Conn:  34%
Syr:    32%
Vill:     29%
Duke:  43%
Mizz:   33%
Pur:    41%

Memphis:  15%

Just for reference.

That is a pointless stat because they are once again in the Sweet 16 and probably will be in their 4th straight Elite 8....

Just for reference.  Last year they played and Oklahoma, Uconn, USC, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Tennessee.  They only lost to Tennessee and then in the NCAA tourney they beat MSU, Texas, Michigan State (up by 30 at half), UCLA, and lost to Kansas in the NC game.  I will take a 30 win season against a "high school conference" and then do that in the post-season any year.  Regardless, next season they are at least trying to schedule, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville off the top of my head and will play I believe, Tenn, Gonzaga, and Syracuse.
Say what you want but i think they would gladly join a major conference and it is very impressive what he has done at Memphis.  As far as 40 or 50 coaches who could do what he is doing, there are hundreds of mid majors and Cal is only one who is dominating college basketball so I just do not buy that.
This year the schedule was down but last year and next year there  are not to many teams that play a schedule that tough.   

The Hogfather

Quote from: Brass Knob on March 26, 2009, 11:44:44 am
That is a pointless stat because they are once again in the Sweet 16 and probably will be in their 4th straight Elite 8....

Just for reference.  Last year they played and Oklahoma, Uconn, USC, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Tennessee.  They only lost to Tennessee and then in the NCAA tourney they beat MSU, Texas, Michigan State (up by 30 at half), UCLA, and lost to Kansas in the NC game.  I will take a 30 win season against a "high school conference" and then do that in the post-season any year.  Regardless, next season they are at least trying to schedule, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville off the top of my head and will play I believe, Tenn, Gonzaga, and Syracuse.
Say what you want but i think they would gladly join a major conference and it is very impressive what he has done at Memphis.  As far as 40 or 50 coaches who could do what he is doing, there are hundreds of mid majors and Cal is only one who is dominating college basketball so I just do not buy that.
This year the schedule was down but last year and next year there  are not to many teams that play a schedule that tough.  

They get an inflated seed because they dominate their conference and have 28-30 wins before get seeded for the NCAAT.  As someone pointed out before, so far they've only had to beat a 15-seed (that they struggled with) and a 10-seed (that they beat fairly easily) to get to the Sweet 16.  If they played in a real conference, they'd likely have 4-5 more losses over the course of the season, and would likely be a 5-6 seed.  That would mean they'd play, if they were a 6-seed, an 11-seed, then a likely a 3-seed.  Or, if they were a 5-seed, they'd play a 12-seed, then likely a 4 seed.

A much tougher road would be in store.

Again, I'm not saying that they aren't a really good team.  They are.  But, to act like he is accomplishing amazing feats by winning 30 a year with their schedule and getting to the Sweet 16 however many times they have in a row, is not right.

Brass Knob

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 11:53:07 am
They get an inflated seed because they dominate their conference and have 28-30 wins before get seeded for the NCAAT.  As someone pointed out before, so far they've only had to beat a 15-seed (that they struggled with) and a 10-seed (that they beat fairly easily) to get to the Sweet 16.  If they played in a real conference, they'd likely have 4-5 more losses over the course of the season, and would likely be a 5-6 seed.  That would mean they'd play, if they were a 6-seed, an 11-seed, then a likely a 3-seed.  Or, if they were a 5-seed, they'd play a 12-seed, then likely a 4 seed.

A much tougher road would be in store.

Again, I'm not saying that they aren't a really good team.  They are.  But, to act like he is accomplishing amazing feats by winning 30 a year with their schedule and getting to the Sweet 16 however many times they have in a row, is not right.

So you are saying 4 straight sweet 16 at least 3 straight Elite 8 (4 if they win tonight), and a NC appearance is not impressive?  I believe our fans would consider that successful and impressive if the Hogs did that. That is laughable if that is not impressive to you.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Brass Knob on March 26, 2009, 12:02:58 pm
So you are saying 4 straight sweet 16 at least 3 straight Elite 8 (4 if they win tonight), and a NC appearance is not impressive?  I believe our fans would consider that successful and impressive if the Hogs did that. That is laughable if that is not impressive to you.

No, I'm saying that winning 30 games a year and doing what Memphis has done in the NCAAT is LESS impressive than it would be if they were doing it in a non-high school conference.

It's a lot easier to basically have a default 25 wins in the regular season, without even having to break a sweat.  Then, they get to the Tournament and can focus their energies on that.  Then, because they get favorable seed (due to people loving a gaudy record), they go further in the NCAAT than they really should.  And, the cycle continues.

It's like the people saying that Boise State should have a couple of National Championships in football because they beat a couple of teams from "name" conferences, with questionable motivation, in their bowl games at the end of the year. 

Anyone can get up for a couple of games against tough competition and squeeze out a couple of wins.  It is WAAAY more difficult to stay at a high level all season.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 12:10:54 pm
No, I'm saying that winning 30 games a year and doing what Memphis has done in the NCAAT is LESS impressive than it would be if they were doing it in a non-high school conference.

It's a lot easier to basically have a default 25 wins in the regular season, without even having to break a sweat.  Then, they get to the Tournament and can focus their energies on that.  Then, because they get favorable seed (due to people loving a gaudy record), they go further in the NCAAT than they really should.  And, the cycle continues.

It's like the people saying that Boise State should have a couple of National Championships in football because they beat a couple of teams from "name" conferences, with questionable motivation, in their bowl games at the end of the year. 

Anyone can get up for a couple of games against tough competition and squeeze out a couple of wins.  It is WAAAY more difficult to stay at a high level all season.
I know that it is difficult to realize how you come off even though others see it clearly. That's why you need friends...friends to tell you that your breath is bad or you need to use deodorant. Things like that. In that same vein, consider me a friend who is telling you that the content of your posts on this issue are making you appear to be a simpleton...not putting you in good light.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 12:30:30 pm
I know that it is difficult to realize how you come off even though others see it clearly. That's why you need friends...friends to tell you that your breath is bad or you need to use deodorant. Things like that. In that same vein, consider me a friend who is telling you that the content of your posts on this issue are making you appear to be a simpleton...not putting you in good light.

I'm not going to respond to your insults.  Although, I don't think Moderators should insult members of Hogville in the manner you are attempting to insult me.

Memphis gets way too much credit for what they do every year, just like Boise State does in football.  They are big fish in small ponds.  Put them in a big pond for an entire year (not just 5-10 days a year), and they'd get eaten alive.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 12:37:30 pm
I'm not going to respond to your insults.  Although, I don't think Moderators should insult members of Hogville in the manner you are attempting to insult me.

Memphis gets way too much credit for what they do every year, just like Boise State does in football.  They are big fish in small ponds.  Put them in a big pond for an entire year (not just 5-10 days a year), and they'd get eaten alive.
You need a friend to tell you that you should be more receptive to the truth.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 12:49:24 pm

If I told you the truth about how you come off to others on this board, I doubt you'd consider me a friend.

heathtits

What don't you get about them making it to the FINAL last year and the Elite 8 the year before? That means they had to win 5 games against top teams, including the final four. They were a prayer away from WINNING the national title. You're saying they're weak conference schedule makes that a fluke?

Although I don't hold them to the same standard as a few others, to say they'd get "eaten" alive is really not very smart.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 12:52:31 pm
If I told you the truth about how you come off to others on this board, I doubt you'd consider me a friend.

My thoughts on Memphis has been known for a while here.

I agree with The Hogfather though. Memphis has made their current run of 4 straight sweet 16s with 2 #2 seeds and 2 #1 seeds (I think that's right). That means that the road to the sweet 16 is easier. Also, with a high seed like that, they get more preference over where their games are played. Last year I know they got sent to Little Rock for the first round, that's an advantage for them, it just is.

I don't like Calipari's smug thoughts about everything. I actually halfway liked Memphis before he got there. That and they were never a threat to my Razorbacks. Now? They're the Indianapolis Colts of college basketball. Media darlings who always should win, but never do (In the Colts case one championship).

The Hogfather

Quote from: heathtits on March 26, 2009, 01:42:51 pm
What don't you get about them making it to the FINAL last year and the Elite 8 the year before? That means they had to win 5 games against top teams, including the final four. They were a prayer away from WINNING the national title. You're saying they're weak conference schedule makes that a fluke?

Although I don't hold them to the same standard as a few others, to say they'd get "eaten" alive is really not very smart.

They wouldn't be able to coast through the year, like they currently do in the CUSA.  They'd have more losses during the regular season, causing them to get a lower seed, causing it to be harder to have the same success in the NCAAT, causing recruits to not find them as desirable, causing them to lose more games, causing them to win even less, causing them to get even lower seeds, causing them to have even less success in the NCAAT, etc.

Again, they have a very good program.  They have a really, really good coach.

They would not have the same caliber of program if they were in one of the BCS conferences, IN MY OPINION.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: heathtits on March 26, 2009, 01:42:51 pm

Well, their first game last year was against some bad mid-major team. After that Miss. St. was decent in the second round. Michigan St. is always solid. Texas in Houston was a big win. UCLA in the Final Four was also a good win. But here's the thing, Memphis had three NBA players on that team. They should have made that run. Talent solves a lot of problems. It wasn't until they matched up with Kansas, with similar talent and a better coach that they fell.

This year's team is nice, but I don't see them making a similar run. I'm not sold on Tyreke Evans. For instance they had to get bailed out by that Sallie kid in round 1, if not for him, Cal's probably sitting at home crying about officiating or something.

heathtits

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 01:49:14 pm
They wouldn't be able to coast through the year, like they currently do in the CUSA.  They'd have more losses during the regular season, causing them to get a lower seed, causing it to be harder to have the same success in the NCAAT, causing recruits to not find them as desirable, causing them to lose more games, causing them to win even less, causing them to get even lower seeds, causing them to have even less success in the NCAAT, etc.

Again, they have a very good program.  They have a really, really good coach.

They would not have the same caliber of program if they were in one of the BCS conferences, IN MY OPINION.

Fair enough, we are probably more in agreeance about them than not.

I can't wait for them to go down to Mizzou though.

Hoggy1

Say what you want, everyone knows WE AS FANS would be satisfied with him leading the Razorbacks.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

HognotinMemphis

I know how I come off to others on this board. You just don't get it, do you scott?

I am trying to get you to see reality...see yourself the way others see you.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 26, 2009, 01:46:15 pm
My thoughts on Memphis has been known for a while here.

I agree with The Hogfather though. Memphis has made their current run of 4 straight sweet 16s with 2 #2 seeds and 2 #1 seeds (I think that's right). That means that the road to the sweet 16 is easier. Also, with a high seed like that, they get more preference over where their games are played. Last year I know they got sent to Little Rock for the first round, that's an advantage for them, it just is.

I don't like Calipari's smug thoughts about everything. I actually halfway liked Memphis before he got there. That and they were never a threat to my Razorbacks. Now? They're the Indianapolis Colts of college basketball. Media darlings who always should win, but never do (In the Colts case one championship).
Gosh, I know that the Memphis Tigers and their coach are all tore up due to your opinion of them.

Translation: no one gives a shthat you think Calipari is smug.

lovetthog1

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 05:56:56 pm
Gosh, I know that the Memphis Tigers and their coach are all tore up due to your opinion of them.

Probably not. But seeing as how this thread is about the man, I think it would only make sense to express my opinion, no?

rzrbackrob

Tiger High bandwagon fans will go back to rooting for the LA Lakers in basketball and Steelers in football as soon as the tigers lose. The man love for Cal makes me throw-up a little in my mouth. :puke:

Good is the enemy of great

Earl

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2009, 08:11:56 pm
heathtits dont give up on the hogs. we are in real bad shape right now. and the next few years look bad too. but i ask you to please dont give up on the program. these are very dark days.

That is some funny stuff right there, FCJ trying to sound positive, he just couldn't quite pull it off...Close tho Joe but no cigar, try harder, you can do it....LMAO

Brass Knob

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 26, 2009, 06:23:19 pm
Tiger High bandwagon fans will go back to rooting for the LA Lakers in basketball and Steelers in football as soon as the tigers lose. The man love for Cal makes me throw-up a little in my mouth. :puke:

I like the Tigers but I also root for the Bulls and Nuggets in basketball and the Bears in football.  I do not understand all the hatred for Cal on this board and believe any Hog fan would not mind having him here after a year or two of Memphis like results in Fayetteville. 

Earl

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 12:49:24 pm

You need a close friend to tell you that people would like you if you were not such an arrogant prick.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 05:55:22 pm
I know how I come off to others on this board. You just don't get it, do you scott?

I am trying to get you to see reality...see yourself the way others see you.

Ditto.

Hint:  Think Christian Bale's character from "American Psycho", mixed with Bill O'Reilly, minus an education, and obviously shaped by the environment in which you live, America's largest craphole, Memphis, TN.

ironside

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 25, 2009, 08:34:19 pm
That's the worst part. The bandwagoneers. The ones that you've never heard talk about basketball until Memphis started winning basketball games. So many brand new Memphis Tigers t-shirts around town, it's ridiculous.

You can't go to the grocery store without seeing everyone wearing tiger high t-shirts. Daughter is in kindergarten and whole class had to wear memphis gear today. I thought about sending her in hog gear, but not much point this year, so we went with the memphis cheerleading outfit.
These tough fans for hogs proves what real fans do. Having said that, Go TIGERS! I'm on the bandwagon too.

Brass Knob

Fact.  Memphis has won more NCAA tourney games the last two seasons than the entire SEC combined.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Brass Knob on March 26, 2009, 08:28:27 pm
Fact.  Memphis has won more NCAA tourney games the last two seasons than the entire SEC combined.

That's great.  I already said Memphis is a good team, with a very, very good coach, and that they benefit from receiving better seeds than they deserve.

I'm talking about Memphis right now, not the SEC.

heathtits

Talk about egg right in your face. Double digits hoginmemphis? Really wish I would have made that bet.

The Hogfather

102 points on the "best defense in college basketball".  What a freaking joke.

Pork Twain

I doubt you would still be posting here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The Hogfather

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ironside on March 26, 2009, 06:58:07 pm
You can't go to the grocery store without seeing everyone wearing tiger high t-shirts. Daughter is in kindergarten and whole class had to wear memphis gear today. I thought about sending her in hog gear, but not much point this year, so we went with the memphis cheerleading outfit.
These tough fans for hogs proves what real fans do. Having said that, Go TIGERS! I'm on the bandwagon too.

haha. The thing about the Memphis shirts is that they're all brand-new! I went to the Studio On the Square last week, and there were these University of Memphis t-shirts these people were wearing, probably got them that day, just disgusting.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 05:56:56 pm

I guess my words had some sort of impact. They looked a little distracted from their game tonight.

I will admit one thing though, I was wrong about Calipari being smug. I thought he almost pulled off the fake humble thing after the game. Talked about how great Missouri played and everything. Good guy that John Nutt...I mean Houston Calipari...I mean...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 11:17:26 pm
102 points on the "best defense in college basketball".  What a freaking joke.
I thought Memphis benefited from higher seeding? So losing to the #3 seed when you are a #2 seed is "a freaking joke"? Even when the other team is banking in 3 pointers and hitting 65 foot contested buzzer shots?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: heathtits on March 26, 2009, 10:18:59 pm
Talk about egg right in your face. Double digits hoginmemphis? Really wish I would have made that bet.
It's a game...anything can happen. If they played again, it could easily be a similar score with Memphis winning. How did the Hogs beat LSU this year in football?  How did the basketball Hogs beat OU and Texas? It was flukey, no?

No egg on my face...if Mo and Memphis played again, I'd guess a 10 point win by Memphis.

The Hogfather

March 27, 2009, 07:39:41 am #85 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:43:10 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 07:29:33 am
I thought Memphis benefited from higher seeding? So losing to the #3 seed when you are a #2 seed is "a freaking joke"? Even when the other team is banking in 3 pointers and hitting 65 foot contested buzzer shots?

No.  The "analysts" and people like you calling Memphis' defense the best in college basketball is a joke.  It is obvious their numbers are/were skewed by the sorry competition they play for most of the year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 07:32:08 am
It's a game...anything can happen. If they played again, it could easily be a similar score with Memphis winning. How did the Hogs beat LSU this year in football?  How did the basketball Hogs beat OU and Texas? It was flukey, no?

No egg on my face...if Mo and Memphis played again, I'd guess a 10 point win by Memphis.

You honestly think this was just a fluke, don't you?

From what I saw, Missouri tried everything they could to give that game away for the last 10 minutes.  I say Missouri would win 6 out of 10 against Memphis.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2009, 07:39:41 am
No.  The "analysts" and people like you calling Memphis' defense the best in college basketball is a joke.  It is obvious their numbers are skewed by the sorry competition they play for most of the year.
Do you feel better about yourself now? Is your manhood secure?

So Missouri is better than Memphis. Great. Now, for you main feat, get the Hogs to be better than either Memphis or Missouri. Good luck.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 07:43:04 am
Do you feel better about yourself now? Is your manhood secure?

So Missouri is better than Memphis. Great. Now, for you main feat, get the Hogs to be better than either Memphis or Missouri. Good luck.

Sucks to be wrong, huh?  I'm sure you're used to it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2009, 07:44:09 am
Sucks to be wrong, huh?  I'm sure you're used to it.
I wasn't wrong about Arkansas this year. I wish Arkansas made the Sweet 16 this year. I am wrong occasionally but I am right a lot more than I am wrong.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 09:08:39 am
I wasn't wrong about Arkansas this year. I wish Arkansas made the Sweet 16 this year. I am wrong occasionally but I am right a lot more than I am wrong.

I believe you.  I still don't know why you are talking about Arkansas.  We're supposed to be discussing Memphis here and how they're going to dominate Missouri and how their defense is the best in college basketball.  I wish Arkansas had made the Sweet 16 as well.  But, any reasonable fan could see before the season that it was highly, highly unlikely.

Creating a diversion.  You're so clever....

No one will ever notice that you were wrong about Memphis.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: heathtits on March 25, 2009, 08:07:17 pm
I've decided whoever wins between Memphis and Mizzou will be the team I follow the next 2-3 years.

So why are you on HOGville?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 27, 2009, 09:31:00 am
I would like to take the time to reiterate that Calipari is an awful "in game" coach.
We heard you the first time. Since you did, I'll take the time to say again that Memphis has been in the Sweet 16 four consecutive years and was in Elite Eight the two prior to this. I'd take that AND Calipari at Arkansas over what we have had for the past 13 seasons in 1/1000th of a heartbeat.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 10:59:50 am
We heard you the first time. Since you did, I'll take the time to say again that Memphis has been in the Sweet 16 four consecutive years and was in Elite Eight the two prior to this. I'd take that AND Calipari at Arkansas over what we have had for the past 13 seasons in 1/1000th of a heartbeat.

There's the Arkansas diversion tactic again.  Put us in CUSA and we'd be going to Sweet 16s every year too.  It might take a year or two, but after we got going, we'd dominated CUSA as well (and get favorable seeds in the NCAAT).

I'd take Calipari at Arkansas as well.  I don't think he's nearly as horrible as some here are saying.  He'd be able to get the players needed to win a National Championship here.  It is, and always has been with him, a matter of using that talent to win a Championship that I'd worry about.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2009, 11:05:31 am
There's the Arkansas diversion tactic again.  Put us in CUSA and we'd be going to Sweet 16s every year too.  It might take a year or two, but after we got going, we'd dominated CUSA as well (and get favorable seeds in the NCAAT).

I'd take Calipari at Arkansas as well.  I don't think he's nearly as horrible as some here are saying.  He'd be able to get the players needed to win a National Championship here.  It is, and always has been with him, a matter of using that talent to win a Championship that I'd worry about.
Arkansas and Sweet 16's? Are you kidding me? Don't talk to me about Arkansas and Sweet 16's. Arkansas and Sweet 16's? Heck, I just hope the Hogs can win a game in the NCAAT.

No way Arkansas makes the Sweet 16 four years in a row with the personnel they've had the past decade, no matter what conference they play in or seeding they'd get.

heathtits

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 11:14:03 am
Arkansas and Sweet 16's? Are you kidding me? Don't talk to me about Arkansas and Sweet 16's. Arkansas and Sweet 16's? Heck, I just hope the Hogs can win a game in the NCAAT.

No way Arkansas makes the Sweet 16 four years in a row with the personnel they've had the past decade, no matter what conference they play in or seeding they'd get.

You were so wrong brutha. Just woke up from celebrating on a thirsty Thursday.

Tell me this, was that egg on your face good for breakfast?

M-I-Z...Z-O-U.

heathtits

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2009, 11:14:03 am

They'd get better personnel after they built up their records vs. CUSA competition for a couple of years.  That's the part that you aren't comprehending.  Memphis is built up as one of the best programs in the nation.  When, in fact, if they were in another league, they'd lose more games each year and wouldn't look as attractive to potential recruits.  They'd get less stars, causing them to lose more games, causing them to get worse seeds in the NCAAT, causing them to not get as far in the NCAAT, causing them to look less attractive as a program.  They have a nice setup right now.

And yes, even with the players we've had over the past 5 years, we could probably win at least 12 games a year in CUSA.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2009, 11:20:37 am
They'd get better personnel after they built up their records vs. CUSA competition for a couple of years.  That's the part that you aren't comprehending.  Memphis is built up as one of the best programs in the nation.  When, in fact, if they were in another league, they'd lose more games each year and wouldn't look as attractive to potential recruits.  They'd get less stars, causing them to lose more games, causing them to get worse seeds in the NCAAT, causing them to not get as far in the NCAAT, causing them to look less attractive as a program.  They have a nice setup right now.

And yes, even with the players we've had over the past 5 years, we could probably win at least 12 games a year in CUSA.

To my point, over the last 6 years:

2003-04

Arkansas (12-16) won @ Tulsa 81-74

2004-05

Arkansas (18-12) won vs. Tulsa 85-73

2005-06

Arkansas (22-10) won vs. Southern Miss 77-35
Arkansas (22-10) won vs. Rice 80-61

2006-07

Arkansas (21-14) won vs. Tulsa 68-59

2007-08

None

2008-09

None

The Hogfather

That's a 5-0 record for Arkansas against CUSA over the past 6 years, for the mathematically challenged.