Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari (Merged)

Started by dhornjr1, March 31, 2009, 01:05:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

We're less than 6 hours from April Fool's Day.  He will pull an Altman.   ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Razorvet

So it turns out if your willing to pay the coach what hes worth you can go out and get a big name coach who has no reason to leave thier current position. Maybe trying to get a coach on the cheap isnt the best policy.

rljjr

Yea! I can't wait for Kentucky to be good again!!! (SARCASM)
I'm also jazzed to hear that Mike Anderson is interested in Georgia!!! (MORE SARCASM)

40MINSOFHELL

great, i always wanted to beat that cheating calipari....now we can since he is going to kentucky, excellent

jobiegohog

great day for a west memphis boy who is a tiger hater and bleeds razorback red. maybe i can watch the local news again.

moses_007

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on March 31, 2009, 06:16:56 pm
great, i always wanted to beat that cheating calipari....now we can since he is going to kentucky, excellent

There's no proof he ever cheated at any program he coached.  Why do Hog fans so hate this man?

bigdaddy220

I keep reading that he and Rick Pitino hate each other.  Can someone enlighten me on this?

tconey1

Sully on 7 just said it was a done deal. Calapari to UK and UM after Anderson.

bigdaddy220

Kentucky board celebrating and saying it is a done deal.

bigdaddy220

calipari has made up his mind.  according to news sources and ky board he is the new coach and the celebrations have began.

bigdaddy220

jkcrunch

Anderson according to ESPN News is getting offered 2 mil a year to go to UGA, I am guessing Memphis comes up with bigger offer

jobiegohog

funny how memphis is trying to lure the coach who just spanked their arse!!!!! lmao

hoglady

I would be really upset if I was a Memphis fan right now.
It's one thing to lose your coach, it's another thing to lose your recruits and existing players. If Kentucky let's that happen, they are a totally classless bunch. It's the Kentucky AD's responsibility to not just decimate another program like that. I've always hated Kentucky - I will really hate them now.
You know the city of Memphis and their corporate leaders did good by Calipari. I don't blame him for leaving, but don't destroy Memphis in the process.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

linze82

i am praying mike a turns down memphis
smite me bishes

duckhuntark

Quote from: Razorvet on March 31, 2009, 06:09:20 pm
So it turns out if your willing to pay the coach what hes worth you can go out and get a big name coach who has no reason to leave thier current position. Maybe trying to get a coach on the cheap isnt the best policy.

I think Arkansas threw alot of money out to coaches if they wanted to come here before we hired Pel.  Arkansas is not a dream job for any coaches now but maybe Pel can bring us back to that level.  We tried to hire Bill Self, Calipari so we tried but no sucess.

rzrbackrob

If you live in Memphis, that shaking is not an earthquake, it is all the Tiger High fans jumping off the bandwagon.
Good is the enemy of great

hawgsav1

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 31, 2009, 07:08:24 pm
If you live in Memphis, that shaking is not an earthquake, it is all the Tiger High fans jumping off the bandwagon.

+1
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

redbarn

Calipari wasn't coming to Arkansas for any amount of money and he could have stayed at Memphis and received more than he will make at Kentucky.  There were only five teams he was ever interested in leaving Memphis for and Kentucky was one of them. 
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

TomasPistola

Quote from: rljjr on March 31, 2009, 06:10:17 pm
Yea! I can't wait for Kentucky to be good again!!! (SARCASM)
I'm also jazzed to hear that Mike Anderson is interested in Georgia!!! (MORE SARCASM)

Mike might be going to Memphis too.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

PearlHarbor

Quote from: duckhuntark on March 31, 2009, 06:56:47 pm

I think Arkansas threw alot of money out to coaches if they wanted to come here before we hired Pel.  Arkansas is not a dream job for any coaches now but maybe Pel can bring us back to that level.  We tried to hire Bill Self, Calipari so we tried but no sucess.

You don't really think Frank Broyles ever offered anyone big money?

TomasPistola

Quote from: PearlHarbor on March 31, 2009, 07:30:31 pm

Seems like he was more interested in being at Augusta wasn't he?
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on March 31, 2009, 06:20:55 pm
There's no proof he ever cheated at any program he coached.  Why do Hog fans so hate this man?

I'm a Hog fan and I love Calipari.
Let me rephrase that - I loved Calipari - I can't love someone while they're coaching a Kentucky basketball team.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ironside

This whole thing is sickening. One can not blame Calipari for leaving to go to UK. However, here are the points that make this sickening, yet not surprising. It mirror's our society today and why we are in the shape we are in.

Greed & Corporate mentality that thinks legal = moral.

1. Calipari taking recruits( and current players at UM) with him instead of encouraging them to stay at the school he recruited them to attend.
2. University of Kentucky for making Calipari by far the highest paid basketball coach when all we hear is how bad the economy is.
3. Memphis boosters, namely Fred Smith for offering him even more than Kentucky offered. Sure it is Fred Smith's money but it is shameful he is doing this at a time Fedex is talking about layoffs.

I thank you.

jobiegohog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 31, 2009, 07:23:15 pm
+1
Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 31, 2009, 07:08:24 pm
that was classic!

hawgsav1

Quote from: moses_007 on March 31, 2009, 06:20:55 pm

The NCAA wouldn't make UMass vacate every win they had with Marcus Camby if Calipari didn't know anything about Camby's dealings.  Camby was given nearly 100k in cash and TONS of other gifts.  Camby got one of the agents/boosters (Wesley Spears) to let him rent a car for 17 days.  You're telling me Calipari is so blind that he wouldn't have noticed Camby driving around in a shiny new rental car for a couple of days and sporting several thousand dollars worth of jewelry and bling?  Also, Camby had the boosters get him prostitutes as well.

Most of Memphis' roster from his first Final Four run had to qualify via prep school, so it's not exactly like they are the academic all star team.  Also, Tiger High's history of cheating (think the 1985 Memphis State Tigers) and the history of cheating boosters around that program doesn't lend itself to Calipari's credibility.  Also, the president of FedEx (who is a big Memphis booster), was known to be placing calls to Abdul Gaddy (a BIG no no).  The old adage of "where there's smoke, there is fire" tends to apply.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how Calipari insulted our program as well.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: TomasPistola on March 31, 2009, 07:26:02 pm
Mike might be going to Memphis too.

Wow, he really is something.  Might be coaching at Georgia and Memphis too.  Oh well, they're in different conferences.

Wild Bill Hog

March 31, 2009, 08:04:00 pm #127 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:08:06 pm by Wild Bill Hog
Quote from: PearlHarbor on March 31, 2009, 07:30:31 pm

I believe he did to Bill Self and John Calipari unless John White nixed it.  We'll never know how much or little authority JFB had at that point.

bigdaddy220

One more try...why the animosity between Rick Pitino and John Calipari? Does anyone know or is everyone just guessing and writing about it with no basis???

hawgsav1

Quote from: bigdaddy220 on March 31, 2009, 08:11:28 pm
One more try...why the animosity between Rick Pitino and John Calipari? Does anyone know or is everyone just guessing and writing about it with no basis???

The only interaction I really know of is the fact that Calipari and UMass beat Kentucky during the 1996 season and then Kentucky returned the favor during the 1996 Final Four.

hawgsav1

I think it also had to do with the fact that when Louisville was in CUSA, him and Calipari used to verbally spar about the other teams' rough play.

bigdaddy220

I know the games between us and KY during Pitino's and Nolan's years were very tight, but they still got along well.  Seems it must be more than just the rivalry between the teams.

hawgsav1

Quote from: bigdaddy220 on March 31, 2009, 08:24:49 pm
I know the games between us and KY during Pitino's and Nolan's years were very tight, but they still got along well.  Seems it must be more than just the rivalry between the teams.

I think there is a difference.  Nolan and Pitino never resorted to name-calling.  Both Pitino and Calipari accused the opposing team of 'dirty' play.  Calipari first accused Pitino's Louisville teams of being 'excessively physical'.  Pitino fired back by saying that Calipari's UMass teams tried to take out members of the 1996 Kentucky team with dirty play, etc.  There may be other issues as well.

hogball33

Kentucky is gonna push that Hog streak from losses since 01 for a bit.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 31, 2009, 08:00:40 pm
Wow, he really is something.  Might be coaching at Georgia and Memphis too.  Oh well, they're in different conferences.

Dick! ;)
You were right.
You did a great job.

bigdaddy220

Thanks, hawgsav1, that makes more sense.  I have always liked Pitino but never really had an opinion of Cal.

3kgthog

It appears as if SEC basketball is going to catch up with SEC football in terms of bloated salaries. Jeff Long needs to get on the ball with kissing some butts so we can get that semi-wasteful practice facility and Pelphrey just needs to do something. Anything. If they don't we are going to be light years behind everyone in the SEC within 3-4 years. We may already be halfway there.

rzrbackrob

This saga is a perfect time find out if Cal is a slimball or just a misunderstood guy.

Slimeball:
Takes the recruits he had lined up at Tiger High and signs them at Kentucky. In essence, he used Tiger High's resources to recruit players at Kentucky. Accepts at Kentucky the kids currently at Memphis that want to transfer, leaving a school that worshiped him with hardly enough players to field a team.

Honorable guy:
Stops recruiting anybody he had lined up for this year at Memphis. Refuses this year to accept any transfers from Memphis. Memphis may lose some players and not get any of Cal's recruits, but that will be on them and their new coach. Cal has the right to leave and coach somewhere else.
Good is the enemy of great

TomasPistola

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 31, 2009, 08:59:43 pm
This saga is a perfect time find out if Cal is a slimball or just a misunderstood guy.

Slimeball:
Takes the recruits he had lined up at Tiger High and signs them at Kentucky. In essence, he used Tiger High's resources to recruit players at Kentucky. Accepts at Kentucky the kids currently at Memphis that want to transfer, leaving a school that worshiped him with hardly enough players to field a team.

Honorable guy:
Stops recruiting anybody he had lined up for this year at Memphis. Refuses this year to accept any transfers from Memphis. Memphis may lose some players and not get any of Cal's recruits, but that will be on them and their new coach. Cal has the right to leave and coach somewhere else.

Put your Money on "Slimeball".
You were right.
You did a great job.

danielpark05

if the land john wall and demarco cousins switches to UK then the SEC well have a real power house next year it well be good because we just signed the espn deal for more games. this could bring the sec out of its slump

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hoglady

That's not just Calipari's decision on the Memphis recruits and possible transfers. The AD of Kentucky should step in now and say how it's going to be. Kentucky and Calipari have the ability to basically destroy Memphis basketball. Why would you destroy something you spent 9 years of your life building? The whole thing is sickening.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoglady on April 01, 2009, 12:48:55 am
That's not just Calipari's decision on the Memphis recruits and possible transfers. The AD of Kentucky should step in now and say how it's going to be. Kentucky and Calipari have the ability to basically destroy Memphis basketball. Why would you destroy something you spent 9 years of your life building? The whole thing is sickening.

They are players he recruited and if they want to follow him then it should not be an issue.  Sure was not an issue when BG and RM wanted to come back to Arkansas.  Lets be honest, they were going to play for him, not Memphis.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clutch

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2009, 01:03:40 am
They are players he recruited and if they want to follow him then it should not be an issue.  Sure was not an issue when BG and RM wanted to come back to Arkansas.  Lets be honest, they were going to play for him, not Memphis.

You make a good point. They were going to Memphis for his style of basketball that the top high school talents want to play. They weren't going to Memphis because they loved the city or the school. They wanted to play for Memphis because of Calapari. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't of even opened a letter from Memphis.

Pork Twain

Quote from: clutch on April 01, 2009, 01:06:57 am
You make a good point. They were going to Memphis for his style of basketball that the top high school talents want to play. They weren't going to Memphis because they loved the city or the school. They wanted to play for Memphis because of Calapari. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't of even opened a letter from Memphis.
I bet these same people would be all for it if Cal was coming to Arkansas and bringing these players along.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgsav1

Quote from: bigdaddy220 on March 31, 2009, 08:48:45 pm
Thanks, hawgsav1, that makes more sense.  I have always liked Pitino but never really had an opinion of Cal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031804

More info on the relationship between the two.

moses_007

bigdaddy220

Thanks hawgsav1, great find!

LRMedHawg

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 01, 2009, 02:38:29 am
I bet these same people would be all for it if Cal was coming to Arkansas and bringing these players along.

No joke.  The fact remains that the players Cal could bring in are absolutely top notch.  With Meeks and Patterson and those 3 guys they could be competing for alot more than a SEC championship.  Look at what Derrick Rose did for Memphis and even Tyreke Evans this year.  He has at least 2 guys who are close to that same talent level in his pocket.  Why on earth would any school or coach turn them away.

jbcarol

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 31, 2009, 01:17:58 pm
If the reports are true he will be the highest paid coach in college athletics.

$31.65 million over 8 years.

University pays base salary of $400,000/yr.

The majority comes from media contracts, sponsorships, and SEC Revenue sharing.

Their AD made a point of saying that paying the right coach is an investment that benefits the entire university and the so-called "Olympic sports".
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net