Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MathHog, May I have Your Attention Here, Please?

Started by WilsonHog, March 26, 2009, 11:17:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 26, 2009, 11:44:08 pm
You guys are entertaining...this is how a board should be no-one taking opinions, insults...etc personally.   By the way my Miami Heat lost again tonight so all of you can go to Hell!!!
Miami Heat?  Is that the show that ran in the 80's with Don Johnson?
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

mathhog

Quote from: chortle on March 26, 2009, 11:55:16 pm

I'm not talking about on the court. I'm talking about in the classroom.

ah, even better.  which player is 'bad in the classroom'?  yes, powell slacked off as a underclassman and has good grades now to average out those bad years.  but apparently everyone on hogville (not you man, just venting :) )  everyone on here knows all about report cards in chancellorsville virginia more than marshawn does....

so who's having "off the court" issues?  which recruit should we slander now?

vandybuff

Sometimes they might be McDonald's at the window, but when you open the bag they are simply another Carl Jr.'s!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

The Boar War

Quote from: mathhog on March 26, 2009, 11:48:04 pm
that's a bridge too far.  i dont have an agenda against mike.  i just want this board, starting at the top, to stop wishing on stars that pel will be fired and mike a will ride in and save the day.

i was in bud walton every game for the height of the "nolan decline" era.  i saw mike's recruiting firsthand.  it ain't pretty.  you and i both know that handcheck-like defense would be called murderously in the sec.  we'd limp along 6-10, 8-8, 10-6, then 8-8 again in the sec for years, and maybe make the second round of the ncaa once every 4 years. 

mike is a great coach and a great motivator, but he's NOT THE RIGHT FIT for arkansas anymore.  much like billyg at kentucky.

that ship has sailed, i wish him well,l and i'm only "antimike" right now because i want this board to get backto HOG ball instead of MIZZOU ball.  it's sad i have seen more discussion of missouri's record than our own

I saw Mike's recruiting too.  It just beat Memphis in the sweet sixteen.  Also in a strange way isn't Mizzou Ball actually Hog Ball.  As far as style goes Mizzou Ball is much more like Hog Ball than anything we've seen in Fayetteville for the past seven years.  This doesn't mean I'll be supporting Missouri over Arkansas or that I'll watch a Mizzou game when the Razorbacks are on.  Its just frustrating. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: akp4105 on March 26, 2009, 11:28:13 pm
TigerinMemphis..Memphis will beat Missouri by double digits. HAHAHAHA Good call. I can't wait to see the excuses.

oh, its kinda hard to talk when you have your mouth full - of CROW. . .
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

chortle

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:00:42 am
ah, even better.  which player is 'bad in the classroom'?  yes, powell slacked off as a underclassman and has good grades now to average out those bad years.  but apparently everyone on hogville (not you man, just venting :) )  everyone on here knows all about report cards in chancellorsville virginia more than marshawn does....

I'm not slandering, I'm simply stating that there has been much discussion about who would make it and who wouldn't.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't personally seen a report card.

Edit: Please note I didn't name any player by name.

The Boar War

Quote from: mathhog on March 26, 2009, 11:57:21 pm
um, that "all american" had massive knee replacement surgery AFTER he was named all american... surely we can't compare 2 seasons of a gimp olu to some blake griffin, or corliss?

yes, we had ronnie.  we also played him at a bizzare position because stan wanted him to play point and daddy brewer said "h$ll no." beacuse ron sr thought ronnie would never make it in the nba if he was a point guard.  

but brewer only came in that second year of stan's.  look at stan's first year.  just awful.  and even with ronnie, we were still 4-12 in the league.

I didn't say Famutimi was all world.  He was in fact All-American and came to the University of Arkansas.

WilsonHog

March 27, 2009, 12:06:28 am #57 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:09:41 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: mathhog on March 26, 2009, 11:34:12 pm
dunno. 

stan had a ring from michigan state in 2000, and a final four with them as well in 1999. 

i DONT LIKE STAN, im just saying.... mike a's  accomplishments are no greater than... gulp... stan heath

Let's compare Anderson and Heath, you ignorant assjockey.

Stan Heath

2002 = 30-6, Elite Eight
2003 = 9-19
2004 = 12-16
2005 = 18-12
2006 = 22-10, First Round
2007 = 21-14, First Round
2008 = 12-19
2009 = 9-22

Mike Anderson

2003 = 21-13, NIT Quarterfinals
2004 = 22-10, NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005 = 22-11, NCAA Second Round
2006 = 24-7,  NCAA First Round
2007 = 18-12
2008 = 16-16
2009 = 31-6, Big XII Tournament Champions, Elite Eight

Idiot.

chortle

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:00:42 am

And one other thing, if memory serves me correctly, we had a pretty damn highly rated recruiting class last year, and we know how that turned out.

mathhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2009, 12:06:28 am

Stan Heath

2002 = 30-6, Elite Eight
2003 = 9-19
2004 = 12-16
2005 = 18-12
2008 = 12-19
2009 = 9-22

Mike Anderson

2007 = 18-12
2008 = 16-16

Idiot.

so....

coach #1 =   1 elite 8,   3 ncaa appearances,  1 ring as an assistant, 3 final fours as an assitant
coach #2 =   1 elite 8,   2 ncaa appearances,  1 ring as an assistant, 3 final fours as an assitant

yeah, IM the idiot..... lol.

look, im not saying stan is better. im just saying that i am ashamed to be a fan of the same program of this rabid pack of fans who think that MIKE ANDERSON is the savior of our program.  he's had some good breaks but he's a terrible recruiter, and he HIMSELF had a hand in the decline of our program.

maybe some of you just started following bball under stan (God love you if you did) and so you dont remember, but mike CONTRIBUTED to the destruction of the program with his lazy recruiting and poor in game coaching when nolan let him be the de facto coach the last three years, setting up mike to be the "head coach designate".

i see no one has challenged the fact that mike a was too lazy to fly to texas to see emeka okafor, who chose UCONN over arkansas because we wouldnt contact him....

btw, have you unbanned tablerocker yet, or is he still a victim of your power streak?>

Hog Pharm

SEC officials would never allow us to play Anderson's style of play.  SEC officiating is awful.

jkstock04

Seems to me Mike Anderson and his Mizzou team doing so well this year has really rubbed some people the wrong way...thats too bad.  I mean what did you expect???? 

Our basketball program is arguably in shambles and a border state team with an ex-razorback coach is having a great season and making a deep run in the NCAA tournament.  Did you expect everybody to sit idley by say only "Hmmmm....well good for him."  LOL...yeah right. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

donewithdale

Quote from: The Boar War on March 27, 2009, 12:02:19 am
I saw Mike's recruiting too.  It just beat Memphis in the sweet sixteen.  Also in a strange way isn't Mizzou Ball actually Hog Ball. 

Wrong. I've dealt with the recruiting error in your thread. 

And Mizzou actually resembles Florida's recent teams because of their offense and their ball movement and multiple guys who can score.  What style is in Pel's background?  Could it be the Pitino/Donovan style of pressing and up tempo play?  Pel's got to get some players here to do it.

mathhog

Quote from: ljean on March 27, 2009, 12:15:15 am
SEC officials would never allow us to play Anderson's style of play.  SEC officiating is awful.

yup. i pointed this out, and oddly, none of the mikelovers noticed that.

the same refs that called that bogus foul on CF at south carolina, oh yeah, they'd just loooooove to let us play slap-and-hack!!!!!!

Pork Twain

I am happy to see Mizzu doing so well.  No hate here...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

donewithdale

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 27, 2009, 12:15:28 am
Seems to me Mike Anderson and his Mizzou team doing so well this year has really rubbed some people the wrong way...thats too bad.  I mean what did you expect???? 

Our basketball program is arguably in shambles and a border state team with an ex-razorback coach is having a great season and making a deep run in the NCAA tournament.  Did you expect everybody to sit idley by say only "Hmmmm....well good for him."  LOL...yeah right.

No, his success has not rubbed some the wrong way.  Hog fans using his success to bash our program has rubbed many the wrong way. 

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 27, 2009, 12:15:28 am

Mike Anderson is a part of a proud time in Arkansas Razorback history, but it's just that, history.  BTW his team is on a helluva run & Mike should be commended for that, but that's where it should end...

High Octane Hog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 11:42:07 pm
math doesn't hate Mike Anderson.  He is being extreme with his opinions and making his points because he sick of our fans whining about Coach A not being the coach at the UA and for our 'fans' using his success to bash our program.  Nolan had to deal with that crap in regards to Eddie. 

Ark fans should be happy for Mike.  I'll repeat again- he is a good guy and a good coach.  But we need to stop the bashing of our own program and move on and give whomever is our coach the respect of not whining and crying and desiring to have Mike back.  To some of us, its sickening and tiresome.  Almost as bad as Hog fans using Memphis to bash ourselves.
I certainly hope that you are not misunderstanding this. The circle of fans that I hang with, myself included, are not by any means bashing our program. We pay our dues, support our University and support who ever is our coach, but just like two political parties who support the President and wish him no ill will, we have our preferences for the direction in which we think we should be going. I am not calling for Pel's head, give him time to right this ship. One more year is enough. If not our circle wants someone else and his name is Anderson. The problem here is Anderson will not be there anymore and given the right Basketball brand, say like a big blue, he will not be coming back. It is like a ship that is sailing, you can get on it, and you know it is never coming back. 

N HOG

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 27, 2009, 12:18:15 am
Mike Anderson is a part of a proud time in Arkansas Razorback history, but it's just that, history.  BTW his team is on a helluva run & Mike should be commended for that, but that's where it should end...

I agree. I think we need to go back to figuring out how to turn that 2-14 into a 4-12 next year. Then we'll all be happy.

YABBBUF

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2009, 12:06:28 am

Stan Heath

2002 = 30-6, Elite Eight
2003 = 9-19
2004 = 12-16
2005 = 18-12
2008 = 12-19
2009 = 9-22

Mike Anderson

2007 = 18-12
2008 = 16-16

Idiot.

I am not sure many people are arguing that we should have hired Mike Anderson over Stan Heath???

I am sure most people here know that Mike Anderson was not an option when his mentor was in the process of getting himself fired, getting his assistants fired, and the BIGGEST issue: getting a great? coach hired!!!

I have very little problems with Nolan, he was in the situation he was in. 

You can not blame anyone posting here for Mike Anderson not getting Hired; Hell;you can't blame anyone left on the hill with Mike Anderson not getting hired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you continue to post sarcastic posts about why we don't have Mike Anderson or a better coach than Pel...

Ban me if you must.  Delete this post if you must.. But you told someone to eat a D*ck, so I am assuming this is OK for now.. 

I hope Pel and his players and new recruits do great next year.  Mike Anderson is not our coach; I hope he has great success, unless he is playing us...
You are welcome Slacker.

donewithdale

Quote from: High Octane Hog on March 27, 2009, 12:19:46 am
I certainly hope that you are not misunderstanding this. The circle of fans that I hang with, myself included, are not by any means bashing our program. We pay our dues, support our University and support who ever is our coach, but just like two political parties who support the President and wish him no ill will, we have our preferences for the direction in which we think we should be going. I am not calling for Pel's head, give him time to right this ship. One more year is enough. If not our circle wants someone else and his name is Anderson. The problem here is Anderson will not be there anymore and given the right Basketball brand, say like a big blue, he will not be coming back. It is like a ship that is sailing, you can get on it, and you know it is never coming back.

My post wasn't just directed to you and I'm certainly in agreement on Pelphrey.

I don't think Mike would be considered for UK unless they have a few to turn them down.   No worry there. 

And the only reason I would like to see Mike back is so we can get closure whether its good or bad.

mathhog

Quote from: N HOG on March 27, 2009, 12:22:09 am
I agree. I think we need to go back to figuring out how to turn that 2-14 into a 4-12 next year. Then we'll all be happy.

ok, in all seriousness, what would mike a have done differently this year with this bunch?  would he have a 12-1 noncon record?  how would he have beaten anyone in the sec?  we DID RUN AND GUN in starkville, for a half.... got a 15 pt lead.... and then we got gassed.  how on earth would mike have a 10 win sec season this year?

Temprees

Quote from: mathhog on March 26, 2009, 11:48:04 pm
that's a bridge too far.  i dont have an agenda against mike.  i just want this board, starting at the top, to stop wishing on stars that pel will be fired and mike a will ride in and save the day.

i was in bud walton every game for the height of the "nolan decline" era.  i saw mike's recruiting firsthand.  it ain't pretty.  you and i both know that handcheck-like defense would be called murderously in the sec.  we'd limp along 6-10, 8-8, 10-6, then 8-8 again in the sec for years, and maybe make the second round of the ncaa once every 4 years. 

mike is a great coach and a great motivator, but he's NOT THE RIGHT FIT for arkansas anymore.  much like billyg at kentucky.

that ship has sailed, i wish him well,l and i'm only "antimike" right now because i want this board to get backto HOG ball instead of MIZZOU ball.  it's sad i have seen more discussion of missouri's record than our own
If you want the board to get back to being a Hog board, then you need to stop making comments like the one in bold above.  Mike's UAB team eliminated KY (the overall #1 Seed) from the NCAA tourney a few years ago.  The next season his UAB team eliminated SEC champion LSU from the NCAA tournament. Mike has had success against SEC teams at UAB.  I am not sure if his Missouri teams I believe that he would win in the SEC, but I sure hope that it doesn't prove this point at our expense (should he gets one of the open SEC jobs). 

Your projection about Mike NCAA record at Arkansas, is your opinion; but it appears that you just pulled it out of thin air.  Mike has taken 4 teams to the NCAA tournament.  The first time  his team went 2-1 (reaching the Sweet 16).  He next team went 1-1 (reaching the 2nd round).  His third team went 0-1 (losing in the first round).  His 4th trip to the NCAAs (this season), he is 3-0 (Elite 8).  That a 6-3 NCAA Tourney record over the last 7 year.  In the 7 years that Mike has been a head coach, 4 of this team went to the NCAA tournament.  He had major rebuilding jobs at both UAB and Missouri. 

I don't believe that we would be limping along at all, if Mike were the coach.  Maybe rolling along would be a better description.

chortle

Quote from: Temprees on March 27, 2009, 12:25:34 am
If you want the board to get back to being a Hog board, then you need to stop making comments like the one in bold above.  Mike's UAB team eliminated KY (the overall #1 Seed) from the NCAA tourney a few years ago.  The next season his UAB team eliminated SEC champion LSU from the NCAA tournament. Mike has had success against SEC teams at UAB.  I am not sure if his Missouri teams I believe that he would win in the SEC, but I sure hope that it doesn't prove this point at our expense (should he gets one of the open SEC jobs). 

Your projection about Mike NCAA record at Arkansas, is your opinion; but it appears that you just pulled it out of thin air.  Mike has taken 4 teams to the NCAA tournament.  The first time  his team went 2-1 (reaching the Sweet 16).  He next team went 1-1 (reaching the 2nd round).  His third team went 0-1 (losing in the first round).  His 4th trip to the NCAAs (this season), he is 3-0 (Elite 8).  That a 6-3 NCAA Tourney record over the last 7 year.  In the 7 years that Mike has been a head coach, 4 of this team went to the NCAA tournament.  He had major rebuilding jobs at both UAB and Missouri. 

I don't believe that we would be limping along at all, if Mike were the coach.  Maybe rolling along would be a better description.

Don't confuse him with facts.

N HOG

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:23:52 am
ok, in all seriousness, what would mike a have done differently this year with this bunch?  would he have a 12-1 noncon record?  how would he have beaten anyone in the sec?  we DID RUN AND GUN in starkville, for a half.... got a 15 pt lead.... and then we got gassed.  how on earth would mike have a 10 win sec season this year?

Have you even watched any Missouri or Arkansas games this year?

Maybe he would have started by getting the team together and said -- "first, let's talk about what a pass is."

mathhog

yes, he beat tubby smith, who has 'fired' basically because he underachieved in the tourney.  it was a great win.  he was an 8 seed.  it rarely happens.

but so beacuse in 1 game they beat a 1 seed, that means he'd have us wining divisions???

dude, when's the last time we won the DIVISION?  1995.

so in all of mike a & nolan's show, in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002...... we couldnt win the west.  a year out of being in the final four, we were toast.

dang right we'd be limping.  they gave up on recruiting and said "good players will come to us".  well they didnt, and we suffered.

what record do you think mike and the flying satchells would have had in 2003 had he stayed on?

donewithdale

Quote from: N HOG on March 27, 2009, 12:27:37 am
Have you even watched any Missouri or Arkansas games this year?

Maybe he would have started by getting the team together and said -- "first, let's talk about what a pass is."

Your boy Fortson tried doing plenty of passing.  Just who exactly were they supposed to throw it to as it wasn't like we had a lot of options?  Mike have some more nephews he could have brought with him?

Temprees

Quote from: N HOG on March 26, 2009, 11:56:53 pm
And your point is......?

I wondered the same thing, because Fortson and Clarke started from day one.  We finished 2-15 in SEC. 

hoglady

Quote from: dougieritch on March 26, 2009, 11:24:15 pm
Memphis = FAIL!

I wish we could figure out how to fail like Memphis.
That would make me very happy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

N HOG

Quote from: donewithdale on March 27, 2009, 12:29:28 am
Your boy Fortson tried doing plenty of passing.  Just who exactly were they supposed to throw it to as it wasn't like we had a lot of options?  Mike have some more nephews he could have brought with him?

Okay, let's try something else:

"Guys, we are going to start practice today by working on a new concept for you -- defense."

Corganist

If you want the board to get back to being a Hog board, then you need to stop making comments like the one in bold above.  Mike's UAB team eliminated KY (the overall #1 Seed) from the NCAA tourney a few years ago.  The next season his UAB team eliminated SEC champion LSU from the NCAA tournament. Mike has had success against SEC teams at UAB. 

But how much success did Anderson's teams have when whistle happy SEC referees were officiating? Sure, in a tournament setting with a competent officiating crew, I'm sure Anderson's style would be quite competitive. In the SEC regular season, however, I'm not sure that style would win enough games to even make it to tournament play. Granted, that's more of a knock on SEC officials than Anderson himself, but it's still a valid concern.

donewithdale

Quote from: N HOG on March 27, 2009, 12:32:46 am

"Guys, we are going to start practice today by working on a new concept for you -- defense."

A little better.  Don't think it would have made a big difference but maybe a couple of more moral victories. 

mathhog

Quote from: N HOG on March 27, 2009, 12:32:46 am

"and remember, 7 of you are under 19 years old, 1 of you already quit the team, another one of you was forced out by the ncaa, and another one of you is shoplifting and has been suspended.  the upperclassmen are either dreaming of the pros or dreaming of hitting assistant coaches.  and i suspend you and keep you out of games but you keep going off and getting dwi's.

but yeah, you'll remember to 'play defense' just cuz i told you to"

N HOG

Quote from: donewithdale on March 27, 2009, 12:34:19 am
A little better.  Don't think it would have made a big difference but maybe a couple of more moral victories. 

So, we have no talent and we have no in-game coaching. But we have HOPE that things are getting better.

I feel much relieved.

Smokehouse

Point of the post didn't have anything to do with MA's coaching ability, but more the complete incompetence of SEC refs. An argument that could be made that MA has a much better threshold for success in places where the refs aren't so whistle happy (Big 12, some NCAAT crews.)

Probably not a reason to really factor into hiring or firing a coach, though. MA could find a way to work around sh*tty refs.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

donewithdale

Quote from: Corganist on March 27, 2009, 12:34:14 am
But how much success did Anderson's teams have when whistle happy SEC referees were officiating? Sure, in a tournament setting with a competent officiating crew, I'm sure Anderson's style would be quite competitive. In the SEC regular season, however, I'm not sure that style would win enough games to even make it to tournament play. Granted, that's more of a knock on SEC officials than Anderson himself, but it's still a valid concern.

I agree on SEC officials as they are weak and it makes it tough on the road.

I don't think this Mizzou team is that physical for Mike's style of defense.  They are thriving more on offense and making the most out of their extra possessions and steals than hacking and physical play.  And the officials are letting them play so far this round in all games.  I thought Purdue was very physical especially in the first half.  Villanova defensively reminds me more of our best teams than Mizzou.

WilsonHog

So, math, here's how I'm gonna roll on this deal.

I'm gonna go through and clean up this thread in a minute, because there is some great stuff in it. Separate the wheat from the chaff, as a favorite judge of mine used to say.

Then you personally probably won't read much in Jump Ball from me for awhile.

But you will definitely know of my presence.

chortle

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:34:59 am
"and remember, 7 of you are under 19 years old, 1 of you already quit the team, another one of you was forced out by the ncaa, and another one of you is shoplifting and has been suspended.  the upperclassmen are either dreaming of the pros or dreaming of hitting assistant coaches.  and i suspend you and keep you out of games but you keep going off and getting dwi's.

Thanks for making my point. Pelphrey has no control over this team, and he is solely responsible for it.

donewithdale

Quote from: N HOG on March 27, 2009, 12:35:39 am
So, we have no talent and we have no in-game coaching. But we have HOPE that things are getting better.

I feel much relieved.

Well we don't have 'no talent'.  Can't believe you would say that about your boy Fortson.  We are certainly lacking at a few positions though.  And I don't think we can judge our in game coaching based on that fact.  You aren't getting HOPE from me. 

Temprees

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:23:52 am
The first thing that Mike would have done was get the players in shape.  Secondly, we would have been a much better defensive team.  We were terrible on defense.  Mike wouldn't have just had the bunch that we had.  He would have gotten more Junior College players so that we wouldn't be so young.  Also, Mike's style is not Run and Gun. 

High Octane Hog

Quote from: mathhog on March 27, 2009, 12:34:59 am

That reminds me. I have read the reference to hitting an assitant a few times, but have been unable to locate what you are talking about. Do you have a link? or etc??

Temprees

Quote from: Corganist on March 27, 2009, 12:34:14 am
It your concern, but its not "valid".   

Temprees

Quote from: Smokehouse on March 27, 2009, 12:37:37 am
Point of the post didn't have anything to do with MA's coaching ability, but more the complete incompetence of SEC refs. An argument that could be made that MA has a much better threshold for success in places where the refs aren't so whistle happy (Big 12, some NCAAT crews.)

Probably not a reason to really factor into hiring or firing a coach, though. MA could find a way to work around sh*tty refs.
What "facts" do you have that support your bare statement that refs in the Big 12 and some NCAAT crews are not whistle happy?

Smokehouse

Quote from: Temprees on March 27, 2009, 12:54:26 am
What "facts" do you have that support your bare statement that refs in the Big 12 and some NCAAT crews are not whistle happy?

uh, watching games? SEC games are consistently called incompetently, and I don't mean that in a "they're all out to get Arkansas!" way, I just mean the refs do a horrible job against all teams. The last minute of the SEC championship game was the epitome of this. I don't keep a statistical analysis of which refs call the most fouls and which of the fouls are bad calls, if that's what you want.

And, again, I don't even think it's that big of a deal. Just pointing out the intent of the original post referenced.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

donewithdale

Quote from: Temprees on March 27, 2009, 12:54:26 am

I don't know about the Big 12 but the tourney has had some physical play that has been allowed especially tonight.  I actually don't think this Mizzou team is that physical. 

passinghog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 27, 2009, 01:07:57 am
I don't know about the Big 12 but the tourney has had some physical play that has been allowed especially tonight.  I actually don't think this Mizzou team is that physical. 

when I asked you earlier about going 2-14 in the SEC to Nolan's first year, I wasn't being sarcastic.
I wanted to know your opinion, comparing that the SWC at that time to the SEC of today.

donewithdale

March 27, 2009, 02:34:09 am #96 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:37:24 am by donewithdale
Quote from: passinghog on March 27, 2009, 02:05:27 am
when I asked you earlier about going 2-14 in the SEC to Nolan's first year, I wasn't being sarcastic.
I wanted to know your opinion, comparing that the SWC at that time to the SEC of today.

I apologize.  The SWC was in transition as Guy Lewis was at his end in Houston with his last tourney appearance the year before Nolan started.  So the SWC's two basketball programs(UA & UH) that were competitive nationally weren't at their peak Nolan's first few seasons.  The athletes of the SWC of that time aren't what we see in the SEC now as far as the big G's and SF's.  Texas wasn't very good as they had Bob Weltlich coaching them.  The SWC wasn't very strong.  TCU was actually one of the better teams and had Jamie Dixon(Pitt's coach) playing for them.  TT wasn't bad.  But basically the SWC was pretty good from the late 70's through about 1986.  The late 80's was a perfect time for us to rebuild especially considering Houston was going into decline and Texas wasn't great. 

The SEC of today is much tougher than the SWC of 1985-88.  But, its all relative as the athletes are bigger and stronger now and the game has changed and recruiting has certainly changed.

Redbug

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 11:42:07 pm
math doesn't hate Mike Anderson.  He is being extreme with his opinions and making his points because he sick of our fans whining about Coach A not being the coach at the UA and for our 'fans' using his success to bash our program.  Nolan had to deal with that crap in regards to Eddie. 

Ark fans should be happy for Mike.  I'll repeat again- he is a good guy and a good coach.  But we need to stop the bashing of our own program and move on and give whomever is our coach the respect of not whining and crying and desiring to have Mike back.  To some of us, its sickening and tiresome.  Almost as bad as Hog fans using Memphis to bash ourselves.

POST OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!

thank you

Redbug

Quote from: donewithdale on March 27, 2009, 02:34:09 am
I apologize.  The SWC was in transition as Guy Lewis was at his end in Houston with his last tourney appearance the year before Nolan started.  So the SWC's two basketball programs(UA & UH) that were competitive nationally weren't at their peak Nolan's first few seasons.  The athletes of the SWC of that time aren't what we see in the SEC now as far as the big G's and SF's.  Texas wasn't very good as they had Bob Weltlich coaching them.  The SWC wasn't very strong.  TCU was actually one of the better teams and had Jamie Dixon(Pitt's coach) playing for them.  TT wasn't bad.  But basically the SWC was pretty good from the late 70's through about 1986.  The late 80's was a perfect time for us to rebuild especially considering Houston was going into decline and Texas wasn't great. 

The SEC of today is much tougher than the SWC of 1985-88.  But, its all relative as the athletes are bigger and stronger now and the game has changed and recruiting has certainly changed.

very good post...right on all points....

Redbug

Quote from: secfan30 on March 26, 2009, 11:41:06 pm
Anderson did build Mizzo back up, something Heath could not do with us and we have a "Richer" Tradition than Mizzo. Heath could not do in 5 years what Anderson did in 3.
Build back up might be a bit premature....They are on a GREAT (1 YEAR) RUN...granted...but their 5 starters scored all but 20 pts....3 are Srs...(carroll a Xfer from Vandy) and the 2 returning for one more season Taylor a Xfer from Delaware (avg 6.7 pts) and Tiller (avg 8.7 pts)...Not exactly a bunch of worldbeaters that has the Big12 shaking in their boots...or anyone else for that matter....so unless Patterson & Meeks Xfer from UK and younger Curry from Liberty...(just kidding).....