Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you say it would be unethical if...

Started by GalaHawg, August 28, 2017, 08:02:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GalaHawg

CBB would personally donate 200K to JJ Watt's help fund for Houston flood victims with the intention to create publicity for the Razorbacks to influence recruits and highschool coaches in the area?

The Hawg Marshal

I think that's a crappy reason to donate money.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: GalaHawg on August 28, 2017, 08:02:17 pm
CBB would personally donate 200K to JJ Watt's help fund for Houston flood victims with the intention to create publicity for the Razorbacks to influence recruits and highschool coaches in the area?

Why would CBB pitch in 200K when Watt only pitched in 100K....

How about Sumlin, Herrmann, Little Nicky, and any other NCAA HC?

Com'on you can do a little betta'!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

31to6

People's lives are shattered and some have even died and the question is "can we use this to benefit recruiting"?

SMH

mhuff

August 29, 2017, 07:43:47 am #4 Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:12:59 am by mhuff
Obviously the man wasn'in his right mind when he spoke. Perhaps he can be man enough to apologize for his mistake. It is a lesson to us all that the power of the tongue can ruin relationships that took years to make in a few seconds of unthought words. In any circumstance the appropriate move might an anonymous donation. But then we couldn't get our tax deductions could we? Well it's all right to get your tax deduction. Just good to give for the right reasons.

Perhaps this careless statement can turn into good. When Rita hit Louisiana several years ago the devastation was unbearable. Stores that had been there before were now nothing but a concrete slab. People lost everything they owned. Ever been in a bind before. These people lost everything!!! How about we pitch in and help these people in the Houston - Louisiana area. You know give what you can give. Too often we do nothing until it hits close to home.

jkstock04

Celebrities and high profile people do this...that's why they make sure their name is out there with a stamp on it when they donate...simple fan fare. In the end it still goes to a good cause which is what matters the most...so I say no not unethical, despite being tacky.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RazorBassin

A guy can drop 200K to charity and still be vilified...how is that possible?  I get it, but even if he had ulterior motive, he still dropped 200k to charity to benefit those stricken by the tragedy.  Not saying I agree with publicizing that, but what can you do now.

theFlyingHog

A lot of people were villifying Budweiser for stopping beer production to can water for Texas. Said they were only doing it for a tax break. There's some morans out there for sure

GalaHawg

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 28, 2017, 08:59:55 pm
I think that's a crappy reason to donate money.

Would the people who benefit from the donation care about the alterior motive?

GalaHawg

Quote from: 31to6 on August 28, 2017, 11:06:11 pm
People's lives are shattered and some have even died and the question is "can we use this to benefit recruiting"?

SMH

The question is more like "can we help (not use) these people to help ourselves?"

island hog

Our area will gladly take all the help it can get. As a Hog fan, I'd rather see the University make a donation if one is made. There are many students from the Houston area that are on the hill and it would be a good reason to do so.  Don't do it, however, if it's not for the right reasons.

MissippHog

Quote from: GalaHawg on August 29, 2017, 11:52:11 am
I haven't been in that type of situation, but if it were me needing the assistance, I would take it regardless of the reasons behind it.

31to6

Quote from: GalaHawg on August 29, 2017, 11:53:55 am
The question is more like "can we help (not use) these people to help ourselves?"
Why not just help them <full stop> ?

Sometimes, the right thing is to just do a decent thing without any anticipation of reward or recognition....

If CBB does or does not donate, I would hope this would be an instance where he wouldn't tweet about it and make a big deal unless he did it as a challenge to others to motivate more giving. "I am donating X and I challenge my brothers in the coaching fraternity to donate, however much or little they can."

But if he is just donating. Or if the school does. No huge fanfare. Just help the people out.

No, they will not care if someone gets publicity or had an ulterior motive for the giving. A drowning man doesn't scrutinize the resume of the person throwing the lifeline to him. But this is a situation where a modicum of class and decorum is appropriate.

Also, the UA and Arkansas gained far more goodwill during Katrina just by being decent people and opening their homes and helping those who were displaced at a quiet, local level than we ever could have by making a big fanfare.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 28, 2017, 09:23:04 pm
Why would CBB pitch in 200K when Watt only pitched in 100K....

How about Sumlin, Herrmann, Little Nicky, and any other NCAA HC?

Com'on you can do a little betta'!

How bout all of em? Those people are hurting...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mhuff on August 29, 2017, 07:43:47 am
Obviously the man wasn'in his right mind when he spoke. Perhaps he can be man enough to apologize for his mistake. It is a lesson to us all that the power of the tongue can ruin relationships that took years to make in a few seconds of unthought words. In any circumstance the appropriate move might an anonymous donation. But then we couldn't get our tax deductions could we? Well it's all right to get your tax deduction. Just good to give for the right reasons.

Perhaps this careless statement can turn into good. When Rita hit Louisiana several years ago the devastation was unbearable. Stores that had been there before were now nothing but a concrete slab. People lost everything they owned. Ever been in a bind before. These people lost everything!!! How about we pitch in and help these people in the Houston - Louisiana area. You know give what you can give. Too often we do nothing until it hits close to home.
huh? who are you talking about?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The Hawg Marshal

Whether they care about the ulterior motive or not is not the point.

tophawg19

In theory , the plan wouldn't work anyway. many of the kids we have interest in likely won't get to play ball for most of this year . the ones that do likely will play somewhere else . many schools have been damaged during this and will take a long time to recover
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawghiggs

No. That's not a good idea. What the state of Arkansas should do is find away to help about 500k people relocate to Arkansas. This might actually make a difference in the long run.

Trey1981

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on August 30, 2017, 04:35:02 pm
Whether they care about the ulterior motive or not is not the point.

THIS.  I feel like I should take a shower after reading this thread.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

This post speaks volumes about your character.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Wildhog

Not sure it matters what the motive is.  They need all the help they can get, regardless.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamSammich

It would be better if the razorbacks ad sent hundreds of arkansas shirts and jerseys to coach Sampson of UH. He and his team are taking athletic clothing donations and hand delivering them to kids that have no clothing. Might I add to kids that are in prime football territory.....

I can see hundreds of kids a day running around in arkansas jerseys.

I emptied out my closets and took all my families extras downtown to donate today. Clothing and shelter is what we need atm.

FBREW000

this thread op could have been answered quickly, without all the judging etal.

Yes, it would be unethical...

hawganatic

Reading through this thread a lot seem to think that it's better to not donate, than to donate for the wrong reasons.

Help is help, it doesn't matter what that person receives on the back end.  If Beliema called the high school coaches in the area and said he would donate (insert whatever) to their area if they promised to funnel athletes to the program I could call that unethical, but just giving a donation with no direct strings from the other side, I just don't see a problem with it.  If we get some kind of benefit on the back end of it, then so be it.

The Hawg Marshal

Nobody is arguing that they don't need the help(money). The OP said donate with the "intention to create publicity for the Razorbacks to influence recruits and highschool coaches in the area". If your intention for doing something good for someone is based on getting something in return, then you deserve nothing in return. imo