Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Anderson leave Mizzou??

Started by mizzouman, March 26, 2009, 03:49:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

I have heard that Anderson wants to stay at Mizzou, however, the state legislature put a cap or a ceiling on state employee's salaries.  Even if Mizzou wanted to pay and can afford to pay more to a coach, they couldn't. 

This goes back to the stadium renovations.  The funds are there but the state really doesn't want the athletic department to spend money on new construction projects while construction projects on campus are being put on hold due to the economy.  Now, the state cannot tell them they can't expand but they can tell them they cannot pay an employee X amount of dollars per year.

MaxMaloney

Quote from: mizzouman on March 26, 2009, 03:49:16 pm
I have heard that Anderson wants to stay at Mizzou, however, the state legislature put a cap or a ceiling on state employee's salaries.  Even if Mizzou wanted to pay and can afford to pay more to a coach, they couldn't. 

This goes back to the stadium renovations.  The funds are there but the state really doesn't want the athletic department to spend money on new construction projects while construction projects on campus are being put on hold due to the economy.  Now, the state cannot tell them they can't expand but they can tell them they cannot pay an employee X amount of dollars per year.

Might depend on whether they can beat Memphis.  If they do, his profile goes way up and teams will be looking to spend whatever it takes to get him.  If not, he'll probably stick with Missouri.

Fort Swine

I would bet Bama comes calling. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

The Hogfather

I think if he gets a decent offer to coach somewhere like Georgia, Alabama, or Virginia, he's gone.  He could get paid more than the state salary.  They just pay it for his coach's show (if he has one), sponsor money, appearances, incentives, etc.

$100,000 salary
$1.2 million for weekly coach's show
$10,000 appearance fee
$100,000 if team makes the NCAAT

Etc.

donewithdale

Can't you create a private foundation that could supplement his income?

Construction projects put money into the economy by paying workers.  And the increased attendance would bring more revenue to Columbia and more tax revenue. 

I think he would leave but not to a Bama or UGa.  He should be past those level of programs now at this point in his career.  Mizzou has good tradition and facilities and a nice recruiting base.  Money should be the only thing to make him consider leaving unless he somehow ends up on the lists at Arizona or Kentucky.  He would have to listen then.  I'm going to leave out the obvious one as we have beaten that one to death and it would derail your thread. 

weresoclose

Yes.  Eventually, and probably sooner than later.

But as far as paying a coach, the extra money wouldn't come from salary, it would come from creative ways of structuring bonuses, etc., via foundation.  Doesn't have to come from tax money. 

donewithdale

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 03:55:04 pm
I think if he gets a decent offer to coach somewhere like Georgia, Alabama, or Virginia, he's gone.  He could get paid more than the state salary.  They just pay it for his coach's show (if he has one), sponsor money, appearances, incentives, etc.

$100,000 salary
$1.2 million for weekly coach's show
$10,000 appearance fee
$100,000 if team makes the NCAAT

Etc.

UVa operates like a private university as far as academics.  Don't know that Mike would want to recruit to there.  Not a great job.

WilsonHog

There is one school to the southwest of Columbia that Mike would have gone to as soon as Mizzou was eliminated from or won the NCAA Tourney.

Alas, there is no opening at said school.

Pity.

Hoggy1

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 04:00:18 pm
There is one school to the southwest of Columbia that Mike would have gone to as soon as Mizzou was eliminated from or won the NCAA Tourney.

Pity.

That hurts.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Oliver

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 26, 2009, 04:01:29 pm
That hurts.

It'll hurt twice as bad if Mike Anderson ends up going to some place like Alabama because he doesn't want to wait for this job to open.

hawgsav1

I hope Mike comes back.  I've wanted him since 2002.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

snoblind

What might have been... I know JFB gets the lion's share of the blame, but I prefer to point the finger at JW for not making or allowing it to happen.  Yes, it's the middle finger.  ;)

kingofdequeen

yet

lovetthog1

Pity.

Wilson you have got to stop teasing me .

WilsonHog

UAalumUALRlaw

I hope Mike stays at Missouri, he's got a good thing going there in a division where there's only one power-house basketball school and it happens to be Missouri's biggest rival. It's a good situation for him.

As for the cap on salaries, it doesn't matter.  There's plenty of private money, if fact, if I'm not mistaken a lot of Petrino and Pel's salaries are paid from private sources such as the Razorback foundation.

I hope Mike eventually ends up in Fayetteville.

heathtits

Oh the kharmic forgiveness that would ensue for our program if we hired Mike.

The dharma would have the most compassionate effect upon our wins and loss column me thinks.

Sadly as Wilson has said, the only source I have says Pel is solidly staying at least another term.

mathhog

Pity.

there's an opening at missouri state in springfield? 
or do you mean tulsa?

just kidding... just sticking to the true definition of what is southwest of columbia.... ;)

Boarcephus

Quote from: Fort Swine on March 26, 2009, 03:53:49 pm
I would bet Bama comes calling. 

In the paper today it says Anthony Grant of VCU and his wife spent Wednesday in tuscaloosa for interviews and a tour of the campus.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 26, 2009, 06:01:01 pm
In the paper today it says Anthony Grant of VCU and his wife spent Wednesday in tuscaloosa for interviews and a tour of the campus.
We should have gotten him when we had the chance.

3kgthog

Mizzou is a better program than Alabama. Mizzou also plays in what is obviously a better conference. To leave for Bama would be a bonehead move of epic proportions, no matter how much money they throw at him.

ChicoHog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on March 26, 2009, 06:04:21 pm
We should have gotten him when we had the chance.
I don't get why so many people love this guy?  He has won decently at VCU with Capel's players.  Big deal!   Bama and that level should be able to get a more proven guy just like we should have after Heath was gone.  I want to see a guy win for 5 years at the same school before i jump on his bandwagon.  Look at heath and his one year wonder at Kent st. 
I'm not a big Anderson fan either but at least he has been around the block a little. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 26, 2009, 06:04:43 pm
Mizzou is a better program than Alabama. Mizzou also plays in what is obviously a better conference. To leave for Bama would be a bonehead move of epic proportions, no matter how much money they throw at him.

Perhaps but Birmingham is home for him.  I could see him going to Alabama.  Alabama could easily be one of the schools for a fiery, up and coming coach to make a name for himself just as Nolan did here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BigoBoys

Nolan will continue to have some influence on him.  He beat Kansas this year and believe it or not there is bigger money in Columbia than in Tuscaloosa. 

jkcrunch

Bama is a football school, Mizzou is a better job.  Also Mike is from Birmingham but does not have a close ties to Bama per se.  Went to college at Tulsa and learned his craft at UA, sharpened at UAB(Bama fan has no respect for UAB).  I think Mike stays where he is unless he beats Memphis and UK comes calling

BigoBoys

Quote from: jkcrunch on March 26, 2009, 08:25:05 pm
Bama is a football school, Mizzou is a better job.  Also Mike is from Birmingham but does not have a close ties to Bama per se.  Went to college at Tulsa and learned his craft at UA, sharpened at UAB(Bama fan has no respect for UAB).  I think Mike stays where he is unless he beats Memphis and UK comes calling
More money in Columbia than Lexington. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: BigoBoys on March 26, 2009, 08:11:17 pm
Nolan will continue to have some influence on him.  He beat Kansas this year and believe it or not there is bigger money in Columbia than in Tuscaloosa. 

How do you figure?

BigoBoys

March 26, 2009, 08:48:47 pm #27 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:51:11 pm by BigoBoys
Quote from: Boarcephus on March 26, 2009, 08:44:46 pm
How do you figure?
Sam Walton's Nieces live there, or Bud Walton's daughters, or the owners of at least two professional sports teams, or the family that paid the money to build the current arena in Columbia.  Take your pick, if they want him he will stay there. 

Boarcephus

the family you're referring to who built the arena married into the Walton money, so they're basically one and the same.  You're also assuming they'll step in so I'm still not sure I'm buying the fact there is more $$ in Columbia than bama.

BigoBoys

March 26, 2009, 09:09:37 pm #29 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:11:57 pm by BigoBoys
Quote from: Boarcephus on March 26, 2009, 09:01:09 pm
the family you're referring to who built the arena married into the Walton money, so they're basically one and the same.  You're also assuming they'll step in so I'm still not sure I'm buying the fact there is more $$ in Columbia than bama.
I am not assuming anything.  If you notice my comment says "if" they want him he will stay.  Interestingly enough one of Bud's Son-in-Laws played for Memphis.  The Walton Family has a lot of money. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: BigoBoys on March 26, 2009, 09:09:37 pm
I am not assuming anything.  If you notice my comment says "if" they want him he will stay.  Interestingly enough one of Bud's Son-in-Laws played for Memphis.  The Walton Family has a lot of money. 

That would be Bill Laurie, I believe. He started as a guard on the Tiger team that lost to UCLA the night Bill Walton went for 44 points in the National Title game. 

BigoBoys

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 09:15:08 pm
That would be Bill Laurie, I believe. He started as a guard on the Tiger team that lost to UCLA the night Bill Walton went for 44 points in the National Title game. 
Yep that's him. 

Hog Pharm

Pity.

I would have to disagree wholeheartedly.  After we passed him up the first go around you actually think he would come back after he has had success elsewhere.  No way no how.

kingofdequeen

I don't see Alabama putting themselves on the line with anyone w/ Razorback Ties.

spare me the Bear Bryant crap, too. 

'Bama thinks way too much of themselves/too little of us.

upperdeck_hawg

if i was mizzou, i'd be really worried about big blue coming after anderson
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

mizzouman

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 03:55:06 pm
Can't you create a private foundation that could supplement his income?

Construction projects put money into the economy by paying workers.  And the increased attendance would bring more revenue to Columbia and more tax revenue. 

I think he would leave but not to a Bama or UGa.  He should be past those level of programs now at this point in his career.  Mizzou has good tradition and facilities and a nice recruiting base.  Money should be the only thing to make him consider leaving unless he somehow ends up on the lists at Arizona or Kentucky.  He would have to listen then.  I'm going to leave out the obvious one as we have beaten that one to death and it would derail your thread. 

The money is there, that's not the problem.  The problem is the salary restrictions put on the University of Missouri system.

The Boar War

Quote from: mizzouman on March 26, 2009, 09:58:02 pm
The money is there, that's not the problem.  The problem is the salary restrictions put on the University of Missouri system.

I'm not following you.  If it's a private foundation supplemented with private funds what can the Missourri legislature say about it?  The coach stays at the limit but is supplemented with private funds through the foundation.

mizzouman

Quote from: The Boar War on March 26, 2009, 10:04:36 pm
I'm not following you.  If it's a private foundation supplemented with private funds what can the Missourri legislature say about it?  The coach stays at the limit but is supplemented with private funds through the foundation.

I'm not 100% sure how that works, but I know that salaries for state employees have been capped which includes any Professors, coaches, AD's, etc. 

Mizzou's equivalent of the Razorback Foundation is the Tiger Scholarship Fund but it's run by the University's Athletic Department. 

Anyway, I was told that this cap may be an issue.  Now, I don't know how much that cap is or if we can do anything to circumvent that, but I know it's an issue.  Hopefully not a big one though.

The Boar War

Quote from: mizzouman on March 27, 2009, 12:51:00 am
I'm not 100% sure how that works, but I know that salaries for state employees have been capped which includes any Professors, coaches, AD's, etc. 

Mizzou's equivalent of the Razorback Foundation is the Tiger Scholarship Fund but it's run by the University's Athletic Department. 

Anyway, I was told that this cap may be an issue.  Now, I don't know how much that cap is or if we can do anything to circumvent that, but I know it's an issue.  Hopefully not a big one though.

Oh well.  I'm sure the whole thing is ensconced in bureaucratic red tape.  BTW good win tonight.