Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legit Question Regarding CBB

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, February 21, 2016, 01:16:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 06:38:17 pm
We have had some good repeatable discussions between us. When you get to be a MOD our Admin here then you can call me out. Yes I admit I was rude but sometimes dumb questions that have been covered and RECENTLY still arise. Also you can be rude in threads sometimes. Don't call me out for doing it unless you yourself will not do so either. We both know you have to have a pair on here and they better be brass or steel.

I wouldn't moderate this bunch of knuckleheads for love or money.  Meanwhile, I'll continue to stand up to the bullies until I get bant for it.  Again.  That's sort of my nature.  I've got plenty to do. 

You weren't the only rude one above, but you were the first.  This place would be a lot more pleasant if posters, especially regulars, would follow one simple rule - treat everyone the way you'd like to be treated yourself.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 07:29:36 pm
Huh? I don't even know how your response correlates with my post. Did I attack CBB in any way?

It didn't and you didn't.  You asked a good question.  Many here lack the attention span to read a well framed OP.  Don't let it discourage you.  Post more, read less.

kp72204

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2016, 07:47:20 pm
We've had several guys stay this year, Smith, Segrest, and Enos, I don't think that's quite "ready to bail", but the game has changed, I don't think you find the Bud Foster's these days.
That is true, and I'm thankful they all did. However, of those three who really was wanted. I'll exclude Enos, because it was his first year and he's still paying dues. If they have another successful year offensively, do you think he stays? Do you think that Smith and Segrest backed up the previous year defensive stats. I don't think they did.  Bud Foster days are definitely over. As soon as the money slows down from games the coaches are replaced.

cubsfan5150

Bunch of whiny [CENSORED] in this thread
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

nchogg

Quote from: 10thPlanet on February 21, 2016, 04:10:56 pm
I am playing meanie weinie. I am not going to grow up. They have Sonics in NC?
Yes have one down the street with Mac, BKing, KFC and the Chinese less than a mile. There are times when I go through my second childhood. Did not know about the incident at Alma Sonic. My Apologies.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 07:32:08 pm
Oh cool. I live right outside Blacksburg so this is Hokie Nation...and it's nauseating. The area is absolutely beautiful though. I love it.

Some people on here have said they would like to expand and take UVA into the SEC. Those that do have no idea that the state of Virginia has much more support for the Hokies athletics than UVA. Even in places other than the extreme southeast part where Blacksburg is. There are more Hokie fans in Virginia than Cavaliers.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 07:32:08 pm
Oh cool. I live right outside Blacksburg so this is Hokie Nation...and it's nauseating. The area is absolutely beautiful though. I love it.
I retired from the AF in Charlottesville and my oldest daughter is a freshmen at Tech.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: kp72204 on February 22, 2016, 03:34:45 am
That is true, and I'm thankful they all did. However, of those three who really was wanted. I'll exclude Enos, because it was his first year and he's still paying dues. If they have another successful year offensively, do you think he stays? Do you think that Smith and Segrest backed up the previous year defensive stats. I don't think they did.  Bud Foster days are definitely over. As soon as the money slows down from games the coaches are replaced.

You seemed to switch from nobody stays, to deciding which ones should stay, lol. The point I was bringing up was, coaches are mercenaries these days, they don't stay for the "helmet".

MJ2

None of us really know how hard or easy CBB is to work for.    On the surface, it appears he would be a pretty good boss, but who knows.    I assume when someone leaves they are looking for something better and much like in the working world, there are a lot of job changes that take place that don't work out.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 22, 2016, 06:24:08 am
Some people on here have said they would like to expand and take UVA into the SEC. Those that do have no idea that the state of Virginia has much more support for the Hokies athletics than UVA. Even in places other than the extreme southeast part where Blacksburg is. There are more Hokie fans in Virginia than Cavaliers.

This. If there was one team that I'd like to see join the SEC, it would be Tech. Excellent fan base. At least some tradition. Plays hard nose football (at least they did before Beamer got sick and everything slowly stayed to decline).
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

bphi11ips

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 22, 2016, 09:42:50 am
This. If there was one team that I'd like to see join the SEC, it would be Tech. Excellent fan base. At least some tradition. Plays hard nose football (at least they did before Beamer got sick and everything slowly stayed to decline).

Va. Tech is in the SEC footprint:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/10/07/bristol-motor-speedway-nascar-races-college-football-tennessee-virginia-tech/73542248/

gchamblee

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 06:44:38 pm
What was my dumb question? Please answer me that. I already said, yes, there was another thread about coaching changes. All I wanted to do is ask if there was any similar frustrations that CBB has had at his previous job with us now.

Not sure why anyone's first thought of rational is to attack, but it is definitely a HV theme.

If your question was a sincere desire to discuss and enquire about the subject then you are being unjustly separated from the herd. Maybe this will help you understand....

There is a very vocal minority of posters on the board that like to start threads that take jabs at CBB by carefully framing the thread as a legit question while giving a strong undertow of there being a problem that needs to be addressed. They have resorted to this tactic because the mods have pretty much limited them to this option. Most who employ this tactic are using accounts with low post counts because, I assume they aren't wanting to risk getting their primary account banned, or do not want to be living under the dark cloud stigma when things start going exceptionally well. There is the occasional poster that likes to throw a firecracker into the pit of fans and see how many are willing to dive on it. It gets frustrating, but it is just unbearable around here when 20 people are toting firecrackers.

To make matters worse, this puts everyone on the defensive because the idea of letting one of these morons think they were actually clever is simply not an option. You just became a statistic. When spraying for mosquitos you have to kill a cat or 2.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: gchamblee on February 22, 2016, 01:36:09 pm
If your question was a sincere desire to discuss and enquire about the subject then you are being unjustly separated from the herd. Maybe this will help you understand....

There is a very vocal minority of posters on the board that like to start threads that take jabs at CBB by carefully framing the thread as a legit question while giving a strong undertow of there being a problem that needs to be addressed. They have resorted to this tactic because the mods have pretty much limited them to this option. Most who employ this tactic are using accounts with low post counts because, I assume they aren't wanting to risk getting their primary account banned, or do not want to be living under the dark cloud stigma when things start going exceptionally well. There is the occasional poster that likes to throw a firecracker into the pit of fans and see how many are willing to dive on it. It gets frustrating, but it is just unbearable around here when 20 people are toting firecrackers.

To make matters worse, this puts everyone on the defensive because the idea of letting one of these morons think they were actually clever is simply not an option. You just became a statistic. When spraying for mosquitos you have to kill a cat or 2.

I totally understand the dynamic that is Hogville and it is truly unfortunate. Like I said previously, living in ACC country near the Hokies campus, all I ever hear about is VT. Hogville is literally my main source of Razorback discussion.

I love CBB and I hope he is the Beamer of Arkansas (except with a NC victory). I LOVE talking about my Hogs even if it's with someone with a differing opinion. I'll never get on here and troll, that's why I took so long with my premise before I asked my question.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

kp72204

Quote from: ricepig on February 22, 2016, 07:52:48 am
You seemed to switch from nobody stays, to deciding which ones should stay, lol. The point I was bringing up was, coaches are mercenaries these days, they don't stay for the "helmet".
Yeah!! After I re-read it, I realized I could have been a lot clearer. The way I was looking at it, is kind of like the Arkansas State University head coaching job. As soon as something better comes a long, then they leave. I agree that most coaches are mercenaries and loyalty is in short supply, however universities are loyal to the fans and trustees (most of the time). Basically what I was implying was that the asst coaches that get the most praise (the ones most talked about here) are the ones that leave. What was our turnover of coaches with CBP and CHN? Anywhere close to CBB? How do we get stability when two years and someone leaves?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:16:54 pm
One of the things he was very specific about when leaving a Wisconsin was that he couldn't keep his staff intact. I know this was mostly about the AD not being willing to fork over the dough, but he said coaching continuity was very important to him.

So, now here at Arkansas, we are willing to pay up with the best of them, but quite a few have moved on to other teams. Some for better jobs, some for lateral, and some were CBBs decision. But the fact is, one of CBBs main job had been to go out and find a "diamond in the rough" assistant in which I don't believe there is anyone better. He does this so well...but he has had to do this quite often.

All that to finally ask, do you think he is getting frustrated with the assistant turnover? I don't think he is wanting to leave or anything, but he is encountering the same problem that he was frustrated with at Wisconsin.

The money was a factor at Wisconsin.  Another factor might have been that Bielema's just hard to work for. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

factchecker

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 23, 2016, 08:46:06 am
The money was a factor at Wisconsin.  Another factor might have been that Bielema's just hard to work for. 

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hoggish1

He upgrades every time.  Relax and enjoy the ride...

ricepig

Quote from: kp72204 on February 23, 2016, 07:56:48 am
Yeah!! After I re-read it, I realized I could have been a lot clearer. The way I was looking at it, is kind of like the Arkansas State University head coaching job. As soon as something better comes a long, then they leave. I agree that most coaches are mercenaries and loyalty is in short supply, however universities are loyal to the fans and trustees (most of the time). Basically what I was implying was that the asst coaches that get the most praise (the ones most talked about here) are the ones that leave. What was our turnover of coaches with CBP and CHN? Anywhere close to CBB? How do we get stability when two years and someone leaves?

Nobody wanted BP's or HN's assistants, or very few of them. The paradigm has changed from 10 years ago, nobody stays out of loyalty, and to most HV's chagrin, we can't pay top 10 salaries for assistants, or not across the board.

Mike_e

Oh come on, any successful HC is going to be hard to work for.  Being driven and driving those under you is what makes them successful.

People who make the kind of money that P5 assants do shouldn't expect to punch a clock in an 8 to 5 job.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pork Twain

Anything to support that?  If not, why even say it?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

A theory I haven't seen mentioned, that I think has as much merit as everything else that has been proposed, is that maybe some of these assistants struggle to recruit well when the type of human being they can go after is limited by a HC that is determined to keep a clean well respected program. It is possible that they feel they could get the players they wanted at another program if they were allowed to go after kids who struggle in class and get into trouble off the field.

I am not suggesting that this is true, just throwing it out there for consideration.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2016, 01:19:13 pm
Oh WOW! Why haven't we covered this breaking news question and story?! One would think we would have already discussed it. Oh wait NEVERMIND.........................................

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 23, 2016, 12:49:32 pm
Anything to support that?  If not, why even say it?

Because people tend to quit bosses rather than jobs.

I work in HR. If a unit experiences high turnover, there could be a number of factors.  If the manager of that unit goes to another unit and the high turnover moves to the new unit, you've probably found your problem.

That's what's happened here:  high turnover at Wisconsin, now high turnover at Arkansas. Doesn't mean "Fire Bielema."  Think about what CBB says with the mics on; imagine what he's likely to say with them off. I'm just saying that's within the realm of possibility that he isn't easy to work for.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 23, 2016, 07:17:57 pm

I work in HR. If a unit experiences high turnover, there could be a number of factors.  If the manager of that unit goes to another unit and the high turnover moves to the new unit, you've probably found your problem.

That's what's happened here:  high turnover at Wisconsin, now high turnover at Arkansas. Doesn't mean "Fire Bielema."  Think about what CBB says with the mics on; imagine what he's likely to say with them off. I'm just saying that's within the realm of possibility that he isn't easy to work for.

The most obvious reason is that coaching IS a high turnover profession.....................just like a lot of professions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kp72204

kp72204

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2016, 09:30:12 am
Nobody wanted BP's or HN's assistants, or very few of them. The paradigm has changed from 10 years ago, nobody stays out of loyalty, and to most HV's chagrin, we can't pay top 10 salaries for assistants, or not across the board.
You speak the truth kind sir.

LZH

Back to the money thing, I still wonder what our guidelines are for paying assistant coaches. Off the top of my head, the top coordinators in the SEC would be guys like Gus, Mullen, Smart, and Muschamp. Well, they are all head coaches now. The only other rockstar coordinators that I can think of would be Kiffin and Chavis. I am sure there are others, but I haven't followed other teams over the past year or two like most of you have.

Either way, could anyone really make an argument that our coordinators are not in the same league as these guys? And without looking, I would venture to guess that our coordinators are making about half of what these last two are making. I will repeat that it is very easy for me to spend other people's money, but that is only because I wonder if money will be a factor in losing one of our coordinators in the next year or two.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 23, 2016, 09:18:23 pm
Back to the money thing, I still wonder what our guidelines are for paying assistant coaches. Off the top of my head, the top coordinators in the SEC would be guys like Gus, Mullen, Smart, and Muschamp. Well, they are all head coaches now. The only other rockstar coordinators that I can think of would be Kiffin and Chavis. I am sure there are others, but I haven't followed other teams over the past year or two like most of you have.

Either way, could anyone really make an argument that our coordinators are not in the same league as these guys? And without looking, I would venture to guess that our coordinators are making about half of what these last two are making. I will repeat that it is very easy for me to spend other people's money, but that is only because I wonder if money will be a factor in losing one of our coordinators in the next year or two.

Chavis makes $1.5m, but Kiffin only makes $680,000.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2016, 09:21:18 pm
Chavis makes $1.5m, but Kiffin only makes $680,000.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Actually, it makes me warm and fuzzy that Kiffin only makes 680K. However, just because I don't like him doesn't mean he isn't a hell of an offensive coordinator. But after what I have seen of DE, I would say he is every bit as valuable. My hypothetical question would be, how much would our program be willing to pay for top-notch assistant coaches (like the ones we have now)? Is there a reason that we aren't paying over a million dollars for guys who are as valuable as 'the best' in the conference?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 23, 2016, 07:17:57 pm

While I here you - those type of bosses usually have rumors circulating about how big of a jerk the person is. Many will keep quiet, but some will be angry enough to let a few comments slip out.

I have not heard a single negative word about CBB from his assistants. While you don't like some of the things he says many people do - including his assistants. Some even followed him to Arkansas.

There is a reason these guys are getting promoted. CBB sets high standards and these assistants set high standards as well. He has a history of helping assistants climb the ladder, so good assistants come work for him. Then they get promoted up the ladder. Just as they knew they would when they accepted to work for him.

Very few leaders obtain success without having a dynamic team. My mentor always advised "You want to be a superstar? Then hire superstars."
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

So Far Coach been upgrading his staff with each departure. So it is fine with me.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2016, 01:16:54 pm
One of the things he was very specific about when leaving a Wisconsin was that he couldn't keep his staff intact. I know this was mostly about the AD not being willing to fork over the dough, but he said coaching continuity was very important to him.

So, now here at Arkansas, we are willing to pay up with the best of them, but quite a few have moved on to other teams. Some for better jobs, some for lateral, and some were CBBs decision. But the fact is, one of CBBs main job had been to go out and find a "diamond in the rough" assistant in which I don't believe there is anyone better. He does this so well...but he has had to do this quite often.

All that to finally ask, do you think he is getting frustrated with the assistant turnover? I don't think he is wanting to leave or anything, but he is encountering the same problem that he was frustrated with at Wisconsin.
Want to share your angst with us in light of today's latest addition and hiring to the Hog's staff? Think that most might possibly consider this an upgrade?

jackflash

I can understanding some off BB loses. Two to the NFL hard to tell someone not to take that job. Jennings to Texas or Shannon to Florida I can understand these moves.

redeye

I haven't read this thread, but still want to say something.  When you're hiring good assistants, there will be turnover.  As times passes, hopefully we'll see some like Arkansas and stick around longer, but replacing good assistants each year is much preferable to not having to replace poor assistants.  We've been in the latter boat a lot in the modern era, so I think our current situation is a good thing.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: redeye on February 24, 2016, 04:05:27 pm
I haven't read this thread, but still want to say something.  When you're hiring good assistants, there will be turnover.  As times passes, hopefully we'll see some like Arkansas and stick around longer, but replacing good assistants each year is much preferable to not having to replace poor assistants.  We've been in the latter boat a lot in the modern era, so I think our current situation is a good thing.
Bingo! You totally "nailed" it!! Yep, in a way this profession is the prime example of "you pick your poison". You either hire assistants that are dynamic and are naturally going to be in demand by a lot of other programs; on the other hand, you can choose staff that only want to do the minimum to hold onto their jobs but won't cause anyone else to want them either. Job stability in America used to the the norm. Any more it almost seems a "badge of honor" that you're constantly being "hunted" for bigger and better hires. Obviously this applies to the coaching profession as much as anywhere.

Vantage 8 dude

Interesting how very good assistants, including several former HCs at other D1 programs, seem not to have any problem working for him. Want to tell again how he's so "hard to work for" or do you want to offer some actual proof to such? Yeah, I thought not.... :puke: :puke:

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 03:02:52 pm
Want to share your angst with us in light of today's latest addition and hiring to the Hog's staff? Think that most might possibly consider this an upgrade?

Angst?! You're kidding right? What part of my post showed angst? I'm freaking ecstatic about this latest hire! I watched the video of him with his players and I swore I got something in my eye that made it start watering. An upgrade for sure...and i loved Jennings.

I really don't understand why I can't ask a simple question correlating something that CBB said about his frustration at Wisconsin? Your thread about CBB and his ability to find upgrades at every position when someone leaned was SPOT ON.

Some people need to actually read what people post and not just attack cuz you THINK someone is bashing our coach just cuz they asked a question.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 24, 2016, 04:29:59 pm
Angst?! You're kidding right? What part of my post showed angst? I'm freaking ecstatic about this latest hire! I watched the video of him with his players and I swore I got something in my eye that made it start watering. An upgrade for sure...and i loved Jennings.

I really don't understand why I can't ask a simple question correlating something that CBB said about his frustration at Wisconsin? Your thread about CBB and his ability to find upgrades at every position when someone leaned was SPOT ON.

Some people need to actually read what people post and not just attack cuz you THINK someone is bashing our coach just cuz they asked a question.

You're angst IMO was appropriate given your apparent alarm/concern over assistants moving on under CBB, which isn't by any means unusual in today's game. I have no problem with someone asking the question 'cause I fully realize it's not MY exclusive message/fan board anyway. However, I won't let a question go unchallenged if I feel it's baseless, which in case I obviously do. However, if you're going to be so thin-skinned I would respectfully suggest you either get more "alligator hide" or leave the site 'cause we're ALL going to get disagreed with from time-to-time.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 05:11:02 pm

Ha ha...you're killing me Vantage. I'm considered "Thin skinned" cuz I'm asking you to clarify your accusations?

Please just answer me, what shows "angst" in my original post? And what was "baseless" in my question?

CBB said that (granted due Alvarez not wanting to for over money) losing assistants was frustrating.

Hi base. Meet question.

Mike_e

After this last hire if you still have angst about CBB then you need to change your meds.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 24, 2016, 05:38:46 pm
Ha ha...you're killing me Vantage. I'm considered "Thin skinned" cuz I'm asking you to clarify your accusations?

Please just answer me, what shows "angst" in my original post? And what was "baseless" in my question?

CBB said that (granted due Alvarez not wanting to for over money) losing assistants was frustrating.

Hi base. Meet question.
Simple answer even for your mind: don't sweat the changes in assistants. As has been pointed out by others, the vast majority have either left for the NFL and/or higher positions (promotions) at other programs. That's what I mean by "angst" (i.e. undo concern over issues). Besides, as we saw again today CBB tends to do very well on his "upgrades".

BTW I strongly suspect I didn't really kill you....unfortunately you were already brain dead long before now.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 08:49:29 pm
Simple answer even for your mind: don't sweat the changes in assistants. As has been pointed out by others, the vast majority have either left for the NFL and/or higher positions (promotions) at other programs. That's what I mean by "angst" (i.e. undo concern over issues). Besides, as we saw again today CBB tends to do very well on his "upgrades".

BTW I strongly suspect I didn't really kill you....unfortunately you were already brain dead long before now.

V8d, like I said earlier, you really ought to read posts before commenting about them. Do I like coaching changes? Nope. Does it happen? Yep. Am I sweating/concerned about these coaching changes? Not in the SLIGHTEST. If you had read any of my posts, you would realize that.

I didn't want to discuss upgrades from coach to coach, or matching salaries for our assistants, or the fact that hiring good coaches means others want them. I SIMPLY wanted to see what people's thoughts were on CBB and any possible frustration he might have.

It's unfortunate. I use to think that you were a decent poster, V8d. But man, not sure why the need to resort to 3rd grade insults. And don't even go into the "tougher skin" crap. I couldn't care less about your drivel. It's just annoying when someone calls you out without having any clue what you actually said in a post.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 08:49:29 pm

What has gotten into this board?

V8 - you usually have good perspective.  Green eggs couldn't have asked a much simpler question.  Do we think Bret Bielema gets frustrated when he loses an assistant?  Simple answer - sure he does. 

College head football coaches are humans.  They have lives outside the office.  When an executive loses a key member of his team, it takes a lot of time and effort to find a replacement.  Time and effort in addition to everything else he has to do.  Bielema does whatever it takes and does a great job of it, as he has done again.  But do you think he goes home after losing an assistant and say, "Great news, Jen!  I get to hire another assistant!  So I'll be gone four nights this week again."  No, hiring new assistants is a pain in the butt.

Sometimes a simple question is just that - a simple question.  In this particular instance, it was a good question. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2016, 09:34:04 pm

V8 - you usually have good perspective.  Green eggs couldn't have asked a much simpler question.  Do we think Bret Bielema gets frustrated when he loses an assistant?  Simple answer - sure he does. 

College head football coaches are humans.  They have lives outside the office.  When an executive loses a key member of his team, it takes a lot of time and effort to find a replacement.  Time and effort in addition to everything else he has to do.  Bielema does whatever it takes and does a great job of it, as he has done again.  But do you think he goes home after losing an assistant and say, "Great news, Jen!  I get to hire another assistant!  So I'll be gone four nights this week again."  No, hiring new assistants is a pain in the butt.

Sometimes a simple question is just that - a simple question.  In this particular instance, it was a good question.

Thanks bpi11ips. I didn't think it was a hard question. I'm just so far out of the loop living out of state that I literally have to rely on HV for a Razorback discussion. Unfortunately, some posters just like to antagonize for no reason and it ruins the possibility of a normal conversation.

Vantage 8 dude

Well I'm sure if he had his druthers he would prefer to not to have a new assistant. However, in this imperfect world, especially in today's college football environment, that's often not the case. I'm sorry I misread the original intent of the post. With the number of folks who constantly complain about the staff changes I misinterpreted the reason for the question and that was no doubt my fault. Again, I'm sure that Bret would much prefer to assemble the best staff available and be done with it. However, much of this is apparently taken out of his hands. Fortunately it seems that he's always rebounded with an even better hire the next time around.
u

LZH

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 24, 2016, 09:59:45 pmI'm just so far out of the loop living out of state that I literally have to rely on HV for a Razorback discussion.

Me too buddy. It was bad enough when I lived in Chicot County, which might as well be LSU territory these days. But in the Tampa Bay area, I am truly on my own.

BTW, I still haven't figured out why I see more Auburn stickers and license plates down here then I do Gators or Seminoles combined..... and Crimson Tide gear is right behind them. Go figure.

ChitownHawg

I'll chime in even though the reply was directed elsewhere. No long time poster on Hogville can act like people don't stir crap up around here. Good news happens and CBB haters come out of the woodworks looking to find fault. Take a look at the recent recruiting class or the other threads on the assistants leaving.

While this may have been a simple question - no one should act shocked that someone felt it was another "double meaning" question.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on February 25, 2016, 04:21:36 am
Me too buddy. It was bad enough when I lived in Chicot County, which might as well be LSU territory these days. But in the Tampa Bay area, I am truly on my own.

BTW, I still haven't figured out why I see more Auburn stickers and license plates down here then I do Gators or Seminoles combined..... and Crimson Tide gear is right behind them. Go figure.

Just another reason to avoid Florida!  ;)

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog