Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Jennings?

Started by Hogdomer, February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 16, 2016, 03:51:11 pm
Jennings brought in Cuffee and Jones for an official visit.  Cuffee obviously had no intention of coming here and reportedly did what he could to get guys to Texas.  Jones also went to Texas.  I realize it's speculation but I wonder if these things are related?

So, Texas knew they were going to fire Vaughan, or are you saying they don't want him recruiting Texas for us?

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:55:54 pm
So, Texas knew they were going to fire Vaughan, or are you saying they don't want him recruiting Texas for us?

Seems like that's exactly it. And the same reason LSU wants smith.

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 03:53:53 pm
His history with Jason verrett goes against that IMO. Jennings recruit First round pick and Big 12 DPOY.

But again as I said before it's cool you don't think Jennings would be a loss. I think he would be a huge loss.

I hope Jennings stays and turns the secondary around, really like the guy.  So far his secondaries have only gotten worse with time though.  #1 followed up with #57, #59, #65 at TCU and #37 to #110 at Arkansas. 

Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:55:54 pm

They don't want him recruiting Texas for us and Jennings may have known an opportunity was going to open up.  I truly have no idea, but it seems like these things are talked about within the coaching community long before the public knows.

Temprees

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 16, 2016, 03:51:11 pm
Jennings brought in Cuffee and Jones for an official visit.  Cuffee obviously had no intention of coming here and reportedly did what he could to get guys to Texas.  Jones also went to Texas.  I realize it's speculation but I wonder if these things are related?
No. They are not

Tim Harris

Quote from: Temprees on February 16, 2016, 04:07:19 pm
No. They are not

The implosion on Hogville will be better if you go along with the theory that Jennings was helping Cuffee recruit for Texas while he was here.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 04:00:03 pm
I hope Jennings stays and turns the secondary around, really like the guy.  So far his secondaries have only gotten worse with time though.  #1 followed up with #57, #59, #65 at TCU and #37 to #110 at Arkansas. 

You can have been a really good secondary and be 65 in passing yards allowed per game. There are so many variables outside of just yards allowed. Number of Passing attempts per the other team, was your team playing with lead, what quality of teams did you play, how manh Pass breaks and ints did you have per pass attempt.

Or in the case of this season is Dre Greenlaw lined up wrong and A&M hits a long pass play to tie the game after the secondary had shut them down all night.

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 04:30:48 pm
You can have been a really good secondary and be 65 in passing yards allowed per game. There are so many variables outside of just yards allowed. Number of Passing attempts per the other team, was your team playing with lead, what quality of teams did you play, how manh Pass breaks and ints did you have per pass attempt.

Or in the case of this season is Dre Greenlaw lined up wrong and A&M hits a long pass play to tie the game after the secondary had shut them down all night.

No you can't.  That's like saying, "my kid makes Ds and Fs but he's a really good student" or "most every house I've roofed leaks but I'm a real good roofer"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 04:33:21 pm
No you can't.

So you truly believe Alabama's 2014 team was a bad secondary just because they were 58 in passing yards allowed?

You don't take into account ints, pass deflects, or 3rd down % against the pass. You aren't looking at the whole picture if that's the case

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 04:40:10 pm
So you truly believe Alabama's 2014 team was a bad secondary just because they were 58 in passing yards allowed?

You don't take into account ints, pass deflects, or 3rd down % against the pass. You aren't looking at the whole picture if that's the case

Yes, Alabama's secondary was it's undoing in 2014.  That's why they hired Mel Tucker. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 04:48:07 pm
Yes, Alabama's secondary was it's undoing in 2014.  That's why they hired Mel Tucker. 

I thought turnovers were their undoing. But clearly you and I don't look at anything the same.

go hogues

This is why CBB left Wisconsin. Wonder how long he'll want to put up with having to hire 2-3 new coaches per offseason here.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ramboar

Secondary has been less than stellar to say the least. We could 100 percent upgrade from Jennings.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 16, 2016, 05:27:18 pm #63 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:40:47 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: go hogues on February 16, 2016, 05:08:32 pm
This is why CBB left Wisconsin. Wonder how long he'll want to put up with having to hire 2-3 new coaches per offseason here.

CBB left because Barry would not pay more to keep asst. from leaving.

To this point we haven't lost an asst. due to money. Shannon might have been out of our price Range but CBB didn't even bother asking Long to pay more to keep him.

hobhog

Quote from: Ramboar on February 16, 2016, 05:09:46 pm
Secondary has been less than stellar to say the least. We could 100 percent upgrade from Jennings.

His secondary's were very good at TCU. Predict they will be much improved next year....

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 05:02:36 pm
I thought turnovers were their undoing. But clearly you and I don't look at anything the same.

Sabans secondary improved drastically because of the Mel Tucker hire and won them a national championship.  Turnovers improved slightly.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 05:36:43 pm
Sabans secondary improved drastically because of the Mel Tucker hire and won them a national championship.  Turnovers improved slightly.

I meant offensive turnovers against like OSU

longpig

Quote from: hobhog on February 16, 2016, 05:33:05 pm
His secondary's were very good at TCU. Predict they will be much improved next year....

No they weren't, they got worse after the first season and stayed that way for two more.

edit: worse for 3 more

HOGINTENNESSEE

Agree with you but let's not get back into that again

The NewEra

I would hate to lose Jennings.  My only consolation is Bielema always seems to manage an upgrade.  It would be tough in this case though, from a recruiting perspective.

I can see Strong hiring Jennings just to get even with Bielema.  Spending money is probably the only thing Texas football can beat us at these days.  Not considering negatives items such as criminals and problem children.

Ramboar

We can do better.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

longpig

Quote from: The NewEra on February 16, 2016, 05:47:52 pm
I would hate to lose Jennings.  My only consolation is Bielema always seems to manage an upgrade.  It would be tough in this case though, from a recruiting perspective.

I can see Strong hiring Jennings just to get even with Bielema.  Spending money is probably the only thing Texas football can beat us at these days.  Not considering negatives items such as criminals and problem children.

It would be a bummer to lose Jennings, especially to the Longhorns.  I think they go with Taver Johnson if Brick Haley stays, and jennings if he doesn't. 

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: go hogues on February 16, 2016, 05:08:32 pm

Retaining quality assistants was a "money" thing in Wisky. There's a "damn that guy is good, lets hire him" thing going on now.

Hell, at this rate there might be another Frank Broyles type trophy named after Bielema someday.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

HOGINTENNESSEE

AirWarren

We are a stepping stone.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 06:16:01 pm
Give some names them

Duh.....haven't you been paying attention, obviously, Mel Tucker!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: AP85 on February 16, 2016, 06:17:26 pm
We are a stepping stone.

Yet we pulled our last 2 HC's from the NFL and Wisconsin. Everyone else gets there's from Arkansas State

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: AP85 on February 16, 2016, 06:17:26 pm
We are a stepping stone.

Let's say we are. As such, wouldn't that make Arkansas desirable for the youngest and brightest minds seeking upward mobility? OH THE HORROR!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 16, 2016, 06:41:26 pm #78 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:09:51 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 06:17:27 pm
Duh.....haven't you been paying attention, obviously, Mel Tucker!!!

Well.

So far he's done pretty well with inherited players, will he only go down with his own?

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 06:41:26 pm
Well.

So far he's done pretty well with inherited players, will he only go down with his own?

Most say Bama's secondary is their worse link in their defense, I tend to agree. However, I think it's because you can't run on their front 7, you have to attack some spot. Anyway, I hope we don't lose another coach, a little stability in our secondary would be nice.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 07:22:31 pm
Most say Bama's secondary is their worse link in their defense, I tend to agree. However, I think it's because you can't run on their front 7, you have to attack some spot. Anyway, I hope we don't lose another coach, a little stability in our secondary would be nice.

I agree that passing yards allowed can be a skewed number. Teams being unable to run against Bama along with them having a lead the majority of the time would be a good example of how passing yards allowed can be skewed IMO. As teams are alway passing on most downs

Amityvillehogger

We've come a long way from no one wanting our coaches!

We will be fine. Good programs have coaching turnover. Our head coach has proven he can hire good ones. Sadly, coaches moving around in their careers is part of it now.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

hawgmasta

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 16, 2016, 08:22:51 pm

We will be fine. Good programs have coaching turnover. Our head coach has proven he can hire good ones. Sadly, coaches moving around in their careers is part of it now.

It stings but I don't see how most fans don't see this as a positive. CBB hires established guys and up and comers, and they go on to be successful at other places. Not only does that prove he's a smart CEO type coach it shows guys interested in replacing them we are a "stepping stone", and if your a P5 college football assistant coach you are ALWAYS looking for a higher profile job and probably dream of being a head coach.

Jennings is a great coach; our lack of pass rush/LB's not covering well were a part of his problem. I've noticed our DB's look for the ball more now. He is also a well respected coach in the Texas high school circuit; I would strongly prefer to keep him.

longpig

Scott7703

Jennings hasn't even left and you would think we've lost our entire staff and half our team by reading this thread.

longpig

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 16, 2016, 09:08:51 pm
Jennings hasn't even left and you would think we've lost our entire staff and half our team by reading this thread.
|

So who do you think the new secondary coach will be? ;D

lumphog

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 10:50:14 pm
|

So who do you think the new secondary coach will be? ;D
Clay Jennings......This isn't yo granmas Razorbacks

Ramboar

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 06:16:01 pm
Give some names them
Brian Mitchell at West Virginia is pretty dang good. Has Texas ties as well.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

LZH

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 16, 2016, 08:22:51 pm

What are you talking about? Over the past 18-20 years, Arkansas has been a hotbed of young assistants turning into very, very successful head coaches. Just look at all the success guys like Keith Burns, Paul Petrino, and Garrick McGee have had in their young head coaching careers. Between the three of them, they have averaged almost three wins per season. That old man on the dock would have told Forrest Gump "four more and you can have had a cocktail."

Mike_e

So has anyone heard anything or is this just a case of bad drugs?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Mike_e on February 17, 2016, 09:21:01 am
So has anyone heard anything or is this just a case of bad drugs?

What? Jennings is a confirmed candidate for the Texas Job according to multiple reports, if that is what you are asking.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 09:27:22 am
What? Jennings is a confirmed candidate for the Texas Job according to multiple reports, if that is what you are asking.

Well, Texas has reached out to him, outside of that, it's all conjecture on the level of interest.

Hogdomer

Based on tweets from Kevin Richardson and Josh Liddell, I'd say Jennings is gone.

Richardson tweeted and Liddell retweeted "Life involves people coming and going, you'll always remember the impact some have had on you though."

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2016, 09:38:04 am
Well, Texas has reached out to him, outside of that, it's all conjecture on the level of interest.

Well, some reported he interviewed yesterday. I would consider 3 different sources confirm as him being a candidate as him being candidate

longpig

Brick Haley's staying, this might put Jennings out of their price range.

Reservoir Hogs

Doesn't seem like a great career move, Charlie is hot water unless he makes some big time noise this year.  His recruiting push on signing day was a good start.

The Hawg Marshal

I hate to lose him, but if he goes we will get another coach. No use losing sleep over it.

Ironhawg

I wonder how CBB will react to an assistant interviewing for a lateral job move?

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 11:01:05 am

One thing to count on, Texas does not have a price range. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 11:01:05 am

You don't get out of Texas price range, they can pay what the want to, not what they can, take that to the bank. They can match anybody if they want to, deep, deep pockets on the forty acres. Problem is, they think everybody wants to coach down there for peanuts. The penultimate of arrogance.