Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson staying at Missouri per ESPN....

Started by hogshead22, March 31, 2009, 07:51:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogshead22

Olhickory

Getting 1.3 million- 1.5 million per year to stay at Mizzou.  Turning down 2.1 million to go to UGA

rzrbackrob

Heard earlier today that Georgia was offering 2+ million and Missouri was only offering 1.2 million.
Good is the enemy of great

intoxhog

Thank you!!!!!! Now we may have a shot at him next year!
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

High Octane Hog

Quote from: Cooper on March 31, 2009, 07:55:19 pm
Hopefully he's staying because he knows there may be an opening at another certain SEC school after next season.

*crosses fingers*
Very interesting should things develop, or not. 

hogshead22

I am thinking that Mike may realize that Georgia and Memphis are both tough situations, for different reasons.  He has put in 3 years of building Missouri back up to a good level.  Perhaps he is going to be the kind of coach who finds a place where he is comfortable and it does not become about the money.  Very happy for him, he is a class act and I think he will continue to do well.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogshead22 on March 31, 2009, 07:51:49 pm
Getting a raise and a 7 year deal.
Great move by Mizzo. congrats to mike. i am very happy for him.im now of the opinion that that Mike will never coach here. that ship has sailed.to bad.

alaback

and Nolan has expressed interest in the Memphis job.

ruarealhogfan

Read his salary was doubled to 1.6 million. 

HoopS

I'm happy about this.  I'd rather he stay there than go to Memphis or into our conference.  He signed a nice raise, wonder what his buyout will be.

passinghog

He's a smart man. Memphis, I thought, was a very strong possibility. UGA, on the other hand, was just a bad job.

Jim Harrick even tried to cheat @ UGA and couldn't win for heaven's sake! No way was he going to take the worst job in the SEC.

forrest city joe

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 31, 2009, 08:05:38 pm
Read his salary was doubled to 1.6 million. 
As it should have been. he is an outstanding coach.

batmanfan

Awesome.  Thats a relief.

I see Mike here this time next year.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

secfan30

RedSatinHog

Quote from: alaback on March 31, 2009, 08:04:28 pm
and Nolan has expressed interest in the Memphis job.

Mempho will back off as soon as they realize that he is bringing Notes as an assistant coach, and plans to have him hired as a successor.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

forrest city joe

regi

Quote from: passinghog on March 31, 2009, 08:07:20 pm
He's a smart man. Memphis, I thought, was a very strong possibility. UGA, on the other hand, was just a bad job.

Jim Harrick even tried to cheat @ UGA and couldn't win for heaven's sake! No way was he going to take the worst job in the SEC.

No. Harrick won, he cheated, but he won. 13-3 his last season and looking like a tourny contender that could make a deep run behind Jarvis Hayes. He cheated, but he did win at UGA. he also averaged over 8000 for conference games.

UGA has major potential. Someone will do something big at a major campus (38,000 students), just 67 miles from Atlanta (35 miles from east metro Atlanta) a city of 6 million. People crap on their history, but the resources are here.

Another thing, Stegman is a dump, but so is Cameron Indoor (older than Stegman BTW). The difference is that Bball is everything at Duke, so Cameron like Finway Park has character, tradition and charm. Stegman is a place that houses the NC gymnastics team.

mizzouman

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2009, 08:39:54 pm
You guys got one hell of a coach. and a good man to go with it.

Thanks FCJ and I think the Tiger Nation knows that and appreciates everything that MA has done over the last 3 years.  We may not have the same success next year due to 3 starting seniors departing but we have a bright future with the youngs guns coming back.

HoopS

No, replacing 3 starters is no excuse. 

:D

3kgthog

Just more proof of how stupid it is for Alabama to be paying Anthony Grant $2 million. He hasn't earned that salary. Mike Anderson has.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HoopS on March 31, 2009, 08:48:28 pm
No, replacing 3 starters is no excuse. 

:D

How about 5 & the top 2 reserves???

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 31, 2009, 08:49:49 pm
Just more proof of how stupid it is for Alabama to be paying Anthony Grant $2 million. He hasn't earned that salary. Mike Anderson has.

So true. Alabama was desperate...

HoopS

No, that's simple man.  Haven't you been reading around here.   Happens all the time.

kingofdequeen

i'm absolutely GIDDY!!!

I think Nolan's "interest" in the Memphis job is a ruse....

Back-channel stuff is going down here...MA is staying at Mizzou for 1 reason (and you know what that means...)

chiefsfan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 31, 2009, 09:11:18 pm
i'm absolutely GIDDY!!!

I think Nolan's "interest" in the Memphis job is a ruse....

Back-channel stuff is going down here...MA is staying at Mizzou for 1 reason (and you know what that means...)

You realize if Pelphrey turns out to have a great year, that Arkansas will probably never get Anderson

there is no reason at all to be giddy about his decision.  the only thing good about it is that he doesnt coach in the SEC.    Dont just assume that he's guaranteed to come back...for all we know pelphrey may lead us to a sweet 16 in the next 2 years
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

passinghog

Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 08:41:49 pm
No. Harrick won, he cheated, but he won. 13-3 his last season and looking like a tourny contender that could make a deep run behind Jarvis Hayes. He cheated, but he did win at UGA. he also averaged over 8000 for conference games.

UGA has major potential. Someone will do something big at a major campus (38,000 students), just 67 miles from Atlanta (35 miles from east metro Atlanta) a city of 6 million. People crap on their history, but the resources are here.

Another thing, Stegman is a dump, but so is Cameron Indoor (older than Stegman BTW). The difference is that Bball is everything at Duke, so Cameron like Finway Park has character, tradition and charm. Stegman is a place that houses the NC gymnastics team.

Georgia (Southeastern Conference) (1999–2003)
1999-2000 Georgia 10-20 3-13 6th (East) 
2000-01 Georgia 16-15 9-7 3rd (East) NCAA Round of 64
2001-02 Georgia 22-10* 10-6* T-1st (East)* NCAA Round of 32*
2002-03 Georgia 19-8* 11-5* 3rd (East) 
Georgia: 67-53** 33-31**

That's an average at best record. Again, UGA is the worst job in the SEC East, at least. After 100 yrs worth of resources, and no one has been able to sustain success? There's a reason for that. It's a bad job. At the very least they'd have to upgrade their facilities to even have a consistent chance @ the best ATL players.

WhenPigsFly

If Anderson just signed a 7 year extension, don't you figure the buyout on his end to be pretty substantial?

For us to get him, we would have to pay the buyout, plus a salary in the $2 million a year range.  Could be he's very happy in a good situation.

HoopS

Maybe Butch Davis contacted him and had him put that "Arkansas clause" in his contract like Butch did.

ChicoHog

I was hoping he would take the Georgia job so we could beat their arse next year and shut up all you MA lovers. 

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 31, 2009, 09:58:15 pm
I was hoping he would take the Georgia job so we could beat their arse next year and shut up all you MA lovers. 

With what Hog basketball has been thru the last few years, Anderson looks like the second coming of John Wooden!

Break & Run

That's harsh considering he's an Arkansas guy...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

The Hogfather

March 31, 2009, 10:21:10 pm #32 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:24:40 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 08:41:49 pm

Been screaming it for at least a week now.  Someone will succeed there, more so than Tubby Smith did there.  That job has a lot more potential than Missouri and a lot more money too.  Anderson won't duplicate the success he had this year at Missouri.  In fact, I'm still taking friendly wagers on how far they get in the NCAAT next year, if they make it.  I bet big man points that they don't make it past the 2nd round next year.  Any takers?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on March 31, 2009, 10:06:22 pm

That's harsh considering he's an Arkansas guy...

So is TCTWF.   :puke:

The fact that TT is an Arkansas guy didn't make beating Aubie any less sweet.

passinghog

I doubt MA's new contract has a large buyout. Calipari only had a $200,000 buyout in his contract @ Memphis.

Porkatarian

The Hogfather,

I'll bet you lunch that they (Mizzou) will advance deeper into the tournament next year than we do.

I'll be really happy if I lose this bet and have to buy you lunch!

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 31, 2009, 10:54:24 pm
The Hogfather,

I'll bet you lunch that they (Mizzou) will advance deeper into the tournament next year than we do.

I'll be really happy if I lose this bet and have to buy you lunch!

Porkatarian out...

i'll buy you lunch tomorrow if you'll tell me WTH is going on w/ our BBall team...

PM me...i'm not sh!tting you.

Coondog Hog

Better learn to love him he'll be ours again someday
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

batmanfan

I want Mike to do average next year and for us to totally blow so we can get ride of Failphrey and the Sunbelt crew.  That a way we can bring Mike back home.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: batmanfan on March 31, 2009, 11:01:11 pm
I want Mike to do average next year and for us to totally blow so we can get ride of Failphrey and the Sunbelt crew.  That a way we can bring Mike back home.

I don't like Pel much either, but I'll never wish for the Razorbacks to lose.

If he's still here next year that means that we won more than 2 conference games and finished over .500.

kingofdequeen

i wish we could get MA.

however, I also WISH pel would do so well next year that I bite my tounge daily as punishment for doubting him.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 31, 2009, 11:07:15 pm
i wish we could get MA.

however, I also WISH pel would do so well next year that I bite my tounge daily as punishment for doubting him.

This would work for me too I just want to win big soon i'm tired of the Hogs being irrealevant.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

WILL CLINTON

Thank you to whoever played mediator to get him the message.......

All we have to do is endure another pelphrey season, then....AHHHHHHHH
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

MizzouRah

I am very pleased to hear about this.  I was actually working at the U of A when Nolan's tenure came to an end and I observed then how highly everyone thought of Coach Anderson even when things were unpleasant.  I told my friends when we were hiring a coach that

1.  If we hired Anderson he would be loyal and we would not regret it and

2.  He could really make Leo Lyons a big time player (he is relative to where he was when Mike arrived).

I really haven't been all that concerned about him leaving.

I am very happy to hear this and happy to hear that our boosters were able to make an attractive offer even if it was less than UGA wanted to pay.

moses_007

March 31, 2009, 11:26:30 pm #44 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:36:19 pm by moses_007
Missouri has always been a basketball school, whereas Georgia has not.  I think Georgia is still playing in the old fieldhouse I saw in Athens when I used to go there to a business communicators conference every Fall in the 1970s.

M L (bassplayer)

I think Mike has moved on from his days as a  :razorback:. It seems crazy to think he would come here again.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: Cooper on March 31, 2009, 07:55:19 pm
Hopefully he's staying because he knows there may be an opening at another certain SEC school after next season.

*crosses fingers*

Here's hoping.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 31, 2009, 08:32:31 pm
Mempho will back off as soon as they realize that he is bringing Notes as an assistant coach, and plans to have him hired as a successor.

I thought Nolan hated Mempiss from his time coaching against them while here.

NWASooner

Georgia is a black hole of a basketball job.  Tubby won there but that's about it.

Missouri is one of the more underachieving basketball programs out there.  It should be very easy to recruit and win.

I'd much rather live in Athens than Columbia, though....

mizzouman

Apparently, according to some big time boosters, MA left $700,000 per year on the table to remain at Mizzou.