Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss' real recruiting class.

Started by HogNuttz, April 02, 2009, 11:30:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNuttz

I know the only thing bigger than the bailout packages is the number of signees that Nutt et. al are placing in Juco's.  Since they have put a dozen or so signee's in Juco, does anyone know what kids they still have coming?

Basically what I want to know is how many of their legit 5 or 6 recruits are actually going to make it to campus?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: HogNuttz on April 02, 2009, 11:30:43 pm
I know the only thing bigger than the bailout packages is the number of signees that Nutt et. al are placing in Juco's.  Since they have put a dozen or so signee's in Juco, does anyone know what kids they still have coming?

Basically what I want to know is how many of their legit 5 or 6 recruits are actually going to make it to campus?

No one cares.  This is not an Ole Miss site. 

HamShank

Especially from someone who has to find everything's political parallel even though this isn't the politics forum.

HoopS

It matters to me.   We play Ole Miss and I am also curious who all ended up going juco.

And that goes for BAMA, and the rest of them. 

bigt05

Rivals re-does the rankings with all the players who actually MADE it to campus the week school starts, so i'm guessing we'll know a couple of weeks b4 that...

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 02, 2009, 11:47:44 pm
No one cares.  This is not an Ole Miss site. 
then shut up and find another thread to read, it was clearly labeled.
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: HamShank on April 02, 2009, 11:53:19 pm
Especially from someone who has to find everything's political parallel even though this isn't the politics forum.
he was using something to help make his point......

SDZ_Hog

I'm curious as well on how the 37 are going to play out.  if the Grandy and Williams situation turns into what happen with Hunter miller last year.

webbgem

Try tigerdroppings.com and then go to the SEC Rant.  Plenty of Ole Miss fans that will answer your question.
Matthew 6:34

If signing 37 recruits and placing them like a farm team for the future works for OM, then Nutt finally did something beyond his usual stupid for college football. Many teams wil follow suit and shortly most teams will be made up of juco players moving up.  I would expect the NCAA to set policy to remove this loophole unless they look it over and decide its good for college football.  The only real problen I see is that there isn't enough Juco schools to handle the mass of football players who would likely want to show up.  Every kid who has marginal talent with potential, every kid who refused to make grades in highschool and every kid who got in trouble with the law would try to start over at the Juco level.  Truth is there is likely hundreds of kids that don't qualify for the NCAA that are very good raw football players who with a bit of time and training would be good 4 year college players.  Think of it this way.  Hootie could quit pretending to be a coach and Sexton could get someone to write a How To book on signing and placing marginal kids Juco.  Nutt could and would take credit for the book and Nutt could make a fortune selling it on those late night infomericals.  He would finally be doing something he would be good at.  The book, How I Changed College Football by The Tupelo Turd could explain the holding on to the rope idea taken to the next level.  Kids who have let go of the rope getting a second chance through the JUCO experience.  Another chapter could explain the finer points for throwing people under the bus without getting your fringerprints on the victum, another on using an out of control ego to your best advantage and a must do chapter on how much hind licking is necessary to keep a total fool on the same job for 10 years and the final chapter could touch on how to leave a job and program for dead and still leave with a small fortune for yourself. 

lawhawg

You can probably subtract 4* DB Hornsby from the class after his most recent arrest.  I read on an Ole Miss board that he was the second 4* DB who signed but will likely never play, but I don't know who the poster was referring to.  Has anyone heard any news about other signees?

donewithdale

I was listening to the midday show on 680 out of Atlanta a couple of days ago as they interviewed Butch Davis, who by the way had some comments about his Arkansas days and why he and Jimmy built their Miami and Cowboys defenses on speed based on their Arkansas experiences. 

After that they started talking about programs like Alabama now hiring former major D1 off and def coord and making them grad assistants in order to get around the NCAA rule limiting the number of asst coaches.  They were making a point about people whining about the NCAA when programs like this with these types of actions lead to more rules and NCAA involvement. 

Then they went off on Dale and how he had signed 37 and was already down to 27.  They talked about how he openly admitted he signed some of these kids just to build a good relationship with the Miss JuCo's.  They also discussed Hornsby and how Florida kicked him off the team and then Dale signs him and now he has been arrested again.

http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56167

Sorry I can't do it justice here in words but the segment was great as they made Nutt sound sleazy and made fun of him.  And again, another case of where coaches will force more rules.

By the way, wonder if you just took the players they signed that will make it in August and not be repeat felons what their class would rank.

jgphillips3

Quote from: donewithdale on April 03, 2009, 10:27:50 am
By the way, wonder if you just took the players they signed that will make it in August and not be repeat felons what their class would rank.

Probably in the 30's...about where every Arkansas class he ever signed ranked (when averaged).

JackJohnson

April 03, 2009, 12:43:44 pm #13 Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:45:51 pm by JackJohnson
from what i can gather the following players have work to do

Eric Smiley, Tig Barksdale, Willie Ferrell, Stephen Houston, Montez Phillips, Demarcus Knight, Korvic Neat, Artice Kellam, Frank Crawford and Bobbie Massie

That is 10 guys, and they signed 38 (counting greyshirt Aaron Hawkins).  That means either they will have at least 3 more greyshirts (Ark kids Grandy and Campbell are supposed to be 2 of them, as well as one time recruit Ritter to go along with the RB Hunter are the guys mentioned to be greyshirting if some kids do manage to qualify) or 3 more kids won't qualify.

of course we know that Smiley isn't going to, but I for one hope that for sure Neat, Kellam, Crawford and Massie don't qualify :) 

kimjongsqUeAl

Just like I said here on H'ville and abroad.....the nuttbag signed a bunch people who would never make it to Ole Miss.  I remember his little press conf. when he said he is signing those guys knowing they wouldn't make it to campus so nuttbag could "build relationships with JUCOs...."  That's got to be the most ignorant thing I've seen a football coach do ever.  He also signed them knowing that it would inflate the ratings and notice how he conveniently made a huge leap in the ratings on signing day. 

What a tool...
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

VBHOG

Quote from: 12247 on April 03, 2009, 10:00:56 am
If signing 37 recruits and placing them like a farm team for the future works for OM, then Nutt finally did something beyond his usual stupid for college football. Many teams wil follow suit and shortly most teams will be made up of juco players moving up.  I would expect the NCAA to set policy to remove this loophole unless they look it over and decide its good for college football.  The only real problen I see is that there isn't enough Juco schools to handle the mass of football players who would likely want to show up.  Every kid who has marginal talent with potential, every kid who refused to make grades in highschool and every kid who got in trouble with the law would try to start over at the Juco level.  Truth is there is likely hundreds of kids that don't qualify for the NCAA that are very good raw football players who with a bit of time and training would be good 4 year college players.  Think of it this way.  Hootie could quit pretending to be a coach and Sexton could get someone to write a How To book on signing and placing marginal kids Juco.  Nutt could and would take credit for the book and Nutt could make a fortune selling it on those late night infomericals.  He would finally be doing something he would be good at.  The book, How I Changed College Football by The Tupelo Turd could explain the holding on to the rope idea taken to the next level.  Kids who have let go of the rope getting a second chance through the JUCO experience.  Another chapter could explain the finer points for throwing people under the bus without getting your fringerprints on the victum, another on using an out of control ego to your best advantage and a must do chapter on how much hind licking is necessary to keep a total fool on the same job for 10 years and the final chapter could touch on how to leave a job and program for dead and still leave with a small fortune for yourself. 

When Goober becomes a trend setter then we will know that college football is on it's deathbed.

codeHog

with kids not even finished with school, how do they know so many will not make it? Just grades so bad there is no hope?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on April 03, 2009, 07:39:47 am
then shut up and find another thread to read, it was clearly labeled.

I hate internet thugs who are able to type tough from the safety of their keyboard. I will not post on this thread so you can continue to johnson ride tthe original a hole who started the post with his ridiculous bailout and irrelevant bailout package comments.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 03, 2009, 05:57:46 pm
I hate internet thugs who are able to type tough from the safety of their keyboard. I will not post on this thread so you can continue to johnson ride tthe original a hole who started the post with his ridiculous bailout and irrelevant bailout package comments.

Not a big fan of metaphors, eh?  You must be more of a Wally Hall simile kind of guy

HoopS

Whoa.   Seems this thread struck a nerve.   Hmm. 

HoopS

Eddie Piggard

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 03, 2009, 05:57:46 pm
look me up, anytime you wish, we can have a beer and discuss your whining.

dougieritch

Quote from: Eddie Piggard on April 03, 2009, 08:44:15 pm
look me up, anytime you wish, we can have a beer and discuss your whining.

You can serve him some cheese with his whine!   ;)

Justifiable Hogicide

Sivad

Hootie's massive last minute signings had more to do with saving face than actually bringing talent in to become eligible and play.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Sivad on April 04, 2009, 01:22:22 am
Hootie's massive last minute signings had more to do with saving face than actually bringing talent in to become eligible and play.

You could probably have a pretty good team if you threw together all of the players that Nutts signed knowing that they'd never play a down for the Hogs.  Guys like Rodney Giles, Freddie Barnett, and Willie Hordge come to mind.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Hawg Balling on April 04, 2009, 02:30:59 am
You could probably have a pretty good team if you threw together all of the players that Nutts signed knowing that they'd never play a down for the Hogs.  Guys like Rodney Giles, Freddie Barnett, and Willie Hordge come to mind.

Who was that TE/DE we signed away from Florida St?  Lonnie Davis?  Man we got teased with that one, at high school and JUCO

cbjagman

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on April 03, 2009, 04:09:59 pm
Just like I said here on H'ville and abroad.....the nuttbag signed a bunch people who would never make it to Ole Miss.  I remember his little press conf. when he said he is signing those guys knowing they wouldn't make it to campus so nuttbag could "build relationships with JUCOs...."  That's got to be the most ignorant thing I've seen a football coach do ever.  He also signed them knowing that it would inflate the ratings and notice how he conveniently made a huge leap in the ratings on signing day. 

What a tool...
Actually I have to admire the "Right Reverand" for all the charity work he's doing down in the Magnolia State. My gosh let's give the man credit for almost single-handedly building up the JUCO schools down in Misery. Without the Hooter many of these schools would have a tough time building their rosters each year. But with Nuttso their futures are virtually guaranteed to be brimming with the castoffs from Oxford. Funny thing is that apparently the Retard fans down there don't realize that the HDN is actually moonlighting as chief recruiter for all those other schools. Oh well, I suppose the Dale has to earn a little extra cash somewhere!

keithh1999

Quote from: cbjagman on April 06, 2009, 12:05:15 pm
Actually I have to admire the "Right Reverand" for all the charity work he's doing down in the Magnolia State. My gosh let's give the man credit for almost single-handedly building up the JUCO schools down in Misery. Without the Hooter many of these schools would have a tough time building their rosters each year. But with Nuttso their futures are virtually guaranteed to be brimming with the castoffs from Oxford. Funny thing is that apparently the Retard fans down there don't realize that the HDN is actually moonlighting as chief recruiter for all those other schools. Oh well, I suppose the Dale has to earn a little extra cash somewhere!

OK, ALL TOGETHER NOW ---

Thank You Mississississippippi for taking Hootie and his boys... we will forever be in your debt.
Pig Farmers are cool.

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: codeHog on April 03, 2009, 05:52:00 pm
with kids not even finished with school, how do they know so many will not make it? Just grades so bad there is no hope?

Total GPA during High School, grades on core courses, courses taken in High School, and ACT scores.

Big Papa Satan

Wonder if they signed any coeds for Retardo Danny.

rebelbruiser

April 07, 2009, 09:13:17 am #33 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:15:57 am by rebelbruiser
Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on April 03, 2009, 04:09:59 pm

What a tool...

The majority of the guys that were added to our class on signing day were guys that are on track to qualify.  So the guys that caused the jump in our ranking are not the guys that are going Juco.

As was mentioned above, here is a quick list of guys that are likely not to be on our campus this fall:

Willie Ferrell - 3 star
Artice Kellam - 3 star
Demarcus Knight - 3 star
Emmanuel McCray - 3 star
Eric Smiley - 3 star
Stephen Houston - 2 star
Montez Phillips - 3 star (may either miss grades or sign a pro baseball contract if drafted)

Here are a handful of others that are on the fence:
Darius Barksdale - 4 star
Corey Gaines - 4 star
Alex Williams - 3 star
Jamar Hornsby - 4 star (has the grades, but his legal issue may keep him from enrolling)

Nutt mentioned 7 guys that he basically knew weren't going to make it (see above), and another 4 or 5 that he said were borderline.  We signed 37, and this is the information we have at this point on who those people probably are.  As you see, only 3 of the 9 blue chip signees are even borderline, and all 3 have a shot at making it, though Hornsby's depends on the legal issue.

Neat, Massie, and Pat Patterson are not 100% certain yet, but all of them are on track and, and are not expected to have a problem.  They're probably about 90% certain.

And yes, Hunter, Grandy, Ritter, and Tyler Campbell are all potential grayshirt candidates, along with Evan Swindall.  Each could get an immediate scholarship depending on who makes it of the borderline guys.

As I said, we had 37 signees, with 7 that are pretty much guaranteed not going to make it.  That takes us to 30.  We have another 4 or 5 that are borderline.  I would expect that 2 or 3 of those guys make it, which will put us at 27 or 28 players enrolling this fall, and we'll have 2-3 grayshirts out of the group of 5 listed above.  As I've said before, I'll be more than happy to come back and report on who makes it and who doesn't when we know everything for certain.

Something else to keep an eye on:  We have a former 4 star DT (Bo Tillman) who sat out last year going to prep school, therefore he's not rated.  He's still awaiting word from the clearinghouse, but if his classes are accepted, he could enroll this fall as part of our 2009 class as well.  He hasn't signed, but if he is cleared, he will sign and enroll at Ole Miss.

Also, Nutt is smart to feed the Jucos in Mississippi.  You won't see us sign more than 3-4 Jucos per class very often, but when we do need a Juco or two, those Juco coaches don't forget when you helped them out.  In Arkansas, you don't have a Juco system, so you don't have the same situation.

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas Baptist Buffaloes - Hopefully this program under Fitz Hill is utilized to its fullest potential!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BigErn

You will never understand our relationship with Nutt rebelbruiser... there is no need to give Hog fans a full breakdown if who you believe will or will not make it to Ole Miss.

Almost every player Nutt placed in Juco never made it to campus here... thats his track record... dispute it all you want but the truth is, unless he completely does a 180 then you will not see hardly any of those players you send away make it back.

I know it is hard to dislike the guy right now due to his recent success :puke:... but in the end, when mistakes are made, times start getting tough, shady things start surfacing, and the program suffers dearly due to Nutt's actions you will find similar feelings that we have for him. Mainly due to the fact that he will always have a well-timed excuse for his misdeeds and will never own up to embarrassing mistakes.

I know you will feel the way we do b/c I can tell you care a ton about your programs success and after 0-8 fiasco are hungry for any success... I know I would be. So you are sold on a that you would have made fun of 3 years ago for being crazier than a bag of rabid weasels b/c to any rational eye he is just that.

In his book, he is worried about el numero uno and could careless about Ole Miss or Arkansas. So I really feel for you more than dislike you... Nutt is not the answer you are looking for rebelbruiser. Please see him for what he is and be extremely skeptical of all his actions.

BigErn

**So you are sold on a guy that you would have made fun of 3 years ago for being crazier than a bag of rabid weasels b/c to any rational eye he is just that.**

-----

Mistake.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: BigErn on April 07, 2009, 09:59:04 am
You will never understand our relationship with Nutt rebelbruiser... there is no need to give Hog fans a full breakdown if who you believe will or will not make it to Ole Miss.

Almost every player Nutt placed in Juco never made it to campus here... thats his track record... dispute it all you want but the truth is, unless he completely does a 180 then you will not see hardly any of those players you send away make it back.

I know it is hard to dislike the guy right now due to his recent success :puke:... but in the end, when mistakes are made, times start getting tough, shady things start surfacing, and the program suffers dearly due to Nutt's actions you will find similar feelings that we have for him. Mainly due to the fact that he will always have a well-timed excuse for his misdeeds and will never own up to embarrassing mistakes.

I know you will feel the way we do b/c I can tell you care a ton about your programs success and after 0-8 fiasco are hungry for any success... I know I would be. So you are sold on a that you would have made fun of 3 years ago for being crazier than a bag of rabid weasels b/c to any rational eye he is just that.

In his book, he is worried about el numero uno and could careless about Ole Miss or Arkansas. So I really feel for you more than dislike you... Nutt is not the answer you are looking for rebelbruiser. Please see him for what he is and be extremely skeptical of all his actions.

I completely understand that, and I definitely don't expect all of those guys to be re-signed out of Juco.  We're probably going to send 8-10 guys to Juco/prep school, and I expect we may re-sign 4 or 5 of them in the next class or the class after that.  I would hope that we wouldn't be looking to sign 10 Jucos a couple years from now, because that would be a problem.

Now, I understand what you're saying on Nutt, and I'm fine with him for right now.  I don't think he's going to be a long term solution at Ole Miss, and I don't think he wants to be the long term guy.  My hope is that he sticks around 5 or 6 years and then either retires or moves on to something else, and we can hopefully hire someone like Kent Austin or someone else that's ready for the job.

He's said before that he learned that you can't stick around a place too long before your welcome wears off, so I don't think he's planning on sticking around forever at Ole Miss either, because he knows our fans will get tired of him, just like fans do with most coaches.

Sivad

Quote from: rebelbruiser on April 07, 2009, 11:05:49 am
I don't think he's planning on sticking around forever at Ole Miss either, because he knows our fans will get tired of him, just like fans do with most coaches.
With Nutt, you won't just "get tired" of him.
After observing him operate up close for a few seasons you will grow to absolutely detest the man and his so called "Nutt Family Posse".
You will literally gag and cringe every time you see him publicly representing your University and football team.

Jdub

Quote from: rebelbruiser on April 07, 2009, 09:13:17 am
The majority of the guys that were added to our class on signing day were guys that are on track to qualify.  So the guys that caused the jump in our ranking are not the guys that are going Juco.

As was mentioned above, here is a quick list of guys that are likely not to be on our campus this fall:

Willie Ferrell - 3 star
Artice Kellam - 3 star
Demarcus Knight - 3 star
Emmanuel McCray - 3 star
Eric Smiley - 3 star
Stephen Houston - 2 star
Montez Phillips - 3 star (may either miss grades or sign a pro baseball contract if drafted)

Here are a handful of others that are on the fence:
Darius Barksdale - 4 star
Corey Gaines - 4 star
Alex Williams - 3 star
Jamar Hornsby - 4 star (has the grades, but his legal issue may keep him from enrolling)

Nutt mentioned 7 guys that he basically knew weren't going to make it (see above), and another 4 or 5 that he said were borderline.  We signed 37, and this is the information we have at this point on who those people probably are.  As you see, only 3 of the 9 blue chip signees are even borderline, and all 3 have a shot at making it, though Hornsby's depends on the legal issue.

Neat, Massie, and Pat Patterson are not 100% certain yet, but all of them are on track and, and are not expected to have a problem.  They're probably about 90% certain.

And yes, Hunter, Grandy, Ritter, and Tyler Campbell are all potential grayshirt candidates, along with Evan Swindall.  Each could get an immediate scholarship depending on who makes it of the borderline guys.

As I said, we had 37 signees, with 7 that are pretty much guaranteed not going to make it.  That takes us to 30.  We have another 4 or 5 that are borderline.  I would expect that 2 or 3 of those guys make it, which will put us at 27 or 28 players enrolling this fall, and we'll have 2-3 grayshirts out of the group of 5 listed above.  As I've said before, I'll be more than happy to come back and report on who makes it and who doesn't when we know everything for certain.

Something else to keep an eye on:  We have a former 4 star DT (Bo Tillman) who sat out last year going to prep school, therefore he's not rated.  He's still awaiting word from the clearinghouse, but if his classes are accepted, he could enroll this fall as part of our 2009 class as well.  He hasn't signed, but if he is cleared, he will sign and enroll at Ole Miss.

Also, Nutt is smart to feed the Jucos in Mississippi.  You won't see us sign more than 3-4 Jucos per class very often, but when we do need a Juco or two, those Juco coaches don't forget when you helped them out.  In Arkansas, you don't have a Juco system, so you don't have the same situation.

Reb, how many schollies does this leave you with next year?  Our guys seem to think we will have 18-20 to offer due to our oversigning this Feb.  Just curious as to how many you guys will have.

Could you explain the greyshirt rule to me?  When do these count against your allotment?

Thanks.

cbjagman

April 07, 2009, 01:37:06 pm #41 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:38:44 pm by cbjagman
Ole Hooter has always been known for being an innovator: witness the introduction of the Wild Hog, Wild Weezle, Wild Rebel......or whatever one calls it these days. Other ahead-of-the-curve ideas have included the psychologically uplifting and morale building time offered by Danny N. with troubled team members at the local Sonic(s), major financial assistance provided the local police and court system from arrested players due to drinking, drugs, larceny and assault charges; and last, but certainly not least, the inspiring tudoring program hosted by Retard players on academic probation members with troubled students in the Oxford school district. This latest brain storm ensures that Ole Misery will continue to lead the way in helping the state's JUCO ranks to continue dramatically growing for many years to come! Once again Houston Dale has helped his team and university to stand head and shoulders below the minimum standards accepted by the NCAA!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Jdub on April 07, 2009, 11:40:53 am

Reb, how many schollies does this leave you with next year?  Our guys seem to think we will have 18-20 to offer due to our oversigning this Feb.  Just curious as to how many you guys will have.

Could you explain the greyshirt rule to me?  When do these count against your allotment?

Thanks.

It's real simple.  If you grayshirt, the player enrolls part-time in the fall.  He can't participate in the fall work outs or practices, and he has to pay his own way.  I believe another option for the player is to simply delay enrollment until the spring.  Either way, the player doesn't go on scholarship until the spring, and therefore he counts basically as a December signee as part of the next class.

We had one grayshirt (Aaron Hawkins) counting toward our 2009 signing class.  He enrolled part time this past fall, and he joined the team officially in December counting toward the 2009 signing class.  To answer the question that I know is coming, Logan Clair (Juco OL from our 2009 class) was a December signee that counted toward our 2008 class due to the fact that one of our 2008 scholarship slots went unfilled after Kermit Tyler was forced to quit the team.  So Clair and Hawkins can basically be swapped as which one counts toward 2008, and which one counts for 2009.

I'm pretty sure after looking at the numbers that we have leaving in 2009, we'll have 25 scholarships to give as part of our 2010 signing class.  If we bring in 28 players this fall with 3 of them being grayshirts, then those 3 will count toward the 2010 class, and we'll essentially have 22 other slots to fill for the 2010 class instead of 25.  I hope that clears it up.

There are two things that can limit the number of spots you have available for a particular signing class.  One is if bringing in 25 would put you over the 85 total scholarship limit, and the other is if you grayshirt players from the previous class.  If you have zero attrition, and you bring in 25 players each year, then by the 4th year, you'll only have 10 scholarships to give.  However, with most programs, you can count on about 20% of each class transferring, getting kicked out, flunking out, or just quitting.  That opens spots in future classes.

cbjagman

Quote from: rebelbruiser on April 07, 2009, 01:43:05 pm
It's real simple.  If you grayshirt, the player enrolls part-time in the fall.  He can't participate in the fall work outs or practices, and he has to pay his own way.  I believe another option for the player is to simply delay enrollment until the spring.  Either way, the player doesn't go on scholarship until the spring, and therefore he counts basically as a December signee as part of the next class.

We had one grayshirt (Aaron Hawkins) counting toward our 2009 signing class.  He enrolled part time this past fall, and he joined the team officially in December counting toward the 2009 signing class.  To answer the question that I know is coming, Logan Clair (Juco OL from our 2009 class) was a December signee that counted toward our 2008 class due to the fact that one of our 2008 scholarship slots went unfilled after Kermit Tyler was forced to quit the team.  So Clair and Hawkins can basically be swapped as which one counts toward 2008, and which one counts for 2009.

I'm pretty sure after looking at the numbers that we have leaving in 2009, we'll have 25 scholarships to give as part of our 2010 signing class.  If we bring in 28 players this fall with 3 of them being grayshirts, then those 3 will count toward the 2010 class, and we'll essentially have 22 other slots to fill for the 2010 class instead of 25.  I hope that clears it up.

There are two things that can limit the number of spots you have available for a particular signing class.  One is if bringing in 25 would put you over the 85 total scholarship limit, and the other is if you grayshirt players from the previous class.  If you have zero attrition, and you bring in 25 players each year, then by the 4th year, you'll only have 10 scholarships to give.  However, with most programs, you can count on about 20% of each class transferring, getting kicked out, flunking out, or just quitting.  That opens spots in future classes.
To be able to understand Dale's method of counting recruits one needs to be a regular Norman Einstein!

Jdub

Quote from: rebelbruiser on April 07, 2009, 01:43:05 pm

Thanks Reb, very enlightening.