Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look for an Announcement on Billy Gillispie Tomorrow

Started by WilsonHog, March 26, 2009, 03:47:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Some things just aren't meant to be.

Kudos to Kentucky for having the cahones to pull the trigger when it was obvious things weren't going to work out to the school's satisfaction.

Hoggy1

But it's absurd...this will set UK back for 10 years, they are not the program they believe they are.

Hell UK doesn't even have a NC since the 90's.

Crazy, ignorant fan base.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

The Hogfather

I'm anxiously waiting to see who their next coach will be.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on March 26, 2009, 03:48:49 pm
But it's absurd...this will set UK back for 10 years, they are not the program they believe they are.

We'll see who they get.  I know a lot of people think this will change everything for them.  I'm not sure it will.

The Hogfather

Unless they get Donovan or Calipari.  If they do that, it is for sure worth it to get rid of Gillispie.  Hope it works out for them.  I really want Kentucky/Arkansas to get back to the good ole days, when we first came in the league.

weresoclose

If they're worried about Clyde's buyout, I know a coach they can get on the cheap. 

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 03:50:10 pm
We'll see who they get.  I know a lot of people think this will change everything for them.  I'm not sure it will.

It might not change anything.  Most people including myself thought that BCG was going to do a fine job of taking their program back to where it belonged.  It didn't work out.  Their new coach, whomever he may be, might fall flat on his face as well.  It's all part of the risk of hiring a new coach.  One thing is for certain though, what they had was a sinking ship and like Wilson said...they knew when to bail.

Fort Swine

That will be a 6 mil. firing.  1.5 for 4 years left on his contract for buyout.  Ouch.  Here comes Texas Tech.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Oliver

Hoggy1

Quote from: weresoclose on March 26, 2009, 03:51:57 pm
If they're worried about Clyde's buyout, I know a coach they can get on the cheap. 

And I believe he knows UK hoops as good as anyone.

WilsonHog

March 26, 2009, 03:54:34 pm #10 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:56:13 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 03:52:25 pm
It might not change anything.  Most people including myself thought that BCG was going to do a fine job of taking their program back to where it belonged.  It didn't work out.  Their new coach, whomever he may be, might fall flat on his face as well.  It's all part of the risk of hiring a new coach.  One thing is for certain though, what they had was a sinking ship and like Wilson said...they knew when to bail.

I still think Gillispie is an outstanding basketball coach. I'm sure others do, too.

Sometimes the fit is just not right. As good as Billy Clyde is, he just wasn't the right coach for that program.

Fort Swine

Tubby is just kicked back enjoying it all in Minnesota. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 03:54:34 pm
I still think Gillispie is an outstanding basketball coach. I'm sure others do, too.

Sometimes the fit is just not right. As good as Billy Clyde is, he just wasn't the right coach for that program.

I certainly don't think what he did at Texas A&M was a fluke either.

donewithdale

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 03:47:19 pm

Kudos to Kentucky for having the cahones to pull the trigger when it was obvious things weren't going to work out to the school's satisfaction.

I LOVE A GOOD FIRING!

Clint Dempsey

Quote from: Fort Swine on March 26, 2009, 03:55:12 pm
Tubby is just kicked back enjoying it all in Minnesota. 

Word has it that he's not too happy there with his contract. If another school comes calling, potentially Arizona if they can't get their top choice, he's probably gone.

Table Rocker

If bcg wasn't a drunk-driving a-hole he'd still be the coach there.

Maybe u pel haters can root for pel to become that sort of fella, put the final nail in his coffin.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 26, 2009, 04:26:50 pm
If bcg wasn't a drunk-driving a-hole he'd still be the coach there.

Maybe u pel haters can root for pel to become that sort of fella, put the final nail in his coffin.

deal?

Table Rocker

Deal? Yeah let's put a drunk driver out on the road, as long as it gets him fired its worth the risk.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Clint Dempsey on March 26, 2009, 04:17:28 pm
Word has it that he's not too happy there with his contract. If another school comes calling, potentially Arizona if they can't get their top choice, he's probably gone.

How can he not be happy with his contract?  From my understanding, he was paid almost 3 million a year there.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Granny fan

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 03:49:08 pm
I'm anxiously waiting to see who their next coach will be.

FWIW I think it will be Calipari (sp.??)

WilsonHog

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 26, 2009, 04:32:28 pm
Deal? Yeah let's put a drunk driver out on the road, as long as it gets him fired its worth the risk.

Hey, now, you're the one making the rules up in this hypothetical. No one ever said he ought to go run over anybody. 

lovetthog1

Firing a coach after two years omg  !!!!!!!!! Whats the world gonna think ?

WilsonHog

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 26, 2009, 05:07:22 pm

Those sonsabitches.

McKdaddy

If I were Barnhart I'd talk to  1) Cal  2) Jay wright (which I said UK should have hired 2 years ago)  3) Barnes
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Oliver

I'll never watch a Kentucky basketball game again.  I mean...they aren't even giving him that all important 3rd year!

hawgsav1

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 26, 2009, 05:17:36 pm
If I were Barnhart I'd talk to  1) Cal  2) Jay wright (which I said UK should have hired 2 years ago)  3) Barnes

Everyone is throwing Calipari's name out there.  I don't see him jumping at all.  It's not like the Roy Williams' situation where Williams was born and bred to be a Carolina coach.  Calipari has nothing to gain by going to Kentucky.  He's taken a crap program and taken them to the top (his ethics notwithstanding).

That being said, Jay Wright would be a great one.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

UAalumUALRlaw

I assume you're being sarcastic.

WilsonHog

Quote from: UAalumUALRlaw on March 26, 2009, 05:33:25 pm
I assume you're being sarcastic.

He is.

He's just parroting the party line read so often around here.

I don't know who in the hell Kentucky thinks it is to pull off a move like this. Next think you know they'll expect to make a Sweet Sixteen or something.

Uppity bastards.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 03:52:25 pm

Sinking ship?  Care to explain? 

The Hogfather

I think Jay Wright would be a great fit as well, if he would leave Villanova.

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 06:40:34 pm
Sinking ship?  Care to explain? 
That's an easy one. After 17 straight years of NCAA appearances they didn't make it this year, and weren't even close. That is regressing from the last season. Rumors of perhaps the best two players on the  team going pro, means that perhaps next season is even worse. This at a program that prides itself in being one of the most storied programs in college basketball. Doesn't much sound like a ship that's catching its sail to me. Sounds more like one that is taking on water.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on March 26, 2009, 06:46:01 pm
That's an easy one. After 17 straight years of NCAA appearances they didn't make it this year, and weren't even close. That is regressing from the last season. Rumors of perhaps the best two players on the  team going pro, means that perhaps next season is even worse. This at a program that prides itself in being one of the most storied programs in college basketball. Doesn't much sound like a ship that's catching its sail to me. Sounds more like one that is taking on water.

Obviously, I knew all that.  They have a 5-star C and a 4-star SG to help ease the pain, if they were to lose Patterson and/or Meeks.

d-hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 05:37:15 pm
He is.

He's just parroting the party line read so often around here.

I don't know who in the hell Kentucky thinks it is to pull off a move like this. Next think you know they'll expect to make a Sweet Sixteen or something.

Uppity bastards.

I see the correlation to 2 years of coaching and also on lack of results on the court at a College with great expectations...but I don't see the correlation to personal behavior of the two coaches.  Maybe it's just me, but I thought BCG's actions and reputation was enough to get himself fired.  I think it is unfair to judge the same two situations in that regard.  Heck I'd even argue that depth of the two teams shouldn't even be compared thus eliminating some portion of the lack of results argument.

In short I think this is not completely apples to apples in comparison.  So some arguments in support of keeping Pel made on the board shouldn't be dismissed because of UK's action in the matter.  Not letting Pel off the hook for his responsibilities as Coach but he hasn't been reported doing the things that BCG has been reported doing with his personal time.

arkansasmaniac

Was this sarcasm, as this seems as the same boat we're in?

chiefsfan

as of right now no Kentucky message board is reporting this as official, and Gillespie himself has denied the reports on the radio this afternoon and that he was out recruiting

I dont get where you think this is coming from.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

rude1

Maybe this wasn't a good time after all to have a coaching change if this happens. If history has taught us anything it should have taught us that we don't want to be looking for a coach at the same time that KY is looking for a coach, because all action stops till they make a choice. Last time we both were looking, they ended up with the guy we thought we were going to get, and we ended up after being rejected multiple times thereafter with John Pelphrey.

Let's hope that if KY is going to do it, they do it this year as apposed to next year. When we ourselves might be back in the coaching market looking around. I do not need to see a repeat of the last coaching search.

Hawg Balling

I'm quite sure that Tubby Smith and Texas A&M are both laughing their arses off.  Gillispie played several school to get more money from A&M, then left A&M high and dry for Kentucky. 

arkansasmaniac

Quote from: Hawg Balling on March 26, 2009, 06:57:00 pm
I'm quite sure that Tubby Smith and Texas A&M are both laughing their arses off.  Gillispie played several school to get more money from A&M, then left A&M high and dry for Kentucky. 

Not trying to defend the guy...but WHO WOULDN'T DO THAT?!?!

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Granny fan on March 26, 2009, 04:56:32 pm

FWIW I think it will be Calipari (sp.??)

No way.  Calipari would have to be nuts to leave Memphis.  Playing in Conference USA and being a perenial final four contender each year.  What's not to like?

forrest city joe

You dont fire a coach after 2 years. Ky will not get a top coach.REMEMBER?

chiefsfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 26, 2009, 08:07:11 pm
You dont fire a coach after 2 years. Ky will not get a top coach.REMEMBER?

and they just might not...who knows
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hot_Town_Hog

Pel would be the 3rd in 3 years for the Razorbacks. Little different situation than what KY is facing.

ses

Don't be surprised if they name Billy Donovan head coach next Monday.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 26, 2009, 08:35:59 pm
Pel would be the 3rd in 3 years for the Razorbacks. Little different situation than what KY is facing.
Let's see.Stan was here 5 full years. and Nutt was here 10 full years.both with bad results. going down the same road will keep getting you beat.

sadhog

Tubby>Gillespie>unknown
Heath>Pelphrey>unknown   

Both would be over the same time frame.  ???

Seems the same to me....just saying.

rude1

HUH? This is their 3rd in three years too or maybe I am not understanding what you are counting.

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: rude1 on March 26, 2009, 08:47:15 pm
HUH? This is their 3rd in three years too or maybe I am not understanding what you are counting.

Saying if we fired Pel, that would be 3 in 3 years, counting Nutt and Heath. Like it or not, the National media disagreed with both of those firings, and would be the same or worse with Pel. Not to mention how other Coaches would view our program.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 26, 2009, 09:01:11 pm
Saying if we fired Pel, that would be 3 in 3 years, counting Nutt and Heath. Like it or not, the National media disagreed with both of those firings, and would be the same or worse with Pel. Not to mention how other Coaches would view our program.

Piss on the national media. They're not paying my Foundation dues every year.

WilsonHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 26, 2009, 06:52:40 pm
I dont get where you think this is coming from.

It is coming from the people in Kentucky who my source is talking to.