Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari (Merged)

Started by dhornjr1, March 31, 2009, 01:05:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2009, 01:03:40 am
They are players he recruited and if they want to follow him then it should not be an issue.  Sure was not an issue when BG and RM wanted to come back to Arkansas.  Lets be honest, they were going to play for him, not Memphis.

I understand what you're saying.
But is it fair to Memphis, to lose their ENTIRE recruiting class this year (it's a little late now to start over), plus lose 2 maybe 3 players who are already there. That program has been decimated. What coach wants to go there now with maybe only 5 or 6 scholarship players left. The equivalent in football would be like 20 starting players leaving and following the coach. Coaches leave schools all the time, but the school they left is usually not destroyed in the process.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pork Twain

April 01, 2009, 11:40:21 pm #151 Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:21:53 am by BeoPig™
Quote from: hoglady on April 01, 2009, 09:17:27 pm
I understand what you're saying.
But is it fair to Memphis, to lose their ENTIRE recruiting class this year (it's a little late now to start over), plus lose 2 maybe 3 players who are already there. That program has been decimated. What coach wants to go there now with maybe only 5 or 6 scholarship players left. The equivalent in football would be like 20 starting players leaving and following the coach. Coaches leave schools all the time, but the school they left is usually not destroyed in the process.
I am talking about recruits, not players on campus, but the same can be said for them.  They all signed up to play for Coach Cal and Memphis did well because he was their coach and recruiter.  I know this sucks for Memphis but it would suck much more for the kids that are playing the game.  Saying Memphis will be destroyed is kinda sensationalizing it.  Where were they before Cal came along and brought all these players in?  Comparing football and basketball is not something I get into.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4031119
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoglady

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2009, 11:40:21 pm
I am talking about recruits, not players on campus, but the same can be said for them.  They all signed up to play for Coach Cal and Memphis did well because he was their coach and recruiter.  I know this sucks for Memphis but it would suck much more for the kids that are playing the game.  Saying Memphis will be destroyed is kinda sensationalizing it.  Where were they before Cal came along and brought all these players in?  Comparing football and basketball is not something I get into.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4031119

When you lose your entire recruiting class and half your team, with no time to find replacements (it's a little late in the recruiting game) I would say that pretty much does you in for quite a while. Wonder how many scholarship players Kentucky will send packing to make room for the Memphis players?? I think they only have 1 available, so there will be many Kentucky players looking for a new school.
It's just a bad situation for the players of both schools and the Memphis program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2009, 08:23:48 am
When you lose your entire recruiting class and half your team, with no time to find replacements (it's a little late in the recruiting game) I would say that pretty much does you in for quite a while. Wonder how many scholarship players Kentucky will send packing to make room for the Memphis players?? I think they only have 1 available, so there will be many Kentucky players looking for a new school.
It's just a bad situation for the players of both schools and the Memphis program.
That might be true but I still do not see anything wrong with it and I know if he was coming here and bringing them, we would be cheering.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hoglady

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 02, 2009, 09:55:13 am
That might be true but I still do not see anything wrong with it and I know if he was coming here and bringing them, we would be cheering.

You're probably right.
And I also know if he was leaving here and taking half the team and the recruits we would be howling - especially if we were looking forward to a NC run next year.

b0sc0b

There might be some academic considerations as to the UM class qualifying at an SEC school.  Anyone?
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 01, 2009, 08:07:45 pm
$31.65 million over 8 years.

University pays base salary of $400,000/yr.

The majority comes from media contracts, sponsorships, and SEC Revenue sharing.

Their AD made a point of saying that paying the right coach is an investment that benefits the entire university and the so-called "Olympic sports".

Incentive Bonus Structure for Coach Calipari:

$50,000 for winning the SEC Regular Season

$50,000 for winning the SEC Tournament

$50,000 if the UK team achieves a .950 Academic Progress Rate

$50,000 if the team achieves a 75 percent or better graduation rate

$175,000 for reaching the Final Four

$375,000 for winning the National Championship

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2009, 10:16:09 am
You're probably right.
And I also know if he was leaving here and taking half the team and the recruits we would be howling - especially if we were looking forward to a NC run next year.
Damn straight...  It is all about perspective.