Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's official,,, Georgia offers Mike Anderson!

Started by intoxhog, March 31, 2009, 09:37:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

intoxhog

http://georgia.scout.com/2/852239.html

Good thing for Georgia that they don't know he is not good enough to be the coach at the U of A.  :puke: 
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

oklahogjr

i think he would be good enough but we have a coach and i think hiring anderson would be a lateral move right now
lets go bowlin

intoxhog

Im sick right now thinking about OUR brand of basketball being used at another SEC school.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Oliver

Quote from: oklahogjr on March 31, 2009, 09:39:08 am
i think he would be good enough but we have a coach and i think hiring anderson would be a lateral move right now

How so?

linze82

Quote from: intoxhog on March 31, 2009, 09:42:20 am
Im sick right now thinking about OUR brand of basketball being used at another SEC school.

2 other schools
smite me bishes

donewithdale

Quote from: linze82 on March 31, 2009, 09:50:45 am
2 other schools

I'm guessing you are including Florida or Bama in addition to possibly UGa.  Where did Bama's coach develop his 'style' of play?  Was it the same place our current coach was an assistant on the same staff? 

GeneKeadysRug

Quote from: intoxhog on March 31, 2009, 09:42:20 am

it's not our brand. nolan richardson brought it with him and it left when he was fired. mike anderson has it and will win an sec championship at georgia before pelphrey does.

intoxhog

Quote from: linze82 on March 31, 2009, 09:50:45 am
2 other schools
No one runs is like MA does, nobody! It is the true 40 minutes of Hell!

donewithdale

You MA to Ark people should want this.  He'll be ready to leave Athens after recruiting against the ACC for a couple seasons.  Well if you still want him after he suffers through a few seasons at UGa.  He should hope Mizzou comes up with a little more money and he should stay vs going to UGa.

intoxhog

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 31, 2009, 09:53:49 am
it's not our brand. nolan Richardson brought it with him and it left when he was fired. mike Anderson has it and will win an sec championship at Georgia before pelphrey does.
I don't care who brought it, we had it for 18 years and went to 3 final fours, 2 championship games and 1 NC. Its was our Identity to the rest to the college basketball world. We needed MA back and blew it. I give up!

GeneKeadysRug

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2009, 10:02:46 am
You MA to Ark people should want this.  He'll be ready to leave Athens after recruiting against the ACC for a couple seasons.  Well if you still want him after he suffers through a few seasons at UGa.  He should hope Mizzou comes up with a little more money and he should stay vs going to UGa.

thats what they said about nolan when he had to recruit against sec schools. worked out better than most thought.

hoglady

Can't see leaving Mizzou for Georgia.
Especially when he appears to be in line for the Memphis job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: intoxhog on March 31, 2009, 09:37:50 am

Good thing for Georgia that they don't know he is not good enough to be the coach at the U of A.  :puke: 

Jeff Long did not see the need to fire the coach he has; therefore, there wasn't an opening at Arkansas.  I don't think anyone is saying MA isn't good enough to coach at the U of A.  Now Kentucky and Bama didn't think MA was the best choice available, but NO ONE connected with Arkansas has dissed MA in any way.

intoxhog

March 31, 2009, 10:25:29 am #14 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:29:07 am by intoxhog
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 31, 2009, 10:22:18 am
Jeff Long did not see the need to fire the coach he has; therefore, there wasn't an opening at Arkansas.  I don't think anyone is saying MA isn't good enough to coach at the U of A.  Now Kentucky and Bama didn't think MA was the best choice available, but NO ONE connected with Arkansas has dissed MA in any way.
JFB did in 2002. Hey all I'm saying is that it's time to cut bait and run while you can. Ill be the first to say i believe Pell is a really nice guy but it doesn't take a scientific rocket (Danny Ford quote) to see the writing on the wall.

Lard

MA would be crazy to go to Georgia.  Mizzou is a much better job than GA.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

donewithdale

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 31, 2009, 10:05:52 am
thats what they said about nolan when he had to recruit against sec schools. worked out better than most thought.

Yes since Nolan spent 1985 - 1991 recruiting vs SWC schools to build his program.

hogfan064

Why would you leave Missouri for Georgia.  Missouri actually has fans show up at the arena.  Yeah, I know the State of Georgia has talent in it,but that talent won't end up at UGA.  It will end up in the ACC. 

If Anderson takes this job then he has made a bad move.  There's a reason UGA has only been to the NCAA tourney 10 times in its history and has only 1 conference championship. 

want2be

Mizzou will probably match any offers up to 2 mil and he will likely stay

Now if Memphis offers him over 2 mil it could get interesting

hoglady

You've got to give it up for Georgia though, that's alot of jack to offer a basketball coach, especially at a football school. Sounds like there admin is serious about upgrading their basketball program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Oliver

Quote from: hoglady on March 31, 2009, 10:36:02 am
You've got to give it up for Georgia though, that's alot of jack to offer a basketball coach, especially at a football school. Sounds like there admin is serious about upgrading their basketball program.

Absolutely.  They've had a plan from the very beginning to wait and offer a name coach the job, not be cheap about it, and they probably even have a backup plan as well should Anderson turn them down. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: intoxhog on March 31, 2009, 10:25:29 am
JFB did in 2002. Hey all I'm saying is that it's time to cut bait and run while you can. Ill be the first to say i believe Pell is a really nice guy but it doesn't take a scientific rocket (Danny Ford quote) to see the writing on the wall.

Blame John White (and another of his puppet committees) 100% for Heath.  If left up to JFB it would have been Bill Self coaching on the Hill.

hogfan064

Quote from: hoglady on March 31, 2009, 10:36:02 am

Announcing that they are offering that much and doing it are 2 different things.  South Carolina was willing to pay 2 million for a coach last year if a big name would come.  A big name didn't come and they settled for a young mid major coach, something Georgia will do when this is all over. 

psooie

Dumb Move to leave Missouri for UGA even with a bigger salary

Wild Bill Hog

Who in the world are the "they" you are referring to?  I really want to know because I don't remember that at all.  By the time we joined the SEC we were already rolling big time in BB.

hogfan064

Quote from: psooie on March 31, 2009, 10:44:58 am

Agreed.  Why would Anderson want to take on a rebuilding job when he just finished rebuilding the Missouri program?

The East has 5 teams next year all with legit shots at 20+ wins and a NCAA tourney bid.  Georgia has 0 talent.  It could take several years to build that program to something respectable.  By then UK and UF will be national powers again and UT will be coasting along with Pearl.  Vandy is maybe the best coached team in the league and USC is in a decent position with Horn it seems.  At best UGA pasts USC.

cdclark09

say what?

william.lane123

I agree!!!!!

intoxhog

Quote from: william.lane123 on March 31, 2009, 10:58:11 am

I agree!!!!!
He may be using UG intrest as leverage in his new contract with Mizzu.

regi

Quote from: psooie on March 31, 2009, 10:44:58 am

Disagree. This state is loaded with talent, UGA is 60 miles from the hoops hotbed of North Metro, Southwest and Southeast Atlanta. It is a very popular school with kids in the southeast. With the new ESPN contract and a commitment to B-Ball (including a new facility soon), Anderson or any coach would be stupid not to take this job. Mizzou is small potatoes, they will not match a 2.2 million dollar offer from UGA.

william.lane123

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 31, 2009, 09:53:49 am
it's not our brand. nolan richardson brought it with him and it left when he was fired. mike anderson has it and will win an sec championship at georgia before pelphrey does.

Would you like to make a small wager on that!!!!

Lard

Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 11:01:34 am
Disagree. This state is loaded with talent, UGA is 60 miles from the hoops hotbed of North Metro, Southwest and Southeast Atlanta. It is a very popular school with kids in the southeast. With the new ESPN contract and a commitment to B-Ball (including a new facility soon), Anderson or any coach would be stupid not to take this job. Mizzou is small potatoes, they will not match a 2.2 million dollar offer from UGA.
Unfortunately for Georgia.....none of that talent wants to go to Georgia.  They all go to the ACC.  Mike won't be able to change that.  That's just the way it is.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

hogfan064

Quote from: Lard on March 31, 2009, 11:09:44 am
Unfortunately for Georgia.....none of that talent wants to go to Georgia.  They all go to the ACC.  Mike won't be able to change that.  That's just the way it is.

Unless you live in this area its hard to understand.  South Carolina and Georgia are football states, but both have some good basketball talent.  Unfortunately none of that talent ends up in the SEC and all goes to the ACC.   Yes, Georgia is close to Atlanta, but Clemson is nearly as close and GT is in Atlanta.

In GA and in SC, the media gives all the attention to the ACC.  That's just the way it is.  Just look at the attendance for the SECT in Atlanta and the ACCT in Atlanta.  The ACC far outdraws the SEC.  Basketball kids grow up as UNC or Duke fans, not UGA.   I actually have several friends that are Duke/UNC fans in basketball and UGA ans in football. 

passinghog

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:14:26 am
Unless you live in this area its hard to understand.  South Carolina and Georgia are football states, but both have some good basketball talent.  Unfortunately none of that talent ends up in the SEC and all goes to the ACC.   Yes, Georgia is close to Atlanta, but Clemson is nearly as close and GT is in Atlanta.

In GA and in SC, the media gives all the attention to the ACC.  That's just the way it is.  Just look at the attendance for the SECT in Atlanta and the ACCT in Atlanta.  The ACC far outdraws the SEC.  Basketball kids grow up as UNC or Duke fans, not UGA.   I actually have several friends that are Duke/UNC fans in basketball and UGA ans in football. 

this.

It's funny how some people are now suggesting Mike should take the UGA job. He's not taking that job. As much as I like Mike, what would make ATL kids to suddenly want to go to UGA?

*playing for a black coach?----already been attempted with Dennis Felton
*playing in the SEC?------actually, they'd rather play in the ACC for some reason
*play somewhere that supports basketball?----UGA doesn't support baskeball, is and always will be fball school.
*play somewhere with good facilities?------they don't exist at UGA

ATL players dont want to go to UGA. period.
Jim Harrick couldn't even cheat and get them to come there.

lovetthog1

Mark it down if Anderson goes to Georgia he will win an NCAA championship there. He has proven he doesnt need a bunch of Mcdonalds All Americans to get it done. Georgia is very fertile recruiting grounds and add to that the exposure the conference will be getting with this new ESPN deal and you have the perfect formula for success. If he can beat Kentucky with UAB guys then just imagine what he could do at Georgia. Anderson has a world of great options at his fingertips now, and he has earned it. Memphis would be a better fit than Georgia or Mizzou, but the new ESPN deal definitly makes things interesting in terms of potential.

regi

Quote from: Lard on March 31, 2009, 11:09:44 am

That is what you pay him the 2.2 million for. Get some of those kids to Athens, get them excited, the style he plays, excites kids.

Georgia high school players in the 2009 rivals top 150:
#4, #36, #38, #43, #48, #51, #53, #61, #74, #77, #96, #125.

Early 2010 rivals 150: (will change after this summer).
#26, #72, #91, #100, #125, #134, #141.

By comaprison, Arkansas only has #136 for 09 and #96 for 2010. (Pel has not offered either kid BTW).

hogfan064

Quote from: passinghog on March 31, 2009, 11:22:02 am

*playing in the SEC?------actually, they'd rather play in the ACC for some reason

I don't like the ACC, but I understand why kids want to play in it.  Those schools live and die college basketball.  Great atmospheres at all the traditional ACC schools.  The SEC does a poor job of supporting basketball outside of a few schools.  Watching a game at Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia, or Alabama is awful.  Empty, old arenas.

Pork Twain

Quote from: intoxhog on March 31, 2009, 09:37:50 am

Your broken record is anoying
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

regi

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 31, 2009, 11:22:29 am
Mark it down if Anderson goes to Georgia he will win an NCAA championship there. He has proven he doesnt need a bunch of Mcdonalds All Americans to get it done. Georgia is very fertile recruiting grounds and add to that the exposure the conference will be getting with this new ESPN deal and you have the perfect formula for success. If he can beat Kentucky with UAB guys then just imagine what he could do at Georgia. Anderson has a world of great options at his fingertips now, and he has earned it. Memphis would be a better fit than Georgia or Mizzou, but the new ESPN deal definitly makes things interesting in terms of potential.

The Memphis job is an easier job. They now have a national rep, and their conference is not good.

hogfan064

Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 11:25:03 am
That is what you pay him the 2.2 million for. Get some of those kids to Athens, get them excited, the style he plays, excites kids.

Georgia high school players in the 2009 rivals top 150:
#4, #36, #38, #43, #48, #51, #53, #61, #74, #77, #96, #125.

Early 2010 rivals 150: (will change after this summer).
#26, #72, #91, #100, #125, #134, #141.

By comaprison, Arkansas only has #136 for 09 and #96 for 2010. (Pel has not offered either kid BTW).

Noone will ever debate the talent in that state, but its very hard to convince a kid to play at Georgia when Duke and UNC are talking to you. 

You're a big time basketball player where do you want to go?  A school with a poor facility, empty arena on game nights, and no tradition or a school like UNC or Duke?

Think about how hard it is for Darrin Horn at USC.  He's got a new, 18,000 seat arena and fans that will rank top 25 in attendance, but kids don't want to go there.  USC isn't but about 2.5 hours from Atlanta and only an hour from Charlotte. 

This is ACC territory for basketball

hogfan064

Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 11:27:07 am
The Memphis job is an easier job. They now have a national rep, and their conference is not good.

They also have talent in their own city, a great arena, much better tradition and lots of fan support.

Memphis is a far better job than Georgia.  Not even close.

donewithdale

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:30:20 am
Noone will ever debate the talent in that state, but its very hard to convince a kid to play at Georgia when Duke and UNC are talking to you. 

You're a big time basketball player where do you want to go?  A school with a poor facility, empty arena on game nights, and no tradition or a school like UNC or Duke?

Think about how hard it is for Darrin Horn at USC.  He's got a new, 18,000 seat arena and fans that will rank top 25 in attendance, but kids don't want to go there.  USC isn't but about 2.5 hours from Atlanta and only an hour from Charlotte. 

Wake has been a player too in Atlanta recruiting.  UGa is fighting an uphill battle in Atlanta.  What players would go to the SEC can choose from UK, UT or Florida. 

But some of these people almost make me want to change my mind and wish UGa on Mike.  But he is too good of a guy for me to do that just yet.

passinghog

Jimmy Sexton is Mike Anderson's agent.
Just sit back and watch Sexton get MA a better contract from Mizzou or get Memphis involved if/when it opens. Mike Anderson won't be taking the UGA job, though.

Pork Twain

March 31, 2009, 11:43:58 am #43 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:45:45 am by BeoPig™
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 31, 2009, 11:31:37 am
I have this overwhelming dread that Stan Heath "the Sequel" is coming upon Razorback Nation.This time in the form of John Pelphrey. I can see the next few years being a carbon copy of the Stan Heath years, aka, gradually improving, getting just enough better and acruing just enough wins to keep the "dumbed down" expectations of razorback fans satisfied. 2-14 is NEVER acceptable on top of the "off the court" problems (which were Pelphrey's recruits). The idea that Pelphrey has just "one more year" in the minds of most of his backers in here is just as crazy because the man cannot possibly get this program back to where it's supposed to be in 1 more year from where it is now. So there we have our basketball kunundrum, a NO WIN situation. Therefore, its best to clean the slate, run the mal contents off and hire a new coach to begin anew. I know, I know, a pipe dream. The truth is we're going down that familiar, well-beaten path to the middle, straight into quicksand of mediocrity. And what is insidious about this, is that we'll be happy to be mediocre because we've seen what its like to be the very worst. UK pulled themselves out of the mire that is expected and accepted medocrity just in time to save their legacy....sadly, its too late for us, we're in over our heads and are just happy to get a breath of air every now and then.
You really do not know what he can or cannot do.  One more year is not going to kill you.  Like it or not, it takes time to dig a program out of the ashes.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 31, 2009, 11:22:29 am

He's more likely to win an NCAA Championship that he is an SEC-E Division Championship.  I mean there's always a chance of anything happening.  That snowball might not melt down there after all.

regi

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:30:20 am

Again, that is what the 2.2 million is for. Anderson will be paid to change the culture. Don't compare USC with UGA. Athens (10 times the college atmosphere of Columbia) is only 60 miles from a very diverse city of 6 million people. With those kind of numbers and a larger, wealthier Alumni base than USC, the right guy can make it work here. USC/ Clemson have an OleMiss/ Miss State problem, to many BCS schools in a poor state. USC doesn't win in football and never will, why get your hopes up to be let down for another sport?

hogfan064

Quote from: regi on March 31, 2009, 11:55:57 am
Again, that is what the 2.2 million is for. Anderson will be paid to change the culture. Don't compare USC with UGA. Athens (10 times the college atmosphere of Columbia) is only 60 miles from a very diverse city of 6 million people. With those kind of numbers and a larger, wealthier Alumni base than USC, the right guy can make it work here. USC/ Clemson have an OleMiss/ Miss State problem, to many BCS schools in a poor state. USC doesn't win in football and never will, why get your hopes up to be let down for another sport?

USC puts more money into its basketball program than UGA.  UGA does have more and wealthy alumni, but there money goes to football.  South Carolina has a very good basketball fan base and many of the old timers that now have money put it towards basketball due to the Frank McGuire days. 

You're right, USC will never be a power in football.  Clemson has been a power though and if Terry Don Phillips would make the right decisions they could be again.

Pig in the Pokey

LATERAL MOVE!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Elite 8> 2-15 IMO
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pork Twain

March 31, 2009, 12:21:07 pm #49 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:27:52 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: Pig in the Poke on March 31, 2009, 12:15:53 pm
LATERAL MOVE!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Elite 8> 2-15 IMO
His recruiting would get him ran out of town here.  Here are his top five scorers.  All someone else's players, but all Sr's and Jr's.  Must be nice to have such a deep, seasoned team in your third year.

DeMarre Carroll F  6-8  225  Senior
Leo Lyons F  6-9  244  Senior
Matt Lawrence G  6-7  203  Senior
J.T. Tiller G  6-3  200  Junior
Zaire Taylor G  6-4  189  Junior