Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Jennings?

Started by Hogdomer, February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 16, 2016, 08:42:20 pm
It stings but I don't see how most fans don't see this as a positive. CBB hires established guys and up and comers, and they go on to be successful at other places. Not only does that prove he's a smart CEO type coach it shows guys interested in replacing them we are a "stepping stone", and if your a P5 college football assistant coach you are ALWAYS looking for a higher profile job and probably dream of being a head coach.

Jennings is a great coach; our lack of pass rush/LB's not covering well were a part of his problem. I've noticed our DB's look for the ball more now. He is also a well respected coach in the Texas high school circuit; I would strongly prefer to keep him.

He's a "great" coach? One could make an argument for good. Not sure about great
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

colbs

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 17, 2016, 10:52:52 am
Based on tweets from Kevin Richardson and Josh Liddell, I'd say Jennings is gone.

Richardson tweeted and Liddell retweeted "Life involves people coming and going, you'll always remember the impact some have had on you though."
Could mean anything but when 2 DB retweet it makes you think it might be true.

justmakeit2thebcs

It's amazing to me how everyone on this board and others are great judges of ability and character.  None of you know what makes a good DB coach, if you did you'd be a head coach at a very high level.  Pass yards allowed is not an indicator of DB coaching.  Football is the ultimate team sport.  If you want to look at stats, at least understand the correlations.  Sack percentage ranking equals opposing QB rating ranking.  Hogs were 99th in sack percentage and 99th in opposing QB rating.  Bama was 2nd & 3rd respectively.  Clemson, 3rd & 7th.  Texas 5th and 81th (perhaps the real reason Vaughn was fired).  Talent is more of an impact than coaching even in the Texas situation.

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on February 17, 2016, 11:33:01 am
Could mean anything but when 2 DB retweet it makes you think it might be true.

At this point I'm just assuming he's gone.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 10:56:15 am
Well, some reported he interviewed yesterday. I would consider 3 different sources confirm as him being a candidate as him being candidate

All I ever saw was Orangebloods saying he was a candidate, and two different sources stating that. I'm not saying he isn't leaving, or hasn't already accepted the job, just that three people confirming the same "tweet" doesn't mean shat. We all remember Chip saying that his high ranking "sources" has Sumlin gone at aTm, lol.

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 11:27:31 am
One thing to count on, Texas does not have a price range.

Everyone has a price range. Bumping the salary pool up to make a hire is a tedious PITA. They can just take Johnson for 200k less than Jennings.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 17, 2016, 11:28:46 am
You don't get out of Texas price range, they can pay what the want to, not what they can, take that to the bank. They can match anybody if they want to, deep, deep pockets on the forty acres. Problem is, they think everybody wants to coach down there for peanuts. The penultimate of arrogance.

No doubt they can afford it, but why would they bother?  Half their assistants are as accomplished as Jennings, it'll just rekindle the dumpster fire if they pay him substantially more than them.  There are lots of secondary coaches out there making a lot less than the 310k we're paying Jennings that are as good.  They'd have to come up with the 100k buyout too. 

longpig

Quote from: Polecat on February 17, 2016, 11:30:45 am
He's a "great" coach? One could make an argument for good. Not sure about great

Ditto, great guy by all accounts, zero argument for him being a great coach.

PorkRinds

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 11:57:36 am
Ditto, great guy by all accounts, zero argument for him being a great coach.

Except the sentiments of his players about what an impact he's made on their lives...

longpig

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 17, 2016, 11:34:19 am
It's amazing to me how everyone on this board and others are great judges of ability and character.  None of you know what makes a good DB coach, if you did you'd be a head coach at a very high level.  Pass yards allowed is not an indicator of DB coaching.  Football is the ultimate team sport.  If you want to look at stats, at least understand the correlations.  Sack percentage ranking equals opposing QB rating ranking.  Hogs were 99th in sack percentage and 99th in opposing QB rating.  Bama was 2nd & 3rd respectively.  Clemson, 3rd & 7th.  Texas 5th and 81th (perhaps the real reason Vaughn was fired).  Talent is more of an impact than coaching even in the Texas situation.

You're not telling anyone anything they don't already know, cuz.  Actually this is Hogville so you probably are.  You're right, our front 7 didn't regularly disrupt the QB before he could get the ball off, our coverage didn't buy them time either.  There was also a huge drop off in fundamentals among other things with the secondary from last season to this one, not just PYAs.

longpig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 12:01:11 pm
Except the sentiments of his players about what an impact he's made on their lives...

Which falls in the great guy category, doesn't it?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Just as an FYI Jennings salary is 352k. 310 was what we paid him the first year

WooPig90

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 12:07:57 pm

Its actually 350k

PorkRinds

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
Which falls in the great guy category, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.  Great coaches make a difference in their players' lives.

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2016, 12:07:57 pm

WOW, I bet that's as much or more than half the top secondary coaches out there.  Texas may be doing us a favor.

Chief Mac

Quote from: LZH on February 17, 2016, 05:29:21 am
What are you talking about? Over the past 18-20 years, Arkansas has been a hotbed of young assistants turning into very, very successful head coaches. Just look at all the success guys like Keith Burns, Paul Petrino, and Garrick McGee have had in their young head coaching careers. Between the three of them, they have averaged almost three wins per season. That old man on the dock would have told Forrest Gump "four more and you can have had a cocktail."

this got a chuckle out of me
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

colbs

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 17, 2016, 12:09:36 pm
Its actually 350k
Unless he just wants to leave I imagine they will have to pay him at least $400K and/or a longer contract and pay $100k buyout.

longpig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 12:13:37 pm
Not necessarily.  Great coaches make a difference in their players' lives.

Great coaches make a difference in players' performance on the field, great guys make a difference in players' lives. 

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:19:38 pm
Great coaches make a difference in players' performance on the field, great guys make a difference in players' lives. 

You may want to be careful what you wish for.  Jennings is a good coach and recruiter.  He'll be hard to replace.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:19:38 pm

I'd say he's done both, and his players would too.  But I disagree with your assessment.  I don't think you can be a great coach and only coach on the field performance. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 11:46:26 am
Everyone has a price range. Bumping the salary pool up to make a hire is a tedious PITA. They can just take Johnson for 200k less than Jennings.

You must be new at this game.  Texas doesn't take that approach, never has, never will. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 12:23:49 pm
You must be new at this game.  Texas doesn't take that approach, never has, never will.

I think his point is that if they overpay to get Jennings, that then pushes the entire coaching staff's salary level up.  Meaning giving him 200k more could cause them to end up giving everyone else a raise to that level within a short period of time.  Even Texas thinks that way at times.

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 11:54:39 am
No doubt they can afford it, but why would they bother?  Half their assistants are as accomplished as Jennings, it'll just rekindle the dumpster fire if they pay him substantially more than them.  There are lots of secondary coaches out there making a lot less than the 310k we're paying Jennings that are as good.  They'd have to come up with the 100k buyout too.

There is SOOOO much more that goes into hiring an assistant coach than what you are looking at.

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 17, 2016, 12:21:22 pm
You may want to be careful what you wish for.  Jennings is a good coach and recruiter.  He'll be hard to replace.

Easy Homer, noone's wishing for anything.  I'm just pointing out that Jennings may not be all that a lot of you want to think he is. 

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 12:26:18 pm
There is SOOOO much more that goes into hiring an assistant coach than what you are looking at.

Guarantee you I could make a list of desired qualities in a coach longer than yours.

Richard Davenport

It makes sense. Clay gets to be closer to his parents who live in Waco.  Strong family man.

Hearing it's all but official unless something drastic happens.

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 12:23:49 pm

Texas takes that approach just like everyone else, if not they would have 2 million dollar coordinators and 7 half million dollar position coaches to go along with their 5 million dollar HC , wouldn't they? 

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:32:42 pm
Texas takes that approach just like everyone else, if not they would have 2 million dollar coordinators and 7 half million dollar position coaches to go along with their 5 million dollar HC , wouldn't they? 

That would be Auburn or Bama, I wonder if Bama is still going to pay Bobby Williams $400,000/yr as the "special" assistant to Saban now that they kicked him out of a coaching position???

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:28:21 pm
Guarantee you I could make a list of desired qualities in a coach longer than yours.

Here, you want a cookie?  It appears from the comment I quoted before that you are just taking results and price as your evaluation tools. 

We've seen time and time again our HC pull quality guys out of left field that don't fit your previously quoted evaluation tools. 

Texas reportedly offered Saban 10,000,000....  let that sink in.  If Bill Belichick wanted 20,000,000 to coach UT next season, they would come up with it.  The only time price is an issue with UT is when the losses start to pile up after a hire.  If Charlie Strong wants Jennings and he tells his AD it will take 525,000 to get him his AD is going to sign off on it. 

Tyro3

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 17, 2016, 12:30:56 pm
It makes sense. Clay gets to be closer to his parents who live in Waco.  Strong family man.

This should answer the question.

Nosboar Accubond

longpig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 12:25:52 pm
I think his point is that if they overpay to get Jennings, that then pushes the entire coaching staff's salary level up.  Meaning giving him 200k more could cause them to end up giving everyone else a raise to that level within a short period of time.  Even Texas thinks that way at times.

Which would happen after a full season with a disgruntled coaching staff.  Not just in football either, for every coach in every sport of UT athletics. 

longpig

Quote from: Tyro3 on February 17, 2016, 12:40:56 pm
This should answer the question.

Hargreaves may be bullying him too. ;D

Polecat

Quote from: immahog on February 17, 2016, 12:37:13 pm
so is he gone or nah ?

Ya, pretty much unofficially gone. Looks like it will be official soon
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

colbs

Too bad Aaron Henry has already took a job at Rutgers.  I wouldn't have mind seeing him as Jennings replacement.

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on February 17, 2016, 12:49:14 pm
Too bad Aaron Henry has already took a job at Rutgers.  I wouldn't have mind seeing him as the new secondary coach if Jennings really does take the Texas job.

Well, it's not like we can't hire him away, if we wish to.

PorkRinds

Too bad Aaron Henry has already took a job at Rutgers.  I wouldn't have mind seeing him as Jennings replacement.
I like Henry, but we can do better.  He's not even a season out from being a GA.  We can get a guy with experience and Texas recruiting ties. 

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 17, 2016, 12:38:47 pm
Here, you want a cookie?  It appears from the comment I quoted before that you are just taking results and price as your evaluation tools. 

We've seen time and time again our HC pull quality guys out of left field that don't fit your previously quoted evaluation tools. 

Texas reportedly offered Saban 10,000,000....  let that sink in.  If Bill Belichick wanted 20,000,000 to coach UT next season, they would come up with it.  The only time price is an issue with UT is when the losses start to pile up after a hire.  If Charlie Strong wants Jennings and he tells his AD it will take 525,000 to get him his AD is going to sign off on it.

And what did we start those guys out of left field off at, as much or more than the best in the country?  NO.  A few of them didn't pan out either and Bielema didn't make efforts to keep them, which may be the case here. 

Dropkick

Tim Harris

At least we have something to keep us occupied until spring practice gets here.

colbs

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2016, 12:52:51 pm
I have to admit the coaching searches are pretty interesting. 

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2016, 12:52:51 pm

Hopefully, we have a complete staff by then, lol.

immahog

this

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 17, 2016, 12:26:43 pm
Easy Homer, noone's wishing for anything.  I'm just pointing out that Jennings may not be all that a lot of you want to think he is. 

lol, this guy thinks I'm a homer. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: immahog on February 17, 2016, 12:56:29 pm
this

If CBB wouldn't even consider Mateos because he was a GA, he's most likely not going to consider Henry.

ricepig

It will be official when MuBobby, or in our case, coolhog, says so.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 17, 2016, 12:30:56 pm

+

Perhaps, perhaps not.
I've read elsewhere that Jennings is asking for a 3 year deal and with Strong's current situation that UT officials might not be willing to give Jennings a 3 year deal.
We should know soon one way or the other, though.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

immahog

so who do we get now ??? may as well put some names out

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 17, 2016, 12:57:32 pm
If CBB wouldn't even consider Mateos because he was a GA, he's most likely not going to consider Henry.

I don't see anyway it ends up being Henry but the situations are completely different.  Henry is one of Bielemas guys.  He recruited him, coached him, etc...  I'm sure he looks at him completely different than he does Mateos.