Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who does Georgia offer now ?

Started by want2be, March 30, 2009, 09:21:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

With Grant going to Bama, who are the most reasonable choices for coaches. I have heard they are going to pay up to 2 million. Capel is on the short list, but I don't think he would leave Oklahoma now. With BG leaving Kentucky would he be a viable choice?

One thing for sure........it appears most programs in the SEC are taking a step up and paying to get better coaches.

The Hogfather

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 09:21:37 am
With Grant going to Bama, who are the most reasonable choices for coaches. I have heard they are going to pay up to 2 million. Capel is on the short list, but I don't think he would leave Oklahoma now. With BG leaving Kentucky would he be a viable choice?

One thing for sure........it appears most programs in the SEC are taking a step up and paying to get better coaches.

I've said it many times over the past couple of days, Georgia could be a very good job for someone, especially if they are really going to pay $2 million.

If they are really paying $2 million, I could definitely see Mike Anderson listening.

I'd go after Sean Miller, Mike Anderson, Tubby Smith, etc.

However, I think they probably end up with another up-and-comer.

weresoclose

Bring Tubby back?  Too weird. 

Mike A. or anyone else would jump at a DOUBLE salary from what they were making (even if he gets his 1.3 mil salary as being reported, that's Pel's entire salary less than Georgia would offer).  You'd have to be a fool not to. 

I bet they get somebody out of nowhere.  Not an up-and-comer, but a surprise.  No guesses on who that would be, though.

want2be

With Kentucky snubbing BG, I think he would be a good fit a Georgia with a chip on his shoulders to prove what he can do. Either that are he could end up at Texas Tech.

donewithdale

UGa had decided to go after more experienced and proven candidates instead of Grant.  Sean Miller has been mentioned for a couple of weeks as well as Capel.  UGa football makes so much that the athl dept makes a good profit so they can afford it.  Its can they find a coach that wants to compete against the ACC in recruiting the Atlanta area to a school known as a football school with little fan support.

Razorod

The job will get a lot tougher if Cal goes to KY:

Two games against Donovan and Fla
Two games against Cal and KY
Two games against Pearl and Tenn
A trip to Nashville to play in a tough gym against Vandy--and that's just inside your division.

Also, a lot of people are high on Horn and the job he is/will do at S. Car.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogfan064

Georgia is not a good job.  They play in an awful arena and lack fan support.  It's the worst job in the SEC East

I doubt they land a big name. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 30, 2009, 11:43:39 am
Georgia is not a good job.  They play in an awful arena and lack fan support.  It's the worst job in the SEC East

I doubt they land a big name. 

Right now it is.  While Tubby was there, it was top 2 in the East.  And it can be again, with the right coach.  There is TONS of talent within that state's borders.  You just have to keep the talent in-state and away from GT to be successful at Georgia.  It's definitely not easy to do.  But, if you can do it, you can be very successful.

And, if they really are going to pay $2 million, that makes it an even better job.

lovetthog1

I just don't know. There are no quality coaches out there that want a job. Especially when you are only paying 2 mill. They should have never fired their coach to begin with. Coaching searches are too hard on many fragile fans. This will set their program back for at least a decade. They should have had at least five new candidates lined up prior to even considering a coaching change. They should have just brought in some new assistants. I fear my beloved bulldogs will never recover.

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 11:55:42 am
Right now it is.  While Tubby was there, it was top 2 in the East.  And it can be again, with the right coach.  There is TONS of talent within that state's borders.  You just have to keep the talent in-state and away from GT to be successful at Georgia.  It's definitely not easy to do.  But, if you can do it, you can be very successful.

And, if they really are going to pay $2 million, that makes it an even better job.

Tubby was only at Georgia for 2 years.  South Carolina was probably the #2 team at that time as they won the SEC in 1997 under Fogler.

Georgia lacks fan support.  Even when they win they don't draw well.   Yes, its close to Atlanta, but so is Auburn, Clemson, and South Carolina. 

At best this is a job where you might get to the sweet 16 every few years.  Georgia will never be a power in basketball.     

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 30, 2009, 12:06:21 pm
Tubby was only at Georgia for 2 years.  South Carolina was probably the #2 team at that time as they won the SEC in 1997 under Fogler.

Georgia lacks fan support.  Even when they win they don't draw well.   Yes, its close to Atlanta, but so is Auburn, Clemson, and South Carolina. 

At best this is a job where you might get to the sweet 16 every few years.  Georgia will never be a power in basketball.    

That is complete crap.  Just look at Florida.

That can happen at Georgia, easy.

want2be

The multimillion dollars ESPN paid for rights to the SEC should force all the teams to step up their basketball programs. Bama has set a new pace by paying an up and comer 2 mil......Now it appears that Georgia will try to follow suit............They need to get a coach who is a proven recruiter and remodel their arena.

Now we Hog fans have to wait and be patient for what ?

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 30, 2009, 12:08:02 pm
That is complete crap.  Just look at Florida.

That can happen at Georgia, easy.

It isn't complete crap.  In over 100 years of playing basketball Georgia has 1 conference title.  They only have 10 tourney appearances.  Stegeman is one of the worst facilities in the SEC.

Georgia isn't going to attract a big name, unless its a washed up big name with some issues.  It's possible they could end up like Florida and hit a homerun on a younger guy, but UGA is much further down today than where Florida was when Billy D. was hired at UF.   

The Hogfather

Here is some talent that has come/is coming from the state of Georgia, in just the past couple of years:

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 29, 2009, 09:15:29 am
I'm not sure that Missouri is a better job than Georgia COULD BE.  The state of Georgia produces A TON of talent.  If he could keep them in-state and away from Georgia Tech, he could be very successful there.  Here are a couple of kids from Georgia:  Jodie Meeks, Aminu (5-star @ Wake), Derrick Favors (highly touted recruit going to GT), Tony Woods (5-star @ Wake), Ari Stewart (4-star going to Wake), Dwight Howard, 3 other 4-star players going to Georgia Tech next year, Javaris Crittenton, Lewis Clinch, Mike Mercer, Louis Williams (5-star), Jeremy Price (4-star, will be a good player for Georgia), just to name a few.  Georgia produces a lot of talent.  All they need is someone to keep it in the SEC and that coach will be very successful there.

I can't believe Bama is paying Grant $2 million.  I think he's going to be a great coach.  But, that is just stupid.

want2be

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 30, 2009, 12:14:29 pm
It isn't complete crap.  In over 100 years of playing basketball Georgia has 1 conference title.  They only have 10 tourney appearances.  Stegeman is one of the worst facilities in the SEC.

Georgia isn't going to attract a big name, unless its a washed up big name with some issues.  It's possible they could end up like Florida and hit a homerun on a younger guy, but UGA is much further down today than where Florida was when Billy D. was hired at UF.  

One big name washout that wants the job is B. Knight

hogfan064

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 12:13:30 pm

The multimillion dollars ESPN paid for rights to the SEC should force all the teams to step up their basketball programs. Bama has set a new pace by paying an up and comer 2 mil......Now it appears that Georgia will try to follow suit............They need to get a coach who is a proven recruiter and remodel their arena.

Now we Hog fans have to wait and be patient for what ?

Bama basically went out and hired the same guy we did.  Grant was a Florida assistant who did well at a mid major school for a couple years.  Pel did the same.  The only difference is that Grant beat Duke in the tourney.   Pel inherited a South Alabama team in a mess and Grant inherited a VCU team that Capel had just left in good shape.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, right now its way to early to judge that.

hogfan064

Quote from: want2be on March 30, 2009, 12:17:47 pm

One big name washout that wants the job is B. Knight

He wanted the South Carolina job last year too

want2be

Now that Kentucky has offered Cal 6.66 million per year.........the SEC is going to go crazy paying coaches like they did in football.

rzrbackrob

As long as the hogs are paying pel under 1mil they need to use that extra money to build a practice facility.
The price to keep Pel will go up after next year, or Arkansas will pay big money for a new coach.
Good is the enemy of great

HotlantaHog

I agree with all the comments that Georgia hasn't, doesn't and is unlikely to support basketball to the degree that a lot of other schools do.

That is just a fact. The UGa people pretty much as concede that is true. It will always be second tier to football.

Still, UGA has at least one asset. It is essentially part of the metro Atlanta market (UGA is the dominant school in the media market and maybe 60 miles away). Metro Atlanta is a huge area for recruiting and regularly generates top players. Someone who could tap into the market for talent could well turn UGA around.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 30, 2009, 05:02:32 pm
I agree with all the comments that Georgia hasn't, doesn't and is unlikely to support basketball to the degree that a lot of other schools do.

That is just a fact. The UGa people pretty much as concede that is true. It will always be second tier to football.

Still, UGA has at least one asset. It is essentially part of the metro Atlanta market (UGA is the dominant school in the media market and maybe 60 miles away). Metro Atlanta is a huge area for recruiting and regularly generates top players. Someone who could tap into the market for talent could well turn UGA around.

Florida is the same way.  I don't think the next coach there will be looking to stay there for an eternity. 

If they get someone with decent name recognition, they could keep the talent in-state and away from GT.  That would go a very long way in turning the program around.  And if they really are going to pay $2 million, that is a very good salary.  If I was a fairly young coach, I'd take that job in a heartbeat.

Expectations are low, pay is decently high, turnaround can most definitely happen due to a very, very good talent base in the state of Georgia.

husker71

Leonard Hamilton from FSU to Georgia.  Frank Martin from KSU to FSU. He was high school coach there but had to forfeit all games one year for recruiting Steve Blake and Udonis Haslem to school. And Dalonte Hill who recruited Beasley and Walker will take over at Kansas St.

upperdeck_hawg

georgia has lsu potential in that they could recruit a final four team every year within their state line. someone like tubby would be scary at georgia.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

blacksuit

A current trend is traditional football powers (usually large public universities) muscling their way into basketball success. Look at Texas, Ohio State, USC, Florida, Oklahoma. Georgia could be in that group if they make the investment: coaching, facilities, institutional commitment to basketball.

WMHawgfan

I think they should offer calipari 7.5mil a year just to piss off the ky people and make them dig deeper. then go after anderson.

Smokehouse

Lots of coaching talent coming into the SEC. The conference is not going to be down for long.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

sirhog

I think they should make a run at Gillespe. I think he is a good coach, just got in a bad situation. He could be the type of coach he wants and most of the Georgia fans wouldn't care either way. At KY his every move was scrutinized.

Hawgusta

I'd go with one of the Nutt boys.

want2be

I am hearing that Mike Anderson may be in the running at Georgia

Redbug

I'd go convince Tim Floyd to leave USC and comeback tp his southern roots.....

Mr. Porkleone

In memphis now, fox affiliate just reported Georgia offered anderson 2Mil per year

The Hogfather

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 30, 2009, 07:45:56 pm
In memphis now, fox affiliate just reported Georgia offered anderson 2Mil per year

I would go in a heartbeat, if I was him.  Missouri will not pay him close to that, Georgia has more talent in their state, and his team at Missouri won't be nearly as good as they were this year.

NateMan

The Hogfather

I'm telling you guys, a good coach can have success there.  Man, if they could get someone like Calipari at Georgia, they could win a National Championship there, fan support/nice arena, or not.

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 09:21:38 am
I'm telling you guys, a good coach can have success there.  Man, if they could get someone like Calipari at Georgia, they could win a National Championship there, fan support/nice arena, or not.

All you are looking at is instate talent.  That talent goes to the ACC though.  Atlanta is an ACC city when it comes to basketball, just look at the ACC tourney attendance compared to the SEC tourney attendance when the event is in Atlanta.

Sure a big name coach could do well there, but a big name coach won't take that job.  Why would they?  I live 2 hours from Athens and have many Bulldog friends. Most couldn't name a player on the basketball team.

If I'm a young coach at a mid major school then yeah, I would take this job.  But that could be said for any SEC school.  Why wouldn't a mid major coach want any SEC job? 

The UGA basketball job is like the MSU football job.  Plenty of instate talent, but due to lack of fan support, facilities, and tradition most of that talent goes elsewhere. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 10:41:39 am
All you are looking at is instate talent.  That talent goes to the ACC though.  Atlanta is an ACC city when it comes to basketball, just look at the ACC tourney attendance compared to the SEC tourney attendance when the event is in Atlanta.

Sure a big name coach could do well there, but a big name coach won't take that job.  Why would they?  I live 2 hours from Athens and have many Bulldog friends. Most couldn't name a player on the basketball team.

If I'm a young coach at a mid major school then yeah, I would take this job.  But that could be said for any SEC school.  Why wouldn't a mid major coach want any SEC job? 

The UGA basketball job is like the MSU football job.  Plenty of instate talent, but due to lack of fan support, facilities, and tradition most of that talent goes elsewhere. 

All you are looking at is what is happening RIGHT NOW.  A good recruiter can change that in an instant.  ESPN is going to make the SEC the most powerful league in the nation, just like in football, in the next couple of years.  I will make a friendly wager with you that Georgia will be a more successful program than Georgia Tech over the next 10 years, assuming they sign a decent coach this year.

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 10:51:04 am
All you are looking at is what is happening RIGHT NOW.  A good recruiter can change that in an instant.  ESPN is going to make the SEC the most powerful league in the nation, just like in football, in the next couple of years.  I will make a friendly wager with you that Georgia will be a more successful program than Georgia Tech over the next 10 years, assuming they sign a decent coach this year.

They might be better than GT because Tech has much more competition in the ACC.  GT has been down for a few seasons now anyways. 

I'll make this wager with you.  In the next 10 years UT, UK, UF, and Vandy will all have more conference wins than Georgia.  I'd throw USC into that, but I think Horn is still a bit of an unknown. 

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 10:51:04 am
All you are looking at is what is happening RIGHT NOW. 

And I'm not looking at right now.  I'm looking at the history of Georgia's program and RIGHT NOW.  History says UGA won't get it done and won't be a top team in the SEC.   History says that even when UGA wins 20+ games, fans still don't show up.  During the Tubby days they struggled to get 7,000 fans in the stands for many games. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 10:57:08 am
And I'm not looking at right now.  I'm looking at the history of Georgia's program and RIGHT NOW.  History says UGA won't get it done and won't be a top team in the SEC.   History says that even when UGA wins 20+ games, fans still don't show up.  During the Tubby days they struggled to get 7,000 fans in the stands for many games. 

I'm not talking about fans showing up.  I'm talking about success on the court.  Florida had a great run of success under Donovan and they still can't get people to show up 1 year removed from back-to-back NCs. 

Tubby showed what could be done at Georgia.  And I think a coach will be able to have even more success there in the near future, due to the upcoming TV deal with ESPN.

Georgia would be smart to get a great recruiter in there now, even if it costs them $2 million+.  They'll be able to have a great deal of success in the future, if they chose to do that.

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 11:01:37 am
I'm not talking about fans showing up.  I'm talking about success on the court.  Florida had a great run of success under Donovan and they still can't get people to show up 1 year removed from back-to-back NCs. 

Tubby showed what could be done at Georgia.  And I think a coach will be able to have even more success there in the near future, due to the upcoming TV deal with ESPN.

Georgia would be smart to get a great recruiter in there now, even if it costs them $2 million+.  They'll be able to have a great deal of success in the future, if they chose to do that.

In a 10 year span do you really think UGA will be one of the top 3 teams in the SEC East on average?  Sure those years where they might have some experience they could make the NCAA tourney, but most years they will be in the bottom 3.  If I'm a coach like Mike Anderson I don't take a job like that. I take a job like Memphis, Kentucky, Arkansas(if ever open), or maybe somewhere like Maryland.   If I'm a coach like Mike Davis(UAB), then I take a long hard look at it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:06:33 am
In a 10 year span do you really think UGA will be one of the top 3 teams in the SEC East on average?  Sure those years where they might have some experience they could make the NCAA tourney, but most years they will be in the bottom 3.  If I'm a coach like Mike Anderson I don't take a job like that. I take a job like Memphis, Kentucky, Arkansas(if ever open), or maybe somewhere like Maryland.   If I'm a coach like Mike Davis(UAB), then I take a long hard look at it.

I've said more than once, Mike Anderson should take a job somewhere else now, if he wants to leave Missouri.  I don't care if it is for Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Memphis, UAB, Washington State, etc.  He will not duplicate the success he had this year with Missouri.  This is as high as he's going to get at Missouri, in my opinion.

I would jump at $2 million ($700,000 more/year than Missouri is proposing) and the Georgia talent base in a minute, if I was Mike Anderson.  But, I'm not, so we'll see....

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:06:33 am
In a 10 year span do you really think UGA will be one of the top 3 teams in the SEC East on average?  Sure those years where they might have some experience they could make the NCAA tourney, but most years they will be in the bottom 3.  If I'm a coach like Mike Anderson I don't take a job like that. I take a job like Memphis, Kentucky, Arkansas(if ever open), or maybe somewhere like Maryland.   If I'm a coach like Mike Davis(UAB), then I take a long hard look at it.

I think Georgia can be right behind Kentucky, with the right coach, in terms of on-court success.  They can certainly be in the top 3 in the East most years.  As most know, I'm not sold on Pearl's ability to make Tennessee a continual power.  I think he just came in at the right time to Tennessee.  As you said, Horn is unproven (Western Kentucky is a traditional power and he had a pretty good nucleus on the team he inherited at USC).  Donovan is always going to have Florida in contention.  But, I think Georgia could spar with Florida for the 2-spot, if a coach can get the in-state talent to come to Georgia (and I think the right coach can).

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 11:11:03 am
I've said more than once, Mike Anderson should take a job somewhere else now, if he wants to leave Missouri.  I don't care if it is for Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Memphis, UAB, Washington State, etc.  He will not duplicate the success he had this year with Missouri.  This is as high as he's going to get at Missouri, in my opinion.

I would jump at $2 million ($700,000 more/year than Missouri is proposing) and the Georgia talent base in a minute, if I was Mike Anderson.  But, I'm not, so we'll see....

Anderson needs to hold out for better.  I agree, this might be the best he can do at Missouri, but I don't think he could ever do this good at Georgia.  Either the UK or Memphis job is about to be open, he should wait and see if either wants him.  If not he can win 20+ at Missouri next year and then look at what else is open next year.   Earlier when Maryland was struggling it was rumored they would contact Oliver Purnell or Mike Anderson.  Maryland is a fantastic job. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:18:37 am
Anderson needs to hold out for better.  I agree, this might be the best he can do at Missouri, but I don't think he could ever do this good at Georgia.  Either the UK or Memphis job is about to be open, he should wait and see if either wants him.  If not he can win 20+ at Missouri next year and then look at what else is open next year.   Earlier when Maryland was struggling it was rumored they would contact Oliver Purnell or Mike Anderson.  Maryland is a fantastic job. 

Agree re:  Maryland.  If Memphis offers, I think I'd take that job over Georgia at the moment.  But, Georgia could be a very good job for someone.

HeathWimp

March 31, 2009, 11:33:34 am #44 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:35:16 am by HeathWimp
Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 30, 2009, 04:45:36 pm
As long as the hogs are paying pel under 1mil they need to use that extra money to build a practice facility.
The price to keep Pel will go up after next year, or Arkansas will pay big money for a new coach.

You really think Pel's price will go up after we go 3-13 in SEC play next year?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hogfan064

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 31, 2009, 11:26:44 am
Agree re:  Maryland.  If Memphis offers, I think I'd take that job over Georgia at the moment.  But, Georgia could be a very good job for someone.

I think Andy Kennedy could do some damage at UGA.  UGA is a better job than Ole Miss, which I think is the worst job in the SEC. 

toozakpig

If they get the right person, then GA could be a player in the league.

want2be

Gillipse wants to coach next year and I would bet he is in the running

Georga got up to 2.1 million on Anderson before he turned them down

husker71

Leonard Hamilton of Fla St to Georgia then Frank Martin of Kansas St to Fla ST and Dalonte Hill will take over Kansas St

ur

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 31, 2009, 11:37:09 am
I think Andy Kennedy could do some damage at UGA.  UGA is a better job than Ole Miss, which I think is the worst job in the SEC. 
Then ol miss could get nolan. That would make things interesting. Dale and Nolan together again. I actually think Nolan would be successful in college basketball today because it is so watered down. All the good players are in the NBA. Not anything like it used to be.