Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl to Memphis? Not so Much.

Started by moses_007, April 01, 2009, 09:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

April 01, 2009, 09:58:11 pm Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:10:19 pm by WilsonHog
Sources are indicating that Bruce Pearl has been offered a 7 year 21 million dollar offer from the University of Memphis.

If this is true, maybe Pearl will realize he can go further in the NCAA tournament with Memphis.

http://secjunky.com/2009/04/drama-continues-bruce-pearl-to-memphis.html

Hogman 24

chiefsfan

From one dead end job to another?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

3kgthog

$3 million per year is definitely overpaying for Bruce Pearl.

idiotghos

Quote from: Cooper on April 01, 2009, 11:09:26 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing him out of the SEC.

You gotta have a few characters to hate. 

Brass Knob

It is also being reported that Scott Drew's people have contacted Memphis and that he is quite popular because of his recruiting abilities.  That may open up some current Baylor signees presuming they were released...

hawgsav1

April 02, 2009, 12:07:22 am #6 Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:04:36 am by hawgsav1
Quote from: Brass Knob on April 01, 2009, 11:35:14 pm
It is also being reported that Scott Drew's people have contacted Memphis and that he is quite popular because of his recruiting abilities.  That may open up some current Baylor signees presuming they were released...

Interestingly enough John Wall had Baylor on the top of his list after Dwon Clifton was hired by Baylor.  However, after a while he became enamored with Memphis and Calipari.  I wonder what would go through his mind if Calipari went to Kentucky and Drew went to Memphis.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Brass Knob

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 02, 2009, 12:07:22 am
Interestingly enough John Wall had Baylor on the top of his list after Dwon Clifton was hired by Baylor.  However, after a while he became enamored with Memphis and Calipari.  I wonder what would go through his mind if Calipari went to Kentucky and Drew went to Baylo.

I willing to bet if Drew winds up at Memphis so will Wall.  After Cal was let go Wall said that he was going to wait and see who Memphis hired before he took them off the top of his list... That I would assume meaning Wall will go if Drew is hired.  I also am pretty sure Cal has no room at Kentucky scholarship wise to take on anymore than maybe one player (Xavier Henry). 
Beyond Wall, Scott Drew could also land Latavious Williams and salvage most of Memphis' current signees, and many more in the following year.  He is a great recruiter with many connections.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 02, 2009, 12:43:59 am
I willing to bet if Drew winds up at Memphis so will Wall.  After Cal was let go Wall said that he was going to wait and see who Memphis hired before he took them off the top of his list... That I would assume meaning Wall will go if Drew is hired.  I also am pretty sure Cal has no room at Kentucky scholarship wise to take on anymore than maybe one player (Xavier Henry). 
Beyond Wall, Scott Drew could also land Latavious Williams and salvage most of Memphis' current signees, and many more in the following year.  He is a great recruiter with many connections.

It's funny Drew is described as a "Great Recruiter" Let's look at his & Pel's last 3 classes.

Drew has signed: 3-4* players, 5-3* players, 1-2* player.
Pel has signed: 5-4* players, 6-3* players, 1-2* player.

The Hog

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 02:15:50 am
It's funny Drew is described as a "Great Recruiter" Let's look at his & Pel's last 3 classes.

Good recruiters evaluate players not star ratings by a paid and income generating service.
Automatic RUN!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Cooper on April 01, 2009, 11:09:26 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing him out of the SEC.

For real?  He sucks.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The Hog on April 02, 2009, 06:04:16 am
Good recruiters evaluate players not star ratings by a paid and income generating service.

There's not a great deal of proof that he has done that either.

donewithdale

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 01, 2009, 11:35:14 pm

Drew's recruiting methods would fit in perfectly in Memphis. 

Pearl would be a bad choice but I would love to see Memphis hire him as I hate Memphis.  Pearl's best attribute is his ability to sell himself and the Memphis program has enough support without needing a circus. 

dotnet

Too bad we don't have a spot for AJ Walton anymore.  It would be nice if we were some how able to get Cory Jefferson. 

DEVICEHIGH

Posted by Witch_Doctor, April 1, 2009 10:54 AM

"Witch Doctor say SECJUNKY always reliable source. Witch Doctor say SECJUNKY 100% trying to start trouble(?) Witch Doctor sources(better that SECJUNKY on Tn Basketball) laugh at this. Witch Doctor wonder why all this from SECJUNKY(?) Bones wary of "blog-reporting". Bones never lie"
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Oliver

Let's also look at the fact that Drew is trying to recruit people to a private, Baptist university which happens to be the smallest school in the Big 12 (and at most the 4th biggest school in the state) that has virtually ZERO basketball tradition with sub-par facilities.

Then compare that to Pel trying to recruit players to the largest college in Arkansas (with no other college in Arkansas even being in a BCS conference), with a really good if not great basketball tradition and very above average facilities.

Who are Pel's 5 4* players?  Fortson, Clarke (although he was demoted to 3*'s on Rivals), Powell, Henry, and who else?

Razorpigg

While I do not doubt Memphis would make him an offer, I just dont believe anything will ever happen on this.  Just dont see him leaving Tenn. and his mistress Dynamite Pat, to go to Memphis. Would be a lateral move at best IMO. Not sure which one would get the worst end of that deal though.  I hate Memphis and Pearl.

dhornjr1

This was posted moments ago on the Commercial-Appeal's website.

I just can't see Pearl leaving Tennessee for C-USA, but who knows?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/02/memphis-expected-ask-permission-talk-tennessees-pe/

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 02, 2009, 09:54:35 am
Let's also look at the fact that Drew is trying to recruit people to a private, Baptist university which happens to be the smallest school in the Big 12 (and at most the 4th biggest school in the state) that has virtually ZERO basketball tradition with sub-par facilities.

Then compare that to Pel trying to recruit players to the largest college in Arkansas (with no other college in Arkansas even being in a BCS conference), with a really good if not great basketball tradition and very above average facilities.

Who are Pel's 5 4* players?  Fortson, Clarke (although he was demoted to 3*'s on Rivals), Powell, Henry, and who else?

Sanchez-who visited UK & Wake after Pel was hired b4 he signed with us, also counted Britt (as the 2*).  These rankings were from Scout.com.

I agree it is more difficult to recruit to Baylor, especially after the Dave Bliss fiasco.  As far as Arkansas goes, aside from a few classes in our basketball history, we have never had traditionally highly rated classes.  But if you sit back & look at the players he has brought in (assuming a couple stay & act right) We have 5-4* players that have 3 or more years of eligibility left (Sanchez, Clarke, Fortson, Henry & Powell, if qualified).  With a full depth chart (hopefully) & time to mold these guys (remember it took Mike A. 3 years, with his guys, to get past 6-10 in conference & playing his style of ball his way. Of course there is no guarantee that we will be great,  it is a fact that you can have the best player in the country & still not make it to the Final Four, but I think we can be really good as these guys mature & get better as Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors tend to do...

Oliver

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 12:37:13 pm
Sanchez-who visited UK & Wake after Pel was hired b4 he signed with us, also counted Britt (as the 2*).  These rankings were from Scout.com.

I agree it is more difficult to recruit to Baylor, especially after the Dave Bliss fiasco.  As far as Arkansas goes, aside from a few classes in our basketball history, we have never had traditionally highly rated classes.  But if you sit back & look at the players he has brought in (assuming a couple stay & act right) We have 5-4* players that have 3 or more years of eligibility left (Sanchez, Clarke, Fortson, Henry & Powell, if qualified).  With a full depth chart (hopefully) & time to mold these guys (remember it took Mike A. 3 years, with his guys, to get past 6-10 in conference & playing his style of ball his way. Of course there is no guarantee that we will be great,  it is a fact that you can have the best player in the country & still not make it to the Final Four, but I think we can be really good as these guys mature & get better as Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors tend to do...

Sanchez was a 4 star on Scout?  I know that ESPN was ridiculous enough to put him in their top 100 rankings.  Wow, Scout and ESPN really screwed the pooch with their evaluations.  And IMO Scout usually does the best job of rankings basketball players.

IF Powell qualifies and is as good as advertised and IF Fortson and Henry are still on the team next year much less correct their attitudes next year...I would agree with what you are saying.  Those are HUGE if's.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 02, 2009, 12:53:58 pm
Sanchez was a 4 star on Scout?  I know that ESPN was ridiculous enough to put him in their top 100 rankings.  Wow, Scout and ESPN really screwed the pooch with their evaluations.  And IMO Scout usually does the best job of rankings basketball players.

IF Powell qualifies and is as good as advertised and IF Fortson and Henry are still on the team next year much less correct their attitudes next year...I would agree with what you are saying.  Those are HUGE if's.

I know Sanchez didn't have a great season, but he he showed a few flashes toward the end of the season.  People were wishing we still had Cyrus McGowen, who as a 4TH year junior averaged less ppg & rpg than Sanchez did in his freshman season.  That said he will have to work his arse off to become a good player that can help us in the future.

You are correct in that those are HUGE if's.  This offseason will go along way to telling the near future of our basketball team.  It could be very good (all players staying & acting right, all players qualifying & making it on campus) to very bad (lose all said players, Fortson, Henry & Wash & Powell)...

Brass Knob

He is not done this year as he is probably going to land John Wall and very possibly Latavious Williams for this year, both 5* according to rivals.  He also has a 5* power forward committed for next year, and is listed by a lot of high profile players.  He is a much better recruiter and coach than Pel.

donewithdale

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 02, 2009, 02:12:03 pm
He is not done this year as he is probably going to land John Wall and very possibly Latavious Williams for this year, both 5* according to rivals.  He also has a 5* power forward committed for next year, and is listed by a lot of high profile players.  He is a much better recruiter and coach than Pel.

He does have the recruiting system down at this point with the AAU networks.  As far as a coach, his more talented and experienced team this season choked away a good part of the Big 12 season and pissed away a chance at the NCAAT.

Razorpigg

No way John Wall plays basketball at Baylor. Will not happen. Dont care where his AAU coach is.

ruarealhogfan

Williams is rated at 4*'s by Scout which is known to be better at basketball than Rivals.  Wall visited Baylor & immediately named another school his leader, does not sound like a kid going to Baylor to me.  BTW Cory Joseph is rated at 4* on both Scout & Rivals. As far as a better coach Drew went 6-10 in the Big 12 in his 6th season raising his Big 12 record to 26-70...

Brass Knob

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 03:42:36 pm
Williams is rated at 4*'s by Scout which is known to be better at basketball than Rivals.  Wall visited Baylor & immediately named another school his leader, does not sound like a kid going to Baylor to me.  BTW Cory Joseph is rated at 4* on both Scout & Rivals. As far as a better coach Drew went 6-10 in the Big 12 in his 6th season raising his Big 12 record to 26-70...

When I referred to next year I meant the 2010 class, should have stated that a little more clearly.  Corey Joseph is a 4* but the recruit I was talking about is Perry Jones (class of 2010).  Drew also took over a Baylor program that was dead. They were in all sorts of trouble with the NCAA and he has made them relevant in the Big 12.  They are playing for the NIT championship tonight as well.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 02, 2009, 03:53:07 pm
When I referred to next year I meant the 2010 class, should have stated that a little more clearly.  Corey Joseph is a 4* but the recruit I was talking about is Perry Jones (class of 2010).  Drew also took over a Baylor program that was dead. They were in all sorts of trouble with the NCAA and he has made them relevant in the Big 12.  They are playing for the NIT championship tonight as well.

My bad, I was talking about signed, sealed & delivered.  I do see where he has a 5* committed for next year, that is fairly impressive, and I do know after the Dave Bliss mess Drew had an uphill battle, but fairly or not you are comparing someone in their 6th year at a school to someone in their 2nd.  Baylor might become relevant in the Big 12 but they aren't there yet. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 02, 2009, 03:53:07 pm

Knobs are so impressionable.

ALLVOL

If Pearl tries to hold UT hostage I hope they let him go. The truth of the matter is that UT has been very good to and for Pearl. I do not like being held hostage by a coach or a player. If you dont wanna be here then adios and good luck.

The Boar War

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 01:07:52 pm
People were wishing we still had Cyrus McGowen, who as a 4TH year junior averaged less ppg & rpg than Sanchez did in his freshman season.  That said he will have to work his arse off to become a good player that can help us in the future.

You're forgetting an important statistic: minutes per game.  I think we would have been smart to keep Cyrus McGowan.  Not because I think he was all world but he could have provided some much needed back up.

Sivad

Quote from: moses_007 on April 01, 2009, 09:58:11 pm
Sources are indicating that Bruce Pearl has been offered a 7 year 21 million dollar offer from the University of Memphis.
Ole Nolan gets told to "forget it" again.
NOBODY wants or will hire him.
And it is his own fault.

ALLVOL

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: The Boar War on April 02, 2009, 04:18:10 pm
You're forgetting an important statistic: minutes per game.  I think we would have been smart to keep Cyrus McGowan.  Not because I think he was all world but he could have provided some much needed back up.

He would have provided some depth, but i think his only getting 15 mpg might have had to do with shooting 37% from the floor as a PF...

The Boar War

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 04:24:24 pm
He would have provided some depth, but i think his only getting 15 mpg might have had to do with shooting 37% from the floor as a PF...

He got more like 2.8 minutes per game and shot 3 for 12 for the year.  Again I'm not saying he would have been the answer but I doubt it would have hurt to keep him around.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: The Boar War on April 02, 2009, 04:50:41 pm
He got more like 2.8 minutes per game and shot 3 for 12 for the year.  Again I'm not saying he would have been the answer but I doubt it would have hurt to keep him around.

Are we still talking about Cyrus McGowan at Miami.  He started 22 of 32 games, averaged 15 mpg shot 37% from the field & 4.6 ppg & 4.4 rpg. And i agree he could have provided some depth on this years team...

The Boar War

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 04:57:03 pm
Are we still talking about Cyrus McGowan at Miami.  He started 22 of 32 games, averaged 15 mpg shot 37% from the field & 4.6 ppg & 4.4 rpg. And i agree he could have provided some depth on this years team...

You're probably right.  I was looking at his 06-07 stats from Arkansas.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

MaxMaloney

I don't understand why teams are going after Tim Floyd and Bruce Pearl.  Neither has been beyond the Sweet 16.

WilsonHog

WREG-TV in Memphis announced tonight that Bruce Pearl agreed to a contract extension and would be staying in Knoxville. Memphis officials denied that a contract offer had been made to Pearl to become their new coach.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 02, 2009, 03:57:47 pm
My bad, I was talking about signed, sealed & delivered.  I do see where he has a 5* committed for next year, that is fairly impressive, and I do know after the Dave Bliss mess Drew had an uphill battle, but fairly or not you are comparing someone in their 6th year at a school to someone in their 2nd.  Baylor might become relevant in the Big 12 but they aren't there yet. 

Counting Drew's first four years is a stretch.  Baylor was on probation until 2007.  This included reduced number of scholarships and a limit on the college paying for official visits for recruits.

MNHogFan

Yea, FOX 13 out of Memphis just announced that Pearl has been offered an extension and raise at UT. Sounds like he pulled a play out of HDN's playbook.

mbgrulz

Quote from: MaxMaloney on April 02, 2009, 08:49:52 pm
I don't understand why teams are going after Tim Floyd and Bruce Pearl.  Neither has been beyond the Sweet 16.
I don't get Bruce Pearl either. He is overrated.

Simply having Tim Floyd on your bench makes you better. He is a top quality coach.