Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look for an Announcement on Billy Gillispie Tomorrow

Started by WilsonHog, March 26, 2009, 03:47:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 26, 2009, 09:01:11 pm
Saying if we fired Pel, that would be 3 in 3 years, counting Nutt and Heath. Like it or not, the National media disagreed with both of those firings, and would be the same or worse with Pel. Not to mention how other Coaches would view our program.

John Pelphrey is not going anywhere unless it's his decision to leave. Jeff long
recently gave him a solid vote of confidence. He will not be fired or forced out.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 26, 2009, 09:15:47 pm
John Pelphrey is not going anywhere unless it's his decision to leave. Jeff long
recently gave him a solid vote of confidence. He will not be fired or forced out.

Where were you this time last week, Captain Obvious?

Hog Pharm

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 26, 2009, 08:44:16 pm
Let's see.Stan was here 5 full years. and Nutt was here 10 full years.both with bad results. going down the same road will keep getting you beat.

Who do you suggest we get then?

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 09:09:48 pm
Piss on the national media. They're not paying my Foundation dues every year.

Do you say piss on our reputation? My feeling is that Coaches would have much of the same view as the media. I would prefer not to be the laughing stock of every National sports talk show for the next year.

Firing Pel was not a logical decision after 2 years and was never an option. Thank goodness we have an AD that understands the obvious.

More of the same next year, and we have a legit case to make a move.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 26, 2009, 09:35:27 pm
Do you say piss on our reputation? My feeling is that Coaches would have much of the same view as the media. I would prefer not to be the laughing stock of every National sports talk show for the next year.

Firing Pel was not a logical decision after 2 years and was never an option. Thank goodness we have an AD that understands the obvious.

More of the same next year, and we have a legit case to make a move.

Turn on CBS right now and you will see the coach who we would have had very shortly, had we made a move.

He's the one coaching the team that's won 30 games and is up by about 20 on the #2 seed right now.

Hot_Town_Hog

Have watched almost every game of this tourney. Mizzou looks very good. If what you say was truly possible, then someone had a tough decision.

If we had Mike signed up, that would be the one scenario where I could see a move being the right choice and one I would support for sure.

That would be MUCH different than just firing Pel and asking for resumes.

High Octane Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 10:17:35 pm
Turn on CBS right now and you will see the coach who we would have had very shortly, had we made a move.

He's the one coaching the team that's won 30 games and is up by about 20 on the #2 seed right now.

Wilson, man, I am seriously crying uncontrollably right now and feel like I am going to puke. Please, someone, anyone, tell me it is going to be ok and the past few years is just some sort of weird, demented dream.

Lanny

Quote from: High Octane Hog on March 26, 2009, 10:51:13 pm
Wilson, man, I am seriously crying uncontrollably right now and feel like I am going to puke. Please, someone, anyone, tell me it is going to be ok and the past few years is just some sort of weird, demented dream.

No dream but hey Arkansas could be stuck with Dana Altman
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Matt Burks

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 10:17:35 pm

Just another good/great coach that Broyles refused to hire. For as much good that Broyles did, he did as much bad. Just imagine how good we could have been if he let Anderson take over Nolan's teams and if he would have kept Holtz happy and later hired Jimmy Johnson. Oh the what ifs...

hogsanity

Quote from: Matt Burks on March 27, 2009, 07:37:58 am
Just another good/great coach that Broyles refused to hire. For as much good that Broyles did, he did as much bad. Just imagine how good we could have been if he let Anderson take over Nolan's teams and if he would have kept Holtz happy and later hired Jimmy Johnson. Oh the what ifs...

There was absolutely no way, with the way the Nolan thing went down, that Anderson would or could be hired at Arkansas to replace Nolan. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Holy City Hog

Hasn't Donovan turned down the UK job before? Plus he backed out of Magic deal that would've paid big $. Seems happy where he is. Not sure what's changed?  Maybe he's tired of sharing the campus spotlight with Urban?

Jay Wright's next move is likely the NBA, he's said publically the pro game interests him & he's constantly named as a possible target of the 76'ers. An unsuccessful stint at UK would kill that dream.

What about Travis Ford to replace BG?  Enough to make UK fans happy . . . for now at least?

aristotle

Quote from: weresoclose on March 26, 2009, 03:51:57 pm
If they're worried about Clyde's buyout, I know a coach they can get on the cheap. 

Don't think there is a buyout, is there? I pretty sure CBG never signed a contract which is now contributing to his early demise, one would think.

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2009, 08:46:42 am
There was absolutely no way, with the way the Nolan thing went down, that Anderson would or could be hired at Arkansas to replace Nolan. 
Not that this board existed when Nolan was fired (I don't think), but if it did there would have been a meltdown if Anderson was hired. I don't know a person that wanted Nolan retained, and Anderson got tossed out with the bathwater.

hogsanity

Quote from: Karma on March 27, 2009, 09:26:43 am
Not that this board existed when Nolan was fired (I don't think), but if it did there would have been a meltdown if Anderson was hired. I don't know a person that wanted Nolan retained, and Anderson got tossed out with the bathwater.

The meltodwn would have been over hiring an assistant with no HC experience.  We SHOULD have been able to get an established coach, and I think we would have if not for John White and his committee.  I think, had JFB been allowed to do what he had done in the past, which was go out on his own and get the best guy he could, I think we would have had Bill Self. 

The last coach hire that JFB had total autonomy on was Dave Van horn, and I think that has worked out pretty well. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2009, 08:46:42 am
I keep seeing this posted. But why couldn't it have worked? Fact is, Nolan might have quietly accepted a fair buyout if he knew it was going to let Mike get his chance to run the program. Let's face it, the arrogance and GOBN has destroyed this basketball program to the point I now have doubts if it will ever recover.

Hoggy1

UK fans miss 1 tourney in 17 years and all HELLLLLLLL breaks loose.

We have consistently been worse than mediocre the last 10 years, coming off the worst season in Hog history....and some of our fans think everything is just fine and although Pel has done NOTHING to deserve a 3rd year, it's just ethical to let him stay.

I say horse sh*t.

Arkansas and Kentucky should be the SEC elite year in, year out.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Wild Bill Hog

If left up to JFB, Bill Self would have been the coach after Nolan.  Blame John White and his committee for hiring Heath (and Nutt as well).  No one taking over "Nolan's teams" would have had anything to work with.  They would have had guys like Blake Eddings who was going to walk on at Aubie until Arkansas offered him a scholarship.  NR (with MA handling recruiting) had run the program into the dirt.

As for Holtz, the guy had us at a consistently mediocre level by the time he was fired.  That was consistently mediocre in a rapidly decaying SWC.  By the way, as bad as the SWC was, Holtz was never able to win it.

RedSatinHog

And both schools that Jimmy Johnson coached at wound up on NCAA probation after he left.

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 27, 2009, 10:36:32 am
If left up to JFB, Bill Self would have been the coach after Nolan.  Blame John White and his committee for hiring Heath (and Nutt as well).  No one taking over "Nolan's teams" would have had anything to work with.  They would have had guys like Blake Eddings who was going to walk on at Aubie until Arkansas offered him a scholarship.  NR (with MA handling recruiting) had run the program into the dirt.

As for Holtz, the guy had us at a consistently mediocre level by the time he was fired.  That was consistently mediocre in a rapidly decaying SWC.  By the way, as bad as the SWC was, Holtz was never able to win it.

For the most part, the SWC had some solid teams when Holtz was our coach.  It was not his fault that every school in the SWC was spinning itself into probation over recruiting violations at the time. 
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Beaverfever

djgaffer

This will be popular...  oh, well.

We're not Kentucky.  Our job is not perceived like Kentucky's job.  Just looking at our history...

We once had a coach that took us to the final four.  He left for another job, saying he would "crawl on his hands and knees to"..... dramatic pause.... Kentucky.

More recently, we had a job open.  Whoever took our job would be inheriting a senior-laden team that just went to the NCAA tournament.  Expecting a "big name coach" to run here with that squad returning and our prestige, we hired our 15th choice Dana Altman, who also said thanks but no thanks.  He would rather stay at Creighton.  Along the way we had great interest in Billy Gillespe.  Insiders on the board indicated he was on the way, but when the UK job opened, he would have much rather been at....... Kentucky.

If our job was passed over by everyone when we were coming off of an NCAA season with many retuners, who is going to line up to take the gig coming off of 2-14 and as many suspensions as wins?  You could make the argument that anything may be better than Pelphrey... okay.  Maybe.

If we fire Pelphrey... assume that unless we hire someone that satisfies the recruits and current players, there will be attrition.  Picture Washington definitely gone... Marshawn Powell goes elsewhere.  Rotnei Clarke might go.  No inside info, just possibilities.

You saddle a new coach with no recruiting help coming in and attrition from a team that was just 2-14.  We basically just gave ourself the death penalty.  You're starting over... for the 3rd time in 7 years.  Mediocrity might soon be a goal we strive to achieve.

You can't just "fire first and ask questions later".  Anyone new is not always something better.  You have to plan for all consequences and the total program.  UK is getting close, but I do think their prestige will allow them to get one more good hire.  After that, Dana Altman might say no to them, too.

1HourToHogville

Egos and Pride of both Richardson & Broyles made it impossible for Mike Anderson to become the coach at Arkansas.  Broyles wanted nothing to do with anybody connected to Richardson and Nolan decided to burn the house down rather than keeping quiet and moving out of the way to give Anderson a shot at becoming the Head Coach.

It worked out great for Anderson and he was able to succeed outside of Richardsons shadow.  It would have been more difficult for him if he had been at Arkansas simply because the first time he struggled (i.e.  not made the NCAA tourn) many fans would have cried for a change just as they are now.

Richardson has stated we have a good coach and we just need to give him the chance to mold his program and recruit players.

Let's forget the past and support who we have.