Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gillispie out per ESPN - Link Attached

Started by Jdub, March 27, 2009, 12:51:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdub

As per a Kentucky newspaper.

WOW, better have a better one lined up.

ThrillaHog

I love it, Oh how the mighty have fallen, much love from the ARK!!!  ;)

lovetthog1

hoglady

I wonder if Gillespie is now wishing he had taken the Arkansas job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hoglady on March 27, 2009, 01:02:51 pm
I if Gillespie is now wishing he had taken the Arkansas job.

I if Kentucky wishing they would have hired someone else two.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoglady

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 27, 2009, 01:03:47 pm
I if Kentucky wishing they would have hired someone else two.

I corrected my quote.  ;)
That was my brain working a little different than my fingers. It happens sometimes.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on March 27, 2009, 01:02:51 pm
I if Gillespie is now wishing he had taken the Arkansas job.

I if I is now wishing I hadn't had pizza for lunch.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on March 27, 2009, 01:07:41 pm
I corrected my quote.  ;)
That was my brain working a little different than my fingers. It happens sometimes.

lol, Shrute doesn't miss much.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

lovetthog1

And the carousel starts to spin.........

Monk-N-Dunk

Kentucky boards reporting Travis Ford being announced early as Tuesday.

WMHawgfan

WilsonHog

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on March 27, 2009, 01:20:52 pm
Kentucky boards reporting Travis Ford being announced early as Tuesday.

Not good.

There was at least one 'Cat fan who has vowed to set someone on fire should Ford be hired.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 27, 2009, 01:16:34 pm
And the carousel starts to spin.........

Probably a good thing we are not looking for a coach this year.   Too many high level openings:  Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, KY will start the ball rolling which could lead to openings at OK St., Louisville, Pitt, Florida, Missouri, etc.

Personally I hope Jamie Dixon and Mike Anderson stay put at least for this year.  But with that being said I still love me some Opie.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Jdub

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 27, 2009, 01:01:47 pm
Do you have a link ?

Just an update from ESPN radio.  They are reporting a Louisville TV or radio station is reporting that he is out.  They say the school is denying it.

More to come......

Hawgrox

Quote from: WMHawgfan on March 27, 2009, 01:21:18 pm
I if I just Steven Hill

Dang dude! Beat me too it. I am getting slow in my old(er) age...

I really thought they would give BCG another year. I heard him say that Meeks was coming back. What does their recruiting class look like right now? Are they filling needs?

Razorpigg

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2009, 01:23:03 pm
Not good.

There was at least one 'Cat fan who has vowed to set someone on fire should Ford be hired.

lmao thats great

lovetthog1

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 27, 2009, 01:36:56 pm
I bet pel will feel like a loser if ford gets it instead of him

If 2-15 didnt do that then nothing will.

rude1

Pel should feel fortunate he has a job at all.

Dwight_K_Shrute

In searching the web for stories about this I keep reading things such as Kentucky BBall fans make Alabama football fans look tame, etc and so forth.  But I think this is an unfair characterization.  Yes they were hard on Tubby, but he was there for what 10 years.  If the majority of the fans hated Tubby that much or were that unrealistic in their expectations then he would have been gone long before.  What they saw was a gradual decline from great to good to possibly just average.  Tubby was given more than enough time to try to correct that and he couldn't for whatever reason.

One thing you always hear about Kentucky fans are that they are among the most knowledgable of any group of fans.  Can you really say the same thing about average Alabama football fan?  I don't think so. 

I believe they have become impatient because UK held on to Tubby Smith 2-3 years longer than they should have.  And BCG has done himself no favors.  Although Pel hasn't got us to where we want to be yet, he at least says many of the right things.  I think he knows what this program means to this state and cares about that as well.  He gets it because he lived it.  A little good will can go a long way.  Being a total d!ck does not get you anywhere.

SigHog87

March 27, 2009, 01:50:59 pm #19 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:57:42 pm by WilsonHog
nm

chiefsfan

I dont honestly think Pel cares.  I think he's probably more worried about what to do to keep his own job at the end of next year
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

JustinLewis

Reported by ESPN, 4:30 press conference.
"I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'"

Hog on the Hill

I have a feeling they won't be trying to get Pelphrey...

Oliver

Okay.  Does somebody have...

1.  Some major dirt on Mitch Barnhardt?
2.  A copy of Pel's resume?

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 27, 2009, 02:10:41 pm
Okay.  Does somebody have...

1.  Some major dirt on Mitch Barnhardt?
2.  A copy of Pel's resume?

1.) I'm digging right now.
2.) I'll leave off his 2008-2009 Arkansas record just to be safe.

Oliver

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 27, 2009, 02:14:20 pm
2.) I'll leave off his 2008-2009 Arkansas record just to be safe.

Just add "Extremely young" and "Rebuilding year" bullets underneath it and and it won't be an issue.

mj4president

Is Dennis Felton the front runner for the job?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

broken legs

March 27, 2009, 02:23:22 pm #29 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:25:47 pm by broken legs
Quote from: PorkOpine on March 27, 2009, 02:20:24 pm
Billy Clyde never signed a contract.  Dumb arse.

they had some kind of agreement in principle, i think he still gets his buyout

Kentucky basketball coach Billy Gillispie has a "memorandum of understanding" and not a contract with UK, the agreement would probably hold up in court, along with the $6 million farewell package it promises if Gillispie is fired.

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/740660.html
Quote from: bigpigpimpin on June 06, 2009, 09:48:11 pm
today when Darr got the winning hit me and some buddies went nuts in my living room, and we even dogpiled in the floor. well, I ended up on bottom and my dog, who doesn't like anybody anyways, thought I was being attacked. so the dog rushes and bites my friend from behind right in the sack! he pissed all over himself and another guy whose face was right below his shorts. They get into a fight and end up shattering the front storm door on my house. After this we all just kind of stopped, as the wife was totally pissed. so we went outside and called the hogs. what a day! I just WPS!

Darren DeLoach

a lot of speculation that ford is next, but is it just a bit odd that the day after the memphis tigers are out of the tourney...kentucky fires billy g......just thinking out loud...er...with a keyboard.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

aristotle

I know what happened. Rick Shaeffer must have 'guaranteed' that CBG was staying at Ky.

SpareRib

It occurs to me that if Gillispie never signed his contract, then Kentucky doesn't owe him jack for buy out.  Is that correct?  Who has a handle on this?
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

SRFL

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on March 27, 2009, 02:06:49 pm
I have a feeling they won't be trying to get Pelphrey...

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

moses_007

March 27, 2009, 02:34:12 pm #34 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:36:06 pm by moses_007
I went and checked the records this morning. Eddie Sutton only lasted four years as coach of Kentucky.

Goodness, Gillispie gets fired after a 22-14 record.  I'll bet Pelphrey would have loved to have had that record. 

hogcoots

Wait a minute.  He was at Kentucky only 2 years.  How can they fire a coach after only 2 years?  Don't they know that now they will never attract top talent?  This could be the end of Kentucky basketball as we have known it. (please note sarcasm for those that are sarcastically impaired).

moses_007

March 27, 2009, 02:37:25 pm #36 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:39:56 pm by moses_007
Word out of Lexington is that Billy Donovan will finally accept the head coaching job.  Plane watchers say Donovan is in Lexington as we now speak. 

AnthroHog

Hawgrox

Quote from: mj4president on March 27, 2009, 02:22:08 pm
Is Dennis Felton the front runner for the job?

He's second to Mark Gottfried.

aristotle

Hoggy1

So unethical.....crazy fans all they wanna do is win.

Well, UK isn't a powerhouse program...blah blah blah

Hey Hog fans, this is how it's suppose to be done.  UK made this move to better there program, why can't we do the same.

Yes, when it comes to basketball I believe we should be in the same class and standards with UK, what is so wrong with expecting to win?  Ark and UK are SUPPOSE to be the SEC elite.

This will set back UK basketball for 10 years, right? unethical bastards.

I bet they aren't worried about who can replace BCG, they obviously realized he wasn't going to get it done.  And that's all that matters.

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

ezbhog

Billy Clyde never signed a contract.  Dumb arse.

I do believe that he signed an agreement that pays him 6 million if Kentucky lets him go.

moses_007

I sure wish Long would go for Mike Anderson of Missouri, and right now.  That guy can flat out coach.  Anderson would really return "40 Minutes of Hell" to Walton Arena.

MacHog19

Maybe we could start a rumor on the UK blogs that Bobby Knight is coming out of retirement.  Would that drive Wally Hall crazy or what?

Hoggy1

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 27, 2009, 01:58:29 pm
I dont honestly think Pel cares.  I think he's probably more worried about what to do to keep his own job at the end of next year

You kidding?  Pel is licking his chops right now praying for a phone call from Lexington.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Smokehouse

Quote from: SpareRib on March 27, 2009, 02:33:45 pm
It occurs to me that if Gillispie never signed his contract, then Kentucky doesn't owe him jack for buy out.  Is that correct?  Who has a handle on this?

I'd imagine there's some kind of agreement involved that is going to net BCG the money for getting fired. He and his agent wouldn't have gone ahead and coached for two years without some kind of assurance for this kind of scenario.

I'm going to enjoy watching the coaching search, especially without one of our own going on at the same time, means I can just sit back and enjoy the show. (and bullox to KY if they land their first candidate and stop me from having entertainment.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Never signed a contract? How does that work?

moses_007

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 27, 2009, 02:44:16 pm
You kidding?  Pel is licking his chops right now praying for a phone call from Lexington.

No way would UK hire a coach that just went 2-14 in the SEC.  No way.

donewithdale

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 27, 2009, 02:41:31 pm
So unethical.....crazy fans all they wanna do is win.

Well, UK isn't a powerhouse program...blah blah blah

Hey Hog fans, this is how it's suppose to be done.  UK made this move to better there program, why can't we do the same.

Yes, when it comes to basketball I believe we should be in the same class and standards with UK, what is so wrong with expecting to win?  Ark and UK are SUPPOSE to be the SEC elite.

This will set back UK basketball for 10 years, right? unethical bastards.

I bet they aren't worried about who can replace BCG, they obviously realized he wasn't going to get it done.  And that's all that matters.

UK made the move because BG didn't have a good enough season and he is an [CENSORED] whom they didn't want to be around.  The rest of your post is just nonsense.  This looks like some ridiculous posts that came out around year 9 of the Nutt era.  Its not necessary. 

SRFL

Quote from: moses_007 on March 27, 2009, 02:47:09 pm
No way would UK hire a coach that just went 2-14 in the SEC.  No way.

But we'll keep him.  Makes perfect sense doesn't it?