Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Jennings?

Started by Hogdomer, February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogdomer

A Texas friend tells me his boards say Clay Jennings is interviewing there today for the same job.

Mike_e

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am
A Texas friend tells me his boards say Clay Jennings is interviewing there today for the same job.

Why, does he not like job security?
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

younghog

GO HOGS

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

younghog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 11:29:50 am
Taver was rumored to be the guy, but apparently they're not done looking.

Not buying it..

Just saying
GO HOGS

PorkRinds

Maybe he will get a raise and stay.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

I don't see what Coach Johnson or Coach Jennings have done to draw interest from Charlie.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 12:18:37 pm
I don't see what Coach Johnson or Coach Jennings have done to draw interest from Charlie.

I think they're both good. I liked Taver and like Jennings now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 16, 2016, 12:22:08 pm #10 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:42:36 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
If Chris Vaughn screws us again

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 12:19:24 pm
I think they're both good. I liked Taver and like Jennings now.

They're both very likeable and well spoken Coaches, but they work in programs ranked 84th and 110th in passing defense.

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 12:26:19 pm
They're both very likeable and well spoken Coaches, but they're 84th and 110th in passing defense.

A LOT of our woes against the pass this year were on the LB's.  They were atrocious.
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 12:27:24 pm
A LOT of our woes against the pass this year were on the LB's.  They were atrocious.

Likely most the blame, 110th though.  What was our passing defense ranked end of 2014?

Wildhog

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 12:28:54 pm
Likely most the blame, 110th though.  What was our passing defense ranked end of 2014?

37th in 2014.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Scott7703

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 12:28:54 pm

Yeah really most of the blame should fall on them. We have 2 guys great against the run but couldn't cover me going down the middle if there lives depended on it. Add in the fact that we got zero pressure on the quarterback early on and there is most of the problem. Now, there were coverage break downs as there always will be but remember these were the same d backs who were praised when they had the three big guns pressuring the QB.

longpig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 12:31:00 pm
37th in 2014.

The top prospects must not be interested in working for Charlie.

JackJohnson

IF he is indeed publically interviewing, then he is most likely gone.  It is one thing to be mentioned for jobs, but another one altogether to formally interview.

Really don't want to lose him.  He is one of the small handful of coaches on our staff that isn't complete dead weight on the recruiting trail.  We got rid of one in Singleton and replaced him with what appears to be a MAJOR upgrade in Mitchell.  Don't want to have to worry about another downgrade

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 12:27:24 pm

Coach B and Robb Smith BOTH talked about problems with our "fits between LB's and S's" in our pass defense.

I continue to NOT understand why this concept is so difficult for so many on here to grasp. 

Today's complex passing offenses and complex pass route trees require complex fits in coverage, and the need to vary those coverages down to down, series to series.

So many fans see our D giving up huge chunks of passing yardage and think "our DB's suck", but it's nowhere near that simple.

Our weak, inconsistent pass rush last fall also played a big role in what we saw.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 12:57:57 pm
The top prospects must not be interested in working for Charlie.

? 37 is really good especially in the SEC. Clay also had some really good secondary play at TCU as well.

Cure

Clay Jennings is not a staff member Arkansas would want to lose.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Cure on February 16, 2016, 02:17:47 pm
Clay Jennings is not a staff member Arkansas would want to lose.

Agreed. He would be a big loss

longpig

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 16, 2016, 01:18:27 pm
IF he is indeed publically interviewing, then he is most likely gone.  It is one thing to be mentioned for jobs, but another one altogether to formally interview.

Really don't want to lose him.  He is one of the small handful of coaches on our staff that isn't complete dead weight on the recruiting trail.  We got rid of one in Singleton and replaced him with what appears to be a MAJOR upgrade in Mitchell.  Don't want to have to worry about another downgrade

The ticker hasn't mentioned it.

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 02:08:02 pm
? 37 is really good especially in the SEC. Clay also had some really good secondary play at TCU as well.

I would consider 37  good (not great) in a strong passing conference, which the SEC isn't.  Would be really good at TCU, which was ranked #1 nationally in passing yards allowed his first season there, 57, 59 and 65 his last 3. 

Wildhog

According to FootballScoop, Jennings and Taver Johnson are the two finalists.  Which is basically what we thought, anyway.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 16, 2016, 02:45:43 pm
According to FootballScoop, Jennings and Taver Johnson are the two finalists.  Which is basically what we thought, anyway.

If it comes down to money, they can pay more than us if they choose. Jennings made $50,000 more than Vaughan, but Texass has already matched aTm on the salary offered for their DL coach.

longpig

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 02:53:01 pm
If it comes down to money, they can pay more than us if they choose. Jennings made $50,000 more than Vaughan, but Texass has already matched aTm on the salary offered for their DL coach.

May not be much left for a DB coach if they keep Haley. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 02:37:33 pm
I would consider 37  good (not great) in a strong passing conference, which the SEC isn't.  Would be really good at TCU, which was ranked #1 nationally in passing yards allowed his first season there, 57, 59 and 65 his last 3. 

I disagree 37 exceptional. It was 23 out of all P5 conference teams. The SEC that year wasn't a bad passing league and we played T Tech out of conference.

But, it's cool you don't think Jennings would be a loss. I think he would be a huge loss.

If he leaves I hope you are right and I am wrong.

longpig

I saw where Purdue is paying Johnson 225k, may be more in their budget than Jennings.

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 16, 2016, 01:47:42 pm
Coach B and Robb Smith BOTH talked about problems with our "fits between LB's and S's" in our pass defense.

I continue to NOT understand why this concept is so difficult for so many on here to grasp. 

Today's complex passing offenses and complex pass route trees require complex fits in coverage, and the need to vary those coverages down to down, series to series.

So many fans see our D giving up huge chunks of passing yardage and think "our DB's suck", but it's nowhere near that simple.

Our weak, inconsistent pass rush last fall also played a big role in what we saw.

very solid post! 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 03:19:48 pm
I saw where Purdue is paying Johnson 225k, may be more in their budget than Jennings.

I'm sure with a football program that produces like 71 mill in profit a year they can come up with a couple hundred K. If they really want to.

Hope Taver knocks their socks off

rhog1

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 03:08:36 pm
I disagree 37 exceptional. It was 23 out of all P5 conference teams. The SEC that year wasn't a bad passing league and we played T Tech out of conference.

But, it's cool you don't think Jennings would be a loss. I think he would be a huge loss.

If he leaves I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Easy homer, all I'm doing is pointing out that it's interesting for a big budget school like Texas to be going after a coach who's record is less than impressive.

Scott7703

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 02:53:01 pm

Doesn't Jennings have 100k buyout?

ricepig

Quote from: rhog1 on February 16, 2016, 03:26:56 pm
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Footballscoop is now reporting on Jennings being in the running for the Texas job. Along with Taver Johnson.

Yeah, already mentioned. It sure seems that the coaching turnover at every school has gotten progressively worse the last few years, I'm sure it's tied to the big money.

ricepig

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 16, 2016, 03:29:28 pm

Doesn't Jennings have 100k buyout?

Yes, we may make another $100,000!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 03:27:54 pm

Easy homer, all I'm doing is pointing out that it's interesting for a big budget school like Texas to be going after a coach who's record is less than impressive.

I don't think his record is less than impressive.

Razorpigg

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:31:17 pm

Thats sure one way to look at it hahaha

PorkRinds

A fat raise and stability in employment may be enough and it may not. I hate Texas.

rhog1

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:30:48 pm
Yeah, already mentioned. It sure seems that the coaching turnover at every school has gotten progressively worse the last few years, I'm sure it's tied to the big money.
It is odd. We have lost a lot of assistant coaches the last few years.
Glad we appear to be keeping Michael Smith though. We are just starting to see the benefits of his Louisiana recruiting. 

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 16, 2016, 03:34:03 pm
A fat raise and stability in employment may be enough and it may not. I hate Texas.

It's one thing to have your name mentioned, and another to be "interviewing", if there's any truth to that.

longpig

Maybe we can get decent audio for the press room now.

ricepig

Quote from: rhog1 on February 16, 2016, 03:35:14 pm
It is odd. We have lost a lot of assistant coaches the last few years.
Glad we appear to be keeping Michael Smith though. We are just starting to see the benefits of his Louisiana recruiting. 

Auburn has lost 8 in the last 2 years, it's every team, these days.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:36:47 pm
It's one thing to have your name mentioned, and another to be "interviewing", if there's any truth to that.

I think we were told Smith interviewed at LSU as well. If he interviewed he's obviously interested.  But first they have to offer him and we would counter most likely and try to keep him.  You never know what the personal dynamics are. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:38:14 pm

Yep. Ole Gus has lost a lot of ppl and only 2 got promotions

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Graphic-A-look-at-the-Auburn-staff-turnover-under-Gus-Malzahn

longpig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 16, 2016, 03:33:00 pm
I don't think his record is less than impressive.

So far he's done pretty well with inherited players, has only gone down with his own.  Hopefully that changes if he stays. 

Scott7703

Lol well at least we get something if he bolts. I know there has to be a draw with Jennings being a Texas guy but is Texas really the place you want to leave stability for at this point?

longpig

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2016, 03:38:14 pm

Gus likes them young. What's his latest WR/co OC hire , 28/29?

Hogdomer

Jennings brought in Cuffee and Jones for an official visit.  Cuffee obviously had no intention of coming here and reportedly did what he could to get guys to Texas.  Jones also went to Texas.  I realize it's speculation but I wonder if these things are related?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on February 16, 2016, 03:43:01 pm
So far he's done pretty well with inherited players, has only gone down with his own.  Hopefully that changes if he stays. 

His history with Jason verrett goes against that IMO. Jennings recruit First round pick and Big 12 DPOY.

But again as I said before it's cool you don't think Jennings would be a loss. I think he would be a huge loss.