Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Offers John Calipari Six-Years, $40 Million

Started by dhornjr1, March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: chortle on March 30, 2009, 01:32:14 pm
Wouldn't be giving out many burritos. Maybe we should make it realistic and say holding them under 60%.

Dadgummit! You beat me to it.

Wow, Cal is gonna cash in with this one, if it's true.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 01:39:24 pm
Memphis will overpay if so but good for Mike.

If Anthony Grant is pulling down $2 million per year, then you have to give Mike Anderson $2.5 million per year.  It's actually a hell of a deal for Mike Anderson considering Grant is getting 2 million and Calipari is getting 6.5 million.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:41:15 pm
If Anthony Grant is pulling down $2 million per year, then you have to give Mike Anderson $2.5 million per year.  It's actually a hell of a deal for Mike Anderson considering Grant is getting 2 million and Calipari is getting 6.5 million.

This
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 30, 2009, 01:37:06 pm
Would X. Henry not be released from he LOI and be free to go where he pleases if Cal left?

They wouldn't have to release him, don't know if they would or not.  I know Kansas St. would not release their guys when Huggins left...

heathtits

This also shows how incredibly low balled we played the whole hiring job.

How is Grant any more proven than Pel? Yet he gets 2 million to Pel's measly 750k?

dhornjr1

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 30, 2009, 01:43:13 pm
They wouldn't have to release him, don't know if they would or not.  I know Kansas St. would not release their guys when Huggins left...

Yeah, it's up to the athletic department as to whether they release him from the LOI.

want2be

Good for Cal and Kentucky
Good for Mike A. and Memphis
Good for Bama and Grant

And poor little Ark gets to sit and wait......Didn't we say this about football before we got Petrino?

weresoclose

If Memphis is really offering Mike 2.5, there goes our last chance to get him.  Sad.

donewithdale

March 30, 2009, 01:47:21 pm #108 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:49:05 pm by donewithdale

You don't have to be as stupid as Bama.

Cal and UK is different.  At 99% of the programs, Cal's UK salary would be stupid.  But with Rupp's 23,000+ seats that are going to filled and tickets at a premium, donations will skyrocket too not to mention the royalties from the Wildcat logo once they start winning. UK will get their money back out of this deal. 

No way a coach who left behind a losing team after his first stop and is going to leave a less talented team behind at this stop if he leaves is worth $2.5 million.  The only way he is if all they want is to win for 2-3 years with the current roster and recruits which should be easy at Memphis for a number of coaches.

weresoclose

March 30, 2009, 01:48:04 pm #109 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:50:29 pm by weresoclose
Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 01:45:53 pm

Good for Cal and Kentucky
Good for Mike A. and Memphis
Good for Bama and Grant

And poor little Ark gets to sit and wait......Didn't we say this about football before we got Petrino?

Who are you waiting on?  Larry Brown?

Mike is not my first or second choice, but I would love to get a little identity back.  Then move on from there.

dhornjr1

FWIW, Dan Patrick is talking to the local radio people here right now and he says it's a mistake for Calipari to take the Kentucky job.

He said he lived near Lexington for several years and he believes that Travis Ford or John Pelphrey would have been better hires because they understand what it means to be a Kentucky Wildcat.

Pork Twain

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 12:33:53 pm
Thanks, gotta respect them for not low balling and getting humiliating like a certain program I know.

I respect KY in the same way. Gotta lock him up so he can get on the job.
Heaven forbid you stay on topic and not turn every thread into a poor ole Arkansas is stuck with Pel thread.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Oliver

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 01:45:09 pm
This also shows how incredibly low balled we played the whole hiring job.

How is Grant any more proven than Pel? Yet he gets 2 million to Pel's measly 750k?

And regardless of your opinion of Pelphrey, that 750k offer shows how little White and Broyles cared about this program returning to greatness.

donewithdale

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 01:48:20 pm
FWIW, Dan Patrick is talking to the local radio people here right now and he says it's a mistake for Calipari to take the Kentucky job.

He said he lived near Lexington for several years and he believes that Travis Ford or John Pelphrey would have been better hires because they understand what it means to be a Kentucky Wildcat.

The job is too big for either of them right now. 

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:49:42 pm
And regardless of your opinion of Pelphrey, that 750k offer shows how little White and Broyles cared about this program returning to greatness.

Had you rather they had paid $2 million for Pelphrey?

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 01:47:21 pm
You don't have to be as stupid as Bama.

Cal and UK is different.  At 99% of the programs, Cal's UK salary would be stupid.  But with Rupp's 23,000+ seats that are going to filled and tickets at a premium, donations will skyrocket too not to mention the royalties from the Wildcat logo once they start winning. UK will get their money back out of this deal. 

No way a coach who left behind a losing team after his first stop and is going to leave a less talented team behind at this stop if he leaves is worth $2.5 million.  The only way he is if all they want is to win for 2-3 years with the current roster and recruits which should be easy at Memphis for a number of coaches.

Nobody is worth what they are getting paid.  You have to go by what the market bears.  Please show me a school that would successfully hire Mike Anderson at anything below $2 million per year when he and everybody else knows that somebody like Anthony Grant just got a $2 million dollar per year contract. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 30, 2009, 01:48:55 pm
Long needs to get off his duff and get his man here...screw the waiting a year crap. Pel is dead weight on a sinking ship
It is not going to happen this year so quit crying about it.  If Pel fails next year he should be gone.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 01:52:03 pm
Had you rather they had paid $2 million for Pelphrey?

No, I would have rather paid $2 million for a better coach.  I doubt they ever even offered BCG $2 million...Kentucky offer or not.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 30, 2009, 01:48:55 pm
Long needs to get off his duff and get his man here...screw the waiting a year crap. Pel is dead weight on a sinking ship

and where do you propose we come with the 6.6 million dollars per year from?

Heck I dont know if we could afford the so called 2.5 million for Anderson that Memphis is considering offering him.    that number in itself is very close to what Arkansas is paying Petrino now

You can complain about our coaching situation all you want, but if we dont have the money to buy Pelprey out, which isnt that much.  Where on earth would we get the money to pay for someone really good to come in here
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:55:22 pm
No, I would have rather paid $2 million for a better coach.  I doubt they ever even offered BCG $2 million...Kentucky offer or not.

Is Grant more proven than Pelphrey was when we hired him?  Bama way overpaid.  I think he'll be a great coach eventually.  But, right now, he's not worth $2 million...

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:55:22 pm
You wish we would have signed BCG?  Who would you have hired?

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 01:59:07 pm
Is Grant more proven than Pelphrey was when we hired him?  Bama way overpaid.  I think he'll be a great coach eventually.  But, right now, he's not worth $2 million...

I agree.  I never argued that he was.  My point was that Bama was WILLING to spend $2 million on a coach per year...something Broyles and White were too cheap to do.  As for Bama's selection on whom to spend that money on...taking a big risk.

ALLVOL

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 01:48:20 pm

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Cal will win and win big at KY and Patrick will kiss his ass to get him on the show. If KY had hired Ford or Pel it would have been called a bad hire and KY settling.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:53:14 pm
Nobody is worth what they are getting paid.  You have to go by what the market bears.  Please show me a school that would successfully hire Mike Anderson at anything below $2 million per year when he and everybody else knows that somebody like Anthony Grant just got a $2 million dollar per year contract. 

That doesn't mean that Memphis or anyone else has to follow Bama's lead.  What if Mike sees a better job for $1.5 million that he wants?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 02:02:45 pm
I agree.  I never argued that he was.  My point was that Bama was WILLING to spend $2 million on a coach per year...something Broyles and White were too cheap to do.  As for Bama's selection on whom to spend that money on...taking a big risk.

Maybe it's because we don't have the money and can't bring in the revenue to pay a basketball coach that much.  When you think about what we're paying Petrino and staff, it might be a little tough for us to pay $2 million+ for a basketball coach as well.

Oliver

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2009, 02:00:56 pm
You wish we would have signed BCG?  Who would you have hired?

At the time, I absolutely wish we would have signed BCG.  I still, knowing what I do today, wish we would have hired BCG instead of Pelphrey.  There is no way of knowing, but I think his tenure here would have been much different than it was at Kentucky.  JMO.

I don't know who showed interest in us, so I can't tell you who I would have hired.  I could give you a long list of names that would have come in front of John Pelphrey's.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 30, 2009, 02:04:44 pm
That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Cal will win and win big at KY and Patrick will kiss his ass to get him on the show. If KY had hired Ford or Pel it would have been called a bad hire and KY settling.

I couldn't believe he was saying it, either.

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 02:05:51 pm
Maybe it's because we don't have the money and can't bring in the revenue to pay a basketball coach that much.  When you think about what we're paying Petrino and staff, it might be a little tough for us to pay $2 million+ for a basketball coach as well.

Our last hire happened BEFORE we hired Petrino.  And it happened before the same morons that were in charge of our basketball coaching search decided to give $3 million dollars to our no good football coach to go to an in-division rival.

ALLVOL

Arkansas is not a poor school. Besides the ESPN deal is about to bring all SEC school some serious coin. Arkansas can pay the question is will they.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 02:05:49 pm
That doesn't mean that Memphis or anyone else has to follow Bama's lead.  What if Mike sees a better job for $1.5 million that he wants?

I don't see Mike settling for $1.5 million...not even here if we had an opening...after seeing what these other coaches are making.

dhornjr1

Calipari deal with Kentucky 'close, but it's not quite done'

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11569528

Parrish just said on the radio the next Memphis hire will be either Mike Anderson or Tim Floyd.

heathtits

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2009, 01:48:44 pm
Heaven forbid you stay on topic and not turn every thread into a poor ole Arkansas is stuck with Pel thread.

So if I quit denying the pathetic truth, maybe it will go away?

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 01:49:42 pm

I could be wrong but were we not throwing around 2 mil before we hired the search committee...

ICEman

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 11:30:54 am
Geoff Calkins just said on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis that his sources tell him if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, Mike Anderson would be very interested in the Memphis job.

Apparently, Anderson's wife is from Memphis and Missouri couldn't match the money that Memphis would throw his way.
Hasn't Memphis always fashioned itself as a semi-outlaw program.  Would MA's persona be the best fit for the unscrupulous Tigers?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

donewithdale

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 02:12:12 pm

Parrish just said on the radio the next Memphis hire will be either Mike Anderson or Tim Floyd.

Floyd?  From L.A. to Memphis?  From Pac 10 to mid major?  I guess he may think its easier to win there vs having to play UCLA and Arizona plus he is from Mississippi.

heathtits

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 02:05:49 pm

You usually have very reasonable posts but whats with you becoming the king of "what ifs"? At least answer the question with traditional trends and logic. 1.5 would basically be a pay cut compared to what Mizzou is offering him. Why the hell would he do that? Memphis is not UNC or Kansas and is NOT on the level where it runs itself.

What if Mike loved the Hogs so much he'd come here for $500,000. I heard maybe he might.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ICEman on March 30, 2009, 02:14:32 pm
Hasn't Memphis always fashioned itself as a semi-outlaw program.  Would MA's persona be the best fit for the unscrupulous Tigers?

That's a good question.

I just wonder if he would leave Missouri for Memphis. I wouldn't. But the insiders on the radio down here are saying that if the money is right he will come here.

dhornjr1

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 02:15:39 pm
Floyd?  From L.A. to Memphis?  From Pac 10 to mid major?  I guess he may think its easier to win there vs having to play UCLA and Arizona plus he is from Mississippi.

Yeah, they're saying the main reason Floyd is interested is because it's close to home for him.

donewithdale

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 02:15:44 pm
You usually have very reasonable posts but whats with you becoming the king of "what ifs"? At least answer the question with traditional trends and logic. 1.5 would basically be a pay cut compared to what Mizzou is offering him. Why the hell would he do that? Memphis is not UNC or Kansas and is NOT on the level where it runs itself.

What if Mike loved the Hogs so much he'd come here for $500,000. I heard maybe he might.

First, I thought Mizzou was offering $1.3 million a year so 1.5 would be a raise.  If I got the 1.3 wrong, then my next statement will go for this as well.

There is no way in hell I give Mike Anderson $2.5 million a year like rumored earlier in this thread or $2 million for that matter and that has nothing to do with Bama. 

want2be

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 02:12:12 pm

I bet Kentucky won't let him get it without sigining a contract like BG go by with.

heathtits

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 02:20:29 pm
First, I thought Mizzou was offering $1.3 million a year so 1.5 would be a raise.  If I got the 1.3 wrong, then my next statement will go for this as well.

There is no way in hell I give Mike Anderson $2.5 million a year like rumored earlier in this thread or $2 million for that matter and that has nothing to do with Bama. 

Fair enough, so you don't consider Mike a 2nd tier nearly Elite Coach?

1st tier elite's, (guys who make 2-2.5+ so i think, could be wrong) are Izzo, Donovan, Calhoun, Williams, Self, Cal, Pitino, Tubby.

2nd tier (1-1.5+) (Dixon, UCLA coach, JWright, Pearl, and who else) Does Mike not logically fall above this level or at least right in between?

I was thinking 1.7 was his new offer at Mizzou. This is all lazy discussion though, so don't rip my head off.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 02:06:14 pm
At the time, I absolutely wish we would have signed BCG.  I still, knowing what I do today, wish we would have hired BCG instead of Pelphrey.  There is no way of knowing, but I think his tenure here would have been much different than it was at Kentucky.  JMO.

I don't know who showed interest in us, so I can't tell you who I would have hired.  I could give you a long list of names that would have come in front of John Pelphrey's.
He had more talent at KY than we have here.  Why would he have better results.  I think we would be where we are right now.

Name a few that you think we had a realistic shot at.

donewithdale

Quote from: heathtits on March 30, 2009, 02:24:49 pm
Fair enough, so you don't consider Mike a 2nd tier nearly Elite Coach?

1st tier elite's, (guys who make 2-2.5+ so i think, could be wrong) are Izzo, Donovan, Calhoun, Williams, Self, Cal, Pitino, Tubby.

2nd tier (1-1.5+) (Dixon, UCLA coach, JWright, Pearl, and who else) Does Mike not logically fall above this level or at least right in between?

I was thinking 1.7 was his new offer at Mizzou. This is all lazy discussion though, so don't rip my head off.

If you are talking pay, MA may be about to join that second group. 

Ben Howland rebuilt Pitt and left it to Dixon and has been to 3 Final 4's at UCLA.  Jay Wright and Dixon are also on another level from Mike.  Pearl, I hate to insult Mike like this placing him with Pearl, is a hollow suit who is a great salesman.  So Mike and Pearl shouldn't be in this group with the others you mentioned.  The pay scales are skewed if so.

Oliver

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2009, 02:28:59 pm
He had more talent at KY than we have here.  Why would he have better results.  I think we would be where we are right now.

Name a few that you think we had a realistic shot at.

Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Bob McKillop, Mike Anderson, and Anthony Grant are just a few I would have offered before Pelphrey. 

Pork Twain

Mike has yet to show he can recruit any players and that would be the only thing I have against hiring him.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 02:32:46 pm
Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Bob McKillop, Mike Anderson, and Anthony Grant are just a few I would have offered before Pelphrey. 
Those are all good coaches but not really on a different level than Pel.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2009, 02:32:46 pm
In a heart beat.

Beaverfever

heathtits

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 02:30:34 pm
If you are talking pay, MA may be about to join that second group. 

Ben Howland rebuilt Pitt and left it to Dixon and has been to 3 Final 4's at UCLA.  Jay Wright and Dixon are also on another level from Mike.  Pearl, I hate to insult Mike like this placing him with Pearl, is a hollow suit who is a great salesman.  So Mike and Pearl shouldn't be in this group with the others you mentioned.  The pay scales are skewed if so.

Point taken and good info, and I by no means consider Pearl deserving but isn't he at least getting 1.5?

And after putting it like that, I guess I'd agree Mike isn't quite on that level, but as you know, the whole ball game changes when you're trying to pull a coach from another school.

Pork Twain

March 30, 2009, 02:38:50 pm #149 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:43:24 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: Beaverfever on March 30, 2009, 02:36:48 pm
lol
I said name coaches we had a shot with.  I am ignoring the ones we do not have a shot with and discussing those we do.

1. What have they done; winning, recruiting and player conduct

2. Would they come here and were they interested?