Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Jennings?

Started by Hogdomer, February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropkick

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 17, 2016, 12:58:04 pm
+

Perhaps, perhaps not.
I've read elsewhere that Jennings is asking for a 3 year deal and with Strong's current situation that UT officials might not be willing to give Jennings a 3 year deal.
We should know soon one way or the other, though.
If he wants to leave I'd just as soon they work it out and we hire a new coach.

Wildhog

I always wanted us to bring in Henry eventually.  It's too soon, IMO, but CBB knows the situation a lot better than I do.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 17, 2016, 12:09:36 pm
Its actually 350k

I was going by this that had it as 350k and 2k list as other pay. But I don't know what that other pay is

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

jackflash

I can understand schools coming after Jennings I think he a great coach. The better question is who do you replace him with?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2016, 12:59:36 pm
I don't see anyway it ends up being Henry but the situations are completely different.  Henry is one of Bielemas guys.  He recruited him, coached him, etc...  I'm sure he looks at him completely different than he does Mateos.

I'm just going from CBB's comments about the Oline hire when they asked if Mateos was a candidate.  He basically said GA's are not going to be on the list when he makes the hire because he wants experience and can make better hires than hiring GA's as a position coach.  Sure, Henry is his guy.  But I doubt he throws experience out the window when making a position coach hire just because it's his guy.  Give him a few years at Rutgers and some recruiting experience and maybe he would be considered.

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 12:56:48 pm
lol, this guy thinks I'm a homer.

You should google homer.  Nvrmnd, I'll do it for you.

1.) A knucklehead or idiot who's ignorant of the world around them. They lack self awareness and are oblivious to what they say and their own actions.

2.) A blind chauvinist that displays uncritical loyalty and enthusiasm towards a team, organization, leader, band, institution, etc in spite of their obvious faults and shortcomings. Usually belligerent to criticism no matter how constructive or benign it is to their entity they blindly and uncritically support.

3.) People who never learn from their mistakes or never learn period. See definition #1.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 12:57:32 pm
If CBB wouldn't even consider Mateos because he was a GA, he's most likely not going to consider Henry.

Gus would.  ;D

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 01:03:17 pm
I'm just going from CBB's comments about the Oline hire when they asked if Mateos was a candidate.  He basically said GA's are not going to be on the list when he makes the hire because he wants experience and can make better hires than hiring GA's as a position coach.  Sure, Henry is his guy.  But I doubt he throws experience out the window when making a position coach hire just because it's his guy.  Give him a few years at Rutgers and some recruiting experience and maybe he would be considered.

OL coach goes it alone.  Robb Smith is DC and Secondary coach.  Again the situations are complete different and I wouldn't count what he said on one hiring and think the same rules apply here.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 01:05:46 pm

1.) A knucklehead or idiot who's ignorant of the world around them. They lack self awareness and are oblivious to what they say and their own actions.

2.) A blind chauvinist that displays uncritical loyalty and enthusiasm towards a team, organization, leader, band, institution, etc in spite of their obvious faults and shortcomings. Usually belligerent to criticism no matter how constructive or benign it is to their entity they blindly and uncritically support.

3.) People who never learn from their mistakes or never learn period. See definition #1.

That's funny.  Many on this board can't stand me because I'm often critical of the staff.

We can argue about Jennings' coaching ability til the cows come home, but he's undoubtedly one of our better recruiters.
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:10:34 pm
That's funny.  Many on this board can't stand me because I'm often critical of the staff.

We can argue about Jennings' coaching ability til the cows come home, but he's undoubtedly one of our better recruiters.

Yes he is, also one of the few coaches we have that I'd drink a beer with.  Unless he takes the Texas job, that is ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 01:05:46 pm

Hmm, describes you to a T. With your blind loyalty being your opinions. Some of which are becoming laughable now.

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 01:16:22 pm
Hmm, describes you to a T. With your blind loyalty being your opinions. Some of which are becoming laughable now.

Where in the definition of Homer is loyalty to one's own opinion?  You ladies are butthurt over UT outbidding us for  Jennings because he has a nice smile and is a real good dancer. I can appreciate those qualities too, it's his numbers I don't like.  Producing a number specific to his position's performance that makes an argument for him being a great coach would be very nonhomer. Have any of you Homers done this?  NO

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 01:24:13 pm
Where in the definition of Homer is loyalty to one's own opinion?  You ladies are butthurt over UT outbidding us for  Jennings because he has a nice smile and is a real good dancer. I can appreciate those qualities too, it's his numbers I don't like.  Producing a number specific to his position's performance that makes an argument for him being a great coach would be very nonhomer. Have any of you Homers done this?  NO

Sounds like it hit a nerve. One's own opinion would fall under the etc part of the definition.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:26:39 pm
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/700038119098228736

I hate everything about Texas.  But I can see why Jennings would want to be back in the state.  We need a STUD TX recruiter to replace him.  He did a great job down there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:26:23 pm
He gone.

That sucks. We have got a lot of money to spend but big blow to out already lacking Texas recruiting.

longpig

February 17, 2016, 01:34:42 pm #167 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:38:11 pm by longpig
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 01:31:07 pm
Sounds like hit a nerve. One's own opinion would fall under the etc part of the definition.

This isn't a number supporting your argument. It is a great example of parts 1.) and 3.) of the definition though. :P

Mike_e

Some people around here would be a lot more comfortable if they'd un-wad their panties.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Mike_e

Back to business.

Who do you have as a replacement?
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

HogFoo

Ya know, tbis is a move i dont really understand.   Well, i guess i can in the fact that he would want to be back in texas.  But, charlie , even though he ended up bringing in a top10 recruiting class, is a bad season from being fired.  And Jennings is willing to bet a stable position at Arkansas,  for one as bad as texas??? That doesn't make sense.  Makes you wonder how well he got along with Bielema.   I thought they got along just fine.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ricepig

Quote from: HogFoo on February 17, 2016, 01:41:51 pm
Ya know, tbis is a move i dont really understand.   Well, i guess i can in the fact that he would want to be back in texas.  But, charlie , even though he ended up bringing in a top10 recruiting class, is a bad season from being fired.  And Jennings is willing to bet a stable position at Arkansas,  for one as bad as texas??? That doesn't make sense.  Makes you wonder how well he got along with Bielema.   I thought they got along just fine.

May have gotten a multiple year contract with a nice pay raise. I doubt he feels he'd be out of a job too long wherever he coaches.

The_Iceman

Maybe Bielema told him to leave because he couldn't sign any frickin' DBs!

PorkRinds

If they agreed to give him a longer term contract, I'd say that's a good reason.  That tells him either A. Charlie isn't getting fired any time soon, or B. even if he does, they want Jennings to stick around for a few years.  I'll be shocked if it isn't more than a short term deal. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2016, 01:45:35 pm
Maybe Bielema told him to leave because he couldn't sign any frickin' DBs!

He was too busy signing other positions, including the best overall player in our signing class...

Wildhog

He did get Deon Edwards.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike_e

How about this guy?

kirk Callahan? 

I know florida let him go after one year after getting torched by michigan but he's had a pretty good career at the position coaching and has fla recruiting ties.  Was the game against mi indicative or just the players giving up on their first year coach?

longpig

That's what I'm thinking, in the past couple years when contract reneg time rolls around, this happens with his staff members who underperformed. 

Wildhog

It will almost certainly be someone with Texas ties.
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:52:05 pm
It will almost certainly be someone with Texas ties.

I agree,  Bielema himself is our Florida tie, Smith is our Louisiana tie, Anderson and Mitchell the midwest.  We need another Texas guy and from what I saw, Mitchell surprisingly never recruited Texas much.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 01:57:29 pm
I agree,  Bielema himself is our Florida tie, Smith is our Louisiana tie, Anderson and Mitchell the midwest.  We need another Texas guy and from what I saw, Mitchell surprisingly never recruited Texas much.

Mitchell has recruited Texas extensively.  He's done very well down there.  The DFW area, specifically.
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:58:56 pm
Mitchell has recruited Texas extensively.  He's done very well down there.  The DFW area, specifically.

That's good to know. I didn't read that he had and figured he hasn't since all his previous coaching stops other than Lawrenceville are where they are.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 01:34:42 pm
This isn't a number supporting your argument, Homer. It is a great example of parts 1.) and 3.) of the definition though. :P

Your one reasoning behind which you believe Jennings great coach are passing yards allowed. Completely, ignoring anything else that affects those numbers. Such has if he team is playing with that lead or team having to pass more because of their in abilty to run against a defense. Of course TCU from 2008-2010 lead the nation in fewest yards allowed meaning there opponents had to pass more per game increases which can only result in more passing yards allowed. Ignoring that he had coached the Big 12 DPOY and future first round draft pick.

Even when provided this and in spite of its obvious faults and shortcomings. You continue to just rely on your opinion of passing yards allowed.

Now you could take the time an look for other stats to back your argument with stats such as defensive passing effeciency rankings, Ints, pass deflects or 3rd completion %. But we know you won't actually take the time because of 1 and 3.

longpig

February 17, 2016, 02:05:33 pm #183 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:18:46 pm by longpig
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 02:03:21 pm
Your one reasoning behind which you believe Jennings great coach are passing yards allowed. Completely, ignoring anything else that affects those numbers. Such has if he team is playing with that lead or team having to pass more because of their in abilty to run against a defense. Of course TCU from 2008-2010 lead the nation in fewest yards allowed meaning there opponents had to pass more per game increases which can only result in more passing yards allowed. Ignoring that he had coached the Big 12 DPOY and future first round draft pick.

Even when provided this and in spite of its obvious faults and shortcomings. You continue to just rely on your opinion of passing yards allowed.

Now you could take the time an look for other stats to back your argument with stats such as defensive passing effeciency rankings, Ints, pass deflects or 3rd completion %. But we know you won't actually take the time because of 1 and 3.

Apparently you can't either.

edit:  Not to be a grammar nazi, but I stopped counting  errors at 10. That's unacceptable.

Wildhog

February 17, 2016, 02:07:32 pm #184 Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:27:18 pm by Wildhog
Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 02:01:50 pm
That's good to know. I didn't read that he had and figured he hasn't since all his previous coaching stops other than Lawrenceville are where they are.

He actually already had a '17 RB commitment from Dallas - Parish Episcopal.
1909/1964/1965/1977

lilRockNDubb

Here it is we're thinking Cuffee came to recruit other recruits. He was recruiting the coach

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 02:07:32 pm
He actually already had a '17 RB commitment from Dalish - Parish Episcopal.

Dominic Williams

I'm not sure if the kid would flip but I hope we offer him soon.

Note: We are discussing a Kansas commitment whose lead recruiter is Coach Reggie Mitchell.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Just realized I typed "Dalish." 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 02:27:41 pm
Just realized I typed "Dalish."

Sad part is I knew exactly what you meant. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 02:33:14 pm
Sad part is I knew exactly what you meant. 

Houston Dalish?
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 17, 2016, 02:21:57 pm
Here it is we're thinking Cuffee came to recruit other recruits. He was recruiting the coach

It worked

ROASHE

Quote from: Mike_e on February 17, 2016, 01:51:00 pm
How about this guy?

kirk Callahan? 

I know florida let him go after one year after getting torched by michigan but he's had a pretty good career at the position coaching and has fla recruiting ties.  Was the game against mi indicative or just the players giving up on their first year coach?

According to the media in Florida, he was let go because teams were negative recruiting against him. He lost every player he was recruiting in the Florida class that just signed. Not sure he would be a great fit at Arkansas

Cure

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 01:00:58 pm
I always wanted us to bring in Henry eventually.  It's too soon, IMO, but CBB knows the situation a lot better than I do.
He did it for Strickland.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

PorkSoda

so I didnt want to believe it, but I guess its official.

do you think this may be why we struck out on putu and some other DB's as he was already considering a move

or did this not come into play until after signing day?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 17, 2016, 03:14:17 pm
so I didnt want to believe it, but I guess its official.

do you think this may be why we struck out on putu and some other DB's as he was already considering a move

or did this not come into play until after signing day?

I'd say it didn't hit the fan until Texas found out more on Chris Vaughn and kicked him to the curb.

hoglady

Darn!!
Better hire someone to shore up the Texas recruiting.
Well at least Michael Smith didn't get the LSU job.
But it sure seems like our coaches are always looking to go somewhere else.
Get it's just the nature of the business.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on February 17, 2016, 03:30:11 pm
Darn!!
Better hire someone to shore up the Texas recruiting.
Well at least Michael Smith didn't get the LSU job.
But it sure seems like our coaches are always looking to go somewhere else.
Get it's just the nature of the business.

Smith turned down the LSU job. Big difference.

TeufelHog

Cuffee must've "flipped him!"  HA!

kibster

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 04:09:05 pm
Smith turned down the LSU job. Big difference.

Do we know that is the case or is it that they chose to hire someone else?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

ricepig

Quote from: kibster on February 17, 2016, 04:19:59 pm
Do we know that is the case or is it that they chose to hire someone else?

Do we ever know for sure?