Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D. Cousins to.....

Started by Hogbody, April 08, 2009, 09:58:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogbody

rude1

Cal paying dividends already. I suspect this won't be last kid to follow Cal to KY. Looks like just like that KY basketball is back. Hard to watch them fix their basketball program while we hold our noses and hope for the best.

Oliver

It's looking as if the SEC is going to be known as "Kentucky and everybody else" in about 2 years.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 08, 2009, 10:10:37 am
It's looking as if the SEC is going to be known as "Kentucky and everybody else" in about 2 years.

That would be a return to longstanding SEC tradition - unfortunately.

Hogbody

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 08, 2009, 10:10:37 am

If Meeks does come back and depending on what other recruits they get it could be just next year.

donewithdale

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 08, 2009, 10:16:11 am
That would be a return to longstanding SEC tradition - unfortunately.

Its good for the conference.  More national respect which leads to better consideration and seedings.  Programs have already been upgrading across the conference with coaching changes like at UT, LSU and SC, facilities like the new arenas at AU, SC, UT's renovation, practice facilities at OM, AU, Fl, UK etc.   Even UGa's admin is trying with a coaching change and plans for renovating Stegman even though they need a new arena.

For Ark fans, especially the ones screaming for change, UK's re-emergence will cause it.  Its a good thing.  Hopefully, Long will find the money he needs to do the upgrades whether its us finally joining the others with practice facilities or whatever recruits want and/or a coaching change. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: rude1 on April 08, 2009, 10:08:59 am
Cal paying dividends already. I suspect this won't be last kid to follow Cal to KY. Looks like just like that KY basketball is back. Hard to watch them fix their basketball program while we hold our noses and hope for the best.

Id rather not cheat to get my players though
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

donewithdale

Quote from: rude1 on April 08, 2009, 10:08:59 am

Who are the best recruiters in college basketball?  The coaches you could put nearly anywhere and they would be able to recruit elite players.  We have to factor in connections to AAU coaches/mentors/agents whatever.

Calipari is obviously one.  You could put him at DePaul or St John's or Florida St or Texas A&M or wherever and the guy would end up moving the pipeline there.  You mentioned Pearl earlier.  Pitino, Donovan,Self..?  Do you include Roy when he has been at programs that have the elite tradition that draws the elite players?  Just curious as to some of the others as I sincerely don't know now that recruiting elite players has changed so much.  It certainly appears that its often not based on the quality of education or the university and what it has to offer any longer.  And who are some of the AAU 'delivery men' I guess we can call them since they deliver players to different programs?

How do we find a top assistant or a new head coach that has the right connections?

The_Iceman

How in God's green earth are we going to be able to stop both Patterson and Cousins?

We will get destroyed inside against them if our guys do not hit the weights and start eating like football players do.

pitbull1

Surprise Surprise!!  Kentucky won't lose their first game this year, and probably not too many others  either.

catfanNar

Quote from: chiefsfan on April 08, 2009, 10:40:47 am
Cal has ZERO infractions on his resume. Now how has he "cheated" to get his players?

rude1

Quote from: catfanNar on April 08, 2009, 07:06:07 pm
Cal has ZERO infractions on his resume. Now how has he "cheated" to get his players?
That's just sour grapes IMO. If he hasn't been found to be cheating, I think it is completely wrong to be insinuating that he is cheating to get it done. He wasn't recruiting like this when he first got to Memphis, so it is obviously something he has built over the last few years.

catfanNar

Quote from: rude1 on April 08, 2009, 07:22:20 pm
That's just sour grapes IMO. If he hasn't been found to be cheating, I think it is completely wrong to be insinuating that he is cheating to get it done. He wasn't recruiting like this when he first got to Memphis, so it is obviously something he has built over the last few years.
He changed to the dribble drive motion offense in 2005. This is probably why the recruits started coming to Memphis.

donewithdale

Quote from: catfanNar on April 08, 2009, 07:29:02 pm
He changed to the dribble drive motion offense in 2005. This is probably why the recruits started coming to Memphis.

It helped.  And these things are legal: hiring star players' fathers, allowing brothers to walkon and most importantly connections to AAU "delivery men" have also helped. 

If I were a fan of UK basketball, I would be thrilled with Cal and these recruits.  Seriously, it would be awesome to follow a program that had a coach that would have star recruits follow him through the connections.

If I were a alumnus of UK, I would also wonder about my university being whored as a basketball developmental stop for kids that don't care about an education.  But that is big time basketball and its not going to change anytime soon.  Might as well win.

outkast217

As a Cat fan, I am loving this!  We haven't really had an effective big man in a few years.  While he hasn't been proven at the collegiate level yet, I think he'll be OK!
OutKast

outkast217

So you got anything to prove this?  Put up or shut up....
OutKast

PoormansRobbyHampton

I can't speak for what Cal has done/did at Memphis, that Fedex program is apparently legit. But how's he cheated at Kentucky?

Honestly? After watching amateur hour last year, I wouldn't mind a little foul play if we could cover it up like Calipari has, if he's even done it.

I'm more inclined to believe that he has an NBA-friendly system and is a charismatic personality. I'm not a fan personally, but I can see why recruits would line up to play for him. He sends guys to the NBA en masse, why wouldn't I want to be a part of it?

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: catfanNar on April 08, 2009, 07:06:07 pm

Well, the NCAA did vacate his Final Four at UMass...

catfanNar

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on April 09, 2009, 02:49:33 am
Well, the NCAA did vacate his Final Four at UMass...
Marcus Camby took money from an agent, nothing to do with Cal

Wild Bill Hog

Is Cousins the guy that hasn't taken the ACT yet?  I know one of Mfs' top recruits had not taken the ACT and was questionable academically.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: outkast217 on April 08, 2009, 09:30:29 pm
As a Cat fan, I am loving this!  We haven't really had an effective big man in a few years.  While he hasn't been proven at the collegiate level yet, I think he'll be OK!

i thought Patterson was pretty effective the last couple of seasons.   if Patterson stays he and Cousins will be a good duo on the inside.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: catfanNar on April 09, 2009, 01:33:02 pm
Marcus Camby took money from an agent, nothing to do with Cal

If he was not the Kentucky coach, you wouldn't believe that any more than the rest of us.

Cal is scum for accepting recruits at Kentucky that he spent Tiger High's money to recruit. Most hog fans want Kentucky and Arkansas to be great, but lets get back there with class. Getting the Kentucky job because you can promise to deliver a great recruiting class recruited at another school, will open up a Pandora's box that will not soon be closed before all of college basketball is in the gutter. :puke:
Good is the enemy of great

catfanNar

Quote from: rzrbackrob on April 09, 2009, 06:01:11 pm
If he was not the Kentucky coach, you wouldn't believe that any more than the rest of us.

Cal is scum for accepting recruits at Kentucky that he spent Tiger High's money to recruit. Most hog fans want Kentucky and Arkansas to be great, but lets get back there with class. Getting the Kentucky job because you can promise to deliver a great recruiting class recruited at another school, will open up a Pandora's box that will not soon be closed before all of college basketball is in the gutter. :puke:
And if he was the Arkansas coach you wouldn't be saying anything either I suppose.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: catfanNar on April 09, 2009, 06:38:28 pm
And if he was the Arkansas coach you wouldn't be saying anything either I suppose.

I would be uncomfortable with it, but honestly I would probably rationalize it like the Kentucky fans are doing. Case in point is the warning Arkansas fans get about Petrino.
Good is the enemy of great

outkast217

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 09, 2009, 05:21:46 pm
i thought Patterson was pretty effective the last couple of seasons.   if Patterson stays he and Cousins will be a good duo on the inside.

I agree completely.  Patterson is a great player, but he could benefit from a true big man in the middle.  As you said, put them together and it would be a great duo.
OutKast

Darren DeLoach

i have always thought of calipari as a less than honest individual...but if he were our coach...i would bite my lip...and call the hogs...and count the trophies...congrats kentucky on the re-birth of a power...i hope your boy, pel,  can right our ship and we can both be titans in the sport again...the league needs us and the game of college basketball needs us both to be great
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

heathtits

The pathetic thing is you think we are playing honest.

The more pathetic thing is we still can't get anyone to come here.

BTW is Orton confirmed as staying? If he sticks around, with Cousins, that is a nasty future for that program.

outkast217

Quote from: heathtits on April 10, 2009, 10:54:17 am
The pathetic thing is you think we are playing honest.

The more pathetic thing is we still can't get anyone to come here.

BTW is Orton confirmed as staying? If he sticks around, with Cousins, that is a nasty future for that program.

As of now he says he is staying and has not asked anyone for a release.  That remains to be seen, if he does stay there'll be power in the blocks!
OutKast

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: outkast217 on April 10, 2009, 12:34:21 pm
As of now he says he is staying and has not asked anyone for a release.  That remains to be seen, if he does stay there'll be power in the blocks!

if Orton does stay Kentucky will go deep in the tournament with Patterson, Cousins and Orton in the post

jbcarol

Plus they would have Pilgrim and Perry off the bench as well. Perry was a 35+ minute man last year.

If they could start Word of God point guard Wall with Henry, Meeks, and that front line, they could make some noise.

Nolan Dennis, Bledsoe, Miller, Hood, and maybe Sr. Ramon Harris off the bench.  Galloway could replace Bledsoe as well.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net