Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Offers John Calipari Six-Years, $40 Million

Started by dhornjr1, March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:53:49 pm by dhornjr1
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/

"...players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job."

Also Gary Parrish believes if he goes to Kentucky, he will take DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall with him since they haven't signed yet. Put them with Meeks and Patterson and they think they will challenge for a national title next year.

donewithdale

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 10:06:54 am
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/

"...players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job."

Also Gary Parrish believes if he goes to Kentucky, he will take DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall with him since they haven't signed yet. Put them with Meeks and Patterson and they think they will challenge for a national title next year.

Good.  This will elevate the status of the SEC. 

Who will FedEx buy for his successor? 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 10:12:09 am

Should most likely be a current Cal assistant. That'd be my guess.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The Hogfather

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 10:12:09 am

I hope he comes to the SEC.  Like you've said, this will make Arkansas (more specifically, Pel) either put up or shut up, regarding the basketball program.

The SEC is attempting to get better across the board and Arkansas will have to keep up.  If Pelphrey can't get it done, we can't afford to hire another up-and-comer.  We'll need to get a big name, proven LONGTERM winner. 

donewithdale

Well I guess first we need to see Fed Ex's counteroffer to UK's for Cal.  Basketball is making a nice amount of revenue for Memphis. 

I would think Cal is thinking that he passed on this opportunity 2 years ago to be head coach at one of the elite programs and that he can't keep passing on it. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 10:19:15 am
Well I guess first we need to see Fed Ex's counteroffer to UK's for Cal.  Basketball is making a nice amount of revenue for Memphis. 

I would think Cal is thinking that he passed on this opportunity 2 years ago to be head coach at one of the elite programs and that he can't keep passing on it. 

Yep.  Doubt he gets the call next time, if he passes this time.

Beaverfever

I think there is a good chance he is just trying to set up one hell of a bidding war.  Cal is too sleezy to be this up front with anything.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 30, 2009, 10:23:21 am
I think there is a good chance he is just trying to set up one hell of a bidding war.  Cal is too sleezy to be this up front with anything.

I do agree that something always smells fishy when Calipari is involved.  This very well could be a front to get more money from Memphis, which he will get if he stays.

want2be

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 30, 2009, 10:23:21 am

Doesn't he give up a 10 million dollar bonus if he leaves early?

I think he will use this to get a raise and stay at Memphis.

The Hogfather

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 10:26:41 am

Doesn't he give up a 10 million dollar bonus if he leaves early?

I think he will use this to get a raise and stay at Memphis.

Memphis fans have been saying he gets $5 million at the end of next year.  But, like I said, if Kentucky pays him $3 million+/year, he can recoup that money in 4 years or less.

mizzouman

Kentucky will pay the annuity that Memphis would pay to Calipari. 

Wild Bill Hog

I didn't think he would go, but now I'm beginning to think he will if he has talked to his players.  That's always a big thing it seems.

dhornjr1

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 10:28:09 am
Memphis fans have been saying he gets $5 million at the end of next year.  But, like I said, if Kentucky pays him $3 million+/year, he can recoup that money in 4 years or less.

Yeah, you know Kentucky will shell down the corn as my dad used to say. Maybe 3-4 million a year on a five year deal or something similar.

donewithdale

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 10:28:09 am

I thought it was an extra $2.5 million if he stays through 2010.  But that could be an old figure since it seems like he gets a raise and new incentives every few months. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 10:32:37 am
I thought it was an extra $2.5 million if he stays through 2010.  But that could be an old figure since it seems like he gets a raise and new incentives every few months. 

I really don't know.  A few Memphis fans have said that it is a $5 million, one-time bonus, if he stays for one more year.

Richard_white

Beaverfever

One thing Kentucky might have on its side is the recession.  Fedex might look bad throwing millions more at Cal during tough economic times.  Kentucky's money is mostly from private rich donors I believe. 

UAfan

Cal is all about the $$ and FedEx can definitely win a bidding war with KY. 

tusksincolorado

Guys, we are talking a huge amount of coin! Cal gets a 5 year contract in the area of 15 to 20 mil from UK. Then UK will buy the Tiger High annuity of 5 mil. And on top of that, UK still may be on the hook for 6 mil to BCG. Damn, that is possibly 26 to 31 mil to be shelled out for 5 years. Saban bearly makes that much in football at Alabama. I just don't think that UK can do it. But I have been wrong before.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

LordStanleysHog

What about MA, I think they'd be wise to make a run at him now, after what he did to Cal's team.

dhornjr1

I just found some of the details of Calipari's contract. Ironically, I found them in an article from Bleacher report.com dated March 11, 2009 and headlined "Why John Calipari Isn't Interested in Coaching in the SEC".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/137405-john-calipari-not-interested-in-coaching-in-the-sec

"After last year's run, Athletic Director R.C. Johnson extended Calipari's contract and gave him a huge raise. The base compensation package was increased to $2.35 million.

Additionally, an annuity that Coach Cal was set to receive should he stay in Memphis until 2010 was doubled, from $2.5 million to $5 million...and was added to his salary over the course of the contract.

This essentially raised his pay to $3.35 million per year, excluding bonuses for graduation rates and team accomplishments. He would receive $400,000, for instance, if he were to guide Memphis to a national title.

Only one college basketball coach—Florida's Billy Donovan, at $3.5 million per annum—takes home more than Calipari."

razrken

donewithdale

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 10:55:35 am
I just found some of the details of Calipari's contract. Ironically, I found them in an article from Bleacher report.com dated March 11, 2009 and headlined "Why John Calipari Isn't Interested in Coaching in the SEC".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/137405-john-calipari-not-interested-in-coaching-in-the-sec

"After last year’s run, Athletic Director R.C. Johnson extended Calipari’s contract and gave him a huge raise. The base compensation package was increased to $2.35 million.

Additionally, an annuity that Coach Cal was set to receive should he stay in Memphis until 2010 was doubled, from $2.5 million to $5 million...and was added to his salary over the course of the contract.

This essentially raised his pay to $3.35 million per year, excluding bonuses for graduation rates and team accomplishments. He would receive $400,000, for instance, if he were to guide Memphis to a national title.

Only one college basketball coach—Florida’s Billy Donovan, at $3.5 million per annum—takes home more than Calipari."

At what point does Calipari realize he is already a multi millionaire and it becomes about his career and achievements and the opportunity to coach at a program like Kentucky? 

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 30, 2009, 11:01:36 am
At what point does Calipari realize he is already a multi millionaire and it becomes about his career and achievements and the opportunity to coach at a program like Kentucky? 

Like WilsonHog said in another thread, if it's not now, it won't ever be.

The Hogfather

Maybe never.

Beaverfever

Exactly.  If a person is making a drastic life change for the worse in order to go from making 3.25 mil to 4 million, they need to examine their life.  If Cal goes to Kentucky, one could only hope money wouldn't be the primary motivator.  I think Cal wants the challenge/legacy.

dhornjr1

He should be thinking about that. Hell, he was paid $15 million by the New Jersey Nets and made half of that after he got fired.

I'm sure he knows that if he can't win it all at Kentucky there will be no excuses. Maybe he's afraid to work without that net.

hoginvolcountry

Cal to KY and Nolan comes out of retirement to Memphis.  He'd work there....

dhornjr1

If anybody wants to listen to CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish on his radio show in Memphis, it's on right now. His co-host is Geoff Calkins of the Commercial-Appeal.

http://730foxsports.com/listen-live.php

WilsonHog

March 30, 2009, 11:16:16 am #29 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:23:09 am by WilsonHog
Props to Kentucky if they pull this off. Talk about an obscene amount of money. The best cuts of filet mignon don't come cheap.

Just win, baby.

(Meanwhile, we have to go to South Alabama and pay a guy $700,000. Just a little disparity there. Then again, look what Bama just paid Anthony Grant.)

Niels Boar

Calipari out of Memphis might open up Memphis recruiting for Arkansas again.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 10:15:13 am
I hope he comes to the SEC.  Like you've said, this will make Arkansas (more specifically, Pel) either put up or shut up, regarding the basketball program.

The SEC is attempting to get better across the board and Arkansas will have to keep up.  If Pelphrey can't get it done, we can't afford to hire another up-and-comer.  We'll need to get a big name, proven LONGTERM winner. 
Knee jerk reactions are not the way to build a program.  Lucky for us it seems like the man that calls the shots and gets paid too, knows that.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 30, 2009, 11:26:22 am
That would be great
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

dhornjr1

Geoff Calkins just said on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis that his sources tell him if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, Mike Anderson would be very interested in the Memphis job.

Apparently, Anderson's wife is from Memphis and Missouri couldn't match the money that Memphis would throw his way.

WilsonHog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 11:30:54 am
Geoff Calkins just said on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis that his sources tell him if Calipari leaves for Kentucky, Mike Anderson would be very interested in the Memphis job.

Apparently, Anderson's wife is from Memphis and Missouri couldn't match the money that Memphis would throw his way.

And the hits just keep on coming.

Good for Mike if this comes to pass.

dhornjr1

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2009, 11:31:53 am

My thoughts exactly.

Pork Twain

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2009, 11:31:53 am

That would be great for Mike and I wish him the best.  He would step into a hotbed.

The Hogfather

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2009, 11:36:55 am
That would be great for Mike and I wish him the best.  He would step into a hotbed.

AND, that would open up Memphis recruiting for us again!  :)

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 11:41:00 am
AND, that would open up Memphis recruiting for us again!  :)

5 Antonio Anderson 6-6/214 Guard SR Lynn, Mass./Lynn Tech/MCI/Laurinburg Prep (N.C.)
2 Robert Dozier 6-9/220 Forward SR Lithonia, Ga./Lithonia/Laurinburg Prep (N.C.)
12 Tyreke Evans 6-6/219 Guard FR Chester, Pa./American Christian School
41 Angel Garcia 6-11/227 Forward FR Toa Baja, Puerto Rico/East Chicago Central (Ind.)
4 Pierre Henderson-Niles 6-8/300 Forward JR Memphis, Tenn./Ridgeway/The Patterson School (N.C.)
14 C.J. Henry 6-4/210 Guard FR Oklahoma City, Okla./Putnam City
1 Willie Kemp 6-2/184 Guard JR Bolivar, Tenn./Bolivar Central
31 Preston Laird 6-2/180 Guard FR Memphis, Tenn./Germantown
20 Doneal Mack 6-5/181 Guard JR Charlotte, N.C./Statesville Christian School
10 Chance McGrady 6-2/183 Guard SR Auburndale, Fla./Dr. Phillips
3 Roburt Sallie 6-5/186 Guard SO Sacramento, Calif.//City College of San Francisco
15 Matt Simpkins 6-9/215 Forward FR Oakland, Calif./Capital Christian/Berkeley/Patterson School (N.C.)
0 Shawn Taggart 6-10/238 Forward JR Richmond, Va./Mt. Zion Christian Academy (N.C.)/Iowa State University
11 Wesley Witherspoon 6-8/200 Forward/Guard FR Atlanta, Ga./Berkmar

Doesnt really look like Memphis is benefiting from Memphis recruits, so what would change?  Memphis recruits Nationwide.

dhornjr1

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 30, 2009, 11:45:59 am

5 Antonio Anderson 6-6/214 Guard SR Lynn, Mass./Lynn Tech/MCI/Laurinburg Prep (N.C.)
2 Robert Dozier 6-9/220 Forward SR Lithonia, Ga./Lithonia/Laurinburg Prep (N.C.)
12 Tyreke Evans 6-6/219 Guard FR Chester, Pa./American Christian School
41 Angel Garcia 6-11/227 Forward FR Toa Baja, Puerto Rico/East Chicago Central (Ind.)
4 Pierre Henderson-Niles 6-8/300 Forward JR Memphis, Tenn./Ridgeway/The Patterson School (N.C.)
14 C.J. Henry 6-4/210 Guard FR Oklahoma City, Okla./Putnam City
1 Willie Kemp 6-2/184 Guard JR Bolivar, Tenn./Bolivar Central
31 Preston Laird 6-2/180 Guard FR Memphis, Tenn./Germantown
20 Doneal Mack 6-5/181 Guard JR Charlotte, N.C./Statesville Christian School
10 Chance McGrady 6-2/183 Guard SR Auburndale, Fla./Dr. Phillips
3 Roburt Sallie 6-5/186 Guard SO Sacramento, Calif.//City College of San Francisco
15 Matt Simpkins 6-9/215 Forward FR Oakland, Calif./Capital Christian/Berkeley/Patterson School (N.C.)
0 Shawn Taggart 6-10/238 Forward JR Richmond, Va./Mt. Zion Christian Academy (N.C.)/Iowa State University
11 Wesley Witherspoon 6-8/200 Forward/Guard FR Atlanta, Ga./Berkmar

Doesnt really look like Memphis is benefiting from Memphis recruits, so what would change?  Memphis recruits Nationwide.

It's true, Calipari doesn't care about Memphis players. Don't forget, Chris Douglas-Roberts was from Detroit, Derrick Rose is from Chicago, and Joey Dorsey is from Baltimore.

Meanwhile, Thaddeus Young went to Georgia Tech, Terrico White went to Ole Miss, Elliot Williams is at Duke, and Leslie McDonald signed an LOI with North Carolina last fall.

The Boar War

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 30, 2009, 11:26:22 am

Actually it would probably do just the opposite.  There are a ton of good Memphis area players who never get a look from Calipari because he recruits nationally.  If a recruiter comes in who recruits locally we could potentially have even less success.

dhornjr1

Gary Parrish just reported on the radio here in Memphis that Kentucky has offered Calipari a six year, $40 million deal.

Hawgon

Holy Crap!  That is nearly $7 million a year just to coach basketball.  Well, if true, he has to take that offer.

The Hogfather

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:07:50 pm
Gary Parrish just reported on the radio here in Memphis that Kentucky has offered Calipari a six year, $40 million deal.

Wow.  How can he turn that down?

heathtits

Where is HoginMemphis?

If Cal does leave for KY, and after their loss, whats the next step after eating crow?

Also WilsonHog, what is Bama paying Grant? I couldn't find it on ESPN..

dhornjr1

They're saying it's all but a done deal with numbers like that being thrown around.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 30, 2009, 12:07:50 pm

Gooood LORD!!!!  I'm all for going after the best guy for good money, but this amount of money is leading College Athletics into the wrong direction.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: The Boar War on March 30, 2009, 12:04:38 pm
Actually it would probably do just the opposite.  There are a ton of good Memphis area players who never get a look from Calipari because he recruits nationally.  If a recruiter comes in who recruits locally we could potentially have even less success.
Agree. If we can't get recruits from Memphis now it will definately be harder when Cal leaves unless by some miracle they get another big name coach there who can recruit nationally.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

For that amount of Money Roy Williams would probably leave UNC that is Ridiculous change.