and CKA. On the surface this is the most amazing hire of CBB career.
Paul Chryst, but at Arkansas it was Enos without question.
Team Economics

hogcard1964