Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Names for the DB coaching position

Started by ricepig, February 17, 2016, 01:47:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: Paul on February 17, 2016, 02:48:31 pm
I don't care if he is from Arkansas I hate Charlie Strong

Strong hasn't been playing this offseason - made some serious recruiting moves, flipped some high profile players and is now shoring it up with some coaches who can recruit Texas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ROASHE

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 03:26:40 pm
what were they using against him?  I don't even know who he is...

That was never revealed for some reason by McElwain. May be just a rumor by the media but his firing less than a month from NSD may be the center of the speculation. On field play was not the issue, that's for sure

enginehog52

How about Charlton Warren - North Carolina defensive backs coach From Atlanta, GA

Was set to make $275,000 in 2015 before Mike Riley left Nebraska, not sure what he made at North Carolina.

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209919000

2015: North Carolina, Assistant Coach (Secondary)
2014: Nebraska, Assistant Coach (Secondary) (Only coach retained from Bo Pelini's staff by Mike Riley, due to his recruiting efforts)
2012-13: Air Force, Assistant Coach (Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Secondary)
2008-11: Air Force, Assistant Coach (Co-Defensive Coordinator/Secondary/Recruiting Coordinator)
2005-07: Air Force, Assistant Coach (Secondary/Recruiting Coordinator)

Highlights:

- Helped North Carolina rank 12th nationally in pass. def. eff., 14th in int., 18th in pass yds allowed all with a pass rush that finished 96th in sacks
- Helped Nebraska defense rank second nationally in opponent completion percentage and fifth in pass efficiency defense in 2014
- Coached three Nebraska defensive backs to All-Big Ten honors in 2014
- Coached in seven bowl games in 10 seasons as a college assistant coach
- Air Force produced a first-team All-Mountain West defensive back for three straight seasons from 2009 to 2011, including Reggie Rembert who earned first-team All-America  honors in 2010
- 2011 Air Force defense ranked third in passing yards allowed and sixth in pass efficiency defense
- 2010 Air Force was second in the nation in passing yards allowed, allowing just 147.8 yards per game
- 2009 Air Force defense ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing yards allowed, total defense and pass efficiency defense

Resume looks #Uncommon

Mike_e

Quote from: ROASHE on February 17, 2016, 03:39:20 pm
That was never revealed for some reason by McElwain. May be just a rumor by the media but his firing less than a month from NSD may be the center of the speculation. On field play was not the issue, that's for sure

Not a fan of the satan school of coaching maybe?

Something odd for sure.  He was one of the top DB coaches in the country in '14.  Now he's out of work after the first season in a new HC's tenure.

With the contacts he's bound to have I'd probably look a little further into the deal.

Especially since we're playing fla next season and --owe them one--  :)

Heck if nothing else maybe a position in QC or a recruiting position?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Ramboar

Brian Mitchell CB coach at West Viginia. Former NFL player, excellent DB coach, strong Texas ties.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

factchecker

Quote from: Ramboar on February 17, 2016, 08:10:54 pm
Brian Mitchell CB coach at West Viginia. Former NFL player, excellent DB coach, strong Texas ties.

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2333

http://247sports.com/Coach/Brian-Mitchell-590

Salary $275,000

Looks good.  I think we would be able to give him a pay increase and sell him on the chance to coach in the SEC while being closer to home (Waco, Texas).
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

lilRockNDubb

How about Robb Smith as DC/secondary (which he already is) and go out and get a hard noise recruiting ST coach? Let a grad Asst help RS with secondary.

ricepig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 17, 2016, 08:38:18 pm
How about Robb Smith as DC/secondary (which he already is) and go out and get a hard noise recruiting ST coach? Let a grad Asst help RS with secondary.

Well, I was reading something the other day about some coordinators, they liked the ability to coach their whole side of the ball, I don't know about Smith. We have a new GA for DB's Mark Sheridan.

Ramboar

Quote from: factchecker on February 17, 2016, 08:19:54 pm

Salary $275,000
Im telling ya...been screaming this guys name for 2 days. Put 9 DB's in the NFL. Has just as good if not better recruiting track record over CCJ

I'll be yo Huckleberry

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2016, 08:50:42 pm
Well, I was reading something the other day about some coordinators, they liked the ability to coach their whole side of the ball, I don't know about Smith. We have a new GA for DB's Mark Sheridan.

Then it's set. RS would be the DB coach by name and let the grad asst follow RS's lead. RS continues to coach the entire D and we sure up our ST needs with a coach.

longpig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 17, 2016, 08:38:18 pm

Being hands on with the secondary wasn't working out for Nick Saban so why would it work for Rob Smith?
Don't be scared, be smart.

HamSammich

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/14661382/houston-cougars-corby-meekins-former-texas-high-school-coaches-turned-man-recruiters

We need to go this route for two reasons:

1. It works in Texas for 4 universities

2. You don't have to worry about them being offered NFL jobs.

I wish we would fill every position coach with a HS coach.

Hambunctious

February 17, 2016, 10:20:06 pm #64 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:09:36 pm by Hambunctious
Why can't they hire a coach for the DBs, and another just for recruiting?  I see these other schools with coaches for just cornerbacks, and another just for safeties?   nm, 9 is the limit

On another note, wish we could steal one from Texas.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

lefty08

BPsTheMan

George Wilson

and how about George Wilson?

and did I mention George Wilson?

Mike_e

Somebody said something about George Wilson.

I don't know though, Wasn't he on Seinfeld?

Probably work cheap if he still wanted to work.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

3kgthog

Will it really matter who we get? It appears we have turned into a revolving door for assistants. Or at the very least a minor league farm team. No stability = Arkansas not getting to where we want to be.

lefty08

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 18, 2016, 12:11:32 am
Will it really matter who we get? It appears we have turned into a revolving door for assistants. Or at the very least a minor league farm team. No stability = Arkansas not getting to where we want to be.

Thanks for the early morning comedy routine.  I had to look a bit to find it this time, then BOOM, there it is

trphog

February 18, 2016, 06:41:14 am #70 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:55:17 am by trphog
http://247sports.com/Coach/Cornell-Ford-364

Let's go get this guy. That said none of us has a freaking clue who it will be.

RazorPiggie

LumberBacks

Quote from: factchecker on February 17, 2016, 02:52:40 pm
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carlton_buckels_740998.html

http://247sports.com/Coach/Carlton-Buckels-1142

No clue on his current salary. 

Coach Buckels is a LSU alumnus and former player so we would always have to worry about him leaving to go back to Baton Rouge.  This could also mean that he would be able to help recruit Louisiana as well as Texas.
Would be a great pick up, but he's been with Phil Bennett a long time - as his coach and now mentor.  So it might be tough to pry him away.  Baylor has it going on these days.  He has several brothers, one is a popular AP at Hebron High in Lewisville - home to Deatrich Wise Jr. and Zach Rogers.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: trphog on February 18, 2016, 08:55:34 am
Which part sir?

No one has a clue part. Someone will give us a name a few days before the hire is done. Happened with the last few coaches.

trphog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 18, 2016, 09:55:55 am
No one has a clue part. Someone will give us a name a few days before the hire is done. Happened with the last few coaches.

Agreed. But right now - no one has a freaking clue.

lefty08

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

trphog

DB coach movement in the college ranks seems crazier than normal this year.

STLhawg

ricepig

Quote from: STLhawgg on February 18, 2016, 12:11:55 pm
We didn't want two football coaches with the same last name anyway!  ;)

Yeah, like Robb Smith and Michael Smith!!

STLhawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2016, 12:28:52 pm
Yeah, like Robb Smith and Michael Smith!!
Like I meant, we don't want anymore coaches with the same last names.  :D

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 09:49:03 pm
Being hands on with the secondary wasn't working out for Nick Saban so why would it work for Rob Smith?

Idk... maybe because Saban is a head coach and Robb Smith is a coordinator?  ???

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on February 17, 2016, 02:52:40 pm
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carlton_buckels_740998.html

http://247sports.com/Coach/Carlton-Buckels-1142

No clue on his current salary. 

Coach Buckels is a LSU alumnus and former player so we would always have to worry about him leaving to go back to Baton Rouge.  This could also mean that he would be able to help recruit Louisiana as well as Texas.

Ummm...You do realize ALL coaches are former players and Alums from somewhere. No sense in worrying about them going home to their Alma Mater. It happens. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on February 17, 2016, 08:19:54 pm

Salary $275,000

Looks good.  I think we would be able to give him a pay increase and sell him on the chance to coach in the SEC while being closer to home (Waco, Texas).

I like this one. Good find.

PORKULATOR

Alot of teams do great without a "Texas guy".  We'll be fine if he's a good coach and that's that.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 18, 2016, 07:39:54 pm
Alot of teams do great without a "Texas guy".  We'll be fine if he's a good coach and that's that.

Nope. We need a "Texas guy".

Arkansas Fan

Ramboar

I'll be yo Huckleberry

HamSammich

I said it before... Ill say it again...

http://www.katyabc.org/#!Gary-Joseph/c1qht/hx84ygjn793

you break the bank for him. Houston, TAMU, Baylor, UT are out recruiting us because they bring in legendary HS coaches in texas.

HS coaches don't run to the NFL very quick either so you have continuity.

WBOBO

Why not Mike Singletary?   The guy knows football.  The guy loves football.  We wouldn't keep him but a year but why not?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

WBOBO

And I know he was a linebacker all his life but he KNOWS football.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

20hog11

If we're going after a Texas high school coach why not go after the Allen coach? Or hey lets go get the guy from the IMG academy in Florida.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 20hog11 on February 19, 2016, 11:26:27 pm
If we're going after a Texas high school coach why not go after the Allen coach? Or hey lets go get the guy from the IMG academy in Florida.
Not sure about the IMG Academy guy. Heck, by the time ole Harbaugh bring his team down to their school for a part of their spring training traveling circus he might ask the IMG guy to keep the clowns in line.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 19, 2016, 11:45:54 pm
Not sure about the IMG Academy guy. Heck, by the time ole Harbaugh bring his team down to their school for a part of their spring training traveling circus he might ask the IMG guy to keep the clowns in line.

Harbaugh probably already has a staff job lined up for the IMG guy.  I read an article last week that has has been handing out jobs left and right to coaches and/or parents of recruits.

Squealers

ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

gullster

I wish we would go the highschool route. One name I would love to see us hire is Scott Surratt of carthage texas. He currently makes over 100k. One side not he was  Mallets OC and mentor in texarkana. Multiple state championships in east texas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Don't know if he has been mentioned or not, but this guy might be good. Former NFL CB and he has Florida connections.

Patrick Surtain, coach at Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage. Surtain, a former longtime NFL cornerback, recently was promoted to coach at American Heritage, which is a small-school power in Florida. He also would be a south Florida recruiter.
Go Hogs Go!