Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Offers John Calipari Six-Years, $40 Million

Started by dhornjr1, March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass Knob

It is being reported in Memphis that Memphis has matched the offer set forth by Kentucky.

chortle

Quote from: Brass Knob on March 30, 2009, 05:07:46 pm
It is being reported in Memphis that Memphis has matched the offer set forth by Kentucky.

Recession. What recession?!?!?!?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Temprees on March 30, 2009, 04:54:21 pm
Grant' team had defeated a higher ranked Duke team in the NCAA tournament, and had another appearance this season, in which he team, lost, but performed very well. 

With 90% of the players on that team being recruited by Capel.  It would be like you saying that John Pelphrey is a proven coach because he beat Indiana in the NCAAT last year, even though 90% of the players on that team were recruited (and coached for 3 years) by Stan Heath.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Balling on March 30, 2009, 04:09:13 pm
I'm staying out of the whole "Pelphrey as coach" argument, but I think that a Jeff Long-led coaching search would turn out to be fruitful.  Just look at how we were all panicking after Grobe, Tubby, and Bowden turned tail on us, and Long was able to woo Petrino away from the Falcons (albeit it's not like he had to twist CBP's arm, seeing as how the Falcons were a bastion of thuggishness and disrespected him at every turn).

Laughing at the rewriting of history...

Brass Knob

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 05:14:56 pm
Laughing at the rewriting of history...

haha they say history is always written by the winners...

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Calipari isn't going to kentucky. I guarantee it. I'm willing to stake my reputation on it.

rzrbackrob

I'm not completely confident in Long hitting a homerun if Pel does not work out. Like a lot of people, I will hope he can.
Good is the enemy of great

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 30, 2009, 05:39:21 pm
Calipari isn't going to Kentucky. I guarantee it. I'm willing to stake my reputation on it.

But are you willing to stake the right brain/left brain theory on it?
Good is the enemy of great

Brass Knob

The figure that is coming out for the Kentucky offer is 8 years $35 million dollars!

Overtheroadtruckdriver

He will not be at kentucky next year. This thread might as well go to the trash.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 03:25:49 pm
Okay, let's assume we did offer Calipari 4 million and he declined us.  Great.  At least we tried.  But we end up hiring a search committee to sign a Sun Belt coach for 750K per year.  This means one of two things...

1.  We tried offering the job to a laundry list of coaches (longer than the one I provided earlier in this thread), offering them let's say 2 million a year to coach here, and they all turned us down until we ended up in the Sun Belt.

2.  We had two incompetents running our coaching search to the point where they didn't really have a laundry list of good candidates.  So they turn the search over to a search committee so they wouldn't have to worry about it, and we end up with someone that the SEARCH COMMITTEE THINKS is a good fit for us.  Broyles and White okay it just to get it over with.

Now, I know which option you will choose to fit your "no one in their right mind" would want to come here theory, but I can tell you which one of these is a thousand times more plausible.

I hope we didn't offer anyone $4 million to come here, and I am pretty sure we didn't nor has any other school. The money is probably available at most of the bigger schools if someone is dumb enough to dish it out.

Many of you will disagree, but it just doesn't sound right to go this far above the previous ceiling in place for college basketball coaching salaries. In a way they are also buying players, because my guess is many of his top recruits will follow suit.

Nothing would be sweeter than for this to blowup in KY's face. I am sure they will be very good the next couple of years with all the big name recruits. But, it is almost like they are desperate and resorting to Yankee like tactics in an attempt to buy Championships.

3kgthog

I ask you, why leave for UK's money when at Memphis he's got A) the easiest conference of any power team B) FedEx with an open wallet and C) not nearly the insane, shoot your son over a loss, fanbase like UK.

Memphis just needs to give Cal the raise he's trying for by playing with Kentucky. That setup is too sweet to give up simply for more money.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

sirhog

That is an insane amount of money for any NCAA coach. I wonder what kind of trickle down effect it will have on the rest of the basketball programs across the country? Will other schools start paying that much money? Will ticket prices increase as a result? It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.

jst01

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2009, 06:19:20 pm
I ask you, why leave for UK's money when at Memphis he's got A) the easiest conference of any power team B) FedEx with an open wallet and C) not nearly the insane, shoot your son over a loss, fanbase like UK.

Memphis just needs to give Cal the raise he's trying for by playing with Kentucky. That setup is too sweet to give up simply for more money.

1. UK is a better job, period.
2. UK will spend more on Basketball, resources are much greater at UK.
3. UK will recruit itself more than Memphis. Cal has made Memphis what it is today. UK has made UK what it is, not one single person.
4. Cal may be tired of getting REAL close to winning it all and wants to actually win it all at UK. Like you said, Memphis plays weak teams all year and cant beat the really good teams when it counts. If Cal builds teams like that at UK, they will be able to play up to the competition when it matters.

just my opinion on those.

ironside

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 30, 2009, 10:23:21 am
I think there is a good chance he is just trying to set up one hell of a bidding war.  Cal is too sleezy to be this up front with anything.

That won't happen. Memphis will not get into a bidding war and I think Cal knows that. Besides the money, I really think he wants to be challenged by coaching UK and coaching in the SEC.

ironside

Quote from: Temprees on March 30, 2009, 04:58:44 pm
The reason that you never heard of Grant as a serious candidate for the Arkansas job was because of JFB.  Broyles was not going to hire a black coach.

Did Richardson decide to turn black sometime after '85   ???

hoglady

It's hard to win it all. Took Roy Williams and Dean Smith a long time to win it all. You've got to have the talent, but you've got to have some luck, too.
Calipari will win a NC whether he's at Memphis or UK.
He has on paper the best recruiting class of all time coming into Memphis, how much better can you do than that?
He's probably gone to Kentucky, hate to see it and I feel sorry for the city of Memphis and their fans. Calipari and Memphis always seemed like a pretty good match - don't know about Kentucky.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgAdvocate

Cal has an NBA arena, and an easier location to recruit to, in Memphis.

Cal has much less pressure and equally as much, if not more, potential to win it all in Memphis.

I'd stay in Memphis, if I were him. But I'm not.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 30, 2009, 06:09:27 pm
He will not be at kentucky next year. This thread might as well go to the trash.

Over the road trucker might be right....Cal does live in the city of Fed Ex and we know how deep there pockets go...But this kind of money is getting crazy...

WPSinOhio

The main booster at UofM as already said she will personally match Kentucky's offer.. If Calipari goes, it will not be for the money..

Also if Calipari goes, they are willing to offer Anderson 2.5 million per year..

They match Kentucky, he stays, because he also gets his 5 million bonus...

CK

minman

I think he might go because Cal has an ego.  C-USA will never be as good as the SEC.  He knows Memphis won't ever be talked about until the end of February of each year because no one thinks anything of the C-USA, and rightfully so.  Also, you never really get to see your guys progress through the season and become all that they can be because they play a bunch of high school teams for 3/4 of the year.  What you see in March with Memphis is what you see in November.  As long as they are in the C-USA it will always be that way.  He just might go to Kentucky because of that... and oh yeah, the money don't hurt. 

minman

Quote from: WPSinOhio on March 30, 2009, 08:12:18 pm
  The main booster at UofM as already said she will personally match Kentucky's offer.. If Calipari goes, it will not be for the money..

Also if Calipari goes, they are willing to offer Anderson 2.5 million per year..

They match Kentucky, he stays, because he also gets his 5 million bonus...

CK
Can you imagine Anderson at Memphis?  That would be fun to watch!

eathill5

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 03:25:25 pm
We don't have ENOUGH players right now.  It will get better next year and better the year after, etc.

agreed.  However the problems we have now are because of recruiting.  Not really because of Pel but what he inherited.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Hoggish1

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 01:48:20 pm
FWIW, Dan Patrick is talking to the local radio people here right now and he says it's a mistake for Calipari to take the Kentucky job.

He said he lived near Lexington for several years and he believes that Travis Ford or John Pelphrey would have been better hires because they understand what it means to be a Kentucky Wildcat.

Did Rick Petino understand what it meant to be a Wildcat before he took the job?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 30, 2009, 09:52:49 pm
Did Rick Petino understand what it meant to be a Wildcat before he took the job?

No, but he did very well in the role. Rupp has been dead for quite a while.

Pitino is the standard for how UK fans measure their recent and future coaches.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

dhornjr1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 30, 2009, 09:59:27 pm
No, but he did very well in the role. Rupp has been dead for quite a while.

Pitino is the standard for how UK fans measure their recent and future coaches.

Exactly. And they see Calipari as being "Rick Petino-Lite".

Oliver

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 31, 2009, 07:39:18 am
Exactly. And they see Calipari as being "Rick Petino-Lite".

Just as many Arkansas fans see Anderson as "Nolan Richardson-Lite".

dhornjr1

dhornjr1

Calipari isn't going to kentucky. I guarantee it. I'm willing to stake my reputation on it.

Are you?

I guess it's not a big deal to stake a sh*tty reputation is it?

BallHog1

I thought this was a done deal on Sunday. Now two days later and it hasn't happened. That coupled with OTR's staking his rep on it has me thinking maybe it really isn't going to happen.
Heck, OTR is all over the courtry hearing things....I suspect he's all over the road too.

Brass Knob

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 31, 2009, 01:44:43 pm
I thought this was a done deal on Sunday. Now two days later and it hasn't happened. That coupled with OTR's staking his rep on it has me thinking maybe it really isn't going to happen.
Heck, OTR is all over the courtry hearing things....I suspect he's all over the road too.

Certainly the longer this draws out the better it appears to be for Memphis...