Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And Memphis finally hires...

Started by Brass Knob, April 06, 2009, 05:41:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass Knob

An assistant under Calipari, Josh Pastner... He is young, only 31 but is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.  Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4047664

ruarealhogfan

Wow. Wonder if our coaching search could have gone that well...

HogBreath

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 06, 2009, 05:41:00 pm
An assistant under Calipari, Josh Pastner... He is young, only 31 but is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.  Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4047664
Didn't Josh's little brother Ross sign on to play football for Coach Petrino?  They're from Waco I believe.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Jeephog

rzrbackrob

Best they could do under the circumstances. If he does well, maybe Arkansas will have another coach to choose from when the time comes.
Good is the enemy of great

Oklahawg

Quote from: HogBreath on April 06, 2009, 06:18:35 pm
Didn't Josh's little brother Ross sign on to play football for Coach Petrino?  They're from Waco I believe.

Rasner. Ross Rasner. No relation that I'm aware of.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogBreath

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 06, 2009, 06:35:01 pm
Rasner. Ross Rasner. No relation that I'm aware of.
Oohhhhh....Rasner not Pastner, I guess Pastner is not from Waco either?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Brass Knob

Quote from: Jeephog on April 06, 2009, 06:28:05 pm
That fad is over.

I dont know this may end up being a really good hire for Memphis... He has a great chance at keeping the recruiting class intact for Memphis and was not going to be a assistant coach much longer anyways.  He is already talking about hiring Carl Henry (Xavier Henrey's dad).  This could easily turn out very good for them.

HogBreath

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 06, 2009, 06:44:03 pm
I dont know this may end up being a really good hire for Memphis... He has a great chance at keeping the recruiting class intact for Memphis and was not going to be a assistant coach much longer anyways.  He is already talking about hiring Carl Henry (Xavier Henrey's dad).  This could easily turn out very good for them.
I make a motion that Pel get rid of Ostrom and hire Kye Madden's dad.

Hoggy Bear

yep, he wants to hire Carl Henry as Director Of Basketball Operations.

jbcarol

Quote from: HogBreath on April 06, 2009, 06:49:34 pm
I make a motion that Pel get rid of Ostrom and hire Kye Madden's dad.

I thought Coach Calipari was interested in KY.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

WMHawgfan

good to see he learned something under Cal. this kind of move was very common for cal while at memphis.

it may not be technically illegal but it sure reaks. If I find our program has sunk to these levels I will probably stop supporting it.

revolution

Wow!  That just shows you Memphis isn't BIG TIME!  Big time programs don't hire assistants.  Assistants get jobs at mid-majors and prove themselves so that they can move up to the Big Time.  Yes, I know schools like Baylor, Miss. St., etc. have hired assistants.  But that just shows those schools aren't Big Time either.

Memphis is rolling the dice with this one.   Anyone know why they didn't get Scott Drew from Baylor?

Jeephog

Maybe, but I just don't see it.

hawg in memphis

Quote from: WMHawgfan on April 06, 2009, 07:11:01 pm
good to see he learned something under Cal. this kind of move was very common for cal while at memphis.

it may not be technically illegal but it sure reaks. If I find our program has sunk to these levels I will probably stop supporting it.
Yeah, I'm sure if we had the success Memphis has the last 5 years it would be hard for you to support.

Hoggy Bear

It's just part of the game.  Cal hired Milt Wagner to get Dejuan Wagner.  Bill Self hired Mario Chalmers dad to get him.  I wouldnt mind hiring DeMarcus Cousins dad for a year to get the kid in the program.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: hawg in memphis on April 06, 2009, 07:28:50 pm
Yeah, I'm sure if we had the success Memphis has the last 5 years it would be hard for you to support.
not talking about success I am talking about tactics. If we resort to those kind of tactics I want no part of the program. I don't think its worth sacrificing integrity to get players.

Biggus Piggus

They can just hire more dads every coupla years when they need more talent.

What a disastrous panic hire for Memphis.
[CENSORED]!

tulsafan101010

ORU hired Conley Clarke and...oh...

MaxMaloney

Funny that this happens right after Arizona finally got Miller.  Maybe they already offered Pastner the job, but he was waiting to see if he could get the Arizona job instead.  It's hard to believe this is the best guy they could get, unless this was the only way they could keep their recruiting class intact.

Hot_Town_Hog

Wasn't he the lead recruiter for the bigtime class they signed? If most of them come back, we might just have our answer. Keeping those guys would offset giving this guy a shot for a couple of years.

Marshfieldhog

At the end of the day, no big time coach wanted to coach in C-USA..it's just a bad league, Memphis was the lone exception. Almost like the old SWC in the last days when we would be teams by 30,40 points in the SWC tourney.

Big Papa Satan

Welcome back to mediocrity.

I am loving this.

hoglady

Quote from: revolution on April 06, 2009, 07:18:45 pm
Wow!  That just shows you Memphis isn't BIG TIME!  Big time programs don't hire assistants.  Assistants get jobs at mid-majors and prove themselves so that they can move up to the Big Time.  Yes, I know schools like Baylor, Miss. St., etc. have hired assistants.  But that just shows those schools aren't Big Time either.

Memphis is rolling the dice with this one.   Anyone know why they didn't get Scott Drew from Baylor?

Sometimes you can get really lucky rolling the dice.
I would rather roll the dice with a great assistant coach than a so-so head coach. Wish we would have taken a chance on Mike Anderson instead of hiring Stan Heath. Hind sight is 20-20.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The Realist

This guy is considered a coaching prodigy. 
He was on Lute Olsen's staff right out of college and got promoted to recruiting coordinator.
When in high school he started his own scouting service of the Houston area and people actually regarded it as credible and his dad handed down the Houston Hoops AAU powerhouse to him.
He will keep a few big recruits and current players and he has been around Lute Olsen and John Calipari his whole coaching career.  It's a smarter hire than you think
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Pork Twain

So is he a coaching prodigy or a recruiting prodigy? 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

I am sure the reason Memphis didn't hire a big name coach was because all those Guys were waiting on the Arkansas job to come open.  Just had to say that.  The point is it isn't as easy as it appears to just ask for and have several big name coaches tearing your door down.  The Memphis job is one of the best in college BB with Fedex, a decent venue to play in and a recent great reputation.  If this Guy can keep the recruits and can draw up a play or two, Memphis will be right back to the Sweet 16 or better.  Recruiting is nearly everything in BB.  Having the ability to put 5 inflated egos on the floor at the same time and getting them to work together is next and know when your team is on defense or offense is next.  Great players willing to share the ball will win you 70 percent of your games.  If you happen to know anything about the actual game, you are likely to win Championships. 

On another note, Nolan indicated he wanted the Memphis job and it appears he wasn't even considered.  That shows you how colleges think.  Nolan is yesterdays news.  Likely half the high school recruits have never heard the name.  I doubt Memphis was afraid to hire Nolan concerning his lawsuits.  I think they just couldn't see an upside primarily due to name recognition.

DMacIsASaint

I don't think he is your average assistant. He coached a high level aau team when he was 16. the hire does have a good amount of risk involved, but its better than going with a so so coach that could let memphis slowly fall down the drain

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on April 06, 2009, 08:30:24 pm
Wasn't he the lead recruiter for the bigtime class they signed? If most of them come back, we might just have our answer. Keeping those guys would offset giving this guy a shot for a couple of years.

He was there for less than a year.
[CENSORED]!

Sivad

Quote from: 12247 on April 07, 2009, 07:05:31 am

Nolan indicated he wanted the Memphis job and it appears he wasn't even considered.   

Nolan tried to get the job, but Memphis, like everbody else, had NO interest in him.
NO school, NO nba team, NO body has, or is ever going to, consider hiring Nolan.
He is poisonous, nobody wants any part of him.

hoglady

There's no way Memphis could take a chance on Nolan.
Too much of a loose cannon - what would they do if they needed to fire him?
Whenever something doesn't go his way he plays the race card, always has. Not saying Nolan didn't have a gripe with Broyles, but so did alot of white coaches over the years. Did Nolan get treated any worse by Broyles than Sutton or Holtz?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: hoglady on April 07, 2009, 11:11:49 am
Did Nolan get treated any worse by Broyles than Sutton or Holtz?

Do you honestly think he wasn't?

Cementhog

I thought that R.C. Johnson said that he wanted someone with head coaching experience and recruiting at the D-1 level. As far as Memphis being a great job until they get out of the CUSA it will never be what you hope for. I seem to remember that Memphis hired Cal when he needed a job and there wasn't any thing else for him, after his failure in the NBA. He was hired for just a little over 500K. Memphis was lucky to have him for as long as they did. I think the new hire or the lack of intrest in the job has shown what the real value of the position was. If this new guy does well at Memphis he won't be there very long either. Like I said before and some others have said CUSA is either a stepping stone to a great job or it is a hidding place for coaches that have not lived up to expectations to reprove that they can coach.
Little Lebowski Urban Achiever Class of 86

hoglady

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 07, 2009, 11:32:20 am
Do you honestly think he wasn't?

Nolan, Sutton, Holtz and Hatfield all left or were fired because of a conflict with Broyles. Why do you think Nolan was treated any worse than the rest of them?

Brass Knob

Quote from: Cementhog on April 07, 2009, 11:35:56 am
I thought that R.C. Johnson said that he wanted someone with head coaching experience and recruiting at the D-1 level. As far as Memphis being a great job until they get out of the CUSA it will never be what you hope for. I seem to remember that Memphis hired Cal when he needed a job and there wasn't any thing else for him, after his failure in the NBA. He was hired for just a little over 500K. Memphis was lucky to have him for as long as they did. I think the new hire or the lack of intrest in the job has shown what the real value of the position was. If this new guy does well at Memphis he won't be there very long either. Like I said before and some others have said CUSA is either a stepping stone to a great job or it is a hidding place for coaches that have not lived up to expectations to reprove that they can coach.

Calipari was not jobless when Memphis hired him... He had had previous offers and was a an assistant coach for Larry Brown.  Memphis is a place that is built for success for any coach.  Lots of money to pay the coach, great facilities, hotbed of talent (if they use it), and an easy conference.  That being said I could not imagine a coach that is already established at a big time school leaving for Memphis.

Brass Knob

Quote from: 12247 on April 07, 2009, 07:01:26 am
I am sure the reason Memphis didn't hire a big name coach was because all those Guys were waiting on the Arkansas job to come open.  Just had to say that.  The point is it isn't as easy as it appears to just ask for and have several big name coaches tearing your door down.  The Memphis job is one of the best in college BB with Fedex, a decent venue to play in and a recent great reputation.  If this Guy can keep the recruits and can draw up a play or two, Memphis will be right back to the Sweet 16 or better.  Recruiting is nearly everything in BB.  Having the ability to put 5 inflated egos on the floor at the same time and getting them to work together is next and know when your team is on defense or offense is next.  Great players willing to share the ball will win you 70 percent of your games.  If you happen to know anything about the actual game, you are likely to win Championships. 

He also started a recruiting agency at the age of 13 that was seen as credible and coached is AAU team to a national title and world title.  He can coach and he can recruit even better.

Biggus Piggus

What Calipari did at Memphis that wasn't done there ever before was recruit on the highest level, beyond Tennessee/Mississippi.  The class he had coming in would have been awesome.  Some of those players will follow him to Kentucky maybe, but he really had a chance to build a powerhouse team.

Pastner may be highly capable, smart, whatever, but experienced?  Knowledgeable of how to manage a team and a program and an entire recruiting process?  Ready to build a staff?  Ready to match wits with veteran coaches?  This is akin to Kansas State hiring Frank Martin in hopes of salvaging a recruiting class.  Huggins to Martin, Calipari to Pastner, same difference.  It wouldn't happen under normal circumstances.
[CENSORED]!

The Realist

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2009, 10:30:45 am
He was there for less than a year.
And he was at Arizona when they got Chase Buddinger, Brandon Jennings, Abdul Gaddy, Jerryd Bayless, Jamelle Horne and was the lead recruiter for almost all of them...even if some didn't end up at Arizona for reasons like Lute Olsen's health or deciding to go to Europe. 
http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=974&CID=528337
There is a story on him. Most ridiculous thing in that is 30 hours in one semester...jesus
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Biggus Piggus

My last semesters in college I did 28 and 31 hours, aided by taking correspondence courses.

Got a 3.5 on all that.  There was some deliberate settling for B's involved.  Also covered the Hogs for a local paper at the same time.

This was done, of course, to compensate for previous transgressions.
[CENSORED]!

BayofPigs

maybe they finally get to practice free throws

Cementhog

Having a head coach in D-1 Basketball and his biggest claim to fame is a recruiting service he had at the age of 13 and coaching an AAU team to a title? That is asking allot of the fans and the players...I really hope he does well. Does anyone remember Doogie Howser?

Brass Knob

Quote from: Cementhog on April 07, 2009, 04:15:53 pm
Having a head coach in D-1 Basketball and his biggest claim to fame is a recruiting service he had at the age of 13 and coaching an AAU team to a title? That is asking allot of the fans and the players...I really hope he does well. Does anyone remember Doogie Howser?

Maybe but AAU ball and top level college ball are becoming eerily similar.   

The Realist

Quote from: Cementhog on April 07, 2009, 04:15:53 pm
The teams he coached at the age of 16 included 3 future NBA All stars....Not just any team.  And his teams beat other teams including players like Jason Richardson and others.  He knows the game a lot more than people are trying to give him credit for.
Childs, Gregory.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: The Realist on April 07, 2009, 04:42:21 pm
The teams he coached at the age of 16 included 3 future NBA All stars....Not just any team.  And his teams beat other teams including players like Jason Richardson and others.  He knows the game a lot more than people are trying to give him credit for.

I could probably win if I had 3 future NBA ballers on my team...

The_Bionic_Pig

We need a JB Hunt or Walmart program.... something that can assure success you know like this  
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Cementhog

I guess the question that I am looking for an answer to is How do you have a run like they did get to the final game the year before and the sweet 16 this year and this is the best that you can do? What is that saying? The other is when is it alright to have to justify your coach by comparing AAU players. Has this been done before anywhere else and if so did it succeed?

rzrbackrob

All the Cougars in Memphis are going mad over coach McDreamy. :puke:
Good is the enemy of great

secfan30

Quote from: hoglady on April 07, 2009, 11:11:49 am
There's no way Memphis could take a chance on Nolan.
Too much of a loose cannon - what would they do if they needed to fire him?
Whenever something doesn't go his way he plays the race card, always has. Not saying Nolan didn't have a gripe with Broyles, but so did alot of white coaches over the years. Did Nolan get treated any worse by Broyles than Sutton or Holtz?

He stood up to him and stayed, the others left. I would say that yes he was.