Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Offers John Calipari Six-Years, $40 Million

Started by dhornjr1, March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Memphis needs to learn from our situation.  Although a lot of the particulars are not the same they need to go out and get a name.  Don't follow a legend with a dud.

dhornjr1

I can't believe they would pay that much for someone who's never won a national title.

That's just too damn much.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:14:30 pm
I can't believe they would pay that much for someone who's never won a national title.

That's just too damn much.

Very true, but I bet Cal gets his NC at Kentucky and probably a few more than just 1.

dhornjr1

It looks like it's done.

Memphis AD R.C. Johnson just released a statement saying he has "officially" granted Kentucky permission to talk to Calipari.

dhornjr1

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 30, 2009, 12:16:02 pm
Very true, but I bet Cal gets his NC at Kentucky and probably a few more than just 1.

He will have all the advantages at Kentucky. I've been in the locker rooms at Rupp Arena and to Wildcat Lodge where the players stay.

It's very impressive.

want2be

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:16:04 pm
It looks like it's done.

Memphis AD R.C. Johnson just released a statement saying he has "officially" granted Kentucky permission to talk to Calipari.

I just heard that Kentucky is going to offer him 7 mil per year...WOW!

dhornjr1

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 12:19:48 pm

I just heard that Kentucky is going to offer him 7 mil per year...WOW!

Yeah, they're saying six years and $40 million on the radio here.

Unbelieveable.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:22:12 pm
Yeah, they're saying six years and $40 million on the radio here.

Unbelieveable.

Would that mak Cal the highest paid coach in all of sports?

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Richard_white on March 30, 2009, 10:37:49 am
Mike Davis

Mike Davis--as in the former Indiana coach? That would be great, but even Tiger High is not that stupid.

dhornjr1

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 30, 2009, 12:23:20 pm
Would that mak Cal the highest paid coach in all of sports?

I think Phil Jackson makes upwards of $12 million per with the Lakers.

elksnort

Paying a coach this much is retarded! Cal has not even won anything big. Kentucky, New York Yankees, and Notre Dame are all way to full of themselves!

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:24:47 pm
I think Phil Jackson makes upwards of $12 million per with the Lakers.

Thanks.  Jackson has definately earned that amount of money, in no way has Cal earned it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 12:11:08 pm
Where is HoginMemphis?

If Cal does leave for KY, and after their loss, whats the next step after eating crow?

Also WilsonHog, what is Bama paying Grant? I couldn't find it on ESPN..

Grant is getting $2 million per year, I believe.

WilsonHog

heathtits

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2009, 12:31:51 pm
Grant is getting $2 million per year, I believe.

Thanks, gotta respect them for not low balling and getting humiliating like a certain program I know.

I respect KY in the same way. Gotta lock him up so he can get on the job.

dhornjr1

The Memphis fans on the radio here and in their comments on the Commercial-Appeal website are already turning on Calipari.

And Geoff Calkins just said on the radio, "Who knows? When he left UMass, the boosters told about what happened while he was there. When John is gone will we hear from Memphis boosters about what he did to win here?"

ArkansasI

REEEEEEE DIK EEWWWW LAUS!!!!!!!!

During this economy, this stuff is plain offensive.

Just curious - What does a competitive athletic program - basketball or football - bring to a University?  Do these coaches pay for themselves?

What does another NC give Kentucky?  One might argue that it didn't give us much...

The Boar War

Memphis should go after Gillespie.  I think that would be a good fit.

ALLVOL

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 11:30:54 am
Geoff Calkins just said on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis that his sources tell him if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, Mike Anderson would be very interested in the Memphis job.
Apparently, Anderson's wife is from Memphis and Missouri couldn't match the money that Memphis would throw his way.
That would not be good for anyone...

Except Memphis...

Mike A to Memphis would be a nightmare for everyone.

Oliver

Kentucky is a basketball program that is serious about getting their place back in college basketball.

Congrats to them.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 12:39:33 pm
That would not be good for anyone...

Except Memphis...

Mike A to Memphis would be a nightmare for everyone.

I agree. As a Hog fan, I wouldn't want to see Mike Anderson in Memphis.

But I would be glad for Mike.

heathtits

Quote from: The Boar War on March 30, 2009, 12:39:16 pm
Memphis should go after Gillespie.  I think that would be a good fit.

Yeah I think Beale St. and Billy G would get along just fine.

If Mike Anderson goes to Memphis I will be absolutely heartbroken.

The Boar War

March 30, 2009, 12:46:52 pm #73 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:49:30 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 11:30:54 am
Geoff Calkins just said on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis that his sources tell him if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, Mike Anderson would be very interested in the Memphis job.

Apparently, Anderson's wife is from Memphis and Missouri couldn't match the money that Memphis would throw his way.

This could actually hurt Memphis.  Memphians who make it out rarely go back.  Disclaimer:  I actually like visiting Memphis but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to live there.

Oliver

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 12:43:56 pm
If Mike Anderson goes to Memphis I will be absolutely heartbroken.

If Mike goes to Memphis, I will officially need high blood pressure medicine.

want2be

Looks like Cal with have enough money to help a few coaches on the AAU circuit.......I hope Kentucky did a thorough background search.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:07:50 pm
Gary Parrish just reported on the radio here in Memphis that Kentucky has offered Calipari a six year, $40 million deal.

40/6 =      6.66

ALLVOL

I dont get why people think just because Cal is going to KY that would open up memphis recruiting for others... I dont think he will wuit recruiting there if he wants a kid. I think this changes nothing as far a recruiting goes.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 12:41:49 pm
Kentucky is a basketball program that is serious about getting their place back in college basketball.

Congrats to them.
I agree and its time for Arkansas to do the same.
When the Hogs and KY are good then all seems right in the Basketball world. It is just odd not having both in the NCAA.

heathtits

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 12:48:40 pm
I dont get why people think just because Cal is going to KY that would open up memphis recruiting for others... I dont think he will wuit recruiting there if he wants a kid. I think this changes nothing as far a recruiting goes.

Key word is "might". This is what hog fan hold onto nowadays.

ALLVOL

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 12:51:34 pm
Key word is "might". This is what hog fan hold onto nowadays.

And that is a shame! Long should get off his ass and hire Mike Anderson NOW. I dont want to piss ya'll off and normally dont get involved in who the Hogs should and should not have as a coach. But Stevie Wonder can see what needs to happen and happen now. If Mike Anderson goes to Memphis it will haunt the Hogs for years to come.

want2be

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 12:59:23 pm
And that is a shame! Long should get off his ass and hire Mike Anderson NOW. I dont want to piss ya'll off and normally dont get involved in who the Hogs should and should not have as a coach. But Stevie Wonder can see what needs to happen and happen now. If Mike Anderson goes to Memphis it will haunt the Hogs for years to come.

Long has spoken.............Now he has to keep his fingers crossed that all the  "what if's" fall into place and that fans are patient enough to fill up a 18,000 seat arena next year.

ALLVOL

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 01:03:28 pm

Long has spoken.............Now he has to keep his fingers crossed that all the  "what if's" fall into place and that fans are patient enough to fill up a 18,000 seat arena next year.
I know but that is my opinion. I think it is a shame. The Hogs are basketball Royalty and should not have to settle.

donewithdale

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 12:59:23 pm

He is already haunting us.  I don't see what would be any different about Memphis except Cal has left some good athletes for his style of play which he would probably win with for a few seasons. 

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 01:10:42 pm
I know but that is my opinion. I think it is a shame. The Hogs are basketball Royalty and should not have to settle.

Nice job stirring that pot...

ALLVOL

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 30, 2009, 01:13:36 pm
Nice job stirring that pot...
Not stirring the pot. That is just my opinion. It made me sick how terrible the SEC was this year.

heathtits

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 01:03:28 pm

They weren't patient enough even to do it this year. I don't know what is telling Long they will next year.

Maybe we can have a NC ceremony at every half time SEC game to boost attendance.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

Oliver

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 01:16:28 pm
They weren't patient enough even to do it this year. I don't know what is telling Long they will next year.

Maybe we can have a NC ceremony at every half time SEC game to boost attendance.

Maybe we need some parting gift incentives for the fans.  i.e. The Lakers give their fans free Jack In The Box tacos every game they hold their opponent to under 100 points. 

Maybe we could give free taco bell bean burritos to the fans when we hold our opponents to under 40 percent on their 3 point attempts.

grayhawg

At nearly 7 million a year he'd better win quick, and win big.

dhornjr1

730 Fox Sports in Memphis is reporting that Calipari is making the rounds of FedEx, Morgan Keegans and other big donors and thanking them for all they did for him while he was here.

And the Memphis fans are apoplectic. It didn't take them long to turn on him.

PorkRyan

Congrats to Kentucky.  I hate the guy, but I would take him as my coach any day of the week.

Meanwhile, Anderson is reportedly being offered 2.5 million to take the Memphis job.

old hog

Oliver

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 30, 2009, 01:30:32 pm
Congrats to Kentucky.  I hate the guy, but I would take him as my coach any day of the week.

Meanwhile, Anderson is reportedly being offered 2.5 million to take the Memphis job.

Ah.  Memphis is about to one up our basketball program again?

heathtits

chortle

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:20:31 pm
Maybe we need some parting gift incentives for the fans.  i.e. The Lakers give their fans free Jack In The Box tacos every game they hold their opponent to under 100 points. 

Maybe we could give free taco bell bean burritos to the fans when we hold our opponents to under 40 percent on their 3 point attempts.

Wouldn't be giving out many burritos. Maybe we should make it realistic and say holding them under 60%.

Hogtropolis™

Would X. Henry not be released from he LOI and be free to go where he pleases if Cal left?

beachhawg

donewithdale

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 30, 2009, 01:30:32 pm

Memphis will overpay if so but good for Mike.