Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Mike Scott, Former QB for the Razorbacks

Started by BadHog, February 19, 2016, 06:13:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHog

February 19, 2016, 06:13:27 pm Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:35:05 pm by BadHog
So today another Razorback was laid to rest. Mike Scott was a walk on QB for the Hogs from 1975 through 1978.

He became the answer to the trivia question: What Arkansas QB played an entire game without completing (or attempting) a pass? The answer is Mike Scott.

On September 18, 1976, with Ron Calcagni sidelined, Mike, the walk-on QB, started in his place. Even with four fumbles, the HOGS went on to win that game 16-10 at WMS before a then record crowd. The Hogs never attempted a single pass during the game under Lou Holtz Frank Broyles' last seaon of leadership. Mike was a Little Rock native leading the Hall High School Warriors on the field as their quarterback during high school.

During the 1978 Orange Bowl, Mike was put in toward the end of the game. On the first play, he handed the ball off to Barnabas White who took it to the house for a TD. Mike was so excited to get in the game and wanted the possession to last a bit longer!

Mike was a fine man who touched many many people's lives in such a positive way. Kevin Scanlon (also a former Hog QB) spoke at the service today of Mike's great leadership during college and throughout his lifetime. Mike left us way too young.

Another amusing note about Mike is that during Jeff Longs' coaching search after Petrino's exit is that Mike sent an email in early May 2012 asking Jeff if he had considered Bret Bielema. (I know this to be a fact as he showed me the email!) Jeff responded back to Mike "after" the hire so one can only speculate if Bret was on Jeff's radar at the time he received the email from Mike.

Let's all raise a toast to Mike Scott! A true Razorback! WPS!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Pulled(PP)pork

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JIHawg

Bkhardicars

I remember listening to that game on the radio as a young hog fan..What happened to him? He was still a young man.:(

Mike_e

Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Iwastherein1969

RIP Mike...for some reason, likely the vodka and OJ that night, I had always thought it was TCTWF who made that hand off to Barnabas for the last TD in the Orange Bowl oh so many years ago. Looked at the tape real close and it was, and thank the Good Lord #10 was the QB who ran that last play for the Hogs TD, Holtz had slipped Mike in what looked like one play, and it was a good one....gone way too young....again, RIP Mike Scott
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoggusamoungus

1976 was actually Frank's last year.  As the stats indicate, he wasn't too fond of anyone throwing the ball that year.  104 attempts for the season with 38 completions.

Rk   Player   Cmp   Att   Pct   Yds   Y/A   AY/A   TD   Int   Rate
1   Ron Calcagni   17   57   29.8   366   6.4   4.0   2   4   81.3
2   Houston Nutt   12   28   42.9   153   5.5   2.3   0   2   74.5
3   Tom Rystrom   6   14   42.9   43   3.1   -0.1   0   1   54.4
4   Jerry Eckwood   2   4   50.0   57   14.3   8.0   1   1   202.2
5   Martin Lemond   1   1   100.0   47   47.0   47.0   0   0   494.8

BadHog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 19, 2016, 08:48:12 pm
1976 was actually Frank's last year.  As the stats indicate, he wasn't too fond of anyone throwing the ball that year.  104 attempts for the season with 38 completions.

Rk   Player   Cmp   Att   Pct   Yds   Y/A   AY/A   TD   Int   Rate
1   Ron Calcagni   17   57   29.8   366   6.4   4.0   2   4   81.3
2   Houston Nutt   12   28   42.9   153   5.5   2.3   0   2   74.5
3   Tom Rystrom   6   14   42.9   43   3.1   -0.1   0   1   54.4
4   Jerry Eckwood   2   4   50.0   57   14.3   8.0   1   1   202.2
5   Martin Lemond   1   1   100.0   47   47.0   47.0   0   0   494.8

Thanks Hoggus. Mike would have wanted Frank to be credited with that stat! LOL!

And another tidbit. HDN attended the memorial service today dressed like an assclown. Seriously, everyone was in black, grey, navy etc. and he walks in sporting a teal/navy/yellow plaid sports coat. Stuck out like the soar thumb he is.

George S. Pigton

Mike's younger brother tailgates with us On the Hill, never had an opportunity to meet him and I'm sorry for it.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

jkstock04

Pretty cool story about him and the orange bowl.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

murthage

For a little better information on his life and influence, this is the obit in the Arkansas Dem.... Very well written.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/obituaries/2016/feb/16/james-scott-2016-02-16/

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BadHog on February 19, 2016, 10:40:44 pm
Thanks Hoggus. Mike would have wanted Frank to be credited with that stat! LOL!

And another tidbit. HDN attended the memorial service today dressed like an assclown. Seriously, everyone was in black, grey, navy etc. and he walks in sporting a teal/navy/yellow plaid sports coat. Stuck out like the soar thumb he is.

Shame on Nutt.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HamIAm

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on February 23, 2016, 04:40:14 pm
The man has no shame.

This thread remembers and recognizes a person who played for the Razorbacks. Regardless of how you feel about Nutt there have been ample threads to voice opinions. Please don't degrade this thread into something it wasn't intended to be.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 19, 2016, 07:21:39 pm
RIP Mike...for some reason, likely the vodka and OJ that night, I had always thought it was TCTWF who made that hand off to Barnabas for the last TD in the Orange Bowl oh so many years ago. Looked at the tape real close and it was, and thank the Good Lord #10 was the QB who ran that last play for the Hogs TD, Holtz had slipped Mike in what looked like one play, and it was a good one....gone way too young....again, RIP Mike Scott

I always thought it was Nutt, too. I went back and watched the YouTube video and sure enough -- they switch away for a replay of Sales breaking the Orange Bowl record, and when they come back there is Mike Scott handing off to Barnabas White. Never got mentioned on TV.

The thing about Mike's Oklahoma State game wasn't that he didn't complete a pass, it was that he didn't throw one. There were several pass plays called, but Mike always took the run option.

I thought Frank's last year we went 5-5-1.  How did we get in the Orange Bowl.

I don't remember the Gentleman who this thread is for, but I always hate to hear of any human going way before their time. 

BadHog

Quote from: 12247 on February 23, 2016, 09:24:25 pm
I thought Frank's last year we went 5-5-1.  How did we get in the Orange Bowl.

I don't remember the Gentleman who this thread is for, but I always hate to hear of any human going way before their time. 

We went to the Orange Bowl the following year in 1978 under Lou Holtz.