Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will it take for arkansas to finally win an SEC title game?

Started by Ben, February 15, 2016, 04:01:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Kig on February 16, 2016, 10:40:15 am
Denver showed it this year in the NFL.  BAMA does it in most years. Defense.

Unfortunately, our Defense was atrocious last year and returns almost intact. 

I'll be you a six pack of your favorite beverage our D is top half of the SEC this fall, total D and scoring D.

Fair warning: I'm undefeated in these predictions.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Mike_e

1st  More quality depth.

2nd  More quality depth.

3rd  A really good senior QB whose senior year coincides with a favorable home schedule.  A really good junior QB with a breakout year and the same favorable home schedule would work.

4th  Offense and defense both being good in the same year.

5th and most important  No backsliding!  If we can continue to make improvement we'll be in the championship rotation.

Some of y'all keep harping on recruiting top talent and to a limited extent this is true.  What too many forget is that football is a TEAM game and and the Razorbacks are a COLLEGE team.  The young men that play are still growing and learning and unlike the NFL, or the rare 5* that has already reached his potential in high school, they are going to progress.

This means that  kids with the same abilities in balance, quick twitch muscles, football IQ, desire and discipline will be the equal of those  'rare' 5 star players when they too fully mature.  Maybe they aren't the most glamorous recruits coming out of HS but if they have the same underlying talents they will eventually catch up to those rated higher.  And in some cases pass them due to having a better work ethic.

Couple that with a few actual freaks of nature and some luck and you have a championship team.

Easy to say I know but we can see the mountain top from here, we just have to keep climbing.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

go hogues

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 16, 2016, 11:33:15 am
I'll be you a six pack of your favorite beverage out D is top half of the SEC this fall, total D and scoring D.

Huh?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

code red

I know what it would have "took"......to defend and 2 pt play vs A&M...don't fake it vs. Bama (esp on our side of the 50) and kick a FG vs State and we are there.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 16, 2016, 11:33:15 am
I'll be you a six pack of your favorite beverage out D is top half of the SEC this fall, total D and scoring D.

I'd take that bet.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: code red on February 16, 2016, 01:51:51 pm
I'd take that bet.

I'm sure you and a lot of others will.

I think our D suffered last fall by "death from a thousand cuts", meaning it was many things adding together to produce horrible results in our pass D.

This fall, I think we'll have:

-healthy, experienced CB's (which we lacked last fall to a significant degree)
-a year of experience under the belts of Greenlaw, Liddell, Ramirez, Richardson, Hackett, Pulley, which should play a positive role
-hopefully getting Ellis back to his more natural position
-improved LB depth, from some nice freshmen, if nothing else
-better pass rush, hopefully from Bell/Graham, but expected from Agim
-another year of staff stability should also help

IMO a little help here, a little help there could go a long way to seeing big differences on the field this fall.

The two biggest keys IMO are: finding that third LB to produce, getting improved safety play, and I think that's the most critical.  We've got to get solid S play or we're going to have another porous pass D this fall.  But I'm betting on at least some improvement from that group -- experience is a biggie at S.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

colbs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 16, 2016, 11:08:53 am
The SEC is going to take a big hit in week 1 next season regarding the SEC vs. the ACC aspect.  Ole Miss and Auburn have their work cut out for them in week 1.  Ole Miss and Auburn will be facing too much elite talent in week 1.

There is most likely going to be a statement made to the State of Alabama and a message sent to the team in Tuscaloosa by the team in Orange and White in Jordan-Hare stadium in Auburn in week 1.
Yawn

trphog

Fielding a team that simultaneously produces the efforts of the 2014 defense and the 2015 offense

HotlantaHog

Beating Alabama. Otherwise, even a 7-1 record probably doesn't get into the SEC championship game .... When was the last time the Hogs beat Alabama? Under Nutt I think when the Springdale freshman was QB?

elksnort

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 16, 2016, 03:44:32 pm
Beating Alabama. Otherwise, even a 7-1 record probably doesn't get into the SEC championship game .... When was the last time the Hogs beat Alabama? Under Nutt I think when the Springdale freshman was QB?
Yes, 2006 at Fayetteville.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Redbug

#1 a stud QB with enough skill player threats to be dangerous from anywhere on the field along with an OC that's looking for and willing to "go for the kill" early and often....looking to bury the opponent...and a HC that allows them to do so...

#2 a nasty dominating defense that attacks from the opening play and takes no prisoners...they're not worried about occasionally giving up a big play because their offense is gonna score 40 or 50. They are constantly putting the opposition in 2nd and 3rd and long situations and produce lots of 3 and outs....The opposing offense is spending more time just trying to survive and get on track and has little to no time to get in any kind of rhythm or put their game plan into effect.

so in summary...

Top 3 in the SEC QB and a dominating defense....that'll get us a SEC 'ship

jgphillips3

Scoring more points than the other team in the game.

Seriously though, you have to have quality depth and no injuries to key starters.  The East is nowhere near the equal of the West right now.  If we make it through the SEC West (and conference schedule) at 7-1, we will win the title game.

Nashville Fan

We need our Sternover moment (if look at it from the TN perspective) to come against AL instead of MS. Almost every NC has one.
Pittman or Bust!

Murr

Murr

Quote from: Ben on February 15, 2016, 04:01:40 pm
What will it take for arkansas to finally win an SEC title game?

1. Solid QB play.  Must be able to win a game when needed.
2. Beat Alabama.  They are the king of the mountain. #BeUncommon and knock them off.
3. Depth. on all three sides of the ball.
4. Not seeing Georgia or Florida in Atlanta.  Ref's always side with them bastages over us for some reason.

RockyMtnHog

"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

TNRazorbacker

I think the stars need to align just right. Needs to be an LSU and Bama at home year. At least one of them needs to be in a down year. Need to have a weak or down East opponent. Arkansas needs to be in an up year and have an experienced roster. I say they'll either need at least 2 top 10ish recruiting classes in the previous 3 years, or 2 top 15ish and an all SEC caliber QB. Both would be really nice. They also need a number of lucky breaks to go their way.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: fullfan on February 15, 2016, 07:25:16 pm
1. Saban retirement
2. A year where 6-2 wins the west.
3. A fluke year where Vandy, KY, or SC win the East.

The year all 3 above line up Hogs are SEC Champs.

It has to be an even numbered year with Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss at home and Bama has to lose in RRS.

UF or UGa isn't the rotating opponent.

Arkansas sweeps the non-conference schedule or has a respectable loss on the road to a Big-5 school where an Arkansas win in Atlanta does not threaten to leave the SEC out of the playoff.

Combine those three and Arkansas will be likely to win in Atlanta.

Murr

lumphog

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Redbug on February 16, 2016, 05:04:58 pm
#2 a nasty dominating defense that attacks from the opening play and takes no prisoners...

I guess you haven't noticed, but what you describe here does not exist any more in CFB.  Bama had a great defense this year, as did Clemson, and you saw what the offenses did to them in the NC game.

The defense we put on the field in 2014 was a really good D, but nowhere near what you dream of.  But it was good enough to win an SECC.

lutherheggs

Our day will come. Then we'll have everything. We'll share the joy.
Our day will come. If we just wait a while. No tears for us. Think love and wear a smile.

jesterzzn

A group of seniors with the talent and experience to make it happen.  Coaches don't win championships.  They can develop champions, but there has to be a group come through that takes it from Alabama, LSU or whoever.

I remember watching Arkansas's Track team when I was in school, and the way they acted was just different from the other schools.  They would go take away events from better athletes.  They intimidated other teams.  Until we get that, and until we start imposing our will on others, we won't win a championship.  SEC or otherwise.

reddogjcss

bvillepig

Game changing defense.

A future NFL 1st rounder defensive lineman, NFL linebacker and a lockdown corner plus a future NFL safety.

Punter who can flip the field and a great FG kicker.  Plus a few lucky bounces and calls.

kp72204

hogcard1964

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 15, 2016, 06:09:50 pm
Big 10  <  SEC

+1000

How come nobody is talking about how good or "improved" the Big 10 is this year?

jackflash

I think for us to win it all were going to have to improve are defense at CB and Safety

nwahogfan1

Quote from: go hogues on February 15, 2016, 04:14:11 pm
A bunch of lucky breaks. We'll need an even year where we get Bama and LSU at home and they'll both need to be on some kind of downturn or probation.

I definitely agree on the lucky breaks.  We need to be lucky.  But at the same time consistent luck follows well coached talented teams.

I just don't think we will out recruit the Bama's, LSU's and some of the more elite teams in the SEC but when we get a year that we are playing with experienced mostly jr's and sr's and they are playing with younger players then I think we have an excellent chance.

colbs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 22, 2016, 08:41:15 am
+1000

How come nobody is talking about how good or "improved" the Big 10 is this year?
It's really the SEC then everyone else.  I think the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and the ACC are all pretty close.  Not sure why people think the Big 10 is so much worse than all the other conferences.  Ohio St, Michigan St, and Iowa were all pretty good.  The main thing that makes the SEC better is there middle of the pack teams would probably finish in the upper part of other conferences.