Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality Check: Mizzou was 16-16 last year in MA's 2nd season

Started by NWARazor, March 27, 2009, 09:30:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARazor

Lots of people on here seem to want Pel gone after going 14-16 this year.

What if Mizzou had fired MA last year after he went 16-16 in his 2nd season? 

Because it's Everything Texas isn't; Better than Ole Miss; a Northerner's Dream and a Southerner's Wish; the Pride of Arkansas; The Ultimate College Experience; Wooooo Pig Sooie; Old Main; LSU's Worst Nightmare; And a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever...

midwestcityhog

Quote from: NWARazor on March 27, 2009, 09:30:54 pm
Lots of people on here seem to want Pel gone after going 14-16 this year.

What if Mizzou had fired MA last year after he went 16-16 in his 2nd season? 

i'm glad for mike's success for sure, and am rooting for the tigers, but this is true.  whether or not pelphrey sinks or swims us to a title, it takes TIME to rebuild.  look at donovan at florida... won 2 titles, and 2 years later, he has back to back NIT appearances...

give pel another year or two, and if no progress is made, cut him loose and interview anderson among others.

razorbacksR4ever

2-14 i dont remember Anderson having that as a conference record ever. If i am wrong someone please correct me.

NWARazor

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 27, 2009, 09:46:53 pm
2-14 i dont remember Anderson having that as a conference record ever. If i am wrong someone please correct me.
His conference record was 6-11 last year. One of those wins was over Texas in Columbia (a team the Razorbacks beat at home this year).  And one of his non-conference losses was against the Razorbacks on 11/28/07 at Bud Walton by 3 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007-08_Missouri_Tigers_men%27s_basketball_team
Because it's Everything Texas isn't; Better than Ole Miss; a Northerner's Dream and a Southerner's Wish; the Pride of Arkansas; The Ultimate College Experience; Wooooo Pig Sooie; Old Main; LSU's Worst Nightmare; And a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever...

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 27, 2009, 09:52:50 pm

For those that say Pel was handed a bad hand, so was Anderson with the Quinn Snyder mess...Pel will be lucky to make the NIT next year.

well the probation wasn't great, but Quinn Snyder even got Mizzou to an Elite 8 a few years pre-anderson (not defending pel, just saying)

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Hoggy1

Ok, If Pel gets 30 wins and an elite 8 next year I'll eat crow.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

razorbacksR4ever

Pel wont make it through the year much less to the post season.

razorbacksR4ever

Quote from: NWARazor on March 27, 2009, 09:52:45 pm
His conference record was 6-11 last year. One of those wins was over Texas in Columbia (a team the Razorbacks beat at home this year).  And one of his non-conference losses was against the Razorbacks on 11/28/07 at Bud Walton by 3 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007-08_Missouri_Tigers_men%27s_basketball_team

i would trade 6-11 for 2-15 .... ??? only if i was a pel supporter

Smithian

Mike Anderson isn't totally infront of Doc Sadler yet in my eyes. If Mike Anderson has another year of butt kicking like this one next year, then he is clearly ahead of Doc.

passinghog

Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2009, 10:38:32 pm
Mike Anderson isn't totally infront of Doc Sadler yet in my eyes. If Mike Anderson has another year of butt kicking like this one next year, then he is clearly ahead of Doc.

that's bullshiite.
How many Sweet 16's does Doc Sadler have?
He hasn't done jack @ D-1.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 27, 2009, 10:28:14 pm
Pel wont make it through the year

um, what?  why would he be fired mid-year?   he may not be john wooden when all is said and done, but why are we all assured he's doomed to failure?  did you not see us whip OU and texas with a full roster?  did we not praise his coaching ability to marginalize blake griffin and aj abrams?  yes, we were 2-14 with some crazy overtime losses.  i think once our guys started losing it just spiraled out of control, and in the end, it was just a "let's just get this season overwith" year.   

but why is it destined that he will be awful next year?  im really sold on the new guys (been reading the recruiting forum) particularly powell.  it will be nice to have some size next year.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2009, 10:38:32 pm

Heh....Doc Sadler my a$$, no way that clown will ever be the HC here.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: passinghog on March 27, 2009, 10:40:23 pm
that's bullshiite.
How many Sweet 16's does Doc Sadler have?
He hasn't done jack @ D-1.

its not all about sweet 16s, you know.  it's about coaching with what you have and what you can recruit.  im not a huge sadler fan either, but he's done wonders for a program that has been on life support as an afterthought for 50 years (save a brief period with danny nee).  making the ncaas is worthy of a parade for nebraska, and yet sadler had them battling for a ncaa berth until late february in the big XII.

it'd be like saying 'roy williams is a better coach at unc than mark few is at gonzaga bc roy won a title and few has only gotten to the elite 8'.   tom ostrom could win a title with the unc bunch in 05 - their entire starting roster was drafted that year, with 4 in the first round.  gonzaga was nothing before the santangelo players and thier '99 and 2000 runs.  so i give few the edge because he did more with less.

secfan30

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 27, 2009, 10:50:32 pm
Heh....Doc Sadler my a$$, no way that clown will ever be the HC here.

You prob are right, but considering what he has done at Nebraska is commendable. If I am not mistaken his victory total in 2 years is the best start or tied for the best start in Nebraska History. If Pel does not get it next year, break the bank to get Anderson here.

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 27, 2009, 09:46:53 pm

Yeah, but Pel had a better record in the Big XII than Mike did this year. . . 2-0

MaxMaloney

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 27, 2009, 10:52:59 pm
  im not a huge sadler fan either, but he's done wonders for a program that has been on life support as an afterthought for 50 years (save a brief period with danny nee).  making the ncaas is worthy of a parade for nebraska, and yet sadler had them battling for a ncaa berth until late february in the big XII.

While I will grant you that historically Missouri has had much greater succsess than Nebraska, this has little bearing on the state of the program each man took over. 

The 3 years before Doc took over, Nebraska finished
18-13(6-10), 14-14(7-9), and 19-14(7-9) with 2 NIT bids.
The 3 years since:
17-14(6-10), 20-12(7-9), and 18-13(8-8) with 2 NIT bids.

The 3 years before Anderson took over were just as bad if not worse than the 3 before Doc took over:
16-14(9-7), 16-17 (7-9), 10-11 (3-7) with 2 NIT bids
Since Anderson took over:
18-12 (7-9), 16-16 (6-10) 31-6 (12-4) with an Elite Eight bid and counting.  Now that's what I call "wonders".

midwestcityhog

Quote from: MaxMaloney on March 28, 2009, 12:03:06 am
Since Anderson took over:
18-12 (7-9), 16-16 (6-10) 31-6 (12-4) with an Elite Eight bid and counting.  Now that's what I call "wonders".

maybe, but remember missouri was in the elite 8 as recent as 2003? under quinn snyder. 

not taking away from mike, i really like him and would like him here someday, but its not as if mizzou was a dog program when he went there, probation or not.

hawgsav1

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 12:12:48 am
maybe, but remember missouri was in the elite 8 as recent as 2003? under quinn snyder. 

not taking away from mike, i really like him and would like him here someday, but its not as if mizzou was a dog program when he went there, probation or not.

Mizzou was in the Elite 8, but Quin Snyder's lack of ethics when it came to recruiting kind of did him in.  Mizzou was put on probation and Quin Snyder was fired after the whole Ricky Clemons thing came to light. It's like saying Kelvin Sampson left Tom Crean in a good position at Indiana because his team did well that season with Eric Gordon and DJ White.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 27, 2009, 10:16:57 pm
Ok, If Pel gets 30 wins and an elite 8 next year I'll eat crow.

Shoot, I don't even care about the win total, honestly. If we end up in the Elite eight I'll share some crow with you.

Unfortunately, we'll be lucky to make the NIT next year. If we make the NIT, Pel will get a third year. If he doesn't, I hope he's not retained.

SPAL

This is a good point, one that I was curious about. The 2 situations are eerily similar. They won 4 more conf games under mike in year 2 than we did this season in pels second season while the non conf looks about the same.

That mizzou team had 6 players who played at least 20 minutes and another who played 19.7. So basically 7 players playing 20+ minutes with nobody having to play 30 minutes a game. Arkansas has 3 players who played 30+ minutes, 2 who played 20+, welsh played 29.5, so basically 4 players who had to play 30+ and 2 playing 20 with Britt gettin 18.9 and Henry 18.4.

So, It doesn't seem that Pel was able to really implement his style of defense due to lack of depth.
Pel pretty much had no options once mcdonald and monk left the team. At best, Pel had the luxury of 9 players...reality...Clarke and Moore averaged under 10 minutes a game for a reason, leaving Pel with 7 players, 4 who played at least 30 minutes a game, for the entire portion of the SEC schedule. Oh and by the way, 4 of the remaining 7 were freshman.

Im really not interested in hearing you label legit reasons for failure as excuses. There is a reason Pel said at the very start of this season that if this team won 20 games they would be overachieving. Every single one of you had low expectations for this team and Vegas said we would finish last in the west....wonder why they felt that way? Nobody had high expectations going into this season, including the head coach, but every single one of you were in love with Pel....Now, we do exactly what everyone thought we were goin to do, while being close in a lot of games, and everyone hates Pel....fickle I tell ya, fickle to the very letter.

Why did you suddenly turn on Pel? Because we upset OU and Texas in the same week. Because the SEC is down? That doesnt change who we are. Because Forrest City Joe whines that we should be better?....you turned on him because you are fickle, delusional, and insane, admit it and move on to football and hope next year is better. If its not, then we make changes.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 28, 2009, 02:47:05 am

So, It doesn't seem that Pel was able to really implement his style of defense due to lack of depth.
Pel pretty much had no options once mcdonald and monk left the team. At best, Pel had the luxury of 9 players...reality...Clarke and Moore averaged under 10 minutes a game for a reason, leaving Pel with 7 players, 4 who played at least 30 minutes a game, for the entire portion of the SEC schedule. Oh and by the way, 4 of the remaining 7 were freshman.

Im really not interested in hearing you label legit reasons for failure as excuses. There is a reason Pel said at the very start of this season that if this team won 20 games they would be overachieving. Every single one of you had low expectations for this team and Vegas said we would finish last in the west....wonder why they felt that way? Nobody had high expectations going into this season, including the head coach, but every single one of you were in love with Pel....Now, we do exactly what everyone thought we were goin to do, while being close in a lot of games, and everyone hates Pel....fickle I tell ya, fickle to the very letter.

Why did you suddenly turn on Pel? Because we upset OU and Texas in the same week. Because the SEC is down? That doesnt change who we are. Because Forrest City Joe whines that we should be better?....you turned on him because you are fickle, delusional, and insane, admit it and move on to football and hope next year is better. If its not, then we make changes.

But here's the thing. Mike Anderson had "done it before" at UAB. He had built a program and made a sweet 16 run before his move to Missouri. I know someone will point to Pel's epic Sun Belt title, but he didn't win any tournament games. Not only did MA win a tournament game, they won 2. (Maybe 3, did they make the second round the year after the sweet 16?).

Now, he's gone to Missouri, fresh off probation and all kinds of awful stuff that ruins a program, and now has them winning the Big 12 and into the Elite Eight. You basically know at this point what Anderson will bring you: Entertaining basketball, maybe a conference championship, and deep tournament runs. All good things.

Now I don't think that Pel is as bad as he was last year. But you have to admit that 2-15 in the 6th or 7th (depending on the source) ranked conference in the country is unacceptable no matter if you have freshmen or a team of lepers. It just is. If we even come close to that next year, he should be fired on the spot.

SPAL

Could mike have made it to the tourney, let alone the elite 8 playing with 7 players...4 of which played 30 minutes a game using his 40 minutes of chaos?

Legit question right?

hogman1974

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 27, 2009, 09:52:50 pm
This is good news..can we book 30 plus wins next year and a possible trip to the final four? Man, I was really worried for the past few weeks.

For those that say Pel was handed a bad hand, so was Anderson with the Quinn Snyder mess...Pel will be lucky to make the NIT next year.

That's the spirit!

SPAL

I guess he did win 2 in the tourney in 03 playing with 7 guys but none played 30+ and only 2 freshman played big minutes.

Newhopehog

The glue of mike's team right now is two seniors that he did not recruit...they were already there....He may be good(or even great) but it is too soon to crown him king of bb yet....fyi I was one that wanted mike hired when nolan was fired.....but I support pel 100 percent....   

Razorpigg

Speedracer

yeah this whole fire Pelphrey thing is kind of out of control.  Just earlier this year we were all talking about how concerned we were that he'd leave for Kentucky if Clyde got fired.  We were talking about how washington may be a lottery pick.  Now everyone wants this guy out of town.  Crazy.
Like smites bother me.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Speedracer on March 28, 2009, 10:34:41 am
yeah this whole fire Pelphrey thing is kind of out of control.  Just earlier this year we were all talking about how concerned we were that he'd leave for Kentucky if Clyde got fired.  We were talking about how washington may be a lottery pick.  Now everyone wants this guy out of town.  Crazy.

Not everyone Speedracer.  Just the fair-weathered ones.

Hoggy1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 28, 2009, 02:59:36 am
Could mike have made it to the tourney, let alone the elite 8 playing with 7 players...4 of which played 30 minutes a game using his 40 minutes of chaos?

Legit question right?

To answer this, I don't believe MA would have allowed this team to explode after beating Texas.  Thus maybe making the tourney.

Only a few coaches can lose a team like Pel did.

The Boar War

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 28, 2009, 03:07:05 am
I guess he did win 2 in the tourney in 03 playing with 7 guys but none played 30+ and only 2 freshman played big minutes.

Who determined that we would only play seven guys?  IMO Pelphrey cannot use the excuse of being thin when 1) He didn't give Brandon Moore or Andre Clark enough minutes. 2) He couldn't keep players like Henry, Moore, and to a lesser extent McDonald on the court and 3) He suggested Cyrus McGowan leave because he wanted to take a redshirt year last season.  Thats five more players who could have contributed much more down the stretch.  They might not have made an appreciable difference but at least we would have been able to rotate fresh players.   

midwestcityhog

Quote from: The Boar War on March 28, 2009, 01:43:42 pm
IMO Pelphrey cannot use the excuse of being thin when 1) He didn't give Brandon Moore or Andre Clark enough minutes.

So he should have started Moore the next game after the DWI?  and andre clark is pretty raw, he played a lot in the vandy game and was dominated by ogilvy for goodness sake. 

im not defending blindly, just saying he's sorta danged if he does or doesnt.  but i dont think he can be blamed for mcdonald leaving, that was his choice.  head case or not, whatever, but mcdonald left on his own free will.   have him, or monk, and you dont even think about mcgowan.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 02:04:44 pm
So he should have started Moore the next game after the DWI?  and andre clark is pretty raw, he played a lot in the vandy game and was dominated by ogilvy for goodness sake. 

im not defending blindly, just saying he's sorta danged if he does or doesnt.  but i dont think he can be blamed for mcdonald leaving, that was his choice.  head case or not, whatever, but mcdonald left on his own free will.   have him, or monk, and you dont even think about mcgowan.

But when we got to around 1-9 or 1-10, wouldn't it have been a good idea to get those guys some game experience for down the line? He couldn't have expected to really make a run or anything by then, and since this was a rebuilding year anyway, why not play everybody and try to develop them?

midwestcityhog

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 28, 2009, 02:25:58 pm
But when we got to around 1-9 or 1-10, wouldn't it have been a good idea to get those guys some game experience for down the line? He couldn't have expected to really make a run or anything by then, and since this was a rebuilding year anyway, why not play everybody and try to develop them?

i agree.  i wondered why we didn't send all 12 out there in the last few games, particularly after losing to ole miss at home.  i know the ide of making an secT run was in everyone's mind, so getting momentum for that was important, but as it turned out, the georgia win was an isolated incident.

good point.

razorbacksR4ever

i knew last year going into this year that we was not going to be very good. My tickets were for sale and i wasn't really going to attend any of the games except for OU and Texass. That team that beat texas and ou is not even remotely close to the team that went 2-15 ..........After you start 12-1 beating up on cup cakes and texas and ou....... well how in the hell do you go 2-15 ?????? jebus was houston nutt running our basketball team ? It was the same story week end and week out and as a head coach you are responsible to hold the ship right when its going to hell and pel failed at that. Not only that he lost control of his basketball team. I am not sure if he even had it. If (and i am still hold on to hope) he gets another year then possibly (with some of these players) then you could see the NCAA step in for lack of institutional control at the rate he is going.

heathtits

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 28, 2009, 03:07:05 am

He might not have made the tourni with our team this year, but you can bet every dollar in your bank account he would not have allowed the disgrace of a conference season that Pelphrey oversaw.

No way in hell MA goes 2-15 with our current set up.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: heathtits on March 28, 2009, 03:18:13 pm
He might not have made the tourni with our team this year, but you can bet every dollar in your bank account he would not have allowed the disgrace of a conference season that Pelphrey oversaw.

No way in hell MA goes 2-15 with our current set up.

And that's the worst thing about Pel right now. How do we go from 12-1 to 2-15? How do you lose that momentum? Add that to off the court issues and it's a bad time to be a Razorback basketball fan. Not all Pel's fault, but when you're the warden, you have to keep everyone in line.

WilsonHog

I've never understood the argument that is the premise on which this whole thread is based. It's a total comparison of apples and oranges, unless the staistical analysis runs deep enough that a meaningful correlation can be made between (a) the players Pel has this year and the players Mike had last year; (b) the coaching styles of Pel and Mike; and (c) the schedule strengths of the respective teams in the respective years.

It's a premise that on the surface sounds like it might have merit, but cannot stand up to scrutiny. The best that can be said is that, "Well, if we keep Pel for a third year he might have a better year than this year, just like Mike had a better year this year than last year."

Yeah, and he might have a worse one too, because I'm pretty certain with enough research we could find a coach whose team performed worse in year three than year two...and even if we could, THAT would be a comparison of apples and oranges as well.     

razorbacksR4ever

No comparison here for me 2-15 and i am off the wagon. He was 12-1 and just beat two top 10 teams at that time both who made the tourney and then he wins 2 games the rest of the year in a feaking crapy a*s conference at ARKANSAS ? Like i said i am not comparing i am evaluating. Granted we gave Stan way longer then we ever should have but enough is enough.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 28, 2009, 03:32:06 pm
No comparison here for me 2-15 and i am off the wagon. He was 12-1 and just beat two top 10 teams at that time both who made the tourney and then he wins 2 games the rest of the year in a feaking crapy a*s conference at ARKANSAS ? Like i said i am not comparing i am evaluating. Granted we gave Stan way longer then we ever should have but enough is enough.

better question, had we lost to OU and texas, and went 4-12 in conference (just like nolan's first year and stan's first and SECOND years), and still finished 14-16 overall (compared to 12-16 for nolan anda 9-19 and 12-16 for stan), would you still want him fired?

if we'd beaten ole miss at home and tennessee at home (the two closest losses) but LOST to Oklahoma and Texas, and were 4-12 (which is a typical record for 'last in the west' year in year out) and still 14-16 overall, would this board be so fed up with pel?

sadly, i think the answer is no....

The Boar War

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 02:04:44 pm

im not defending blindly, just saying he's sorta danged if he does or doesnt.  but i dont think he can be blamed for mcdonald leaving, that was his choice.  head case or not, whatever, but mcdonald left on his own free will.   have him, or monk, and you dont even think about mcgowan.

No.  Moore should not have started right after his DWI.  I don't think he should have played for a while.  But if he's going to remain on the team I think he probably should have played more than a few minutes the rest of the season. 

Andre Clark is pretty raw.  But so is the rest of the team.  Players don't season by sitting on the bench.  Get the kid some in-game experience.

I'm not sure what happened with McDonald.  What I do know is that Pelphrey thought enough of him to give him a scholarship and accept his commitment.  He brought the guy in, McDonald made some mistakes and went on to have a four or five game suspension before he decided to leave.  I'm not saying it might not have been warranted but Pelphrey (presumably) screened him and offered him the scholarship.

Pelphrey never recruited Marcus Monk.  Monk landed in his lap.  Sometimes good things like that happen.  But I doubt Pelphrey saw that one coming at the beginning of Monk's senior year of football. 

I really do think we could have benefitted from a 6'9 four star center (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=21465&Sport=2) but of course Steven Cox or Lavan Patsatsia were probably more deserving.   

razorbacksR4ever

March 28, 2009, 04:41:17 pm #41 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:45:36 pm by razorbacksR4ever
Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 04:03:00 pm
better question, had we lost to OU and texas, and went 4-12 in conference (just like nolan's first year and stan's first and SECOND years), and still finished 14-16 overall (compared to 12-16 for nolan anda 9-19 and 12-16 for stan), would you still want him fired?

if we'd beaten ole miss at home and tennessee at home (the two closest losses) but LOST to Oklahoma and Texas, and were 4-12 (which is a typical record for 'last in the west' year in year out) and still 14-16 overall, would this board be so fed up with pel?

sadly, i think the answer is no....
You present alot of ifs in your vison but here is a better one lets say he loses the ou and texas game and lets say Mr long doesn't have the 1994 team for the Georgia game so we lose that one to.
Pel would have already been fired. That would have made him 1-16 in the conference and 10-3 playing cup cakes. In no way shape form or fashion even on probation is this exceptable at the UOFA

midwestcityhog

March 28, 2009, 04:43:35 pm #42 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:45:28 pm by midwestcityhog
Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 28, 2009, 04:41:17 pm
You present alot of ifs in your vison but here is a better one lets say he loses the ou and texas game and lets say Mr long doesn't have the 1994 team for the Georgia game so we lose that one to.
Pel would have already been fired. That would have made him 1-15 in the conference and 10-3 playing cup cakes. In no way shape form or fashion even on probation is this exceptable at the UOFA

there is only one "what if" and you didnt answer the question

what if pel was still 14-16, 10-3 nonconference and 4-12 in the league (like our previous two coaches first year)?  what if we beat two more sec dogs instead of beating two big XII kings? would there still be rage at pel?  would people be calling for pel's head?

heathtits

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 04:43:35 pm
there is only one "what if" and you didnt answer the question

what if pel was still 14-16, 10-3 nonconference and 4-12 in the league (like our previous two coaches first year)?  what if we beat two more sec dogs instead of beating two big XII kings? would there still be rage at pel?  would people be calling for pel's head?

No they wouldn't. Because at 4 wins in the SEC, it is not the worst season in history for a historic program.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: heathtits on March 28, 2009, 04:52:56 pm
No they wouldn't. Because at 4 wins in the SEC, it is not the worst season in history for a historic program.

gotcha.   

so 14-16, 4-12 sec, 10-3 noncon (best outside win stephen f austin) would be "expected" of 'last in the west' and no real heat would be on pel

but 14-16, 2-14 sec, 12-1 noncon (best outside win #4 oklahoma) is cause for the hot seat and firing?

and when you do the math of all our close losses, you're basically conceding that the tennessee loss (where welsh & washington both missed point blank LAYUPS), the south carolina OT loss (where CF had no foul last play of regulation so the sec could protect a bubble team), or the ole miss OT loss (where sanchez missed the last shot in regulation), or the lsu home loss (where welsh missed the tying 3 pointer in regulation)...... is the reason for the hot seat?

so pel's job is on the line because of a missed layup vs tennie and a missed jumper against ole miss?

but had that layup and jumper have "swished" instead of "clanged", we'd be excited about next year and chalk it up to rebuilding?

really?  2 shots = hot seat?

razorbacksR4ever

look when did becoming 4-12 in conference become satisfactory for razorback fans. It don't matter weather the man was 4-12 or 1-15 in the conference that is not good either way. I have said once and i will say it again Stan was given Way to much time. PEL was not our first choice ..... was not our second choice ....... he was some where in that list but not our top two ..... I think some where in the mix of trying to rebuild our football team Arkansas fans have forgoten who we are. We won more games then any other team in the 90's. There was no better rivalry in the sec then Arkansas and Kentucky. Kentucky has already made there statement and fired there coach and said in no way is this Kentucky basketball. IMO Arkansas should have already done the same .HE WAS OUR THRID CHOICE GUYS. Some of you act like the man walks on water. He has done absolutely nothing in the program when it compares with what Nolan did late 80's early 90's. So he won one sun belt title ????? BIG DEAL

razorbacksR4ever

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 28, 2009, 04:58:23 pm
gotcha.   

so 14-16, 4-12 sec, 10-3 noncon (best outside win stephen f austin) would be "expected" of 'last in the west' and no real heat would be on pel

but 14-16, 2-14 sec, 12-1 noncon (best outside win #4 oklahoma) is cause for the hot seat and firing?

and when you do the math of all our close losses, you're basically conceding that the tennessee loss (where welsh & washington both missed point blank LAYUPS), the south carolina OT loss (where CF had no foul last play of regulation so the sec could protect a bubble team), or the ole miss OT loss (where sanchez missed the last shot in regulation), or the lsu home loss (where welsh missed the tying 3 pointer in regulation)...... is the reason for the hot seat?

so pel's job is on the line because of a missed layup vs tennie and a missed jumper against ole miss?

but had that layup and jumper have "swished" instead of "clanged", we'd be excited about next year and chalk it up to rebuilding?

really?  2 shots = hot seat?

Looks like a bunch of shoulda woulda coulda crap and thats diffently not arkansas basketball!

midwestcityhog

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 28, 2009, 04:59:30 pm
look when did becoming 4-12 in conference become satisfactory for razorback fans.

considering nolan's first year he was 4-12
considering stan's first year he was 4-12
considering stan's SECOND year he was 4-12
considering the "consensus last in the west" since we joined the sec has ranged from 2-14 to 4-12
considering the hogs were picked "consensus last in the west" -- BEFORE beverley and mcdonald left i believe

it's not "satisfactory", but we're not crazy fans that expect championships out of an average situation either. 

midwestcityhog

Quote from: razorbacksR4ever on March 28, 2009, 05:02:28 pm
Looks like a bunch of shoulda woulda coulda crap and thats diffently not arkansas basketball!

good answer. 

so yes, two shots are responsible for pel being on the "hot seat", and a 14-16 record is only fire-worthy if you win 2 sec games instead of 4.  gotcha.

WilsonHog

Y'all are giving me a headache.

Please...just....stop.